As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Fitness Group! [Meetup Friday 4/6 1PM outside the Wyvern Theater]

• Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved this idea from last year! I was such a lurker that I never posted in it, but I will say that losing even 15 lbs between last year and this past year's PAX made a huge difference in my endurance. What a great motivator!!!

Soyduck on
  • Options
    Bigmike64Bigmike64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What a pleasant surprise to see this back on the front page :)

I was really into this last time around, and it definitely helped me lose some weight, but I kinda got tired of talking to myself in the thread. If people participate, I would love to be a part of this again.

The most important thing is to keep updating every week. If we can all commit to that, it would make a huge difference.

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I swear I'll actually update the OP in the near future, probably tomorrow.

I'll compile a list of people 'interested' on this thread, and ask for a small introduction including their personal goals. "Before" pictures are welcome, but I understand if you'd rather not share them with the Internet.
    ArmyKnife wrote: »
    So how should we officially set this up, then? Personally I think we should buy some kind of cheap prizes for each other if we all set some personal goals and manage to achieve them - note, this doesn't mean making it a contest. Just gives us all some extra incentive! I'm sure everyone'll be reasonable about setting their goals and challenges ^_^

I had a thought today, I would totally be down for making some custom buttons to give out at East 2012. If someone had muscle/strength building goals, each goal met would get you a STR +1. For achieving an endurance/cardio goal, CON +1. For skill-based objectives (yoga, martial arts, etc.), DEX +1.

Let me know what you think.

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Options
    ArmyKnifeArmyKnife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'll compile a list of people 'interested' on this thread, and ask for a small introduction including their personal goals. "Before" pictures are welcome, but I understand if you'd rather not share them with the Internet.
    So how should we officially set this up, then? Personally I think we should buy some kind of cheap prizes for each other if we all set some personal goals and manage to achieve them - note, this doesn't mean making it a contest. Just gives us all some extra incentive! I'm sure everyone'll be reasonable about setting their goals and challenges ^_^

I had a thought today, I would totally be down for making some custom buttons to give out at East 2012. If someone had muscle/strength building goals, each goal met would get you a STR +1. For achieving an endurance/cardio goal, CON +1. For skill-based objectives (yoga, martial arts, etc.), DEX +1.

O_O I like. Though I have to say some martial arts really improve STR and DEX xD. One of my best strength-training routines for my arms has been German Longsword. Regardless, what kinda buttons would we be looking at? This is a brilliant idea!

ArmyKnife on
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm definitely interested. About time I get a physical anyways.

Direwolf on
    5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was in it last year, but ended up not being able to go to PAX East. I met one of my goals from last year (155 lbs, woo!), but now only have ~15lbs to lose before I'm at my "ideal" weight. I've become fairly muscular thanks to a starting strength-style workout routine and a paleo diet, so I'm aiming for a stable weight of 135-140.

I prolly won't join the actual contest part this year, but gogo moral support :D!

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Im in if we do it. I need to loose some pounds and I wont be able to go to PAX Prime so it would be good to get a long term goal for EAST 2012

spiderz13 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Updated the OP with stuff, gogo check it out

BaconSandwich on
  • Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm totally on board with this, though I'm still not sure how I'd figure out the stats for my goals. Right now I'm focusing on getting into better habits to drop some weight.

I checked out +5CHA like someone here suggested, and it seems pretty awesome. I'd really recommend it to anyone else who is looking for a geek-friendly forum to help them get started and keep motivated for working out.

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm totally on board with this, though I'm still not sure how I'd figure out the stats for my goals. Right now I'm focusing on getting into better habits to drop some weight.

I checked out +5CHA like someone here suggested, and it seems pretty awesome. I'd really recommend it to anyone else who is looking for a geek-friendly forum to help them get started and keep motivated for working out.

What are you planning on doing to drop weight? You could split up your better habits into goals, for example:

1) Walking X Number of Steps per week (using a pedometer) [+1 CON]

2) Sticking to an X Calorie diet [+1 WIS]

3) Strength training X days per week [+1 STR]

Dropping weight could be your Level Up. I would recommend a numbered weight goal, as that can be an excellent driving factor.

