As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game industry thread: no, Shiggy's still not dead. Damn April Fool's.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/georgeb3dr
    To be more clear, the layoffs may be SOE wide and not just limited to Seattle. So, Austin, San Diego, etc... about 2 hours ago via Nambu

Word that Sony Online Entertainment Seattle is having layoffs and that studio closure is possible. http://bit.ly/eSxtvq about 2 hours ago via Nambu

Hm. How has DC Online been doing? I've been thinking the performance of that might affect whatever happens with The Agency...

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/psx4droid/news.asp?c=28789
    ZodTTD’s PlayStation emulator was unceremoniously yanked from the Android Market by Google today in a move the developer suspects is partly down to the launch of Sony Ericsson's Xperia Play 'PlayStation Phone'.

PSX4Droid had been available on the Market for almost half a year before it was removed due to, "content violation."

ZodTTD reveals on Twitter that he has been, "working like mad on a psx4droid update," and that Google’s action effectively spells the end of the program for existing customers of the emulator.

ZodTTD believes the takedown was influenced by Sony. "Sony's Xperia Play must be coming soon," he writes.

Despite this sudden takedown, rival emulator fpse remains up and running on the Android Market.

If Sony has indeed leaned on Google, then it’s possible this app will also disappear in the coming days.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    A Statement From G4TV (self.gaming)

submitted 3 hours ago by joe_from_g4

Today we logged on to Reddit and saw the story about G4TV, GamePro and VGChartz from Deimorz at the top of the Gaming sub-reddit. Obviously, this was troubling to us, so we decided to explain our involvement in what happened.

Awhile back we discovered a poweruser on Digg submitting and digging our content, which we thought was great. So we started a relationship with him where he'd submit a story here and there and we'd send him random games (usually duplicate review copies). This relationship continued on Reddit as it grew in popularity. This was good for us, as we all liked Reddit, but didn't feel like our content had much exposure on the site. After some time we began to pay him a small amount of money instead of games.

However, we didn’t know the full extent of how he was achieving success on Reddit. We had no idea that he had 20 accounts under his control. We also didn’t know that he was using the other accounts to comment on his own submissions. That’s on us 100%, we should have paid more attention to his methods.

Now, even with this going on, if you check our domain, in the last 14 days, there were only 8 submissions to the Gaming sub-Reddit (although some look they may have been deleted by the mods). It’s probably more than what would have happened organically, but it’s not exactly heavy spam.

In the end, what we want is for Reddit users to be aware of G4tv.com’s content, and know that G4tv.com is a good gaming website with quality reviews, interesting features, and intelligent writers. It’s why you may have seen us using Reddit’s self-service ad system a few times, including today. We have already told this user to never submit G4 content again, and promise that this won’t happen in the future.

TL;DR – We’re owning up, we were wrong to do this, and we hope you forgive us.
    Gaming journalism.

Yes.

But.

Considering most companies will just say "we are taking this complaint seriously" and pass the blame onto someone else, I give huge credit for G4 coming right out there and saying "we done fucked up."

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The thing is, G4's defence comes down to "uh, we payed him to make our stories hit the front page of reddit, but we don't know how". It's very easy to work out how one person could be doing that, so to say "we weren't aware how he did it!" is pretty daft.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    I hate it when a small dev makes a hit and suddenly they think their method works for everyone.

Rovio is turning this into an art form.

I wondering what Rovio has up its sleeve next.

They can talk shit once they release something that doesn't begin with "Angry Birds" and it becomes a hit.

Unitl then they're a one-hit wonder as far as I'm concerned.
    Oh my goodness. This. So this.

Angry Birds, Seasons, Rio, it's all the same shit. Someone with talent needs to tell these guys that Angry Birds isn't that great, or innovative, or anything. They got lucky by taking advantage of a large population of people who don't play games or know what they can actually do.

