As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Own DA2? Want a free copy of Mass Effect 2 on PC? Check the OP!

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh for the love of

act 3 spoilers
    several times today I've learned of really good pieces of equipment only to discover they're in the Nathaniel quest I can't do because BUGS

jesus christ

is there like, a treasure trove hidden in it or what?
    It seems as though people are either getting the Act 2 Deep Roads quest or the Act 3 Deep Roads quest.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nathaniel's quest
    Won't show up if you loaded a save game from Awakenings where he dies. Or if you load a generic DAO save game. He also won't show up if you chose the Hero or the No Compromise default options.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Nathaniel's quest
    Won't show up if you loaded a save game from Awakenings where he dies. Or if you load a generic DAO save game. He also won't show up if you chose the Hero or the No Compromise default options.

Also on that quest
    It seems that the architect needs to have been kept alive in order for Nathaniel to have a reason to go down into the deep roads at all.

My import bugged out and thought I didn't kill him when in fact it was the opposite of what happened. I got to see Nathaniel again though so I guess it's ok, even if the thought of the architect skill kicking around makes my skin crawl.

Aistan on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Apparently the Martyr default lets it open up and I'm tempted to run it, but I'm not sure what I'd be losing in exchange.

Probably not much, I suppose.

Elendil on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was wondering why Nathaniel had became an action hero in the years since Awakening.

Sounded like he'd been eating gravel or something.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nathaniel's quest

I had none of those flags. Everything was peachy for him in Awakening, but he still didn't show up in Dragon Age 2.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    Nathaniel's quest

I had none of those flags. Everything was peachy for him in Awakening, but he still didn't show up in Dragon Age 2.
    Was he at the keep when you save Amaranthine? Because even if you did enough for them to break the siege, I still think the import declares everyone who was there died... Based this on a line I got with the Grey Warden at the end of Act I, who gave Anders the "I though you were dead" line, even though he survived the siege without me in the epilogue.

I'm also wondering what are all the choices made in the default histories... I though they skipped most of details, but aparently there is more to them than just who survived and who became king.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2H warriors at end game are DAO's mages.

I beat the game on my second playthrough last night. Primal/Force MageHawke, (Rival) Fenris, Carver, Varric. Everything dies for ever.

Going to try one last playthrough before I shelve the game for awhile. Haven't done a Templar, Rogue, or Speed Run yet. Going for all three this time around. Should get interesting in Act 3 when I haven't done any minor sidequests for xp.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just hit the end game of my first playthrough.
    Every character I dislike has abandoned me or been killed.

So that's kind of cool.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you're on PC you can activate Finding Nathaniel via console. You miss out on the conversation with Delilah though.

Nine on
  • Options
    spencermmspencermm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kedinik wrote: »

So that's kind of cool.

That's always nice.
    Anders was the only one I genuinely disliked, and I kill him dead. Fenris can be obnoxious, but not unbearably like Anders.

spencermm on
  • Options
    Grendel72Grendel72 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Grendel72 wrote: »

Not just Merrill, all the female elves in the Blooming Rose. Apparently wearing human underwear is too much of an offense to the memory of Arlathan...

spencermm on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm still having trouble getting interested in the plot. I really want to love(and not just like) this game, but it's just not hitting the right chords with me.

I'm also really starting to fucking hate the "waves of enemies" system.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spencermm wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

So that's kind of cool.

That's always nice.
    Anders was the only one I genuinely disliked, and I kill him dead. Fenris can be obnoxious, but not unbearably like Anders.
    Fenris is only not terrible when
    1 - Dealing with the Qunari
    2 - In banter with Varric, where he can be browbeaten about being such a fucking emo moping whine-ass.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fenris doesn't whine half as much as people say he does.

He gets bitchy when it comes to mages and his background, with good reason, and he's pretty jokey outside of that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Do you get to talk to your companions more in Acts 2 and 3?

