As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic Thread for Monday, March 28, 2011

2»

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    but seriously guys the AR game demos on this thing are fucking cool

Pony on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Jesus, you guys are hard to please.

Not really. I rarely have anything negative to say about the strips, but this one just fell flat on its face for me.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Personally, it's just that any humor value in there is dampened by packaging it with the idea of burning out a little kid's eyes (on top of that, a little kid who has an actual real-life counterpart).

Still, it's art, it's an idea, but comedic? Ehh.

I didn't even consider it Buckleying the joke until reading the thread and even then I still don't think it quite qualifies as such.

SabreMau on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like the warning labels

Ivar on
  • RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    What's funny is that optometrists say that young kids using the 3D on the 3DS is a good thing. Literally the only reason Nintendo posts the warning is because they want to avoid the chance of some crazy parent suing them for "ruining thar kids eyes!!!!"

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-03-18-nintendo-3d-vision_N.htm

The six-years cut-off point is because that is the end of the critical period where it is thought that exposing somebody to unusual stimuli can "re-wire" their brain. That's why this is a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand you have many children who cannot see in 3D but who might be "cured" by making them use 3D cues in gameplay. On the other hand you have many more kids with normal stereoscopic vision that could be damaged by showing them unnatural stimuli while their brains are still highly plastic.

It's a bit like chemotherapy, you'd want it when you have cancer, but not when you're healthy. You'd also want someone who knows what they're doing administering it!

This is an educated guess, anyway (it's damn hard to find any of the original warnings from professionals about this).

/Visual Neuroscientist

RadioElectric on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Personally, it's just that any humor value in there is dampened by packaging it with the idea of burning out a little kid's eyes (on top of that, a little kid who has an actual real-life counterpart).

I didn't even consider it Buckleying the joke until reading the thread and even then I still don't think it quite qualifies as such.

I didn't see it as burning out the eyes. To me it looked like in horror movies/x-files when people get possessed or infected by aliens or whatever.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maybe it would have worked better if Tycho was talking to someone on the phone and the eye-melting happened in the background. Still, a kid with burned-out eyes isn't that great a punchline.

Platy on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really liked this comic, until the last sentence, which kinda flopped. Still a good comic, but since I'm so used to PA nailing those sort of last-word quips, "I should have read it before" was pretty tame by comparison

Javen on
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's not Buckleye'd.

People are too quick to Buckley a comic when it has more words than they deem necessary.

The jokes are - The kids eyes got burned out by the 3DS. The 3Ds has "hilarious" warning text on the box. And the father has a somewhat calm response even though the aforementioned child's eyes have been burned out.

Not liking the comic is fine, I don't particularly like it. But it's not a Buckley comic.
    I really hate Tim Buckley, so I don't take that comparison lightly.

Yeah, a buckley comic would be the kid saying "now my eyes are black" It makes sense for the father to be commenting.

Roger Wilco on
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »

Are you really this sensitive? I imagine you weeping after reading the comic. "Oh that poor little kid!"

Roger Wilco on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They've booby trapped the 3DS somehow! I'll just wait here for the skin to grow back on my eyeballs.

jackal on
  • phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The original Gameboy destroyed my eyes so that I needed to get glasses, I'm glad the tradition continues to the next generation.

phishstik on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there a list of which 3DS launch titles actually make good use of the 3D effects? I'm not necessarily talking about fun value, I'm just wondering which ones are good for the new 3D feature.

Shadow Wars looks cool and is also great fun

Green on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jackal wrote: »
    They've booby trapped the 3DS somehow! I'll just wait here for the skin to grow back on my eyeballs.

How can you see anything with your eyeballs covered in skin?

Ivar on
This discussion has been closed.