As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stan Lee presents: [chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Oh by the way, kids, take note here. I told my co-workers I determined my level of teasing on how much sex I thought they were having. If I thought someone was getting laid erryday I would tease them more and I'd be nice to people whose love life is best described by America's Horse With No Name.

It works out perfectly: the people I tease are happy because they know I think they have loads of sex and the people I don't tease are glad I'm nice to them.

Maybe it works the other way around, and the people that you tease get laid more because of it.

He should have sex with the coworkers that he thinks isn't having sex and deny sex with the coworkers that he thinks are having a lot of sex to make the workplace more egalitarian.

I'm going to put this to the test on Monday at my own job and will call it the New Workplace Equality Policy. Everyone will have to sign up with how much sex they are currently having. The people who are having no or little sex will have to make up for it by having sex with me to make the workplace more equal.

It's progressive.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    hands are for eating or pooping so there's no shaking of hands for cleanliness reasons

O_o:shock:O_o:shock:

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Marvel v Capcom is hard.

Quid on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Oh by the way, kids, take note here. I told my co-workers I determined my level of teasing on how much sex I thought they were having. If I thought someone was getting laid erryday I would tease them more and I'd be nice to people whose love life is best described by America's Horse With No Name.

It works out perfectly: the people I tease are happy because they know I think they have loads of sex and the people I don't tease are glad I'm nice to them.

Maybe it works the other way around, and the people that you tease get laid more because of it.

He should have sex with the coworkers that he thinks isn't having sex and deny sex with the coworkers that he thinks are having a lot of sex to make the workplace more egalitarian.

I'm going to put this to the test on Monday at my own job and will call it the New Workplace Equality Policy. Everyone will have to sign up with how much sex they are currently having. The people who are having no or little sex will have to make up for it by having sex with me to make the workplace more equal.

It's progressive.

Wow, it looks like everyone is getting laid a ton since you started implementing that policy. The sign up sheet shows everyone as completely maxed out.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the only area of social norms in which i have encountered variable is in chivalry (men waiting on women). Every other area has pretty standard rules where the more polite option is abundantly clear, and the only possible discussion would be how big a deal it is if someone does the less polite thing out of laziness or carelessness.

Chivalry is confusing. I am personally very traditional and tend to hold doors for women, but I am also a feminist and frankly, chivalry and feminism are kind of opposed. To compensate for it, I try to hold the door for just about everyone. But then I don't want to be subservient to everyone in society, so to balance that out I'll slam doors on children and the elderly.

Drez on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's progressive.
    nawww, it's all about what I think, which makes it so nice to everyone involved.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It's progressive.

Wow, it looks like everyone is getting laid a ton since you started implementing that policy. The sign up sheet shows everyone as completely maxed out.

Fuck you.

Can I?

Drez on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They should make handshake machines for people from other cultures to practice on. Just a simple robotic hand with motors and pressure sensors. Maybe come up with a racist rating system to shame them into doing it right.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hands are for eating or pooping so there's no shaking of hands for cleanliness reasons

Hinduism, I think. My brain's not working right, but generally your right hand is for eating and would become unclean and your other hand is unclean so you don't touch people with it, or something.

One of those practices that started way back when for really quite good reasons and has become a religious thing that is still followed.

EDIT: or maybe it is Muslim? God, my brain doesn't know what it's doing today.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    Marvel v Capcom is hard.

Yes. Yes it is.

Or at least it was when I was actually trying to conciously do things.

I found out I'm far better at the game if I just play it hand-seizure style.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

That's the origin of it. There are once practical, but no longer relevant, reasonings behind a lot of etiquette rules.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the only area of social norms in which i have encountered variable is in chivalry (men waiting on women). Every other area has pretty standard rules where the more polite option is abundantly clear, and the only possible discussion would be how big a deal it is if someone does the less polite thing out of laziness or carelessness.

Chivalry is confusing. I am personally very traditional and tend to hold doors for women, but I am also a feminist and frankly, chivalry and feminism are kind of opposed. To compensate for it, I try to hold the door for just about everyone. But then I don't want to be subservient to everyone in society, so to balance that out I'll slam doors on children and the elderly.

I hold doors open just whenever.

I don't pull out chairs because that shit can be tricky and awkward.

And motherfuckers should just learn to jump over puddles.

Winky on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Note: from what I know of cultural taboos, it's not for actual cleanliness regions, just the vague cultural feeling of squick.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They should make handshake machines for people from other cultures to practice on. Just a simple robotic hand with motors and pressure sensors. Maybe come up with a racist rating system to shame them into doing it right.

Yes, with a beautiful porcelain hand and a nice smooth grip and it should go up and down up and down up and down.

Er, like a handshake.

Drez on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Marvel v Capcom is hard.

Do not get discouraged.

Also NEVER play ranked online matches until you've had the game for like three months and even then still don't play them.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I think that's the wrong way to explain it, but Indians tend to greet each other with their palms held together under their chin. I guess it's more a cultural/religious thing than it has anything to do with their hands not being clean. I know there's some fundie Muslims over here who refuse to shake hands with women.

Most dudes I met in India I just shook hands with, I think they thought it was nice to do things the Western way. I didn't meet a lot of overly religious people, though. Haven't shook hands with a single female, mind.