Obviously, real life happens, and people won't be penalized if they can't make their goals every week. So long as a concerted effort is made, that's the important thing.

BaconSandwich on
  • Options
    LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I LOVE that idea so freaking much! I can totally see myself pushing through those last five situps with the goal of earning that strength button at PAX next year. I'm pretty good with photoshop, so let me know if you need help creating the artwork for the buttons.

Also - I saw a few people mention hiking. Korvas and I hike together often. I plan on doing a lot of hiking starting in the next few weeks, as soon as the weather gets into the 60s. I'll be going to the Blue Hills for weekend day hikes. If anybody is interested in tagging along, I would be happy to plan "PAX Get-In-Shapeathon Hikes." If there is enough interest I can make a button for that too. Complete 10 hikes with me and earn a "Trailrunner" button. This would also offer Korvas and myself time to share some knowledge on healthy living, proper nutrition, and setting safe realistic goals. Any takers?

LordGimmik on
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    not to mention how to learn the art of leave no trace... Lol

Korvas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    LordGimmik wrote: »

I LOVE that idea so freaking much! I can totally see myself pushing through those last five situps with the goal of earning that strength button at PAX next year. I'm pretty good with photoshop, so let me know if you need help creating the artwork for the buttons.

Also - I saw a few people mention hiking. Korvas and I hike together often. I plan on doing a lot of hiking starting in the next few weeks, as soon as the weather gets into the 60s. I'll be going to the Blue Hills for weekend day hikes. If anybody is interested in tagging along, I would be happy to plan "PAX Get-In-Shapeathon Hikes." If there is enough interest I can make a button for that too. Complete 10 hikes with me and earn a "Trailrunner" button. This would also offer Korvas and myself time to share some knowledge on healthy living, proper nutrition, and setting safe realistic goals. Any takers?

What area do you guys live in?

ArmyKnife on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What area do you guys live in?

We're both on the South Shore of MA, about 30 minutes outside of Boston.

LordGimmik on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We're both on the South Shore of MA, about 30 minutes outside of Boston.

Cool - I'm in North-Eastern Connecticut. Maybe we could organize something in the area for hiking?

ArmyKnife on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, so I've been thinking of how we can better organize goals and use the points setup, and this is what came up... you compose the points into 2 categories... Basic moves and your special moves...

The basics...
    These moves/exercises are things everyone can work on push-ups, sit-ups, running, balance anything. 10 push-ups in a row = +1 strength and so forth. These moves can be constantly worked on to continue to gain strength agility speed, and whatever else. You only got +2 strength this year cause you could only make it to 20 push-ups in a row, that's fine, it gives you a new goal for next year, you are in great shape, and can easily get +10 strength with push ups great you can still participate and go for +20... it makes it a never ending game.

Special moves...

here is where it gets really fun...

These are moves/exercises that are goal based, you can only do them once for the points, and you can share and trade all kinds of ideas with beginners, to experts. (this is just an example, and really you can come up with a limitless amount of goals to be achieved) Lets say you are into parkuor as a side hobby, there is this wall backflip you are trying to land. what you do is find a cool name for it, post it up here for all to see, and we can vote on what attributes you would receive when you finally hit this goal. it can be based on difficulty rarity, and what things are involved... Another fun thing about this is you can shoot a vid of you doing it to post it up on here, maybe take a photo of you doing it and make a cool little button for and "achievement" there are so many possibilities with this now... Not only are you now hitting a new goal for yourself now maybe some one else on here sees it and says I want to learn how to do that, and now some one else can accomplish the "evasive wall back-flip" for the next time they are fighting the big boss...

