As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stan Lee presents: [chat]

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I recently took the plunge and quit my job, to devote full time to AdBlock! I'm now relying solely on your donations to support my family.
    Y HALO THAR IRONY

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    So does anyone else use noscript?
    Yes.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I decided I'd start using adblock should the time come that I never clicked on any.

I block ads and/or javascript on a few specific sites, but not generally.

japan on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    So does anyone else use noscript?
    Yes.

it's the best

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I recently took the plunge and quit my job, to devote full time to AdBlock! I'm now relying solely on your donations to support my family.
    Y HALO THAR IRONY

"Pay a mere $20 for a lifetime subscription to AdBlock+, which gets rid of this annoying add-on page!"

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello! I live in a world where people provide content for a free and, as a compromise, end up putting ads on their website. Provided these ads don't do silly things like autoplay videos or roll out over the content I actually want to see, I don't mind them. They're a small price to pay for stuff like free comics, articles on subjects that interest me, and entire encyclopedias devoted to my favourite shows.

So you'll forgive me if I don't use AdBlock. I rather dislike the idea of pinching money out of the pockets of content providers while I'm reading their content.

Kind of my feeling, except that I'm pretty sure most of the time they don't really get any money unless you click their ads. But yeah, a banner here or there just doesn't bug me.

And if suddenly I have giant images rolling across my screen in front of your content, yelling at me to buy a product (and playing sound over my speakers), well guess what: I don't need to read your page that badly, and in fact now I really don't feel like reading it at all.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've just discovered that AdBlock removes the eBook store link from my website.

I am not happy about that.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Hello! I live in a world where people provide content for a free and, as a compromise, end up putting ads on their website. Provided these ads don't do silly things like autoplay videos or roll out over the content I actually want to see, I don't mind them. They're a small price to pay for stuff like free comics, articles on subjects that interest me, and entire encyclopedias devoted to my favourite shows.

So you'll forgive me if I don't use AdBlock. I rather dislike the idea of pinching money out of the pockets of content providers while I'm reading their content.

Kind of my feeling, except that I'm pretty sure most of the time they don't really get any money unless you click their ads. But yeah, a banner here or there just doesn't bug me.

And if suddenly I have giant images rolling across my screen in front of your content, yelling at me to buy a product (and playing sound over my speakers), well guess what: I don't need to read your page that badly, and in fact now I really don't feel like reading it at all.

Actually with sites like mine where the advertiser is paying for presence, not click-throughs, users with AdBlock installed don't count towards page impressions. This reduces my pageview stats and, in turn, reduces the asking price for advertising on my website.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've just discovered that AdBlock removes the eBook store link from my website.

I am not happy about that.

It does seem like kind of a stretch to count that as an "ad".

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    japan wrote: »
    It does seem like kind of a stretch to count that as an "ad".
    Looking at it, it may be because the file for the image link is "advertisement-ebooks.png". Seems silly that AdBlock blocks everything with the name "advertisement" in it. What if I'm on a site about advertising?

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This is what I feel as well. There are times when ads can get really annoying, but for the most part they're not that bad at all, and I don't mind supporting those who give me entertainment.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Whoever came up with the idea of those ads that appear when you rollover keywords in the body text should have something unpleasant happen to them.

Preferably repeatedly and when they least expect it.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have AdBlock installed specifically for when ads do stupid things like this (image link providing example), and I manually blacklist sites accordingly.

Beyond that, though, I don't see the need to block advertising.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Whoever came up with the idea of those ads that appear when you rollover keywords in the body text should have something unpleasant happen to them.

don't you think there's some value in anticipation

Elendil on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

The "repeatedly" takes care of that.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A kickass hobby store in Seattle called American Eagle is closing down in two weeks. I just got back from picking up some 2nd Ed. D&D Spelljammer modules and old miniatures on the cheap.

