As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    I feel like there's cooler stuff to be done with Hughes' style than he does
    if only he'd stop thinking with just his dick

To be fair, the brief phase in his career where he was thinking primarily with his feet and stomach didn't do much for him financially. DC just didn't have that many issues coming out per month that featured ottomans and Lunchables as main story elements.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just saying, a little bit of pancreatic input could be good

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    I'm just saying, a little bit of pancreatic input could be good

I don't know what this means.

I demand you illustrate what the results of this would be right now.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm all doodled out
    the noir dog made me all depressed

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    aw hell

11h9b1w.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As a side question: Is Power Girl actually a good comic/character? Maybe I just got the wrong impression because all I know about her is how Adam Hughes draws her, but my impression was that it was less a comic as it was a series of boob drawings, with a story appended to it as an afterthought.
    The Justin Gray/Jimmy Palmiotti/Amanda Conner run (collected here, and here) is pretty good. I think having a woman do all the art had a positive effect on the character, making all of her cheesecake-y elements seem kind of fun, rather than exploitative. And the series was divided pretty evenly between her having slice-of-life adventures, fighting weird Silver Age characters like Vartox, and sight gags about her cat.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So does she like, punch people ala other superheros, or does she just perform acts of charity like helping out small businesses and knocking up entire planets or what?

It looks fun, but female artist or not, I still think I'd probably get accused of reading it for all the wrong reasons (not necessarily inaccurately, but still!)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Michael!

2n9aozk.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So does she like, punch people ala other superheros, or does she just perform acts of charity like helping out small businesses and knocking up entire planets or what?

It looks fun, but female artist or not, I still think I'd probably get accused of reading it for all the wrong reasons (not necessarily inaccurately, but still!)

I think there's a bit of everything?

When I first started posting in these forums, I drew this old ugly thing. Yesterday I re-created it!

wellbehavedwomen.jpg

melting_doll on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes, she punches things. It's still a superhero book.

I feel weird derailing the Doodle thread, but if you ever want comics advice, come over to Graphic Violence. Since I'm already posting here, here's what I drew last night before bed:
    2j0xf5y.jpg

It's another case of my sketches having more energy than the end product. I also need to redraw the guy on the left's legs and feet.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    man loosen that stuff up a little munch

macax2.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I started this a while ago and recently found it almost completed, and thought it would be a shame to not finish it up.

eqtroll.jpg

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Not that I have any room to talk, but I think he could do with varying the natural values of his skin
    lighter on the ventral surfaces and on the bottoms of the feet and on the palm, etc.
    not that you can see the palms or the bottoms of the feet
    just pointing out some of the places where values are lighter
    not that you didn't already know that

did you know there's a Sardinian cheese that has live insect larvae in it?

Tam on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is that the same cheese that is actually illegal to sell because the insects will then proceed to eat your stomach.

Also I am diggin that scos. Add in some more color variations like tam said and some more specular highlights and its golden.

confusion.jpg
    minne.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wakkawa, I loathe to post after you, but here we are.

theunderwaters_1000px.jpg

themirrors_1000px.jpg

thesplash_800px.jpg

Almost finished them all - very shitty photos though.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Mr PocketsMr Pockets Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You should just draw a bunch of manly men to woo his herum of harpies, and then what does he have? as well, stuff I been working on lately...
    leaguesphinx.jpg
    oceanwalker2.jpg

Mr Pockets on
    FC DS:1590 1312 9126
    artbydanger.com
    andrewdickinger.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That first one is insane Robuts.

I hate not having anytime to do drawing or really anything fun at the moment. I hate having to do stupid work to earn stupid money.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    pencil doodle, gouache doodle.
    uglyears.jpg
    boots.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    loooove that gouache doodle!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    while your handwritings kerning is strange, I would agree that that painting is swanky. Im always impressed with people who use that medium, It hates me so much.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Why, thankee, yous. I really keep meaning to do more gouache stuff in my pitiful effort to try to be Nathan Fowkes, so it's good to have some encouragement. :)

I need someone kick me out of bed and force me to do plein air painting on the weekends to enhance my artsy-fartsy powers, though.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    while your handwritings kerning is strange, I would agree that that painting is swanky. Im always impressed with people who use that medium, It hates me so much.

Any messy medium where colors can smear and "contaminate" each other is like kryptonite to me. Charcoal, digital and graphite are pretty much the only things I can do.