Breaking it up into these 2 categories will help do 3 things. First. it allows everyone to play and join in, not just those who are starting from scratch, from the basic of beginners, to the most advance, every one can gain and lvl up. The second it gives us a really good control over who hit, and broke goals. last year you only had +2 strength, this year you have +50.... And last and what I think is the coolest, It allows you to work on the stats you want, and helps customize the individuals goals.. maybe you have no need for +50 strength but you want +50 speed, easy work on your running and other speed/agility stuff and not the strength, maybe you want to be a well rounded person you can work on all, maybe you want to be a power house then just work on the strength and so on and so forth...

So thats what I came up with... let me know what you think...

Korvas on
  • Options
    BCBarneyBCBarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright, I'm in on this. I'll have to think up some goals. I've been working on a calorie goal since October and have lost 20 lbs so far. I still have about 20 lbs to go for the target I set back in October.

Korvas and Lord Gimmik, I'd be interested in hiking. I'm in Swansea, which is in between Providence and Fall River, so Blue Hills is definitely something I'd be interested in. I may even bring my wife and 7 yr old son with me.

BCBarney on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BCBarney wrote: »
    Alright, I'm in on this. I'll have to think up some goals. I've been working on a calorie goal since October and have lost 20 lbs so far. I still have about 20 lbs to go for the target I set back in October.

Korvas and Lord Gimmik, I'd be interested in hiking. I'm in Swansea, which is in between Providence and Fall River, so Blue Hills is definitely something I'd be interested in. I may even bring my wife and 7 yr old son with me.

I'll start looking over my maps and plan out some trails. I can post letting everybody know which hike I'm planning for which weekends. I'll try to rate them based on terrain difficulty and overall length. It will be up to you to choose which hikes are appropriate for your personal fitness level and goals. The short easy hikes on relatively flat trails would be best for family. For some of the longer / harder hikes it may be advisable to leave the kids at home.

LordGimmik on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'll start looking over my maps and plan out some trails. I can post letting everybody know which hike I'm planning for which weekends. I'll try to rate them based on terrain difficulty and overall length. It will be up to you to choose which hikes are appropriate for your personal fitness level and goals. The short easy hikes on relatively flat trails would be best for family. For some of the longer / harder hikes it may be advisable to leave the kids at home.

Since it's a two-hour car ride for me to get to the Blue Hills area, I'd probably only show up for the longer hikes (i.e. the kind I can get a day's worth out of ^_^).

Also, the rough fitness plan I've come up with so far goes like this:

STR: I gain one point for every week I exercise, doing 2 or 3 days a week and working separate muscle groups to attempt to raise my overall physical level. One day a week can be my martial art (See explanation for why below).
    DEX: I gain one point of dex for every two weeks I go to my martial art.
    CON: Every 2.5 minutes I add (not counting cooldown period) to my elliptical routine, starting at 8 minutes. If I start getting to a point where I can go for longer and longer, and 2.5 minutes no longer becomes practical, I'll start adding points on a logarithmic scale.

As my martial art is Historical Fencing with a strong focus in German Longsword, strength comes pretty readily with the job of learning how to use one, or practicing what is already known. The strength of a cut, for instance, is based on how quickly you can swing, not how hard. Therefore developing a lot of muscle control to keep a (well balanced) 2.2-pound rod of steel in precise control becomes key to learning how to fence. And while 2.2 lbs doesn't sound like a lot of weight, it becomes *way* more tiring than you'd think after practicing cutting for only 5 or ten minutes.
    n613134224_2590862_606726.jpg
    Obligatory photo of my first time practicing cutting - of course I was completely out of practice (if you know what you're looking for I have terrible form >.<) and thought I was just going to a Blacksmith's presentation so I wasn't dressed for physical activity xD

[Edit]I'm not sure exactly what I should set up for a Challenge for myself yet.[/Edit]

ArmyKnife on
  • Options
    UriainUriain Frantically reloading Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would also like to be involved in this please.

I think it is en excellent idea, and I feel kinda silly that I never thought of the "level up" system for working out.

Both PAXEast last year (2010) and this years (2011) were a lot of fun, but I know I would have felt a lot better and more energetic if I wasnt as heavy as I currently am.

For those of us who are bigger.. a "short term" (PAX Prime 2011) and "long term" (PAX East 2012) is a GREAT set of goals...

