As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread - Own DA2? Want a free copy of Mass Effect 2 on PC? Check the OP!

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that is a pretty good idea

party terminals are not nearly frequent enough

there should be one everywhere

Elendil on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of bugs I got hit a couple times with the (by now) standard Bioware Cutscene Head Wonkiness Bug(tm). In more than a couple conversations, Varric's head would start to jitter and bounce around, like it couldn't figure out where to focus. By the end of the cutscene his face would be kind of be facing off some random direction while vibrating furiously. Didn't do anything quite so dramatic as fly off into the camera, but it did look like he drank way too much lyrium-laced coffee.

Dartboy on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Speaking of bugs I got hit a couple times with the (by now) standard Bioware Cutscene Head Wonkiness Bug(tm). In more than a couple conversations, Varric's head would start to jitter and bounce around, like it couldn't figure out where to focus. By the end of the cutscene his face would be kind of be facing off some random direction while vibrating furiously. Didn't do anything quite so dramatic as fly off into the camera, but it did look like he drank way too much lyrium-laced coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDanX-beShQ

? :lol:

Blurbl on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really wish I didnt have to play with Anders, but if you play on hard and you are not a mage you've got to have the healing. Dammit Merril why couldn't you have the heal tree!

This, so much. I hate having to mod a game just to be able to play without anders. damnit! Why do I have to
    lose my sister to the circle/wardens/death??????

envoy1 on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One thing I kinda wish the game had is after the Deep Roads.
    If Bethany went to the Circle, I think there there should have been a point where you can visit her in the Gallows to talk to her about what the Circle is like. I mean they did include a letter from her, but I think it might have been more effective if you actually had to go through some security or something to talk to her.

Zaylenz on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    If Bethany went to the Circle, I think there there should have been a point where you can visit her in the Gallows to talk to her about what the Circle is like. I mean they did include a letter from her, but I think it might have been more effective if you actually had to go through some security or something to talk to her.

Once you join the Circle, you're not really allowed to see your family anymore.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

Yeah, that always confused me. In the mage origin there's that one senior enchanter that they said his family was coming to take away or something like that.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's as Anders said, "They'll throw you in jail if you even so much as ask about your child!" Bad things happen to mages who try to contact their families, and visa-versa.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've finally found some free time to play Dragon Age II, and it has been awesome so far. Just completed Act I after about 30 hours and I'm having a blast. I really enjoyed DA:O and Awakenings, but it took me forever to finish them. This game is really drawing me in, and I think Bioware changed every single annoyance I had with the first game.

One question: are romances exclusive? Like, if I start a romance with Isabela, does that prevent a future romance with Merril? Does one need to be started before the other? I think my FemHawke would like to do everyone.

Sneakman on
    Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
    edited March 2011
    Sneakman wrote: »
    I've finally found some free time to play Dragon Age II, and it has been awesome so far. Just completed Act I after about 30 hours and I'm having a blast. I really enjoyed DA:O and Awakenings, but it took me forever to finish them. This game is really drawing me in, and I think Bioware changed every single annoyance I had with the first game.

One question: are romances exclusive? Like, if I start a romance with Isabela, does that prevent a future romance with Merril? Does one need to be started before the other? I think my FemHawke would like to do everyone.

You can start a romance with Isabela or Fenris largely commitment free in act 2 and starting their romances and having sex with them doesn't cut you off from anything. But not breaking the romance off after having sex with Anders or Merrill will make them exclusive, as they move into your house if you choose to continue it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So apparently I did get the Isabela bug...I just didn't notice it because you know playing two-handed warrior it isn't hard to boost your attack speed up to stupid levels.

I think I'll wait for a patch before finishing my second playthrough. I'm already in Act 2 but I was planning on using Isabela as one of my mainstays for this run so I don't want to get hit by that.

Dragkonias on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, what sustains should I actually be using as a warrior tank? It seems I have a choice of Shield wall, Bravery/Battle Synergy and Turn the Blade/Elemental Aegis, and that's without Aveline's sustains I modded in. I have pretty much no stamina with even 2 of those on.