In the mean time don't call some of the greatest games ever created "pieces of plastic" while you milk the crap out of a game that could be done in flash and wouldn't have gotten a second glance a few years ago.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think Rovio, much like a lot of the blogging press, actually read the entirety of Iwata's speach, else he'd have noticed his game was specifically praised!

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't even know what angry birds is and I doubt I am missing out

Jars on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    I don't even know what angry birds is and I doubt I am missing out

You fling brids from a sligshot at buildings made from blocks which have green pigs in them. Sometimes the birds are explosive.

It isn't much more complex than a single warioware microgame.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    Dritz wrote: »
    Kinda weird that it's Rovio calling Nintendo out. I think both Reggie and Iwata have praised Angry Birds in the past, Iwata in the very presentation everyone is so up in arms about. I'm chalking the whole thing up to Nintendo being kind of in denial about cheap games and being shitty in communicating what they actually want to say rather than being completely out of touch with what cheap games means.

It's basically MS's policy with XBLive. They don't want a flood of crap. Angry Birds came out in 2009. The fact that nothing has replaced it since speaks volumes about that market. It's one thing for a game to have legs. It's another when no other games even get talked about.

Wait, nothing has come out since? Tiny Wings, Cut the Rope, and Fruit Ninja are all examples of mega-hits on the iPhone that came out after Angry Birds just to name a few.

Dungeon Raid!

That game is a dollar

It is easily the best value in gaming

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »
    I hate it when a small dev makes a hit and suddenly they think their method works for everyone.

Rovio is turning this into an art form.

I wondering what Rovio has up its sleeve next.

They can talk shit once they release something that doesn't begin with "Angry Birds" and it becomes a hit.

Unitl then they're a one-hit wonder as far as I'm concerned.
    Oh my goodness. This. So this.

Angry Birds, Seasons, Rio, it's all the same shit. Someone with talent needs to tell these guys that Angry Birds isn't that great, or innovative, or anything. They got lucky by taking advantage of a large population of people who don't play games or know what they can actually do.

In the mean time don't call some of the greatest games ever created "pieces of plastic" while you milk the crap out of a game that could be done in flash and wouldn't have gotten a second glance a few years ago.

As far as I'm aware, the game was done in Flash and didn't get a second glance a few years ago. The Angry Birds iteration of the concept was just lucky enough to be noticed by enough people to snowball.

jothki on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crush the Castle was very much like the pre-Angry Birds on Flash

Except the controls are much, much better in Angry Birds

Also the art design isn't charming at all

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Desktop Tower Defense is probably the greatest flash game ever made.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    The thing is, G4's defence comes down to "uh, we payed him to make our stories hit the front page of reddit, but we don't know how". It's very easy to work out how one person could be doing that, so to say "we weren't aware how he did it!" is pretty daft.

Sockpuppetry: Thank god for Shari Lewis!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here's today's latest legal batfuckery: http://ca.kotaku.com/5787413/this-is-going-to-be-epic-too-human-creators-gear-up-for-legal-war-with-shooter-giant

Basically, you remember that lawsuit the Too Human developers made against Epic a while back, basically saying the reason Too Human sucked is because Epic didn't give them the support they needed?

Well, apparently NOW they're alleging that Epic withheld support, in addition to the latest engine updates, from it's licensees in order to improve Gears of War's success and fund it's development. Because of this THEY WANT A CUT OF GEARS' PROFITS!!

Is it just me, or is that batfuck insane? I mean, they may be due compensation, but to directly attach it to profits from a game seems to be a jump in logic.

Now, granted this was a Kotaku article, so it may just be them being retarded.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, uh, where's the new in "news" from that? Because I may just be tired, but that all seems to be the same stuff they were saying back in 2007

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is it just me, or is that batfuck insane? I mean, they may be due compensation, but to directly attach it to profits from a game seems to be a jump in logic.
    It might not be. If they paid fees in exchange for a service, they did not receive that service, and they can demonstrate that the fees paid were redirected from fulfilling contractual obligations to investing in a specific product, then there's an argument that it was their money that was invested in the product. If they had money invested in the product, then they're due a share of profits. That's a lot of ifs, but they can justify that conclusion.