Looking forward to see the finalized rules, and where we submit them :)

If it is here, I will edit my entry :D

Uriain on
    Split Infinity Radio - Get loud, Get Mental
    Saturdays 5pm EST - HEADSHOT - Getting your First, Third, and everything inbetween shooter news, reviews and gameplay tips
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll need to get some sort of thing figured out for myself, as far as goals and tracking and such. I did want to suggest that maybe we could do something to help out Child's Play or something as well, but I dunno what this could possibly look like, so if you have ideas, post them. I was thinking similar to the Biggest Loser Pound For Pound Challenge, with one lb pledged equaling one lb of groceries to a food bank.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    EaliEali Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am definitely liking this. I am trying to figure out my own goals and way of stat tracking, but this sounds really promising.

Eali on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Korvas wrote: »
    Ok, so I've been thinking of how we can better organize goals and use the points setup, and this is what came up... you compose the points into 2 categories... Basic moves and your special moves...

The basics...
    These moves/exercises are things everyone can work on push-ups, sit-ups, running, balance anything. 10 push-ups in a row = +1 strength and so forth. These moves can be constantly worked on to continue to gain strength agility speed, and whatever else. You only got +2 strength this year cause you could only make it to 20 push-ups in a row, that's fine, it gives you a new goal for next year, you are in great shape, and can easily get +10 strength with push ups great you can still participate and go for +20... it makes it a never ending game.

Special moves...

here is where it gets really fun...

These are moves/exercises that are goal based, you can only do them once for the points, and you can share and trade all kinds of ideas with beginners, to experts. (this is just an example, and really you can come up with a limitless amount of goals to be achieved) Lets say you are into parkuor as a side hobby, there is this wall backflip you are trying to land. what you do is find a cool name for it, post it up here for all to see, and we can vote on what attributes you would receive when you finally hit this goal. it can be based on difficulty rarity, and what things are involved... Another fun thing about this is you can shoot a vid of you doing it to post it up on here, maybe take a photo of you doing it and make a cool little button for and "achievement" there are so many possibilities with this now... Not only are you now hitting a new goal for yourself now maybe some one else on here sees it and says I want to learn how to do that, and now some one else can accomplish the "evasive wall back-flip" for the next time they are fighting the big boss...

Breaking it up into these 2 categories will help do 3 things. First. it allows everyone to play and join in, not just those who are starting from scratch, from the basic of beginners, to the most advance, every one can gain and lvl up. The second it gives us a really good control over who hit, and broke goals. last year you only had +2 strength, this year you have +50.... And last and what I think is the coolest, It allows you to work on the stats you want, and helps customize the individuals goals.. maybe you have no need for +50 strength but you want +50 speed, easy work on your running and other speed/agility stuff and not the strength, maybe you want to be a well rounded person you can work on all, maybe you want to be a power house then just work on the strength and so on and so forth...

So thats what I came up with... let me know what you think...

I really really like where this is going. I was thinking in terms of D&D where +1 or 2 STR is a huge improvement, but the way you outline it gives it real, measurable results. We could start with maybe a basic fitness test to determine starting stats, then track advancement at 6 month intervals?

BaconSandwich on
  • Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm interested in doing this but am not exactly sure I get how it's going to work yet. Oh well, add me to the list and I'll keep watching.

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what the hell I can always stand to be in better shape and I need to lose 15lbs anyway, might as well do it with people. i'm in.

MxWood on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I really really like where this is going. I was thinking in terms of D&D where +1 or 2 STR is a huge improvement, but the way you outline it gives it real, measurable results. We could start with maybe a basic fitness test to determine starting stats, then track advancement at 6 month intervals?

yeah my only trouble is finding all the "basic exercises ppl can do.. .obviously push ups sit ups, and pull ups would make good +strength but can't really thing of anything for speed, stamina, agility... so I have found a flaw in my plan I guess... lol

Korvas on
  • Options
    UriainUriain Frantically reloading Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For Strength training try a couple of these:

1) Put some soup cans (for weight) in a backpack, and you can do curls
    2) Body Squats (squad with no extra weight)
    3) Squats with backpack on, with soup cans for weight

Its a bit "home brewed" so to speak, but I have found if you dont have the money/time to get to the gym on a regular basis, basic stuff like that can work. Also, pick up a cheap set of dumbbells from wallmart or a similar place...they are always handy

For Endurance simple running of steps or a jog can help build up your endurance to whatever level you wish it to be.