They also had like the entire run of every 2nd. Ed. D&D Dark Sun and Al Qadim products as well as lots of Ravenloft and other oldies.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    wazilla wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

The "repeatedly" takes care of that.

Also if there was any warning about the specific instances of unpleasantness it wouldn't be as poetic.

japan on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nobody drops Gil in this game. You'd think at least the soldiers would have some on them, the fuck does Psicom pay them in?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A kickass clothing store in Seattle called American Eagle is closing down in two weeks. I just got back from picking up some socks and jeans on the cheap.

They also had like the entire run of polos and clothing products as well as lots of shirts and outerwear.

Fixed.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A kickass hobby store in Seattle called American Eagle is closing down in two weeks. I just got back from picking up some 2nd Ed. D&D Spelljammer modules and old miniatures on the cheap.

They also had like the entire run of every 2nd. Ed. D&D Dark Sun and Al Qadim products as well as lots of Ravenloft and other oldies.

Spelljammer. That brings back some memories.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A kickass clothing store in Seattle called American Eagle is closing down in two weeks. I just got back from picking up some socks and jeans on the cheap.

They also had like the entire run of polos and clothing products as well as lots of shirts and outerwear.

Fixed.

The hobby shop was actually around a lot longer than the clothing people :)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My finals for next week are written!

And tonight some friends are taking me to a bar to get me drunk!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

One isle is pretty much "everything TSR made in the late 80s". They even had a couple sealed box sets of that Buck Rodgers game.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011

This may seem silly, but - if they've got any and all of the Red Dwarf Roleplaying Game books available, snag 'em. They're out of print now and so hard to come by. Not to mention the fact that the Red Dwarf RPG may be one of the most enjoyable tabletop RPs I've ever had the good fortune of playing.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Fuck you hang gliding bit of Far Cry 2. Fuck you right in the ass.

Bogart on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Conspicuous and random vehicle/travel mechanism parts of games are the new underwater level.

Nobody likes them and every game has one.

I'm looking at you Flying Machine mission in AC2.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Conspicuous and random vehicle/travel mechanism parts of games are the new underwater level.

See also: Stealth sections in games that don't feature stealth as a primary mechanic.

japan on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

One isle is pretty much "everything TSR made in the late 80s". They even had a couple sealed box sets of that Buck Rodgers game.

Now that's something I haven't seen in forever.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If Hell is real I believe mine would be a series of annoying sections of games.

Monkey Combat in Monkey Island
    The Fade
    Hang Gliding
    The Mine Cart sections of Donkey Kong Country
    The Copy Protection sections of Space Quest
    etc

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ffffffffffffuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The nearest save point is five minutes walk away, and you have to fight your way through ten dudes to get to the hang glider. The merest misjudgement crashes it into a wall.

Fuck you.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    If Hell is real I believe mine would be a series of annoying sections of games.

Monkey Combat in Monkey Island
    The Fade
    Hang Gliding
    The Mine Cart sections of Donkey Kong Country
    The Copy Protection sections of Space Quest
    etc

The "climb the rotating spiky pillar" section of God of War

japan on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

that one wasn't so bad

and the wagon chase earlier in the game was downright bitchin'

the flying machine is back in assbro, though, and it sucks hard this time

especially since it has one of annoying fucking 100% completion side goals: take no damage whatsoever

Ubisoft: :trollface:

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The minecart sections in Donkey Kong Country were some of the best bits! I'd play a game that was basically just that, over and over.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I want AssBro but 49.99 on PC is just too much.

It's a 29.99 purchase.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If AssCreeBro drops to $19.99 I'll consider it. For now, though, it's not worth the time or money.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    AND IT'S ON A FUCKING CLIFF SO WATCH OUT YOU DON'T FALL OFF LIKE I JUST DID AWEFGFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFASBHLKGGHUJTASKL;RGJVSF'

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Incidentally Lud a friend of mine is working on a Discworld art project for Sir pTerry. Lucky bastard.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

The ones in Bioshock were pretty ace

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.