Seol on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So what has been the latest development with the Activision/Modern Warfare lawsuits?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So what has been the latest development with the Activision/Modern Warfare lawsuits?

Activision got approval to add EA to the suit a couple weeks ago; haven't seen anything since then.

Darian on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wasn't one of the founders of Reddit a G4 host a long time ago?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Megaman Universe canned, can Megaman Legends 3 be far behind.
    Capcom has posted an apology and notice of cancelation on the official Japanese website for Mega Man Universe, an odd DIY Mega Man game that was scheduled to launch on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network later this year. The retro-styled platformer was a cheeky amalgam of remade Mega Man 2 levels, customizable characters (including the crooked caricature from the North American Mega Man 1 box art) and user-created levels.

According to Capcom's notice, the decision to extinguish Mega Man Universe was given impetus by "various circumstances." Those may involve the departure of Mega Man creator and Universe conceptual lead Keiji Inafune, who left Capcom in October 2010.

Cade on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What the hell is up with Microsoft and their DLC delays recently? Everything keeps getting pushed back, the companies always blame Microsoft. Is it a technical thing or are they bullying for maximum profit cuts or what?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    What the hell is up with Microsoft and their DLC delays recently? Everything keeps getting pushed back, the companies always blame Microsoft. Is it a technical thing or are they bullying for maximum profit cuts or what?

I'm too busy playing Fable 3 on the pc to even notice the DLC delays!

...oh wait.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

...oh wait.

I'm sort of angry that I'm required to purchase fake monies to buy things from more and more publishers. MS started and now Bioware is in on it too.

Movitz on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Movitz wrote: »

...oh wait.

I'm sort of angry that I'm required to purchase fake monies to buy things from more and more publishers. MS started and now Bioware is in on it too.

I was angry about this too, but so long as I can buy reasonably small amounts of monies so I have no leftover points after buying any but the most trivial DLC, I think I can live with it.

Orca on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Orca wrote: »

...oh wait.

I was angry about this too, but so long as I can buy reasonably small amounts of monies so I have no leftover points after buying any but the most trivial DLC, I think I can live with it.

I've certainly never managed to do that. How are you accomplishing it?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

...oh wait.

I don't know about the BioWare points but the MS points has absolutely no downside to the consumer and plenty of upside. For example : Points Cards sales. They're literally selling you money for less.

A savvy gamer can absolutely abuse the system and get every single piece of content they purchase for a stock discount every time.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Orca wrote: »

...oh wait.

I've certainly never managed to do that. How are you accomplishing it?

Bioware funbux can be bought in $5, $7, and $10 denominations. Conveniently, the substantial DLC they've sold has been $7, $10, and $15. There's also the horse armor $2 ones, but whatever.

I don't know about other systems since I haven't had to touch them--yet.

My biggest complaint is that it's tying everything down to their servers, and will they still be running 5 years from now? But that's a problem with most games these days.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43768/European-console-installed-base-revealed
    114m current-gen machines on the market, says data from GameStop and IDG

A clear picture of the total number of consoles sold in Europe has emerged today.

According to IDG data released by GameStop, the active European games console market in total is around 153m units.

114m of that are current gen machines, which breaks down like this:

- 14.7 million Sony PlayStation 3 units
    - 24.9 million Nintendo Wii units
    - 13.7 million Microsoft Xbox 360 units
    - 14.8 million Sony PSP units
    - 46 million Nintendo DS units

The numbers are actually as of December 2010, so you can assume they have risen a touch since.