Oh hai, comfort zone! [/tommywiseau]

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finally got my new comp, windows 7 and my tablet working right. So just doodling...
    1-1.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »

Any messy medium where colors can smear and "contaminate" each other is like kryptonite to me. Charcoal, digital and graphite are pretty much the only things I can do.

Just wait for layers to dry...? Although I've done some cool 'wet' paintings with acrylic recently.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »

Just wait for layers to dry...? Although I've done some cool 'wet' paintings with acrylic recently.

That doesn't really work that well with gouache. Although it dries to the touch in a couple of seconds to minutes (depending on the amount of water you use, it doesn't permanently dry the way oils or acrylics do; if you spritz some water onto a gouache painting that's 30 years old, you'll still be able to pull off the paint by soaking up the water with a paper towel. This means that while you can layer wet paint over dry paint a bit with gouache, the instant that wetness starts reactivating that dry paint, it ends up mixing the two pigments together, rather than having a fresh new color just sitting on top of the old.

Which on one hand can be a pain, but on the other hand, it does encourage you to be very careful so you put down the correct strokes/colors the first time, rather than trying to hash it out by putting on layer after layer of paint. At least that's the theory/what I'm hoping for...I certainly developed a lot of sloppy habits by working digitally that don't translate well to physical painting that it would be nice to break.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    111fx.jpg

Fuck you fur.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    AoB: You're totally right - I didn't realise he was talking specifically about gouache. My bad!

I thought I'd update this since I made some changeroos.

under-update-face-web.jpg

under-update-web.jpg

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    minne.jpg

I really like this one, Wak. It reminds the model for my Life Drawing class this semester. She's 6'1" flat-footed, so I always feel like I am drawing her limbs too long... then I realize she's just REALLY lanky. Very nice. I guess I could post some of my Life Drawing stuff instead of just comment on other people's stuff.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    df5951ae.jpg
    Here's one of the 5-minute gestures from last week. All my other stuff is in my sketch books at home.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I certainly developed a lot of sloppy habits by working digitally that don't translate well to physical painting that it would be nice to break.

And if you can work through that, you'll be better the 95% of artists who just learned or work digital. I wish more people would realize this. Good traditional work will make your digital stuff that much stronger. That said, Gouache can be a fun sketch medium(its not that great for finished work in the sense that its not very lightfast, and the colors tend to be way less brilliant) and you can actually do some neat wet into wet stuff once you get a handle on it. So long as theres a dampness, or even wet area you can get some nice natural transition effects. You can also mess with transparency/opacity a little bit, far more limited than oil however.

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited April 2011
    No one posted in the doodle thread for....a whole day? Almost two!?

WHAT THE HELL.

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • Options
    SuzySuzy Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Urantia wrote: »
    No one posted in the doodle thread for....a whole day? Almost two!?

WHAT THE HELL.

UNACCEPTABLE. D:

Sketch testing out mixing pen and pencil (I normally stick to pencil for realism & pen for abstract doodles).

starspx.jpg

One of my housemates who has a fondness for posing.

joshya.jpg

he's a bit of a hipster, in case you didn't notice...

Suzy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ihavenotimedonecopy.jpg

blah, can't seem to get any depth in my wimmins faces, every time I try to make them look interesting rather than bland they end up looking like men.

Esiotrot on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Today's NTO "update".

Snowman.jpg

I imagine you pronounce it as you would "Goldman" ... or "Spiderman."

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Hey squid.

I think you need one of these: :^:

Iruka on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This was my warm-up today.

batmanhj.jpg

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey squid.

I think you need one of these: :^:

seconded

Esiotrot on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    71f9124b5e110060feb4d8772866efe3-d3cz83h.jpg

Been too long since I've drawn something. A warm up painting involving a character that I made using different shapes. Trying to break up my two or three face/body type style.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    babyblue.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edit: moar snowman in the wild west pls squidbunny

These are definitely doodles (and not beautiful works of art like some people in this thread):

doodleapril1.jpg

I drew some heads. Facial expressions are hard. I know how to draw >:| though.

I also did this, but too small:

doodleaprilhead.jpg

So I made it bigger, but I think it lost its character:

doodleapril1-2_0001.jpg

That guy on the bottom looks kind of cool but I still draw too stiffly. Also I just noticed that his right arm is broken as hell.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.