As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help picking topic for WS report

cintaricintari Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
In a brain slump here. The requirements for my report is that it has to be on a living woman. I tried looking up more personal information for one individual, Michiru Oshima, came up with nothing. Tried to see if there were any prominent female game developers, wikipedias list had 1 and i didn't recognize the game series she worked on. Going to try and look up information on Chikayo Fukuda right now. If you know any living women (Oprah, Michelle Obama, etc. have been taken for the most part) feel free to drop names.

cintari on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can't think of any living women to do a report on? Like, not even one other than Oprah or Michelle Obama?

*sigh*

If you're looking for the "game developer" sort of angle, Brenda Brathwaite might be someone to look into. I'm not sure how detailed your report needs to be, or even what the report is, but given that you're starting at Wikipedia I'm guessing you don't have to do much work, and depending on what needs to go in the report you probably won't have trouble finding enough stuff on her.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    cintaricintari Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can't think of any living women to do a report on? Like, not even one other than Oprah or Michelle Obama?

No I learn under the southern education system. It's not as bad as most would imagine. We write on the pelts of dead squirrels and occasionally get a book or two to share amongst our grades students. Our required literature is Dr. Seuss ABC's and whatever we can find written amongst the bathroom stalls. I must admit though my lack of knowledge when it comes to women mostly has to do with the fact that I'm a male chauvinist. I chose at an early age to learn as little as I could about womens rights, accomplishments, and such. (Or it could have been the fact that the majority of history books I got in my classes had only about 4 or 5 mentions of famous women and furthermore, barely covered anything after WWII).

ps
    My womens studies teacher isn't the best of teachers. Her lessons usually consist of 15 minutes of talking about ancient Hawaiin and Roman goddesses followed by 35 minutes of Betty Boop cartoons and Billy Jole songs. At the end of class we're given a crossword puzzle or fill in the blank worksheet to create the illusion that she is actually teaching us. Its the middle of the second semester and I haven't had a single test, or essay assignment to do. She's just cashing in time till school's over.

cintari on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That isn't a very good reason for not being able to think of a women to write about.

If you want something video game related, how about Jane McGonigal?
    Or Jane Goodall?
    Or Charna Halpern?
    Or Madonna?
    Or Casey Anthony?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about female scientists?

I like the above suggestion of Jane Goodall, also here's some more you could read about:
    Sally Ride (Astronaut)
    Shirley Ann Jackson (Physics)
    Temple Grandin (Animal Scientist)

Actually, I think a report about Temple Grandin would be fun. My boyfriend said her autobiography is really interesting, and there was a movie about her that came out last year as well.

Pure Din on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gale Simone- comic book writer with good stuff on women superheroes and how they have been portrayed in comic books.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Carly Fiorina - very influential woman in business.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Marie Curie and Amelia Earhart would work as well?

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Except for the currently living part

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Except for the currently living part

Madame Curie is a picture of health - she's positively glowing!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And the absence of proof is not proof of absence! Earhart must still be alive!

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darla Moore could work for you. She's a fairly famous banking and investment executive.

wmelon on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about a living, inspirational, female relative? Some teachers really eat up the personal touch.

oldsak on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ursula K LeGuin, a prolific SF/Fantasy author, who's fairly active in writing/library circles.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*