As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stan Lee presents: [chat]

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also fuck a checkpoint system.

Oh hey you screwed up on the last guy in the last room in Splinter Cell: Conviction?

Time to start you 8 rooms back!

stevemarks44 on
    edited March 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    Conspicuous and random vehicle/travel mechanism parts of games are the new underwater level.

Nobody likes them and every game has one.

I'm looking at you Flying Machine mission in AC2.

The ones in Bioshock were pretty ace

I dont remember this.

stevemarks44 on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Oh hey you screwed up on the last guy in the last room in Splinter Cell: Conviction?

So what you are telling me is that there should be no penalty for fucking up?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    eldrendil, we should do smash bros again sometime

Nerdgasmic on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    assbro is fucking great

Elendil on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    eldrendil

:^:

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sigh I wish I could meet him. Just once.

There are very, very few authors or anything approaching celebrities I can say that about. It's a very short list.

Pratchett
    C.S. Lewis (Obviously impossible)
    Gaiman
    Jim Butcher

That's about it. I wouldn't want to meet Tolkien oddly enough as I just think he was so uncomfortable with fandom.

Ludious on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    A kickass hobby store in Seattle called American Eagle is closing down in two weeks. I just got back from picking up some 2nd Ed. D&D Spelljammer modules and old miniatures on the cheap.

They also had like the entire run of every 2nd. Ed. D&D Dark Sun and Al Qadim products as well as lots of Ravenloft and other oldies.

Spelljammer. That brings back some memories.

One isle is pretty much "everything TSR made in the late 80s". They even had a couple sealed box sets of that Buck Rodgers game.

I still have my two Buck Rogers games. I never did get into Matrix Cubed, but I did beat the SEGA Genesis version of Countdown to Doomsday. The Genesis version was a bit easier (for me, as a kid) than the PC version, but we had both. I am pretty sure I remember my father buying it at a Software Etc.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This is less to do with the checkpoint system and more to do with the placement of the checkpoints.

Checkpoints should be immediately before you are likely to die repeatedly and preferably not in a place where you will typically be extremely short of any restricted resources.

japan on
    edited March 2011
    I sold my wii

Elendil on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Despite its flaws, I really did like Splinter Cell Conviction quite a bit.

It struck a chord with me.

Ludious on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    Sigh I wish I could meet him. Just once.

There are very, very few authors or anything approaching celebrities I can say that about. It's a very short list.

Pratchett
    C.S. Lewis (Obviously impossible)
    Gaiman
    Jim Butcher

That's about it. I wouldn't want to meet Tolkien oddly enough as I just think he was so uncomfortable with fandom.
    I love Pratchett. Love him. Love his work. Everything. I'm so envious of my friend because he's met Pratchett a couple of times now, and once accidentally sang a duet with him in the bathroom of a convention (I shit you not).

They're making plush Death of Rats toys. My friend designed them. Amongst other things.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
    edited March 2011
    I did not actually sell my wii

I should though

Elendil on
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Conspicuous and random vehicle/travel mechanism parts of games are the new underwater level.

that one wasn't so bad

and the wagon chase earlier in the game was downright bitchin'

the flying machine is back in assbro, though, and it sucks hard this time

especially since it has one of annoying fucking 100% completion side goals: take no damage whatsoever

Ubisoft: :trollface:

Yes, that was terribad. Not as bad as...
    The tank though. GO FUCK YOURSELF, TANK.

Drez on
    edited March 2011
    I sold my wii

why do you hurt me like this, baby

I give and I give and I give

and this is what I get

Nerdgasmic on
    edited March 2011
    I need a plush death of rats.

I NEED IT.

Why is it not in my hands right now? Are they for sale yet?

Ludious on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aw yeah. About to watch the Rifftrax version of Reefer Madness.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
    edited March 2011
    but the wii is how you play smash bros, elendil

Nerdgasmic on
    edited March 2011
    I am convinced Ubisoft is intentionally needling completionists at this point

they made the flags easy to get in assbro, but replaced it with way fucking harder shit

Elendil on
    edited March 2011

So what you are telling me is that there should be no penalty for fucking up?

No but as a post below me stated (even though I quoted yours) I just have more of an issue with the placement of checkpoints in that game.

It's like six rooms of LITERALLY nothing. Maybe on guy who is pretty much mark and execute bait and then a really challenging room. When I die in that room I have to go ALL the way back to the six empty rooms where I maybe have to avoid one camera.

There is no challenge so its just a timesuck and an annoyance.

stevemarks44 on
    edited March 2011
    Despite its flaws, I really did like Splinter Cell Conviction quite a bit.

It struck a chord with me.

It was a super fun game and I loved the progression from:
    traditional sam fisher sneak around and fuck dudes up Splinter Cell to NO NEED FOR STEALTH IMMA KILL EVERYONE sam fisher Splinter Cell.

stevemarks44 on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tav wrote: »

The ones in Bioshock were pretty ace

I dont remember this.

