As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Archive - Still open for business!

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SSLPs are classics! You wouldn't have your damned vidja movie LPs if it weren't for the humble SS LP! Don't make me shake my cane at you!

SkutSkut on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Let's Play Rent can eat joshofalltrades' shit

Update the OP Henroid

EDIT: It's a SSLP

joshofalltrades on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, you can read most SS LPs in the time it takes to WATCH a part of an average VLP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Also, you can read most SS LPs in the time it takes to WATCH a part of an average VLP.

hahahahaha what? no

Rent on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

hahahahaha what? no

Well, I can. I speed-read.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rent reads at 2 GWAM

joshofalltrades on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dammit. On impulse I tested if any of my ps2 games could run in 480p. Games I thought could turned out to not have it, games that have it in ntsc don't have it for the pal version.

Cos I'm using a component to hdmi converter box from the hd-pvr to connect to my monitor, and because my monitor can't actually display lower than 480p ("Out of range"), I think that means I can't lets play the ps2 games I wanted to.

However there is a ray of hope. My tv has two sets of composite jacks. Output and input. I'm not the least bit knowledgeable about TV's, but if I'm right I should be able to output from the TV to the HDPVR? This tv is so old the manual probably disintegrated by now.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited March 2011
    I'm actually...this is hard for me to say...I'm... *big breath*

I'm...illiterate. I am SO ASHAMED. i______________i

Please don't judge me!

Rent on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to go ahead and say we don't need any rules on this forum since it's pretty obvious the quality is all over the place. Not to mention some folks don't care for them even if it affects the LP (re: Helloween).

Shady3011 on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, the only crucial rule is DBAD.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    That works too. Still, would be more work than you think. Especially if you watch the whole thing.

Yeah. My Witcher LP comes in at just over 32 hours. :shock:

Also, I'm starting a playthrough of the original System Shock. I'm currently doing it as a YouTube thing with an option to download the source files if people want better quality.

My general philosophy is to only do a forum thread if the game has lots of plot altering decisions for the audience to make, so I'm not doing one for System Shock.

Blain on
    edited March 2011
    the only way to improve quality standards on this forum is to have enforced quality standards

because as it stand the quality standards of PA LPs are generally poor to awful

Rent on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, good luck with that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, none of us are mods, but even if we (read: Rent) wanted to, it'd wouldn't be right. You can't enforce quality, you can only encourage it. Hence constructive criticism. And we've been over the "how serious do we take LPs here?" argument a thousand times already. The answer is we don't take it serious enough to a point where I'm refusing to list things of 'poor' quality. If someone in the community did it, I'm listing it.

Also just as a reminder, the thread title is more or less referring to my rule about first-time submitters for LPs - you have to have one completed before I list it at all, and that gets your foot in the door for future LPs you do to be listed while in-progress or even hiatus (code yellow).

Edit - And I'm sleepy which means I'm bad with acronyms; what's DBAD, Scanlines?

Henroid on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't be a dick

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dunno, I think it's okay to have more lax rules. I agree the quality here is kinda low, but we'll never be SA because we'll never have a LP subforum or anyone to enforce any rules. Which is fine because if we were to try so hard to be SA then you may as well just.. go to SA. Not everyone is comfortable there. Not everyone wants to pay to join a forum.

That said, I think this thread is necessary because we don't want people to just think they can just dump camcorder Youtube LPs here, either.

Adus on
    edited March 2011
    Well, there's lax and then just outright ignoring them though SA isn't free of that either.

Shady3011 on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    I'm going to go ahead and say we don't need any rules on this forum since it's pretty obvious the quality is all over the place. Not to mention some folks don't care for them even if it affects the LP (re: Helloween).

Wait what? What did I dooooooo :(

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
    edited March 2011
    Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of your MO. Then again, your MO isn't my style.

Shady3011 on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of your MO. Then again, your MO isn't my style.

Oh ok. Fair enough.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
    edited March 2011
    the only reason people rave about SA's quality is because of the LP Archive which is where only good ones go to.

A whole subforum for LPs would mean cutting lots of chaff from the wheat, as SA does with the Archive.

SkutSkut on
    edited March 2011
    I'd argue about the quality of the archive. There is some good stuff there, but some stuff is either not good or downright unwatchable.

Shady3011 on
    edited March 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    the only reason people rave about SA's quality is because of the LP Archive which is where only good ones go to.

