As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vidya Games with Multi-player vs Other Player

Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I know I've read about some games like this, but I can't think of a single one. I'm looking for a game whose multiplayer pits a group of players against another player in a different role. Either the team of players wins or the lone player wins.

Similar to the GC version of Pac Man World 2 where you could be a ghost if you hooked up your GBA and someone got to be Pac Mac. Ideally you can suggest a game where this was more the main design, not some esoteric version that only three people played twice each.

Skoal Cat on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is a common game mode in a lot of shooters. Typically, it's called "Lone Wolf" or "Hunters versus the Hunted" or "The Most Dangerous Game" or something similar. One notable example is in 007: Quantum of Solace, where one person is James Bond, and everyone one else is out to kill him. If he wins, he stays as Bond. If he loses, the killing player gets to be Bond. Another similar game mode in the same game is Man with the Golden Gun, where everyone is out to kill the Golden Gun wielder to get the Golden Gun.

The most Aliens vs. Predator game had a game mode where there's one alien and multiple marines. As the Alien kills marines, the killed players become Aliens, until there are no marines left.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know Perfect Dark had a mode where one person would play the protagonist, and the other (up to 3 players) played the enemies, and either team would try to kill the others. I haven't tried it myself.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm looking for examples to study the game play style and I'd like something less FPS and more puzzle/action oriented. You know, if possible and al.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about Giants: Citizen Kabuto?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants:_Citizen_Kabuto

One person plays a gigantic Godzilla-like monster. Up to three other people play the Sea Reapers (magic race), and five other people play the Meccaryns (technology race). It's probably one of the strangest asymmetric multiplayer games out there. I enjoyed it when it came out a decade ago.

Oh, Metal Gear Solid Online had a mode where two people play Solid Snake and the tiny Metal Gear, and the rest were divided among two teams who were pitted against each other. The Solid Snake player had a different win condition than the other two teams.

I'll try to think of others.

EDIT: Many of the mini-games in the various Mario Party games pit one person against the three other contestants, with the win condition of the team being different than the win condition of the one.

For games in which this is the original design, I'd go back to the original Ogre board game by Steve Jackson. It was first published in 1977. It's not a video game (although video games have been made of it), but the asymmetric balance (1 honkin' huge tank versus a team of smaller vehicles) is the central feature of the gameplay.

This might be easier if you stated the reasons behind the questions that you are asking. Is it the game design in general, or simply historical examples? Is this for a project or just curiosity? Are you looking for one game in particular? Is this just to win an argument? Etc. More background would be nice.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about other forms of gaming? 1 vs 100 (the TV game show) is kinda sorta exactly what you're looking at, and it seems to have adapted well to vidya gaming when they did livecasts of it on XBL.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zombie Master is a half life 2 mod (free) which pits multiple human players against one Zombie master who creates and controls lots of different types of zombies. The humans play from a normal half life view while the zombie master has an overhead RTS view. Each map has a different theme and objectives, from holding out to building a truck to running through a resident evil inspired lab. It's not really set up to be competitive but does provide a nice 1 v many setup.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    The Hidden

A Source mod with one team of SWAT dudes with guns... and the last player is The Hidden, a stealthed melee bastard that has seen Predator a few times too many.

Great fun. Especially when you're The Hidden, kill someone and then drag their corpse off and hang it from the ceiling where the survivors will spot it.

Echo on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This sounds pretty close to Juggernaut in Halo - the Juggernaut gets some kind of special ability that makes them harder to kill, and the other players try to team up and kill the Juggernaut. Whoever accumulates x amount of time as the Juggernaut wins.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    This might be easier if you stated the reasons behind the questions that you are asking. Is it the game design in general, or simply historical examples? Is this for a project or just curiosity? Are you looking for one game in particular? Is this just to win an argument? Etc. More background would be nice.

I'm helping design an interactive experience and while I believe in my concept, it does fall to me to convince some nay sayers that team vs individual can be balanced and enjoyable for all parties. I'm going to look at all of the games listed so far (and maybe more, wheeee!) for some straight up compare and contrast for game play and balance.

Skoal Cat on