As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My macbook hdd died..what should I do?

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Posting this from my phone as my only computer is dead. Horrible timing as I was hoping to replace it when ipad 2 became easy tio find. Now I have some options:

1. Replace hdd. Have no idea how hard it would be, or expensive through apple store.

2. Buy new laptop. This means no ipad.

3. Get a net book for now to tide me over till I get an ipad

4. Xoom. Another tablet I was considering and would be much easier to find.

Thoughts?

Kyougu on

• Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When you say your "only computer is dead", are you referring to the broken Macbook or a different unit?

I ask because the iPad requires a computer for syncing; I'm not sure how the Xoom operates.

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Referring to my macbook.

My roommate does have a laptop I could use I figure.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It seems like a fairly obvious first step would be to take your Macbook in to an Apple store. They can diagnose the problem for you - I know you said it was the hard drive, but depending on what actually happened, it could just as easily be something like a faulty battery or an overheating issue. Whatever it turns out to be, they should tell you what it is and give you a quote on how much they would charge to fix it, and once you have that, you'll be able to make a much more informed decision about what you want to do with it.

It won't cost you anything but time to take it in for a diagnosis, and even that can be minimized if you book a Genius Bar appointment online a day or two ahead of time.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    if the drive itself is bad, they're not terribly difficult to change.

Other World Computing sells kits with instructions for your exact model of laptop. It can't be too difficult as my non technical boss was able to swap the one in his MBP on his own without breaking anything

wmelon on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I swapped out my 1st gen MBP HDD with little trouble.
    It's definitely possible and quite easy if you have the tools (cheap!) and take your time. And hey, if the warranty is expired anyway...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So after checking out some youtube videos and trying to get the HDD out, it does look like it's ridicolously easy to switch out HDD. Going to attempt that.

What HDD should I be looking for? This is a regular Macbook, 2007 model, so it's not an uniform body. It's the model that you had to use the coin to pop off the battery cover.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've replaced the HDD in my 2007 macbook twice. It's incredibly easy and you can get a drive for less than $50. Apple would probably charge you $200+ to fix it.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    is it the unibody? those things are ridiculously easy to replace. its like popping out one lever and 1 screw. then you just swap teh HDD posts to the new drive

the longest part for me was finding the right bit size for those damn posts

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Not the unibody, but it was still ridicously easy to replace. Though I did have a minor freakout when it wasn't showing the HDD. Then I realized I had to format it.

Kinda sucks I lost all my stuff (though nothing too important). On the plus side my macbook is running really smoothly now.

Thread can be locked.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SupertankerSupertanker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My wife's Macbook Pro had the SuperDrive and the HDD die after about a year. Apple refused to honor her extended AppleCare (they found a 4mm x 0.5mm dent on a corner as evidence of "abuse"), and gave us an estimate of $1300 to fix it. This would include a new case to replace the "abused" one, and they refused to do any partial repairs like just replacing the drives - all or nothing.

Instead, I went to Powerbook Medic, bought replacement drives & the proper screwdrivers for about $200, then used PBM's instructional videos to crack open the Pro & replace the drives. Those were very helpful in dealing with all of the various bits of tape & plastic that holds those things together inside. It only took about 45 minutes. Once I reinstalled the OS (just pop in the DVD & let it run), she was back in business.

Supertanker on