As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten / Persona Discussion] Devil Survivor 2 hits the DS, surprising... everyone.

• MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Trynant wrote: »
    So guys...am I cheating myself when playing Strange Journey when I look up a game guide to get past some of the more annoying dungeons (e.g. darkness and pits and stuff)?

Because that stuff is extremely annoying.

Nah, that's pretty much recommended. Those dungeons are nasty.

I'll second this. Most of the game was alright, but that fucking teleport dungeon.... I just gave up and used a guide eventually cause of how many times I had to run through it.

Mattakuevan on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got through it on my own, but maybe SMT1 hardened me. That game's dungeons were ridiculous.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I actually made my own maps most of the time.
    I like making maps.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The teleportation maze broke me, after spending 2 hours trying to memorise the damn thing I just got a map instead.

I did do the final areas without help though, they weren't nearly as frustrating.

Frozenzen on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You would love Phantasy Star 1. There's no in-game map, period.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I actually made my own maps most of the time.
    I like making maps.

I also like making maps. I have a few paper maps around from where I mapped dark areas and teleport mazes in SJ

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited March 2011
    If SJ had let you edit the maps EO style, the teleport areas wouldn't have been so bad.

The ones in EO were even worse.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did SJ ever have a floor as bad as the one in EO1 where 90% of it was pits, and there was only one path to the end and if you fell it was about 5 minutes to get back to where you were? However it didn't matter anyway because the memory limit for the game was apparently low enough that you couldn't mark all the pits because after about 15 it just stopped letting you put down the marker, so you had to unmark everything that wasn't the path and it was really the only floor that was impossible to map 100%?

Because that was a pretty shitty floor and I don't think anyone could get through it within an hour without a map. I never saw what EO2 could do, because I swear to god my accuracy was broken in that game as 90% of my attacks would miss no matter how much grinding I did.

Gilder on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dont remember if there was a floor that bad. There was one floor in SJ that was basically a bunch of conveyor belts in the dark where you couldn't map them. Also enemies in the dark areas with the bomb spell (It's either bomb or petrify, I forget.) For some reason I hated that floor more than the teleporting ones.

Adellios on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SJ was practice for EO III's final stratum, which was just plain old channeling the old bard's tale games and a dash of Phantasy Star II thrown in for good measure.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EO2 stratums 1-5 were fine, but 6 was bad enough I gave up halfway through.

Xagarath on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Adellios wrote: »
    I dont remember if there was a floor that bad. There was one floor in SJ that was basically a bunch of conveyor belts in the dark where you couldn't map them. Also enemies in the dark areas with the bomb spell (It's either bomb or petrify, I forget.) For some reason I hated that floor more than the teleporting ones.

Right, I have a map for that floor right here in front of me.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was that level in sector Delphinus? The mountain sector. I find that floor along with all of the other randomness (like teleporters) to be just a matter of memorization. I must have done that floor so often for different reasons that I almost remember by heart the sequence.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
    edited March 2011
    I never even got to EO2's sixth.

Not doing very well in EO3 either. :P

EO1's, I finished all the way through. (Didn't kill the boss, but I finished the labyrinth!)

The only floor that broke me was the 90% pitfall one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    EO III's final stratum has spinners combined with unmappable areas and throws in another hole floor for good measure, and the final fight is a gigantic puzzle of awesome.

It totally makes up for the complete lack of early difficulty.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, this is making me want to play SJ again. And reminding me why I stopped playing EO1 and 2, lol.

Mattakuevan on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Remind me -- Devil Survivor was the SRPG?

KiTA on
    edited March 2011
    Yes the "SRPG". I wouldn't say it was actually an SRPG but it was definitely the closest in the series.

Mattakuevan on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys are all pansies. I 100%'d everything in the EO series, and Strange Journey was merely tedious, not difficult.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, tedious is an awesome selling point for a game.

That being said I knew I didn't like those types of games after putting a few hours in both either way.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    At least the music was good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpACR3ogCBc

Without that, I NEVER would have lasted those 16 floors of hell.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah, tedious is an awesome selling point for a game.

That being said I knew I didn't like those types of games after putting a few hours in both either way.

You won't find any argument from me that SJ isn't a particularly good game. But it's not a difficult game, especially not by SMT standards.

Pureauthor on
    edited March 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    You guys are all pansies. I 100%'d everything in the EO series, and Strange Journey was merely tedious, not difficult.

Of course they are pansies, some of them even think P3 and P4 are hard! :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited March 2011
    At least with SJ you can assemble better demons when a boss rocks you. In EO, better go respec your entire team.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Respecing your entire team only costs you a couple of levels and can be less tedious then getting the perfect demon or in some games, enough money to summon a good one.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited March 2011
    Maybe, but fusing's more fun. :P

EOIII's bosses are especially brutal about requiring precise strategies and/or teams.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Besides the final super secret boss I disagree completely, and this is coming from someone who 100% the game twice with two radically different parties.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited March 2011
    The other alternative is to run 24 man Guilds like I do and to never take the same team in consecutively. What's a few levels compared to being able to create any strategical team you want on the fly?

Pureauthor on
  • cozy duckcozy duck Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I found strange journey easier then Persona 3.

Also, I love SMT1 and EO 1-3, but I though SJ was kinda meh (it wasn't due to the dungeon design though, that I actually liked). I find it kinda weird myself too.

Also, Mohiro Kitoh is an interesting choice for Devil Survivor, I really wonder how they ended up with him of all people. To be honest, I'd rather have had him write then draw, but I'll take it.

cozy duck on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SJ wasn't hard until the final boss. That one took a few retries, grinding, and fusing.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited March 2011
    Why are we talking about difficulty of SJ now? I thought the argument was about the maps. And yeah it is easier than p3/4 which is saying something cause those are easy as piss.

Edit: Oh, XoB made a funny. I see.

Mattakuevan on
    edited March 2011
    SJ's final boss, like most SMT ones, was unpredictable. It could be really easy or murder you in a few seconds due to the randomness of the skills used.

(I hear this is also true of the Chaos final boss; I fought Law's.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Ya, I one shot the final boss in SJ then watched one of my friends get wrecked by shit it didnt even use on me.

Mattakuevan on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That last boss one-shotted my entire party once. Also one shotted my main character twice. From full health.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was lucky enough to fight
    Zelenin
    on my first playthrough, who is presumably the easiest one. I don't want to imagine fighting the final boss on any of the other alignments on a fresh playthrough.

Chrono Helix on
  • MarsDragonMarsDragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I went Neutral on my first (and so far only) playthrough. I also managed to accidentally grind enough to get Shiva. Last boss was not a problem.

MarsDragon on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Final boss only needed Debilitate and Luster Candy. Trying to fight it with one or neither of those two, though? Difficult.

Xagarath on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    At first, the topic title confused me, then I wiki'd it and oh, Devil Survivor 2 was announced for later this year... I can barely contain my excitement :D

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zandracon on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Time for a new thread, eh? Maybe someone can answer these two simple questions beforehand.

1. In Nocturne, the "Dark Pledge" abilities that give bonuses based on the moon don't seem too useful. Is that a fair assessment? Or should I be making those a part of my strategy?

2. Also Nocturne. Heat wave does light damage to all enemies, with damage relative to health. Berserk does light damage to random enemies. Which is superior? How does health determine the damage?

Rex Dart on