Aldo on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Hinduism, I think. My brain's not working right, but generally your right hand is for eating and would become unclean and your other hand is unclean so you don't touch people with it, or something.

One of those practices that started way back when for really quite good reasons and has become a religious thing that is still followed.

Ah, one hand for each. That makes sense.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011

EDIT: or maybe it is Muslim? God, my brain doesn't know what it's doing today.
    Every restaurant I ever went to had fountains where everyone washed their hands before and after dinner.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yes, with a beautiful porcelain hand and a nice smooth grip and it should go up and down up and down up and down.

Er, like a handshake.

We would be insane not to offer an alternate firmware package.

Available for $34.99 online or shipped to your home disguised as an AOL CD.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I think that's the wrong way to explain it, but Indians tend to greet each other with their palms held together under their chin. I guess it's more a cultural/religious thing than it has anything to do with their hands not being clean. I know there's some fundie Muslims over here who refuse to shake hands with women.

Most dudes I met in India I just shook hands with, I think they thought it was nice to do things the Western way. I didn't meet a lot of overly religious people, though. Haven't shook hands with a single female, mind.

I thought the right way to say hello to people in Asia was to make out with them.

No wonder I spent that night in jail.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On the bright side, Windows 7 i snow running smoothly on my PC.

What's that website with the list of computer apps it can install all at once for you?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

This kind of explains a lot.

I'll keep this mind when being introduced to Indian chicks, which happens quite a bit when you're in biological research.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Er, like a handshake.

We would be insane not to offer an alternate firmware package.

Available for $34.99 online or shipped to your home disguised as an AOL CD.

haha

Drez on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How many Doctors Who will there be in total? I thought it was only 10 or 12 or so.

desc on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, not the best way to describe it (for which I apologise).

It was just a totally awkward moment that is still stuck in my brain 15 years later.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Marvel v Capcom is hard.

Yes. Yes it is.

Or at least it was when I was actually trying to conciously do things.

I found out I'm far better at the game if I just play it hand-seizure style.

I bought a stick, because I'd wanted one for a while anyway, which is awesome because it lets me mash the buttons twice as hard.

But man, I suck.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been playing Civ IV. I think I rolled too large a map, it's 1738 AD and most of the map is empty.

On the upside, I have a city which founded two religions, one of which most of the world follows, and I have Wall Street in it. $$$$

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Marvel v Capcom is hard.

Do not get discouraged.

Also NEVER play ranked online matches until you've had the game for like three months and even then still don't play them.

This is really the best advice.

Although I have determined I will never get air juggling. That shit just ain't happening and if I try to pick it up anymore I'm going to have to deal with a Dualshock shaped hole in my HDTV.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    desc wrote: »
    How many Doctors Who will there be in total? I thought it was only 10 or 12 or so.

As far as I know the regeneration limit has been quietly dropped from the canon.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

A time lord has a maximum regeneration limit of 12. This has been broken before by the Master though and I doubt anyone would be surprised if the Doctor does the same.

Quid on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, not the best way to describe it (for which I apologise).

It was just a totally awkward moment that is still stuck in my brain 15 years later.

did it involve a hand covered in poop?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    japan wrote: »

As far as I know the regeneration limit has been quietly dropped from the canon.

Has it? I'd have thought they'd like to use it for some big story.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Marvel v Capcom is hard.

Do not get discouraged.

This is really the best advice.

Although I have determined I will never get air juggling. That shit just ain't happening and if I try to pick it up anymore I'm going to have to deal with a Dualshock shaped hole in my HDTV.

Air juggling in MvC3 is actually pretty easy and only becomes difficult if you are mashing buttons.

And I'm not saying that like a douche, I'm NOT great a the game by any stretch.

If you hold up after you hit the S button you automatically follow the character into the air. From there, the window isn't huge, but same rules apply on the ground in terms of connecting. light -> medium -> hard is going to connect 9 times out of 10, or medium -> medium -> hard. Then you just hit S again to knock them back to the ground.

Unless you are talking about like, 20 hit air juggles, which yeah, fuck that. It's going to take time.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I see.

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

They still might. I don't think there's an official line on it other than that it is unlikely that the Beeb will stop making the series because of it.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah, they could easily just make a big plot out of it.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

They still might. I don't think there's an official line on it other than that it is unlikely that the Beeb will stop making the series because of it.

That's what I would figure.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There will inevitably be people that swear the series is dead, dead, to them because there is a thirteenth Doctor.

Then they will purchase the DVD box set so that they can watch it with the appropriate degree of disdain.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There will inevitably be people that swear the series is dead, dead, to them because there is a thirteenth Doctor.

Then they will purchase the DVD box set so that they can watch it with the appropriate degree of disdain.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we like to call internet.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    D'awwww.
    “Between me and the sheriff, we threw out enough of it or smoked enough so that there’s only three ounces, which is within my jurisdiction,” Bramblett said.

The fine will be $100 and court costs amount to $278. Bramblett said he’s in contact with Nelson’s lawyer. Next time the singer’s tour schedule brings the Honeysuckle Rose close to Sierra Blanca, Bramblett’s office will be notified and Willie will make a scheduled stop at the Hudspeth County courthouse.

“Willie Nelson is 77 years old and I’m 78,” Bramblett said. “He’s been my favorite artist all my life. We all know he smokes a little pot.”

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.