And which sustain is better for threat generation; the Bravery upgrade (+50% threat gen per enemy) or the the Battle Synergy one (50% threat transfer from party).

Blurbl on
  • SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can start a romance with Isabela or Fenris largely commitment free in act 2 and starting their romances and having sex with them doesn't cut you off from anything. But not breaking the romance off after having sex with Anders or Merrill will make them exclusive, as they move into your house if you choose to continue it.

Thank you Pancake, this really helps.

Sneakman on
    Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So apparently I did get the Isabela bug...I just didn't notice it because you know playing two-handed warrior it isn't hard to boost your attack speed up to stupid levels.

I think I'll wait for a patch before finishing my second playthrough. I'm already in Act 2 but I was planning on using Isabela as one of my mainstays for this run so I don't want to get hit by that.

My first play was with a mage and I told Isabela to shove it... so she really didn't get a chance to do much damage. I had her icon even after she left (which struck me as odd) but apparently it hadn't stacked enough for me to really notice a difference.

My second, with an archer... damn. It stacked ridiculously in a short period of time. One moment I'm fine, and the next I was at -55% attack speed. Thankfully I have a saved game editor, but I can't imagine what that'd be like on a console. It would have killed my will to play the game.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
    edited March 2011
    Ahahahahahahaha oh my god
    ‘As a homosexual playing Dragon Age 2, I’ve witnessed the worst stereotype homosexual characters in this game. If you refused to make your moves on a gay character then you are received rivalry points for not wanting to be gay for the character.

This is completely wrong, homosexuals do not approach people and force them to kiss us, the person that wrote this game should be fired for stereotyping homosexuals in such a disrespectful way, as well as creating the worst writing in characters, plot and everything else in DA2.

It felt very odd that my male companions kept making passes at me, when I never found any interest or even flirted with them. This sort of thing shows that gays are unable to be normal people and think nothing about sex. This is the type of garbage that has people believe that gays shouldn’t serve in the military. We are human beings that are the same as everyone else!

Please sign this petition if you wish that Dragon Age senior writer David Gaider should be fired.’

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited March 2011

It's as Anders said, "They'll throw you in jail if you even so much as ask about your child!" Bad things happen to mages who try to contact their families, and visa-versa.

That seems kinda stupid of the Templars/Chantry. How many mages would be fine staying in the Circle if they could see their families or spouses every once in a while. Why completely isolate them from family like that? It really doesn't make any sense.

Zaylenz on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anders Act 2 quest.
    I head into the sewers to help him dig through urine.

Out of the blue he tells me that Merrill would choose her demons over me.

"Merrill loves me."

"Fine, keep your delusions. Maker knows I won't be the one to take them from you."

Anders is, truly, a stupid asshole.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Even with Goad and Armistice, Varric is constantly getting bent over in combat.

Did you guys pump his Con up at all in your playthroughs? I find he's my best damage but gets wailed on repeatedly, and dies quite often as a result. (He's some kind of Revenant & Assassin magnet)

Priest on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

That seems kinda stupid of the Templars/Chantry. How many mages would be fine staying in the Circle if they could see their families or spouses every once in a while. Why completely isolate them from family like that? It really doesn't make any sense.
    Since they try to get them as kids, most of them probably don't have spouses. And their kids are taken away

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    ‘As a homosexual playing Dragon Age 2, I’ve witnessed the worst stereotype homosexual characters in this game. If you refused to make your moves on a gay character then you are received rivalry points for not wanting to be gay for the character.

This is completely wrong, homosexuals do not approach people and force them to kiss us, the person that wrote this game should be fired for stereotyping homosexuals in such a disrespectful way, as well as creating the worst writing in characters, plot and everything else in DA2.

It felt very odd that my male companions kept making passes at me, when I never found any interest or even flirted with them. This sort of thing shows that gays are unable to be normal people and think nothing about sex. This is the type of garbage that has people believe that gays shouldn’t serve in the military. We are human beings that are the same as everyone else!

Please sign this petition if you wish that Dragon Age senior writer David Gaider should be fired.’

You laugh, but he's right. BioWare games are full of terrible gay stereotypes, probably in service to the white heterosexual male gamer, which was, in turn, not catered to because Isabela is too "exotic."

