As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2011 PAX PRIME

• Options
    Fengie The NinjaFengie The Ninja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Folks at PAX will definitely work with you. So, go ahead. Post a place/time you are willing to have pictures taken. :D

I was afraid to stop a lot of folks for pictures last year because I figured many were on their way to do various things. Luckily, my two year old was with me and many people asked to be photographed with her.

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i hope wil will be attending!

that and when they release the passes for prime. is it usually in april they release the passes for prime?

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    BLaZuRE wrote: »
    Why oh why does the American Fisheries Society have to have its convention during Labor Day weekend in Seattle :( ? They only have 3000 compared to our 60000. I'm depressed I'm going to miss PAX this year :cry: any other weekend would have been fine.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not...

Anyhow, PAX Prime is not on Labor Day weekend this year.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Why oh why does the American Fisheries Society have to have its convention during Labor Day weekend in Seattle :( ? They only have 3000 compared to our 60000. I'm depressed I'm going to miss PAX this year :cry: any other weekend would have been fine.

I can't tell if your trolling or not...

I think he means that the fisheries convention took our normal labour day spot... which is unfortunate, but they booked it first AND many years go.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »

I can't tell if you're trolling or not...

I think he means that the fisheries convention took our normal labour day spot... which is unfortunate, but they booked it first AND many years go.

Ah, well then, retracted ;)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did anyone have a hotel where they did NOT have to pay for parking last year? We stayed at the Crowne Plaza and they only had valet parking and it was $25~ per day. We ended up leaving our car in the convention center parking garage because it was the same price and much more handy there.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Did anyone have a hotel where they did NOT have to pay for parking last year? We stayed at the Crowne Plaza and they only had valet parking and it was $25~ per day. We ended up leaving our car in the convention center parking garage because it was the same price and much more handy there.

I don't think ANY hotels have free/included parking. I think you're going to be SOL on this one.

SmallLady on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I don't think ANY hotels have free/included parking. I think you're going to be SOL on this one.

Hmm in 2009 I thought we payed once for parking at our hotel (Executive Hotel Pacific) and it was for the whole weekend (could be mistaken). I guess we payed for it in the parking garage but like I said, much more convenient.

ptriz21_teamkill on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Hmm in 2009 I thought we payed once for parking at our hotel (Executive Hotel Pacific) and it was for the whole weekend (could be mistaken). I guess we payed for it in the parking garage but like I said, much more convenient.

You could call them and double check, but in my experience, hotels do charge a daily rate for parking.

SmallLady on
  • Options
    AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just found out a 311 and Sublime concert will be happening at Marymoor on Friday, August 28th. Why do the gods toy with me like this?

Looks like I'll be getting some BYOC and Sublime in all in the same day.... I will be living solely on caffeine by the time BYOC closes for the night.

AtomicGaryBusey on
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They always seems to schedule awesome concerts the same time as PAX Prime. Last year I skipped a local music fest with Weezer, Bad Religion, and Rise Against headlining to fly to Seattle. Then when I arrived I found out...I think....Pantera was playing.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    HeatherlingHeatherling Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Even the Camlin (timeshare) charges for parking... it was $20/day though which isn't as bad as $25 average. I think valet is $25, though.

And I realize people are friendly at conventions. I'm just small and would almost like to be able to maneuver my way through the crowd quickly and all ninja-like. :D
    I will more than likely show up in costume, though. Just a small part of me would like to just blend in with the crowd is all. :)

Heatherling on
  • Options
    Game Show ManGame Show Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Even the Camlin (timeshare) charges for parking... it was $20/day though which isn't as bad as $25 average. I think valet is $25, though.

Hey, that's where I'm staying. :D Did I mention how excited I was to be coming up there?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    captvangin@aol.com
    gameshowman@gmail.com

Game Show Man on
    "Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    captvangin@aol.com
    www.facebook.com/GameShowMan

"Go get my space-battlecruiser. I wanna go blow some shizznit up."
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I can't tell if your trolling or not...

The funny thing here is that the date they booked it was only weeks after the first PAX at the WSCTC in 2007.

Course I brought this up a year ago.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just found out a 311 and Sublime concert will be happening at Marymoor on Friday, August 28th. Why do the gods toy with me like this?

Looks like I'll be getting some BYOC and Sublime in all in the same day.... I will be living solely on caffeine by the time BYOC closes for the night.

I might be in the minority here, but after going to the concerts last year, there is now way I would pass up the bands at PAX, if only for the reason that PAX is the only place I can ever see them. I live in a smaller town and can drive to see large bands, but short of SXSW, none of the bands get anywhere near me. (And hell, SXSW is still an eleven hour drive.)

afeil117 on
    Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    afeil117 wrote: »

I might be in the minority here, but after going to the concerts last year, there is now way I would pass up the bands at PAX, if only for the reason that PAX is the only place I can ever see them. I live in a smaller town and can drive to see large bands, but short of SXSW, none of the bands get anywhere near me. (And hell, SXSW is still an eleven hour drive.)

JoCo and Paul and Storm travel pretty well I thought. I've seen them outside of PAX and the atmosphere is pretty much the same, its great. I don't know where your town is in TX so I can't say for certain they would get close enough to you. But they would definitely be your best bet for seeing a PAX band.

I went to the PAX concerts in 2009, then actually didn't go last year. It was cool to hang out in the halls of the expo center when it was more empty. Met some randoms, hung out on some bean bags. But partially didn't go also because we didn't like the venue.

ptriz21_teamkill on
  • Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    .... Wait.. Why would you have to pass up pax to go see 311? Is it a money issue or a time issue? Is it not possible to do both? I've wanted to see 311 since like.... FOREVER.