But it is otherwise interesting reading. It's often difficult to pin down concurrent market sizes due to the format holders' differing timings on financial announcements, and the vagaries of shipped vs sold stats made public.
    Nintendo DS is god.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've always thought it disingenuous to lump the DS or any handheld in with the home consoles. They are entirely different products aimed at entirely different markets, with different price ranges and usability.

It's not apples to apples.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just bought a new DS lite.

This was after buying a DS lite orignally when they came out and then trading it in for an XL and then trading it in for a 3DS but then using that money to rebuy a DS lite.

So yeah I am why the DS keeps selling.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-29-hogrockets-ben-ward-on-bizarre-closure
    US publishing giant Activision angered many gamers when it closed one of the UK's most respected developers: Bizarre Creations.

...Speaking to Eurogamer, Ward admitted he, and others at the now closed developer, struggled to work under the ownership of publishing behemoth Activision.

"It's not enough to point the finger at one little factor and say, 'that's it" he said, pondering an explanation for Bizarre's closure.

"Creatively you could say that the studio was too ambitious, with one team tackling multi-platform development for the first time as well as building a brand new racing IP, and the other team creating an action/adventure game for one of the most iconic characters in history. However, both games were generally rated well critically so I don't think that argument holds too much water.

"Some of us (myself included) found it difficult working under a huge publisher; moving from proudly independent to an internal team took a lot of getting used to. We lost that ability to say what we want, do what we want, and (most importantly) make what we want.

"I don't blame Activision for that - it's just the way things work when you become internalised. It certainly affected the atmosphere at the studio; for better or worse Bizarre became more 'corporate'."

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I've always thought it disingenuous to lump the DS or any handheld in with the home consoles. They are entirely different products aimed at entirely different markets, with different price ranges and usability.

It's not apples to apples.

Just compare it to the PSP then.

Couscous on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd blame Activision for the way they shafted Blur with the advertising.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd blame Activision for the way they shafted Blur with the advertising.

I wonder what the reaction to the game might have been if they didn't try to lump it in/make fun of Mario Kart, when they did that the reaction was pretty fierce, not just from the Nintendo fans either. Mario Kart appeared to have a lot of fans no matter what main system they had. It had that kind of appeal that if you bashed it then people were not going to take it well and not only the ones that you thought would be angry.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mortal Kombat isn't being released in Germany because the USK denied a rating. It feels like the 1990s all over again.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In a perfect world, the remnants of Free Radical would team up with the remnants of Bizarre Creations and form a super group and make Metropolis Time Racers where you play as a Monkey earning kudos on the streets of London or New York City by racing against the astonishing TimeSplitters menagerie of characters in a series of supercar challenges.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    The thread title, it drew me in. Just last night I was trying to figure out how Angry Birds got to be so popular, I have it on my phone but I rarely play it. Maybe it just isn't for me but I just don't see how it is so popular. I can see that it is obviously very well down, the gameplay is ok and the sound and art direction is...well appealing I guess. Not sure for the word but it has charm. Gameplay wise though it is a pretty substandard puzzle game that relies a lot on luck for success.

Anyways I came to the conclusion that it must have been one of the first well made games for the iphone and word spread from there, it was a high quality game and one of the few. Is that correct?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In a perfect world, the remnants of Free Radical would team up with the remnants of Bizarre Creations and form a super group and make Metropolis Time Racers where you play as a Monkey earning kudos on the streets of London or New York City by racing against the astonishing TimeSplitters menagerie of characters in a series of supercar challenges.

With power-ups.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2011

With power-ups.

In a perfect world someone, somewhere would fucking get the rights to Timesplitters, release TS2 on XBLA with online multiplayer, then bank that cash to fund TimeSplitters 4.

I'm being absolutely, 100% serious when I say that TimeSplitters 2 would be in my top 3 video games of all time. And I'm the kind of person that has worked on a list like that for years.

Nobody fucking bought it though, which is insane because... well it's fucking insane.

Edit: This is my new favourite thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipj-6aOSds0

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought TS2 sold pretty well.

LewieP on