As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MONSTER MAAAAAYHEEEEEEEM

GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Critical Failures
I was buying paints at my local gaming shop today, when I saw that familiar White Wolf logo out of the corner of my eye.
Apparently White Wolf has is putting out board games now.
Monster Mayhem is hex based board game for 2-5 players, where you take on the role of a monster out to eat people.
MonsterMayhem.jpg

In the modern world, the things that go bump in the night are real. As a vampire, werewolf, mummy, poltergeist or zombie, you stalk the city after dark, searching for human victims to sate your inhuman appetites. Be it blood, bones, brains, organs or spirit that you crave, you prowl the shadows in search of prey. But your victims are not helpless! They run for their lives and do whatever it takes to survive. Other monsters may even devour your intended prey, whether for sustenance or to spite you.

Monster Mayhem is a light-hearted game of going bump in the night — and eating people! Consume the most of the living dish you crave and you rule the sleeping city.

MonsterMayhemLargePicture.jpg

This game includes:
• A fold-out board representing the city in which you lurk
• One rulebook
• 5 different Monster Playing Pieces from which to choose, all with their own unique powers and weaknesses, including a Vampire, Werewolf, Mummy, Zombie and Poltergeist [View Pictures]
• 5 Monster Cards, one for each type of monster
• 30 Victim Chits representing different victims your monster can hunt
• 30 Victim Cards detailing the potential victims
• 20 hex tiles that let you rearrange the city with each new game
• 50 Events Cards with which to get the jump on victims or to harass other monsters
• 36 Escape Cards
• 5 craving markers to move up and down the craving point trackers
• All the dice you need to play

Has anyone actually played this? It sounds really cool, and I'm inclined to trust the White Wolf brand with something like this, but I don't want to drop the cash without knowing if it's actually fun.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on

• AdeptAdept Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, I didn't even know this game exsisted which is odd for me. I'm a HUGE BGG person and a major board game fiend so I thought for sure I would have seen this one. So sad, i'm slipping. It sounds fun though.

If you dig monsters you should really check out MONSTERS MENACE AMERICA by AH, friggin great fun.

Adept on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I'm going to look for a copy of this at Strategicon this weekend. This is the sort of thing I can bully my wife into playing.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    This game is completely and totally terrible and should be avoided at all costs.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    This game is completely and totally terrible and should be avoided at all costs.

Whoa thanks for the heads up. I was totally going to buy it. What's so bad about it?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited May 2007
    Manifest wrote: »

Whoa thanks for the heads up. I was totally going to buy it. What's so bad about it?

I've only looked at it, but then recieved the advice I gave when I looked too closely. It's apparently really quite bad.

This will tell you more:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/frank_branham_plea_to_horror_game_designers_monster_mayhem/

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's disappointing, especially since Vampire: Prince in the City was such a fun game.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Until recently when I started getting into wargaming and stuff I wasn't aware that board games beyond the scope of, say, Life or Candyland existed.

Not that those games don't rule.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    That's disappointing, especially since Vampire: Prince in the City was such a fun game.

They actually used some ideas in this game they cut from Vampire, but everyone agrees it was to no use.

Which is a damn shame.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I Think I want to get Arkham Horror, is that any good?

Sharp101 on
  • TinMan1997TinMan1997 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Classic horror games of the 80's like Chill: Black Morn Manor and Minion Hunter are so much better that this throwback. The tedious monster movement reminds me of the original 80's Arkham Horror, but lacks that game's impending sense of doom.

Woo-hoo, a Black Morn Manor reference! Black Morn Manor was pretty darn similar to Betrayal at House on the Hill, but with really crappy components (the worlds worst cardboard cards- cheaper stock than a run of the mill business card.

I've got a thing for horror board games, but I guess I'll be avoiding this one.

TinMan1997 on
    logo_top.gif
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

They actually used some ideas in this game they cut from Vampire, but everyone agrees it was to no use.

Which is a damn shame.

That's really too bad. Then again, I guess they worked on Vampire for quite a long time. Maybe they just need a seven year release cycle to really get a game polished.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I Think I want to get Arkham Horror, is that any good?

Be prepared for long set-up times, lots of table space, confusing rules, and the fact that, most of the time, you will die. Horribly.

That said, once you get the hang of things, and especially if you have a group with whom you can divide the labor, it's alot of fun, with great atmosphere. I mean, you get to fight Cthulhu. What else could you want?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X