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

Since they try to get them as kids, most of them probably don't have spouses. And their kids are taken away

Well when I said spouse I was thinking of the Elf Mage in the On the Loose quest. Apostates who are captured might have wives/husbands. And why not let siblings or parents visit or something. It still doesn't make much sense to me to isolate them from their family. How many mages attempt to escape so they can see family? I can think of a few just in DA2.

Zaylenz on
  • ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm not sure I really understand the "no family" rule for Circle Mages. It seems pretty damned easy to stop by the Gallows in Kirkwall or drop by the Templar's base and say "yo, what's up?" Mages are also sent outside the Circle often enough. Do they mean to say there's a rule against stopping in on family in between Circle business?

"Hey, I'm after some Maleficar next door... but I thought I'd just say hi, mom."

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Priest wrote: »
    Even with Goad and Armistice, Varric is constantly getting bent over in combat.

Did you guys pump his Con up at all in your playthroughs? I find he's my best damage but gets wailed on repeatedly, and dies quite often as a result. (He's some kind of Revenant & Assassin magnet)

I don't think I ever raised Varric's con above 15 or so.

If he's getting attacked you're probably not managing threat well.

That being said...I remember hearing somewhere that Goad and Armistice are borked on consoles.

So if you're playing on one that might be your problem.

Dragkonias on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Uh guys, I think you forgot that Bethany was sent to the
    Ferelden Circle IIRC.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ferelden Circle IIRC.
    She mentions creepy old Alrik in her letter, and you run into her during the qunari attack fighting with Orsino.

so I don't think she was

Elendil on
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Ferelden Circle IIRC.
    She mentions creepy old Alrik in her letter, and you run into her during the qunari attack fighting with Orsino.

so I don't think she was
    Perhaps you're thinking of the Wardens. She gets caught up with the Ferelden Wardens (As there isn't any standing Free Marcher Warden Group.

However she gets nabbed by the Kirkwall Circle

Priest on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You laugh, but he's right. BioWare games are full of terrible gay stereotypes, probably in service to the white heterosexual male gamer, which was, in turn, not catered to because Isabela is too "exotic."

Isabela is pretty exotic.

I mean, she only has 2 breasts, and she doesn't have a tail or cat ears even.

How is a normal gamer supposed to get turned on by that?

Regina Fong on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The world is made of malcontents who will find any reason to bitch about anything.

spamfilter on
  • CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've made it though the first act with all three class now and I think I've decided to go with a mage for the rest of my first plaything. Rogue's are definitely the most improved character this time around, but IMHO warriors deserve to get a serious makeover for the next game. Playing on the 360 the increased speed of combat and the need to "button mash" would be fine if the warrior's attacks had more "impact" as it is even when swinging a 2-hander the basic attacks feel like the auto-attacks of a MMORPG with the blade just "whiffing" though enemies until they are pecked down. Still overall loving the game even if it feels a little rough around the edges from the short dev cycle. At the end of the day though I''m willing to accept cut and paste environments if it means an annual release.

A few question about rune mechanics I wanted to get a verification on - do runes on weapons only effect the "basic attack" of the weapon, or will for example a "+5 to fire" damage on a staff increase the damage of your mage's fireball as well? And if I have a Staff that does Ice damage and add a +5 fire rune does it now do Fire and Ice damage with its basic attack or is the bonus only on attacks that already did fire damage?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Cleveralias on
    jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've made it though the first act with all three class now and I think I've decided to go with a mage for the rest of my first plaything. Rogue's are definitely the most improved character this time around, but IMHO warriors deserve to get a serious makeover for the next game. Playing on the 360 the increased speed of combat and the need to "button mash" would be fine if the warrior's attacks had more "impact" as it is even when swinging a 2-hander the basic attacks feel like the auto-attacks of a MMORPG with the blade just "whiffing" though enemies until they are pecked down. Still overall loving the game even if it feels a little rough around the edges from the short dev cycle. At the end of the day though I''m willing to accept cut and paste environments if it means an annual release.