A whole subforum for LPs would mean cutting lots of chaff from the wheat, as SA does with the Archive.

as a goon i can say with utmost confidence that you have literally no idea what you are talking about

oh also the only prerequisite for getting archived in the SA archive is having a completed SA LP

Rent on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah the archive isn't a quality filter. There are plenty of bad things on there, and plenty of good things that aren't.

Adus on
    edited March 2011
    A thousand pardons then.

SkutSkut on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quality schmality. Don't get all l337 on this community please.
    If people think it's low quality they wont watch it. If you are worried about people not watching yours because of perceived low quality issues as a result of other peoples Let's Plays, you have some problems with caring way too much that need to be addressed before you start recommending draconian measures for other people.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think that to post an LP here, you should have to get approved by me. Because if I don't give it, it's probably awful anyway and no one else should have to see it.

You see the sacrifices I'm willing to make for you guys?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Haven't updated in a while, so:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cj_iwakura

Semi-related to the MKR Let's Play, I'm getting back to the point for the next update.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Referring to quality-care as "l337" is semi-aggravating. Try to avoid it. There's nothing wrong with saying people should strive for quality in some way or another. Yes, people (Rent / Pancake) can get carried away with the demands on quality, but it's still a valid concern.
    If people think it's low quality they wont watch it. If you are worried about people not watching yours because of perceived low quality issues as a result of other peoples Let's Plays, you have some problems with caring way too much that need to be addressed before you start recommending draconian measures for other people.
    Or, if your works are perceived as low-quality compared to others, you step-up your game and get better at things. Take examples from other people on what to do and not do. Saying "stop caring haha" is not constructive criticism. Oiy vey.

Okay, all that stuff aside, no April Fool's prank on the thread this year because fighting with the forum to bring up pages would make it a pain in the ass to make happen. Not that many people noticed my prank last year. :P And because someone is bound to ask, the forum problems are apparently because one of the servers went down so its put a strain on the whole thing (on that note, check Tube's Circus for updates on any forum issues / updates).

Henroid on
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Referring to quality-care as "l337" is semi-aggravating. Try to avoid it. There's nothing wrong with saying people should strive for quality in some way or another. Yes, people (Rent / Pancake) can get carried away with the demands on quality, but it's still a valid concern.

Rents "Enforced quality standards" is the context of that comment, not quality care in general. It's completely valid to say "Enforced quality standards" is l337 kiddy elitist because, well, it is. Maybe I could modify it to l337 br0 in Rents case. I deliberately used it in order to mock the idea.
    Henroid wrote: »
    Or, if your works are perceived as low-quality compared to others, you step-up your game and get better at things. Take examples from other people on what to do and not do. Saying "stop caring haha" is not constructive criticism. Oiy vey.

I think you misunderstood what I said there. It's completely my fault since I didn't actually quote the right post and as such my wording probably appears vague. I shall try to be as clear as possible. Firstly, it is directed at Rents remark about enforcing quality standards and not meant to be taken as a general comment.

So you see the reason I think you misunderstood is that your response would make perfect sense if I had said "If you care about low quality in your own work" for example. (emphasis added for clarity).
    In this case the line is directed at people who look to other peoples works, see them as low quality, then start worrying that it might impact upon the reputation of their own works. So they request "enforced quality standards" for other people. I can't think of any other motivation for requesting enforced standards. That is when I think people are taking quality care to unhealthy extremes.

Now, I care about quality, because I wish to present something decent. I am perfectly fine with having resources available for people to learn from should they also wish to present quality. I am fine with recommending and encouraging quality in an assertive and constructive manner. I do not consider that to be "caring too hard" because it is not being taken to extremes.
    If someone does not care enough to do it at a high standard and they don't listen to well meaning advice presented in a non confrontational manner, then don't watch it. Just ignore it. This is a constructive way to deal with the problem and I think it is perfectly fine to recommend it. It will go away by itself (since less people will watch it). Aggressively trying to lay out rules that all people must follow is a destructive way to deal with the problem. It causes resentment, drama and unnecessary confrontations.
    Unlike SA, this forum is small and more like a grouping of people you know. It is not so much a public sounding board as it is a "hey guys lemme show you my pokemans". While ideally you would want to encourage people to show their pokemons in as high a quality as possible, if they do not wish to do this it is completely inappropriate to enforce it on Penny arcade.

I hope that is more clear.