Speed, there are a couple different things that i would consider:

1) Posts - Jog from the first post, to the second, sprint to the third, jog to the fourth....etc. Once you feel you are no longer being "pushed" by running to 1 post.. make it a 2-1 ratio.. sprint for 2 lightposts job for 1, and so on...

Uriain on
    Split Infinity Radio - Get loud, Get Mental
    Saturdays 5pm EST - HEADSHOT - Getting your First, Third, and everything inbetween shooter news, reviews and gameplay tips
  • Options
    sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I so want in on this! I feel like I wasted a year because I didn't have the motivation so hopefully this well help.

sofreshsodarryl on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think a good addition to this thread would be a basic workout guide. Things like exercises that can be done in gyms, exercises that use only body resistance (and thus require no equipment or gym membership to do), etc. That'd make it easier for people to pick what they'd like and set up goals :)

ArmyKnife on
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also signed up and then disappeared for this previously... My one thing I want to do is be able to run. I see people jogging and running and they seem to enjoy it so much and I'm super jealous =( I have <i>awful</i> asthma though and I've been trying to do the Zombie Fit anaerobic exercises to get beyond my lungs failure at being useful but running a mile usually means me using (or abusing) my inhaler every 200 meters..... yes I realise I am mixing up my units.

Hmm, as of right now I can climb 5.7's super easily so lets set 5.10s w/overhang as a goal, and I'd also like to be able to run more then 1.3 miles before I stop being able to breathe, but I'm not sure if that's possible with my lame-ass-lungs. And I'd also like to have a 5.50minute 500 yd freestyle swim again (back to my highschool speed) I'm at about 6.50 right now.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm trying to learn how to run too Nakki! We'll see how this turns out. Our neighborhood has way too many fit people running so I feel as though I have to cave to the peer pressure :\

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For you potential runners out there, there are a number of fantastic apps and/or Websites that track your progress, keep you motivated and even let you compete with your friends. Nike+ GPS, dailymile are a few that come to mind.

Like many of you, I'd always start running with a good plan to keep myself going, but at the end of the week I'd just fizzle out. These apps really help by turning running into a sort of MMO game. It's a serious motivating factor when you know all your friends are going to see if you ran that day and even more motivation comes when they start cheering you on.

Some of the Websites even have leveling up and avatar systems. They also have groups you can join. For instance, I was in a World of Warcraft class challenge in Nike+, where each class was pitted against each other to see who could run the farthest. Those sorts of things really give you a kick in the pants to keep going. They also have exercise/diet plans to also help keep you on track. The best part is most of them are free. (The Nike+ GPS app is 2 bucks, I think. But you don't need the sensor for your shoe anymore.)

At any rate, the results were as follows. I ran nearly 300 miles, burned more than 30,000 calories, lost 15 pounds, started going to the gym, trimmed down enough to look good naked, and ran a 5k, 10k and a half marathon in the past year. I can't recommend these things enough for people who need a game to play to keep motivated.

I think this thread is awesome. And I'm all for fellow geeks and nerds being in shape, sexy and just trying to improve their health by whatever quotient they can.

If any of you pick up Nike+ I'm on there as dpisthedeep. Friend me and we can play tag!

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nike+ sounds awesome, but I don't wear Nike shoes and I know they have a special thing in the sole where the nike+ thing goes. Is there any way to use it with a different brand of shoes? I wear Adidas and they have the Micoach thing, but it sounds like Nike+ might be more what I need. I am trying to start running and I need an extra kick in the ass to get moving!

