As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stan Lee presents: [chat]

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Back from Video Games Live.

TLDR;

ended on Scars of Time/Chrono Trigger medley. SoT was amazing.

Very little FF music. Lots of variety. The choir's best work was easily the Warcraft/Halo stuff, surprisingly.

Also, they did a 'worst voice acting' compilation, included Shikigami 2, and I read along line for line. :P
    (It was #6.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay fine, so here's the controversy behind Sucker Punch since y'all won't stop asking.
    So the idea is, she's brought to an insane asylum and formulates a plan to escape in her fantasy. The fantasy is she works in a brothel as an orphan and has to escape from there. So she recruits other girls and they come up with a plan. Babydoll, our lead, will dance for the men to distract them while the other girls steal the items needed. She does this 4 times. When she dances, the men become mezmerized and that's when the action sequences kick in because those are fantasies as well. It's like, a fantasy within a fantasy.

WELLLLL come to find out, in the real world in the insane asylum, Babydoll has been stealing items and goes through with her escape plan. The idea that's bothering people is that the dances she was doing in her brothel fantasy was actually her having sex with the various people she needed to get the items from. Some people say it's rape. Others don't.

JustinSane07 on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    it seemed to me like the time jumps were unnecessarily long

it seemed much more like each act took place a few weeks or months after the preceding one instead of years
    it was a bit odd

oh hullo hawke congrats on your thing three years ago

Elendil on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chrono Trigger music is classic, if we ever send another golden record out into space, I would vote we include some.

Especially

Caveman Paws on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I like some video game music but I think I would be weirded out going to a concert full of it.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, it was a live orchestra. Anything's good with that, even game music.

Also, I met Tommy Tallarico. Really cool guy. The conductor was the composer of Ace Combat X2, among other things. The composer from Heroes of Might & Magic was the guest composer.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay fine, so here's the controversy behind Sucker Punch since y'all won't stop asking.
    So the idea is, she's brought to an insane asylum and formulates a plan to escape in her fantasy. The fantasy is she works in a brothel as an orphan and has to escape from there. So she recruits other girls and they come up with a plan. Babydoll, our lead, will dance for the men to distract them while the other girls steal the items needed. She does this 4 times. When she dances, the men become mezmerized and that's when the action sequences kick in because those are fantasies as well. It's like, a fantasy within a fantasy.

WELLLLL come to find out, in the real world in the insane asylum, Babydoll has been stealing items and goes through with her escape plan. The idea that's bothering people is that the dances she was doing in her brothel fantasy was actually her having sex with the various people she needed to get the items from. Some people say it's rape. Others don't.

I... wait, who is the victim and who is the perpetrator in that scenario?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

I... wait, who is the victim and who is the perpetrator in that scenario?

Well that's the question, basically.
    Personally, I think that she's using her sexuality to move forward with her plan, which isn't rape. It's just kinda...desperate, I guess. Others think she's not wanting to have sex with these men so it's rape, not sex. And that she may even have had the sex forced upon her, since we find out at the end that the bad guy orderly in the insane asylum (who is the pimp in her brothel fantasy) was raping girls. It's really kind of ambiguous since everything that happens in the movie happens in her fantasy so there is really 0 idea of how things went down in the real world.

JustinSane07 on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you know, when you're offered a card to purchase an item 0% apr for 12 months, you would expect, you know, for the card to cover the purchase

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    you know, when you're offered a card to purchase an item 0% apr for 12 months, you would expect, you know, for the card to cover the purchase

this happened to my mother in law. She bought a TV at best buy on 0% interest for 12 months blah blah blah.

A month later she gets a bill with a penalty on it for going over her credit limit on the card.

WTF HBC?

Ludious on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow Steve Buscemi looks identical to his his parents who sound so stereotypical Brooklyn Italian its scary.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

this happened to my mother in law. She bought a TV at best buy on 0% interest for 12 months blah blah blah.

A month later she gets a bill with a penalty on it for going over her credit limit on the card.

WTF HBC?

I laughed at the lady on the phone. I asked her why the limit didn't cover the purchase

"well, its as high as it goes"

what? you're telling me you're offering cards that can't even cover the purchase?

"yes"

allright then, bye bye

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011
    I pick up my 3DS in the morning.

Ludious on
    edited March 2011
    is that cleverbot thing just a chat program?

aaaaaaahahaha

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ludious in English please.

stevemarks44 on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, it was a live orchestra. Anything's good with that, even game music.

Also, I met Tommy Tallarico. Really cool guy. The conductor was the composer of Ace Combat X2, among other things. The composer from Heroes of Might & Magic was the guest composer.

That sounded like it would have been fun to go to, if I didn't have work.