Cause in Act 1 I got to talk to each of them once or twice at most. I kept going to see them and they'd have nothing to say. And lots of the talks have been super-short.

Fenris is a dick. I gave him a gift and he just bitched at me. Fuck that guy.

I wish I could romance Varric, he's so much cooler than everyone save Isabella and I'm afraid she'll give me magic herpes.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    He bitched because you're rivals. Giving a rival a gift = more rivalry.

Except Anders's gift, which is bugged and always gives Friendship.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quick question about the end of Act II:
    And the Arishok fight. I tried fighting him solo as a two handed warrior, and i got him to almost no health at all when he got me in a stupid combo juggle. Tried fighting him a few more times after that with no luck. Deciding that it takes to damn long to finish that fight, I took him in a 4 on 1 fight. Question is, does anything happen differently if I beat him alone?

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Do you get to talk to your companions more in Acts 2 and 3?

Cause in Act 1 I got to talk to each of them once or twice at most. I kept going to see them and they'd have nothing to say. And lots of the talks have been super-short.

Fenris is a dick. I gave him a gift and he just bitched at me. Fuck that guy.

I wish I could romance Varric, he's so much cooler than everyone save Isabella and I'm afraid she'll give me magic herpes.

Actually it's just regular herpes, she's not a mage. You still don't talk to them a ton, it's a lot less than in Origins, but the conversations are more substantive, and often have quests associated with them.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Fenris doesn't whine half as much as people say he does.

He gets bitchy when it comes to mages and his background, with good reason, and he's pretty jokey outside of that.

He's a lot like Sten in that way, he's just so deadpan and muted it passes by you a lot.

spencermm on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Quick question about the end of Act II:
    And the Arishok fight. I tried fighting him solo as a two handed warrior, and i got him to almost no health at all when he got me in a stupid combo juggle. Tried fighting him a few more times after that with no luck. Deciding that it takes to damn long to finish that fight, I took him in a 4 on 1 fight. Question is, does anything happen differently if I beat him alone?
    You get an achievement, Cassandra swoons a little, and your e-peen is bigger.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    He bitched because you're rivals. Giving a rival a gift = more rivalry.

Except Anders's gift, which is bugged and always gives Friendship.

No we're not. The meter is basically in the middle because I never use him, and the few times I've actually had a chance to influence him my actions have basically balanced each other out as far as the meter goes.

And Isabella fucks everything. She could easily have magic herpes. She's probably fucked a Darkspawn by accident and is spreading the taint.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey! Isabela has never accidentally fucked a Darkspawn. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    And Isabella fucks everything. She could easily have magic herpes. She's probably fucked a Darkspawn by accident and is spreading the taint.

By accident? I think you're giving her too much credit. My guess is that's how
    Bethany/Carver actually contract the taint.

spencermm on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Your spoiler is really..

I mean, Isabela...

:lol:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Your spoiler is really..

I mean, Isabela...

:lol:

Probably the Architect. She likes facial piercings.

spencermm on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    guys, isabela gets that all cured up.
    there's a cutscene where she visits anders in his clinic.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    evilthecat wrote: »
    guys, isabela gets that all cured up.
    there's a cutscene where she visits anders in his clinic.

Oh yeah, because I trust Anders.

spencermm on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And we have taken that one last step towards becoming the Mass Effect thread.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Nathaniel's quest

Was he at the keep when you save Amaranthine? Because even if you did enough for them to break the siege, I still think the import declares everyone who was there died... Based this on a line I got with the Grey Warden at the end of Act I, who gave Anders the "I though you were dead" line, even though he survived the siege without me in the epilogue.

I'm also wondering what are all the choices made in the default histories... I though they skipped most of details, but aparently there is more to them than just who survived and who became king.
    Because I am crazy I am going to test this
    Nathaniel in the party at the end of Awakening, and importing directly from Awakening, rather than the Witch Hunt carryover.