There was a fairly short one where you had to go outside underwater to go between two connecting areas. It wasn't anything special gameplay wise, it was just a really nice looking area

however I'm of the opinion that everything in Bioshock looked pretty and I'm looking forward to re-playing it when I have the time

Tav on
    edited March 2011
    the penalty for not fucking up is not advancing

doing stuff you've already done should not be a punishment

Elendil on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Best checkpoint ever:

Modern Warfare 2.

Sub Base mission, on Veteran (or whatever the highest was). Two minute timed objective. Basically it's one of maybe two spots in the entire game where you are time-limited.

I probably ran that thing...maybe upwards of twenty times. I either went to slow (and ran out of time) or went too fast (and died). Finally, I see the words I had been waiting for, letting me know that I had FINALLY reached the checkpoint. I'd never have to do that stupid run down the hill again.

Then I die.

Then, I see exactly how I had reached the checkpoint. My primary rifle empty, and my secondary was an RPG (also empty). Damaged and near death. And surrounded by guys. YAY!
    Managed to get clear of that fiasco after another twenty or so deaths...because FUCK running down that hill again.

mcdermott on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tomorrow I am finding the strongest topical painkilling cream I can for mouth ulcers.

CAUSE THIS IS FUCKING PAINFUL.

Daxon on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Right, going to watch GameWipe. T'rah for now.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
    edited March 2011

Especially when the stuff you're doing is easy, but monotonous. Like, okay you have seven minutes of mind-numbing and unchallenging shit to do to get back to the five hard seconds you can't get past...GO!

Fuck that.

mcdermott on
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Best checkpoint ever:

Modern Warfare 2.

Sub Base mission, on Veteran (or whatever the highest was). Two minute timed objective. Basically it's one of maybe two spots in the entire game where you are time-limited.

I probably ran that thing...maybe upwards of twenty times. I either went to slow (and ran out of time) or went too fast (and died). Finally, I see the words I had been waiting for, letting me know that I had FINALLY reached the checkpoint. I'd never have to do that stupid run down the hill again.

Then I die.

Then, I see exactly how I had reached the checkpoint. My primary rifle empty, and my secondary was an RPG (also empty). Damaged and near death. And surrounded by guys. YAY!
    Managed to get clear of that fiasco after another twenty or so deaths...because FUCK running down that hill again.

The Call of Duty series in general has had some questionable checkpoint positions.

Drez on
    edited March 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Tomorrow I am finding the strongest topical painkilling cream I can for mouth ulcers.

CAUSE THIS IS FUCKING PAINFUL.

Anbesol is okay, but I recommend looking for the Orabase paste. It's nice because it stays there for a while, has little flavor (especially when you're going to eat), and it kills the pain quite effectively.

EDIT: I get them fairly often, and I usually keep a tube around because when you need it, it's hard as fuck to find.

mcdermott on
    edited March 2011
    I prefer Orajel which I'm assuming is the same thing. It works great. But I don't get them that often.

Ludious on
    edited March 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Best checkpoint ever:

Modern Warfare 2.

Then I die.

The Call of Duty series in general has had some questionable checkpoint positions.

The positions in that case were fine, and MW2 in general was pretty decent there. The checkpoints were immediately prior to a challenging and time-limited task, and immediately after. It was my own damn fault for hitting the checkpoint all assed up.

mcdermott on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Questionable checkpoint positions, eh :winky:

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2011

Especially when the stuff you're doing is easy, but monotonous. Like, okay you have seven minutes of mind-numbing and unchallenging shit to do to get back to the five hard seconds you can't get past...GO!

Fuck that.

Yeah, or the opposite is true. No checkpoint after a difficult part.

Conviction spoiler:
    Granted it was the END of the game, but when you have to pass those two waves of guards and then get into the white house. Once I figured out the first group of guards, I should get a free pass re: fucking up on the second or going to the white house. It was so frustrating to get to the white house and then die and go ALL the way back to the first group of guards.

It resulted in me just running and gunning because I was bored rather than planning as I did on tries 1-xx

stevemarks44 on
    edited March 2011
    I prefer Orajel which I'm assuming is the same thing. It works great. But I don't get them that often.

The gel (Orajel, Anbesol, or the gel version of Orabase) works. It kills the pain, but usually it stings on application, tastes like ass, and doesn't last as long.

mcdermott on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh my god fucking slacktivists can get fucked

jesus christ

ugh

"earth hour"

fuck off

Pony on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello chat just came home from watching Black Swan and having a great evening with like my two closest friends. I am now officially 21 years old.

the movie was really awesome

and in like the true meaning of the word

i was tense and on the edge of my seat the whole movie afraid but excited for what would be coming next

can't find anything to complain about, unfortunately I had a certain section spoiled for me but I'm not sure it really affected how I came away from it
    that the sex scene was a dream sequence

3 am

WOOOO!!

Sparvy on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Check point system is incredibly annoying to me at times. But I always figure it could be worse.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited March 2011
    I would spoiler that before someone gets their panties in a twist

Huzzah!!!

Ludious on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would spoiler that before someone gets their panties in a twist

looks an awful lot like he used quote when he meant to use spoiler

i've done that before, felt like a dink

edit: yep.

Pony on