As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]The old thread is dead. Long live the new thread.

• NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Everquest tried that for a little, I thought it was really neat and was sad it was abandoned due to abuse(I think). Just added a little button to character select that would pop you into a random level 1-15ish mob. I wish EQ would make a whole server and expand on that, oh well!

Back on topic, has this been linked yet?
    Character planner
    Incomplete obviously, but shows some of what's been released.

Nathrak on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    That's one of the things I really like. Open world PvP is a pointless gank-and-grief-fest, so I'm glad they got rid of it all together in favor of everyone being on the same faction and not splitting the PvE player base in two.

And World PvP will still occur between three servers in another inter-server dimension called The Mists, which is being designed alot like DAOC's style of three way epic siege and skirmish PvP. We can fight each other all day long, level up while doing so, and earn bonuses and rewards for our server when we capture strategic interests like keeps.
    The Mists is the oldest thing in existence and is the space between worlds and realms, where creatures from across the worlds converge. The Mists are accessed via the various portals opened by Lord Odran. It is connected to all worlds and binds the multiverse together, including the past, present, and future, and is the source of all things. In the center of the Mists lies the Rift which holds the Hall of Heroes at its center.

The Mists are the proto-reality that exists between the worlds which in turn are the building blocks of reality. It is where the various afterlives and the homes of various gods and other powerful entities reside. The Mists resonate from the worlds around them, forming bits of their own reality - islands of existence that reflect the histories of their worlds. The Mists serve as a battleground in World PvP.
    World versus World (Also known as WvW, World PvP, and Casual PvP) is a mode of Player versus Player combat which takes place in the Mists. Worlds, or servers, are randomly matched up against two other worlds. Those match-ups will be rotated every week to match worlds against those of similar strength. The combat is open and features many objectives and roles which players can do; "players may decide to fight alone against a supply caravan, join a single group and capture a mine or create a large alliance to assault one of the numerous fortress that could give an advantage in the zone." The battle is on a large scale, where hundreds of people can fight on each side in week-long battles.

Each opposing world starts out with castles, mercenary camps, mines, lumber mills and villages. Separating the starting zones are neutral zones controlled by no one, also containing fortresses, mines, and villages.
    The resources gained from mines and lumber mills are used to rebuild walls, create siege engines, and generally defend the team's fortress.

These territories and control points will confer benefits to the world that controls them; "maybe everyone gets increased energy regeneration or healing rate or enhanced loot drop rate." Players can gain experience and level their character entirely in World PvP. Killing people in World vs World gives the player loot. Guilds will be able to take and hold keeps.

Players are free to come and go from the battle as they please and there is no limit to the number of players entering. Players enter with a character of any level and use skills they have available to that character. Characters can enter as a sidekick which will allow them to play as a higher level character.
    World PvP is intended as a casual form of PvP, designed to be a more relaxed bridging point between PvE and the tactics and pressure of structured PvP. It is hoped that players of any level or PvP experience can participate and be useful.

This all serves as a parallel to the other optional structured forms of PvP. Instead of two WoW style political factions duking it out on a single server or in instanced battlegrounds, all the races of Tyria are pretty much allied early on in the story to fight Zhaitan, and thus enter the Mists together to earn glory for their server against other servers and their populations. This makes PvP more fun and easy to get involved in, and promotes server pride that makes PvP more meaningful then a BG gank and grindfest. We will know more specifics when PvP updates are released, but pretty much all of the above is the plan the devs are implementing, based on what they've learned from Guild Wars and seeing what works in other games.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nathrak wrote: »
    Character planner

Double post for holy shit that looks cool.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention, it's going in the OP.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Character planner

Technically it has been, but I was going to link it again since it has been updated significantly. It is nice to see the weapon skills at least, even if there are utility skills and elite skills missing.

For those interested in daydreaming about further character options, there are the partial trait lists on the wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Traits

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited March 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Character planner

Technically it has been, but I was going to link it again since it has been updated significantly. It is nice to see the weapon skills at least, even if there are utility skills and elite skills missing.