Cinders on
    edited March 2011
    Hmm. This is a video of a girl fighting off an attacker. It's not really NSFW but I don't want anyone getting upset. It's pretty awesome though. She fucks him up.

Ludious on
    edited March 2011
    So people who I used to be friends with five+ years ago periodically call me up. They are not bad people, but long story short, I never had anything in common with them.

Rather then tell them I don't want to hang out anymore (confrontation bad) I just slowly stopped calling them, hanging out, returning calls, etc. They watch sports, drink alot, smoke pot and none of those things are bad, but that really does describe them pretty well. I do none of those things (anymore).

Tonight I got a call, and as per usual, hung up upon recognising the voice. I get a few voicemails from different cellphones leaving messages that confirm that they haven't changed in the last 5 years (which means they are the same as they were in highschool).

So to recap: I outgrew a bunch of loveable drunks and idiots and rather than be a mature responsible adult about it (or just lie, say I'm moving far away and change my ph#) I just vanished on them (gradually).

I feel crappy about it, but when I write it out I feel better because it's such a stupid situation that I'm sure isn't bothering them even a fraction as much as it does me.
    shit totp

Caveman Paws on
    edited March 2011
    Caveman, you made a typo.

In your address bar you meant to type www.blogger.com but you typed www.penny-arcade.com/forums

easy mistake.

I'm kidding. Eh. You could have handled it better, but so what? No big deal. Move on.

Ludious on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You should actually say something

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pony still around?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    Caveman, you made a typo.

In your address bar you meant to type www.blogger.com but you typed www.penny-arcade.com/forums

easy mistake.

I'm kidding. Eh. You could have handled it better, but so what? No big deal. Move on.

By making a blog I would be admiting to the cosmos that I think what passes for my life is in some way interesting/important enough to warrant it's own vehicle. Posting small, depressing tidbits here feels... less wrong, kinda.

Okay fine, I'm just too lazy to create an account. Also, I'm not a fan of gmail. I deleted my youtube account because it now requires gmail to log in. Pffft.

Caveman Paws on
    edited March 2011
    Picking up and hanging up on them is weird.

Either cut them out completely or say something I think.

stevemarks44 on
    edited March 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Pony still around?

He's always around.

Waiting.

Watching.

You'll be wrong eventually and he will make you remember it forever.

Ludious on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's all Pony's fault.

Cinders on
    edited March 2011
    As king of all bros Pony is obviously doing a kegstand somewhere right now because it is Saturday and he has chicks to have sex with.

stevemarks44 on
    edited March 2011
    Picking up and hanging up on them is weird.

Either cut them out completely or say something I think.

I wouldn't pick up if I knew it was them. But months/years go by between calls sometimes and out of habit I just answer the phone, forgetting to screen it (not that it would help because the phone numbers change/aren't in my phone).

edit: Also what would I say? And why say it now after such a long period of time? And what kind of weirdo continues to call someone they hung out with 5+ years ago? Action is required: Changing my phone #.

You never fail me [chat].

Caveman Paws on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As king of all bros Pony is obviously doing a kegstand somewhere right now because it is Saturday and he has chicks to have sex with.

Survey says? Number one answer!

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I wanna chill with the king of the dudes.

Cinders on
    edited March 2011
    I want this : Creating power from water

Even though I doubt it will turn out to be as amazing as they suggest in the write up, I would just like to see one of these far out ideas bare fruit.

Caveman Paws on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HA! Fixed the sound issue by throwing money at it.

Quid on
    edited March 2011
    Cinders wrote: »

king of all bros and king of the dudes are two different things.

They are warring factions at best.

stevemarks44 on
    edited March 2011
    Cinders wrote: »

king of all bros and king of the dudes are two different things.

They are warring factions at best.

The king of the dudes died about a hundred years ago.

So I can't chill with him.

Cinders on
    edited March 2011
    Fuck it.

I'm gonna go make a sinner's sandwich.

Cinders on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    What the Hell. My sound's dead. Yet the computer recognizes audio. It shows it's putting it out. All the wires are connected, and there should be anything loose since I can still hear a pop/crackle when putting in and taking out the jack. More so my headphones used in a separate jack also receive nothing. I don't get this.

this has happened to me when I've had the computer muted, started playing a youtube video or something and then unmuted it during the video. it's like it confoozled the sound gnomes or something.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited March 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    HA! Fixed the sound issue by throwing money at it.

Elaborate.

Caveman Paws on
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41YUSZ9VAg

Alright, this thing tastes weird.

Cinders on
    edited March 2011
    oh my god cinders I've wanted to make one of those for such a long time.

Post Deadly Premonition things always.

stevemarks44 on
This discussion has been closed.