A few question about rune mechanics I wanted to get a verification on - do runes on weapons only effect the "basic attack" of the weapon, or will for example a "+5 to fire" damage on a staff increase the damage of your mage's fireball as well? And if I have a Staff that does Ice damage and add a +5 fire rune does it now do Fire and Ice damage with its basic attack or is the bonus only on attacks that already did fire damage?

I would give the Warrior another chance. Get them a decent weapon and use Cleave every time it's up, and you'll be exploding dudes everywhere. Easily the class with the most combat impact. Not to say Mage and Rogue aren't great as well, though. :)

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • spencermmspencermm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's worth noting that what he's bitching about happens exactly once, with Anders, who has a binary view of the world. It stands to reason that if you rebuff his advances, he'd take it as an insult. Also, choosing a response marked as flirting, in that situation, doesn't force you into a relationship with him.

But remember: if you don't like someone, complain until they get fired or jailed.

spencermm on
    edited March 2011

Not 100% sure, but I think a "+5 fire damage" rune will add +5 damage to a basic attack, and rogue/warrior talents, but not spells. But adding that +5 fire rune to a staff that does ice damage will still give you the staff's ice damage, plus the 5 fire damage. Again, I'm guessing, based largely on my memory of Origins, so I could be full of it.

I feel like warriors are the least improved of the classes, and I think that hurts them. But they're better at what they were supposed to do from the start, which is control the battlefield and to damage to groups of people. I prefer rogue, since it fits my personality, and I've found that a well-built rogue makes warriors unnecessary. I'm working on a warrior playthrough right now, it's the last of the three; I'm enjoying it a lot, it's satisfying to swing that ridiculous greatsword around and fling corpses (and pieces of corpses) through the air.

spencermm on
    edited March 2011
    spencermm wrote: »

It's worth noting that what he's bitching about happens exactly once, with Anders, who has a binary view of the world. It stands to reason that if you rebuff his advances, he'd take it as an insult. Also, choosing a response marked as flirting, in that situation, doesn't force you into a relationship with him.

But remember: if you don't like someone, complain until they get fired or jailed.

I think he's being completely reasonable. Can you imagine a gay man making a pass at you in a videogame? Especially if you're gay and/or not gay?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Please tell me that petition isn't getting many signatures.
    I think he's being completely reasonable. Can you imagine a gay man making a pass at you in a videogame? Especially if you're gay and/or not gay?
    How so? He is literally saying that a character reacting poorly to rejection is a stereotype of homosexuals.

E: does anyone even know which character or characters he's referring to, and when this happens? I'm a male and neither Anders nor Fenris has made a pass at me yet.

Torso Boy on
    edited March 2011
    Like, 150 or so. So not really, no. But still sadly too many for them all to be joke signatures.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Please tell me that petition isn't getting many signatures.
    How so? He is literally saying that a character reacting poorly to rejection is a stereotype of homosexuals.

E: does anyone even know which character or characters he's referring to, and when this happens? I'm a male and neither Anders nor Fenris has made a pass at me yet.

Pancake.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damnit. In my haste, I didn't notice.

Torso Boy on
  • PWN_JuiCe_SuCKaPWN_JuiCe_SuCKa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

wait the white male gamer doesn´t like exotic women? wait....what? I don´t even think this is a real stereotype you must just have some kind of strange angst with white male gamers.

As for the gay thing the gay relationships are treated the same as the female ones. I reject a woman in the game it gives me rivalry points too. Does this show that women are unable to be normal people and think about nothing but sex? Nope it doesn´t. So all I can say to that guy is Welcome to Equality.

PWN_JuiCe_SuCKa on
    edited March 2011
    spencermm wrote: »

I'm not really sure what you're asking. I can absolutely imagine a gay man making a pass at me in a videogame, just like I can imagine a gay man making a pass at me in real life. Because both things have happened. It's noteworthy, because it doesn't happen a lot, but it's not strange or weird to me. It's just part of life. I just think the guy is being overly sensitive, and to think that David Gaider should be fired because this guy doesn't like something that can easily be explained by the nature of the character in question is ridiculous.

To quote the game itself, "some people go out of their way to be offended."

spencermm on
This discussion has been closed.