Oh, and here are my stat and level up goals. My main goal is to lose weight. I lost a ton of weight years ago and got to 205lbs, then I got pregnant...with twins. After months of sitting on the couch playing videogames and doing nothing else (I was on bedrest) I got up to 270 after having the kids. I'm back down to 238, but I still have quite a bit to go. I would really like to not be as exhausted at the end of PAX East next year and I think losing the weight, and just being healthier all around, will really help.

Run a 5k +1 CON

20 push ups without stopping +1 STR

Stop eating so much crap and stick to a healthier food. I'm paying for Weight Watchers, I should probably use it +1 WIS

Level up- Lose 40 lbs to finally be under 200 lbs for the first time in 8 years!

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No need for Nike shoes, just get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Shoe-Pouch-Assorted-Colors/dp/B000UGLIXC

And if you've got at least a 2g iPod Touch or a iPhone 3gs you just need the Nike+ app from the app store, no sensor required. Saves you like 18 bucks.

If you don't want to fiddle with the tech, Dailymile is a good, free option too. You have to keep track of your own numbers and plug them in, though.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Excellent idea, so long as everyone does things in a healthy manner.

It could do well to take into account the thin folks who are still out of shape (they're certainly prevalent among us nerds, and I was one myself). For those, excersize is the best measure of success. It is notoriously difficult for people with high metabolism to add mass.

Anyway, I would sign up myself, but I've been keeping fit for some time - I'm currently training to run my first marathon at the end of May. Let's be fair.

For those involved, good luck. Have fun. And I look forward to seeing some healthier geeks at the next PAX. Let me know if you want to do a pre-PAX run next time.

BeerNgaming on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Greetings once again from That Guy Reading Jane McGonigal's Book. Just finished the bit on SuperBetter and I think I found a piece of the puzzle we've been missing. We need Monsters to fight. Just like any RPG encounter I think webshould identify daily habits that get in the way of us getting in shape - anything from the ease of fast food to comfort icecream to excuses popping up that keep us from going to the gym (damn those sloth demons!). I know I would find it helpful to gain XP not just from completing challenges but from fighting and potentially killing my own personal monsters! What do you guys think?

Edit: maybe we should also consider using plusoneme.com?

ArmyKnife on
  • Options
    auspexauspex Skullcrusher MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Count me in! :) I've been psyching myself up to do C25K (www.c25k.com) and could use the extra motivation. I might also make some Blue Hills hikes if they happen - I live in Boston, but I'm not always free on weekends.

auspex on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    auspex wrote: »
    Count me in! :) I've been psyching myself up to do C25K (www.c25k.com) and could use the extra motivation. I might also make some Blue Hills hikes if they happen - I live in Boston, but I'm not always free on weekends.

I am also doing the C25K program! So far I love it! I just started this week. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to start running. They start you off with mostly walking and 1 minute at a time runs and go up from there. There are tons of resources to get started on the site Auspex listed. I use the iPhone app, and I think that the site said there is one for Android too.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    auspex wrote: »

I am also doing the C25K program! So far I love it! I just started this week. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to start running. They start you off with mostly walking and 1 minute at a time runs and go up from there. There are tons of resources to get started on the site Auspex listed. I use the iPhone app, and I think that the site said there is one for Android too.

Awesome to hear that more people are getting in to running. I'm almost done with C25K and will be running a 3.5 mile obstacle race on the 30th. The program has been invaluable for getting me to that point, especially since I absolutely HATED running. There were a few weeks that I had to do more than once, so don't feel bad about repeating if you have to. Also, I discovered that kneeling (sitting on my feet) for a few minutes after every run really helped with my nasty shin splints.

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    ReKillReKill Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    If anyone needs some help on any of this, hit me with a PM. I do nutritional and training consult through email. Not here to plug, just want to help considering I feel like being a huge nerd and being a fitness professional makes me obligated to help my fellow nerdites! I am not normally accepted by other nerds (sry for the QQ), and when I went to PAX I really felt as if I had 60,000 new friends.

ReKill on