It looks like some of the skills are so new they don't have icon art yet.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't know that axes are a ranged weapon for rangers. That's pretty neat.

reVerse on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god. Reading that info about The Mists and then looking at the character planner a bit makes me yearn for this game. I want a time machine.

ghost_master2000 on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am wondering if the World PvP will just be like Planetside where you take a base and then go onto the next base only to find the first base has been taken back. It'll be pretty annoying if progress is wiped away too easily.

Sarksus on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So a Necro skill set like this I can have 6-8 things running about. I'm assuming the fire dogs have a limited duration and cooldown.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited March 2011
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I am wondering if the World PvP will just be like Planetside where you take a base and then go onto the next base only to find the first base has been taken back. It'll be pretty annoying if progress is wiped away too easily.

I'd imagine it will be like Aion in that respect in that whenever you captured a Fortress from the opposing player faction or the NPC Balaur, you activate a timer which lets you maintain control of the fortress for your guild and faction, while other fortresses become available and the Abyss cycles through them.

In the Mists there will be forts, resource nodes and other points of interest to fight over that will most likely remain under the control of whichever server captures them first, and they will remain theirs for a certain amount of time while other places go up for grabs. Like it says in the quote, the Mists cycle through servers themselves each week, naming winners, doling out rewards and resetting conquests so as to allow everyone a fair field with starting forts already in the control of each server.

There will also probably be neutral territory where Mist entrances are, to prevent ganking, and possibly forms of fast transportation.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So a Necro skill set like this I can have 6-8 things running about. I'm assuming the fire dogs have a limited duration and cooldown.

And those little guys look like their main damage comes from being exploded so they're basically a ticking bomb AOE effect, at least guessing from the videos I've seen in play. And doing that definitely gives up a lot of other damaging and utility options. It does seem very cool, though. It seems games always have a hard time balancing summoning classes and the current trend is just to have one pet out which is boring.

Timmer on
  • Game BoyGame Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dunno if I trust IGN, but the release date they have posted is November 2 2011. Scratch that I've cross referenced it, and it's supposed to be Nov 2.

Game Boy on
    edited March 2011
    Wait what! This game is supposed to come out this year? WTFBBQ!?!?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Game Boy wrote: »
    Dunno if I trust IGN, but the release date they have posted is November 2 2011. Scratch that I've cross referenced it, and it's supposed to be Nov 2.

Where have you cross referenced it? [citation needed], motherfucker. You can't tease us like this!

Vi Monks on
    edited March 2011
    I'm not aware of Arenanet giving any release date so both of those must be guesses.

Sarksus on
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Awaiting for the last 2 classes.

Maou on
    edited March 2011
    My guess is it's a guess. I can guarantee that me and Enig would have alerted you all to this if it was a legit date. Not to say it isn't a good guess and that it might even be a real date yet, but don't get to excited yet.

It might just be a beta date guess as well.

EDIT: I checked, it says Nov 2nd this year. Going to cross reference.

EDIT 2: 9 Sites plus IGN say Nov 2nd according to Google, GW2 site and MMORPG say in dev still, so it's definitely still in a guess form. But hey, it's as good as any right now considering many of our own estimates for beta and release. I still wholeheartedly believe we will see at least a open beta before winter and/or Christmas if not the game itself. It's been coming since 2007 and it's clearly in alpha testing.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited March 2011
    NO MORE CROSS REFERENCES

Sarksus on
    edited March 2011
    Anything a game site publishes is just a guess. ANet will give an official release date when there actually is one.

That has been explicitly stated by ANet representatives.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited March 2011
    Anything a game site publishes is just a guess. ANet will give an official release date when there actually is one.

That has been explicitly stated by ANet representatives.

Exactly.

And now I go and do something else so as to not bemoan the lack of said official release.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's going to be like Duke Nukem Forever, of course.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Buraisu wrote: »
    It's going to be like Duke Nukem Forever, of course.

