As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2. The biggest disapointment since "Paul"

Darth StrifeDarth Strife Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
I feel like all the things I've looked forward to this year are failing me. First Paul from the two guys who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and now Dragon Age 2.

What's next, is Skyrim and Star Wars: The Old Republic going to suck too?! I just don't think I could take that.

Is it just me? What have you all been looking forward to this year? Has it lived up to your expectations or did it fall flat?

I really hope it's just me.

banner-1.jpg
Darth Strife on

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I feel like all the things I've looked forward to this year are failing me. First Paul from the two guys who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and now Dragon Age 2.

What's next, is Skyrim and Star Wars: The Old Republic going to suck too?! I just don't think I could take that.

Is it just me? What have you all been looking forward to this year? Has it lived up to your expectations or did it fall flat?

I really hope it's just me.

Of course SWTOR is going to suck. It is an MMO.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is certainly going to be a healthy thread given how it started off.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed DA2.

SO THERE.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This probably didn't require it's own thread. As to the complaint, Skyrim is still too early to say anything definite, and SW:TOR could go ethier way depending on your tastes, same as DA2. DA2 is liked by some and hated by others, like pretty much every other game in existence.

Also, when I read Paul I thought Paul from the Bible for some reason.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Darth StrifeDarth Strife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am prepare to admit that Star Wars The Old Republic may in fact end up failing, though it would be a shame. MMO's do tend to suck the big one but 20 years of dream about a game like this to come out...I have to hold out hope that it will be at least better than Star Wars Galaxies.

That being said, if Skyrim is anything less that brilliant than I don't know if I will ever be able to hope again.

Darth Strife on
    banner-1.jpg
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Ah, good, I wasn't the only one.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2 more things:

1. Guild Wars 2 (click my sig link), will be the alternative to SW:TOR that probably won't fail because of the direction they are taking with the game (and the fact they aren't spending huge $$$) and you should definitely check it out.
    2. Ask yourself, did Morrowind or the other Elder Scrolls games let you down? Have hope and faith in it and in games and you'll be fine. And maybe lower your expectations a smidge.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elitistb wrote: »
    In fairness, that Paul was something of a disappointment as well.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragon Age 2 isn't really that disappointing to me. It needed another six months of interface development and bug testing, to be sure, but it's pretty much fine otherwise, if you ask me (or if you post on an internet forum). It was certainly a unique departure from your standard fantasy RPG and a credible middle installment of a series. Why is this in a new thread?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Elitistb wrote: »
    In fairness, that Paul was something of a disappointment as well.

Hence my thought process.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This thread is the worse disappointment since William Harrison.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    First Paul from the two guys who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and now Dragon Age 2.

Uh, the two guys who "did" Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, not Simon Pegg abd Nick Frost. Edgar Wright is the gold there. If he's not involved, quality will always be a toss up.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    am I the only one thrown off by the thread title given that, I'm pretty sure, Paul came out after DA2? Nitpicking? OK, fine.

Bobble on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The older you get, the more disappointing everything becomes.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    Nitpicking? OK, fine.

That's the point of the whole thread!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    First Paul from the two guys who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and now Dragon Age 2.

Uh, the two guys who "did" Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, not Simon Pegg abd Nick Frost. Edgar Wright is the gold there. If he's not involved, quality will always be a toss up.
    Nick Frost did pretty well with Hyperdrive.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    am I the only one thrown off by the thread title given that, I'm pretty sure, Paul came out after DA2? Nitpicking? OK, fine.

Pretty sure it didnt.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Nick Frost did pretty well with Hyperdrive.

I was always going to be disappointed with Hyperdrive, someone told me it was the new Red Dwarf so I had a massively high benchmark in my head.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    major_tom wrote: »

Pretty sure it didnt.

Oh, hey, I have access to the internet, so I stopped being lazy for a minute and fact-checked myself.

DA2 released March 8 (March 11 for the Euros, damned time zones :P)
    Paul came out February 14 in the UK, March 18 in the US.

So yes and no.

Bobble on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The older you get, the more disappointing everything becomes.

I find this very disappointing.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Pretty sure it didnt.

Oh, hey, I have access to the internet, so I stopped being lazy for a minute and fact-checked myself.

So yes and no.

Gosh darn, the one thing we get before you colonials is a mediocre sci-fi buddy road movie. :P

Literally the only thing wrong with DA2 was the horrible and blatant reuse of interiors.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DA:2 is mostly fine. It's just not what it should have been, and the fact they were making it on the cheap for a large cash-in is written all it, I daresay.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Pretty sure it didnt.

So yes and no.

Gosh darn, the one thing we get before you colonials is a mediocre sci-fi buddy road movie. :P

Literally the only thing wrong with DA2 was the horrible and blatant reuse of interiors.

Y'all have castles. It evens out.

Bobble on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That is the worst OP, ever.

The worst.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There was a perfectly good Dragon Age thread, so you decided to make a new one for your trolling rant? Brilliant.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There was a perfectly good Dragon Age thread, so you decided to make a new one for your trolling rant? Brilliant.

And you made it bigger! :rotate:

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So should I start a thread about how I think Dragon Age II is fantastic?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Came in to say I love the title and agree with it wholeheartedly.

Though there already is a thread and I don't think you may have several for one game.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm really digging DA2. I think it is such a radical departure from DA:O that it fixes many of the franchise's flaws while also creating a bunch of new ones. If they can take what worked from DA:O and what worked from DA2, I think we would get an instant classic.

I think many of the game's shortcomings stem from a VERY rushed development schedule. A good sequel can be made in a mere two years... however Dragon Age 2 is practically an entirely new game. They weren't building off of DA:O, they were reinventing it. It was a huge undertaking for such a short time period.

DA3 will be able to build off of DA2 and we'll see a much more refined game.

At the very least DA2 proves that bioware is fully willing to go all out and address people's complaints. DA2 heavily addressed all the major complaints of DA:O (clumsy and slow combat, stale art direction, ect). They attacked the biggest complaints head on. They got balls... and integrity of a sort

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In regards to games of 2011 being disapointments, I can only think that L.A. Noire might be one but only for me. I have this odd idea for what this game is but I am pretty sure its going to be way different then what I am thinking of.

The new Earth Defense Force also might be one too but so far looks like its fitting the bill.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    So should I start a thread about how I think Dragon Age II is fantastic?

You already have one :P
    Wishpig wrote: »
    At the very least DA2 proves that bioware is fully willing to go all out and address people's complaints. DA2 heavily addressed all the major complaints of DA:O (clumsy and slow combat, stale art direction, ect). They attacked the biggest complaints head on. They got balls... and integrity of a sort

Really? I believe one of the major complaints was the never-ending stream of boring trash mobs - and this has only gotten worse in DA2 ("another wave!").

I'm guessing those who really liked DA:O are somewhat disappointed in DA2, as it changes a lot of fundamental stuff (combat, scope of story, etc.) - but those who found DA:O to be too slow will probably enjoy the more action-oriented style of DA2.

Anyway, this topic probably doesn't need an entire thread...

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DAII is the only (New) game I've purchased this year so far, and I was largely satisfied with it.

2011 has also seen fit to gift me with a surprise Radiohead LP, a new Strokes LP, and a new novel from Patrick Rothfuss coupled with confirmation of GRRM's next. A Game of Thrones will also shortly debut on TV, and looks excellent in trailers and previews.

Pretty solid 3-4 months.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Typo in the thread title disappoints me greatly.

son-i-am-disappoint.jpg

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.