Sarahstrasza on
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Every single time i'm in seattle near the convention center, I do a little "i'm antsy can't wait let me in now" dance, and whine. Pretty sure it drives the boyfriend nuts. Looks like i'm gonna be sleepin in a box out front for all of august!

I do this too, doesn't help that the husband works downtown so we drive by A LOT! Teenager is threatening to hang out in front of the building until August.

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I used to say "Man I can't wait until September for PAX." BUT NOW I can say I can't wait until AUGUST! even if it is only a week difference it sounds a lot sooner when you say August.

ptriz21_teamkill on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    what should a first-timer expect to get out of PAX? nerd nirvana?

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »

Basically, yes. There is so much to see and do at PAX that what you get out of it is what you want to get out of it. You can spend the entire weekend focusing on one thing or sampling any variety and mix of everything.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

A first timer can expect to be a tad overwhelmed, in the best way possible :)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

A first timer can expect to be a tad overwhelmed, in the best way possible :)

Can't wait! just waiting on the penny arcade folks to release the show passes (last time was in april so hoping that will be the case again). can't wait to check out Seattle (will be first time to the US).

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Can't wait! just waiting on the penny arcade folks to release the show passes (last time was in april so hoping that will be the case again). can't wait to check out Seattle (will be first time to the US).

If you want to explore other parts of Seattle during the convention such as visiting the Space Needle, The Experience Music Project/Sci Fi Museum, Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle Aquarium, or want to do a Harbor Tour w/ Argosy Cruises, there is a Seattle City Pass that allows you to do all of the above things for one price. I bought as City Pass during my first PAX and had a great time doing both tourist activities and going to the convention.

Certainly, a lot of people just want to be at the convention. Since this will be your first time to the United States, I thought you would like to know the City Pass was an option. ;-)

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

If you want to explore other parts of Seattle during the convention such as visiting the Space Needle, The Experience Music Project/Sci Fi Museum, Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle Aquarium, or want to do a Harbor Tour w/ Argosy Cruises, there is a Seattle City Pass that allows you to do all of the above things for one price. I bought as City Pass during my first PAX and had a great time doing both tourist activities and going to the convention.

Certainly, a lot of people just want to be at the convention. Since this will be your first time to the United States, I thought you would like to know the City Pass was an option. ;-)

oh i am planning to spend a good week (including the 3 days of PAX) in seattle so i intend to see and do as much as i can outside of PAX. might see if i can get some prescription gunnars too :p

thanks for the good touristy ideas *thumbs up*

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    thegh0sts if you want to do touristy stuff and be surrounded by fellow PAXers I'd suggest joining the Magical Mystery Tour when the thread comes up. It's a two day tour of the sights in Seattle put on by this very community.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    _Cowsvils__Cowsvils_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does that normally run during the convention? I've got a 10:50 flight out on monday night, so I'd definitely be down to do some sightseeing post-PAX

_Cowsvils_ on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    The Magical Mystery Tour runs the Wednesday and Thursday before PAX, typically.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    thegh0sts if you want to do touristy stuff and be surrounded by fellow PAXers I'd suggest joining the Magical Mystery Tour when the thread comes up. It's a two day tour of the sights in Seattle put on by this very community.

sounds good though i would be planning for a wednesday arrival so while it would be fun i may miss out due to timing of flights etc.

but i am really waiting on the passes to be on sale first!

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I used a City Pass for the MMT last year and it worked well. Going for a harbor cruise the day after Pax made it pay for itself.

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I need to tell my friends about the Magical Mystery Tour. Many of them will have time off and would be able/interested in attending!

-edit-

FYI for any parents out there who are attending PAX with their kids--

If anyone wants to join my group for an all-ages outing/pizza party on Saturday Aug. 27, Let me know. I am attending PAX with a group of parents and our children ages 2-6. We are also a group of gamers from the online game The Kingdom of Loathing. For some reason, we all happen to be parents of young kids. XD

Those of us staying up late are also going to Seattle's Best Karaoke later on that same day.

Anyone is welcome to drop by. Just forum PM me.

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Thats good to know, i've never been to Seattle let alone the west coast. I really wanna do the MMT

blAAAm!!! on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heard a rumor that they are dropping Benaroya Hall as part of the venue. Any merit to such a rumor?

ptriz21_teamkill on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Heard a rumor that they are dropping Benaroya Hall as part of the venue. Any merit to such a rumor?

No official messaging on whether or not Benaroya Hall will be in use has been communicated.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2011

I rather enjoyed Benaroya, I hope it's just rumor and not truth!

GeekyPrincess on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    benaroya would be interesting to check out!

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    benaroya would be interesting to check out!

It's a beautiful hall. I've been back a few times since Prime, it's just not the same! Saturday night concerts was one of the best nights I've had in a long long time. I miss it...

GeekyPrincess on
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope it stays. I still remember being the first one in line for the final round of the Omegathon (and first dibs on the pizza, after the enforcers of course). Sitting dead center in the front row for the Omegaclaw is just one of numerous moments that is on my unforgettable PAX moments.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey all, apologies if this has been asked before, but this is my first year I've been able to go to PAX after years of waiting, and I'm rather excited :-D I've a question about the button trading, are there any guidelines, tips or anything like that? How many should I bring? Pins on the back or magnets?

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Hey all, apologies if this has been asked before, but this is my first year I've been able to go to PAX after years of waiting, and I'm rather excited :-D I've a question about the button trading, are there any guidelines, tips or anything like that? How many should I bring? Pins on the back or magnets?

pretty soon you'll see a post pop up about button traders, which all of the information that you are requesting.

though #1 tip, have fun with it!! also, pins are what everyone seems to go with, not magnets.

SmallLady on
This discussion has been closed.