I will hunt you down. :x

Vi Monks on
    edited March 2011
    Stop being pessimistic bastards and start sacrificing goats to Grenth. Do it!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One of the things I noticed in one of the videos is that having two names no longer seems to be a requirement. That's good to hear.

Flay on
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    One of the things I noticed in one of the videos is that having two names no longer seems to be a requirement. That's good to hear.

But but but...
    I like the two names...
    o_O

Maou on
    edited March 2011
    You can still have two names if you want, but it's not a requirement.

reVerse on
    edited March 2011

This.

Flay on
    edited March 2011
    Flay wrote: »

This.

Corehealer shall be reborn, and this time without a silly name tacked on with it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope Rifle-warrior is viable in the actual game, because in the skill planner it looks awesome.

Edit: Also, I'm guessing this isn't news to people who have been following along more closely, but the fact that the healing signet abilities have passing AND active abilities is pretty awesome.

Delzhand on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Character planner

It looks like some of the skills are so new they don't have icon art yet.

Amg, check out my amazing Gaurdian buff build:

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=32f81502b630ad2f276c5;3214e952e337a52a7678414eb

He draws conditions from allies with Martyr and kills them with Smite Conditions and provides Swiftness, Protection, Stability, and Regeneration to nearby allies. Fuck yeah! I imagine this one standing in a group of friendly squishies, moving around, keeping them buffed and healed, and firing orbs at enemies from afar.

Oh, and here's another one. I call it my "Set The Entire Enemy Team On Fire" build:

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=32f81562a6f3802b630ad31;3219cb5301bc272a78dcc14eb

I don't really know what Burning means exactly, but it must be good. Half of his abilities cause his enemies to burn. Aww yeah.

Melkster on
    edited March 2011
    In the original, burning was a -health regen debuff or a dot, forget which.

reVerse on
    edited March 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I hope Rifle-warrior is viable in the actual game, because in the skill planner it looks awesome.

Edit: Also, I'm guessing this isn't news to people who have been following along more closely, but the fact that the healing signet abilities have passing AND active abilities is pretty awesome.

Yes, the healing signet is pretty sweet.

And rifle/longbow-warrior will probably balance out the shortbow and pistol use of the thief just like the long and shortbow specialization use of the ranger will be the balance to the rifle and pistol using gun class we keep thinking will be the new reveal class. I imagine pretty much every skillset and weapon profile will be useful depending on the situation and the needs of the dynamic event or PvP tactics.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited March 2011
    Another thing I noticed when looking up weapons on the GW2 wiki was this, something we sort of saw in a few official releases anyways:
    Ghastly Weapons are a set of Masterwork weapons. They possess a blue glow at night. Some weapons have the ability to heal the wielder for each attack during the day or steal health during the night.

Concept art of it, spoilered for huge:
    Weapons_01_concept_art_%28ghastly_weapons%29.jpg

Weapons that change in different environments are such a sweet idea.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oo, that's cool.

It would be even more cool if it glowed when orcs were around, like Sting. :D

Melkster on
    edited March 2011
    God... Every time I come in this thread I need a change of pants.

That skull appearing on the shield when it glowes was too much for me to handle.

Also, the whole concept about gaining different abilities based on what weapon types you have equipped is just epic.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited March 2011

We aim to please.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited March 2011
    Melkster wrote: »
    Oo, that's cool.

There are weapons that do that in GW2 :)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited March 2011
    Melkster wrote: »
    Oo, that's cool.

There are weapons that do that in GW2 :)

Flay on
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »

This makes me wonder about Elementalists' conjure spells whether the Lava axes will allow them or other caster professions perform like a melee or if conjuring bows of frost allow those without a range weapon set perform at a distance. I haven't played Guild Wars so I'm not sure of their purpose then and was hoping they would have an actual use in the sequel.

Dropping a flame wall, conjuring some bows of frost to have a range attack that burns and chills. Fun for the whole party!

Tyberius on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah the environmental weapons (which includes conjured weapons) come with their own set of skills. So no matter what class you are if you pick up a frost bow you will be able to shoot icy arrows, etc.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png