I'm rushing the first act, then I should be able to see if Fool's Gold is available once I hit Act 2, which should indicate whether it's worked.

I figured I'd rush the game on casual with an archer rogue and wow is it working. Pop on Ser Isaac's Armor and the Adder of Antiva and I kill most mooks in just about one shot. The armor should last me until I pick up Last Descent. Are there any bows to keep an eye out for this section of game, or will the Adder tide me over until after the Deep Roads?

Hopefully this shouldn't take too long.

Elendil on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm still having trouble getting interested in the plot. I really want to love(and not just like) this game, but it's just not hitting the right chords with me.

I'm also really starting to fucking hate the "waves of enemies" system.

This is pretty much how I feel about the game. It's so frustrating when 4 mercenaries suddenly appear behind Bethany in the middle of a fight and consecutively hit her so I can't even move her out of the way because she keeps staggering (or replace Bethany with other squishy characters).

I do want to like this game but I'm just finding it to be a chore sometimes. The bugs are well known at this stage so I won't be going over it in detail but there are just so many little things that bug me about this game that I'm not sure when I'll bother with a third playthrough.

In fact I'll probably replay DA:O and Awakenings before that happens.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rock Wraith is a diiiiiiiiick. I think I may push the difficult down for this one just because the wonky party movement is making this harder than it should be.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

Psshh, you wish.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »

Psshh, you wish.

All it needs is some creepy fanfiction or art..

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Nathaniel's quest

Because I am crazy I am going to test this
    Nathaniel in the party at the end of Awakening, and importing directly from Awakening, rather than the Witch Hunt carryover.

I'm rushing the first act, then I should be able to see if Fool's Gold is available once I hit Act 2, which should indicate whether it's worked.

I figured I'd rush the game on casual with an archer rogue and wow is it working. Pop on Ser Isaac's Armor and the Adder of Antiva and I kill most mooks in just about one shot. The armor should last me until I pick up Last Descent. Are there any bows to keep an eye out for this section of game, or will the Adder tide me over until after the Deep Roads?

Hopefully this shouldn't take too long.

If you're on a PC, I think you can just use the console to jump to the appropriate act and see if the quest is available.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I love Isabella and Aveline's banter, as an aside.

"Shut up, whore."

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welp, finally beat this thing. I ended up repspeccing all my characters in act III becasue some of the more difficult fights were getting annoying. I'm not really sure why the archery tree exists, if you want to be an archer you are better off taking other rogue talents and just using a bow, but whatever. After changing to less retarded talent and picking up some of the end game gear the last stretch of the game became almost too easy on hard. Not that I'm complaining. I do think one of the very last fights was bugged a bit,
    as [act III spoilers]
    Orsino didn't do much after turning into a giant blob of nastiness. I was expecting a difficult fight, but he just stood there occasionally swinging at aveline. I'm not even sure he was doing any damage. Then he broke apart and came back together and did pretty much nothing again.

Part of me wants to jump right back in, maybe as an angry female two handed mage hating warrior, but I played through all of DA:O and awakening before starting this so I've been dragon aging for about a month straight after work and on the weekends, just a little burnt out right now.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Question about the end of Act 1:
    If I don't bring Carver with me to the roads, does he stay alive?

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Question about the end of Act 1:
    If I don't bring Carver with me to the roads, does he stay alive?
    If you leave Carver/Bethany at home, he/she becomes a templar/sent to the Circle

If you take Carver/Bethany with you, he/she dies.

If you take Carver/Bethany and also Anders, he/she becomes a Grey Warden.

No matter which happens, your sibling won't be available in Act 2.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I've been testing my sanity in the Bioware Forums and... regarding Anders:
    Suposably, You can make him join you with Templars if you rival him.

Here's a video that proves it exists

However, Even though a dev has confirmed it's in the game, and not cut Seems like the only way people have seen it is using the debug menu... so, bug? Or does it simply take a very specfic set of choices?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.