Morninglord on
    edited April 2011
    Aw shucks Morninglord, let's romp around in the flower fields together. <3

In LP related stuffs, Retsupurae has a new video up that will probably continue with further installments. Apparently some dude made a "Kaizo" mod for Mario 64, which looks like total shit and isn't thought-through well enough (surprise) and he's LP'ing it to show it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5NzzCrqdX4

Henroid on
    edited April 2011
    Okay you know what? I'm pretty tired of being labelled the persona non grata in this thread for saying things people don't want to hear.

Because this is what's happening; I'm not saying things that aren't true. Don't believe me? Nearly every fan of lps (not LPers, our potential audience) tells me straight up they don't watch PA lps. Just don't watch them; that is fact. The closest I have seen to a deviation (again this is fans not LPers) has been "I watch Helloween/Klyka LPs, but not PA LPs"

you know why? I ask them why, obviously this is relevant to my interests. The explanations are one of two (or both):

"SA LPs are better" OR

"PA LPs suck"

now, this isn't me talking, this is our potential audience. These are the people we're trying to cater to. They say flat out, "There's no reason to watch PA LPs when the lp archive exists"

I mean I had a close friend who is a huge fan of LPs tell me straight out he wasn't watching either of my LPs (he said he was gonna "get to them") because he had to watch a Chip and Ironicus LP from the LPA first. And honestly? Couldn't blame him. They're better LPs than mine.

This is the perception of what PA LPs are. This is what our audience by and large thinks of PA LPs. So if you honestly think that poor lps have no net negative effect on the perception of your lp, you are quite sadly FAR mistaken

And I'm not gonna name names here, but the majority of LPers in this thread know this to be true. They KNOW this is the case; i hear from other people who lp on this board that they don't watch PA LPs besides the ones they themselves made. We KNOW we're, as a group, putting out an inferior product and we're at best okay with that fact

So I'm really sick of being treated like I'm some sort of delusional angry SUPER INTERNET SERIOUS dick when it really comes down to me saying the things people don't want to hear

I understand and accept we can't change the rules. I've come to terms with that and I've made my peace. But we, as a community, need to open our eyes and realize that as a forum that does LPs, our quality is poor. Our perception of our quality is poor. And a lot of that is because we have no quality enforcement, and we have no punishment be it societal or actual to create a better product.

These are the facts. This is how we are viewed by our viewers and even our colleagues. So we need to understand and rise above that fact and improve our average quality of LPs (by improving our individual quality of our LPs) if we want any sort of recognition or interest from the viewing public

I can understand calling me a dick, because I'm a dick. I understand calling me super internet serious about video games, because I probably am. But what I can't fucking abide is discounting what I say because it jives with the delusion you've surrounded yourself with vis a vis our perception from the audience. Because that's fucking intolerable to me; ignoring the facts because you dislike what it implies.

Rent on
    edited April 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    I think that to post an LP here, you should have to get approved by me. Because if I don't give it, it's probably awful anyway and no one else should have to see it.

You see the sacrifices I'm willing to make for you guys?

i would like to lp the animes

all the animes

could i do that pancake y/n

Rent on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PA LP's are meant for people here. I read almost all the screenshot LPs and have watched quite a few video ones. We do a pretty good job here, but we don't have the resources of the SA crew, and that's ok. We don't have a subforum, we don't have people calling specific LPs, these works are meant for our entertainment.

I've got one of the older LPs on here. I did an ok job, comparable to most short format screenshot LPs I've seen. I could have done better, sure, but I never meant it to get a large outside audience. It was made by a G&Ter, for G&T.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited April 2011
    I don't think a smaller audience allows for a decrease in quality

if anything I would argue that the opposite should be the case

Rent on
    edited April 2011
    Hey Rent

Sorry I suck so bad

joshofalltrades on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One of these days I'm going to recruit three intrepid soldiers and LP Dokapon Kingdom, which will be the most infamous video LP of all time.
    When it ends in a triple homicide/suicide because it is Dokapon Kingdom.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How about you just be an intrepid soldier and do that FFVI LP already.

I am trying to watch this recently archived one on the LP Archive and it is killing me.

Schide on
    edited April 2011
    Playing video games for the internet is some srsbsns.

And I know my LPs suck, almost shocked anyone at all watched/read them.

SkutSkut on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maybe you guys should put some effort into making a good LP some day.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg