As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game industry thread: no, Shiggy's still not dead. Damn April Fool's.

• pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maybe I missed it earlier, so sorry if this is a repeat, but - Xenoblade is making it across the ocean. In fact, it's going across two oceans:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/31/xenoblade-chronicles-making-jump-to-europe-for-wii/
    Nintendo’s seemingly confirmed it’s to localise Xenoblade from Japan and release it in Europe.

Gamekult went live with a story earlier, but Nintendo UK’s posted a trailer on its website. It’s being rebranded as Xenoblade Chronicles.

GK says it’ll feature English and Japanese voice casts with English, French, German, Italian and Spanish subs.

Xenoblade was released in Japan for Wii without the Chronicles subtitle back in June of last year as an RPG from Monolith Soft.

Fiver says The Last Story is next, eh?

Edit: Here's the link to the UK trailer.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    The thread title, it drew me in. Just last night I was trying to figure out how Angry Birds got to be so popular, I have it on my phone but I rarely play it. Maybe it just isn't for me but I just don't see how it is so popular. I can see that it is obviously very well down, the gameplay is ok and the sound and art direction is...well appealing I guess. Not sure for the word but it has charm. Gameplay wise though it is a pretty substandard puzzle game that relies a lot on luck for success.

Anyways I came to the conclusion that it must have been one of the first well made games for the iphone and word spread from there, it was a high quality game and one of the few. Is that correct?

There were good iOS games before Angry Birds, but if I remember right Angry Birds was the first real breakout hit, yeah. And the damn thing STILL refuses to drop out of the top five.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it earlier, so sorry if this is a repeat, but - Xenoblade is making it across the ocean. In fact, it's going across two oceans:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/31/xenoblade-chronicles-making-jump-to-europe-for-wii/
    Nintendo’s seemingly confirmed it’s to localise Xenoblade from Japan and release it in Europe.

Gamekult went live with a story earlier, but Nintendo UK’s posted a trailer on its website. It’s being rebranded as Xenoblade Chronicles.

GK says it’ll feature English and Japanese voice casts with English, French, German, Italian and Spanish subs.

Xenoblade was released in Japan for Wii without the Chronicles subtitle back in June of last year as an RPG from Monolith Soft.

Awesome. Now what about The Last Story?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    pslong9 wrote: »

And what about the US? I'm hoping E3 tells us that both this and Last Story makes it here in the states.

Edit: Also, Sony, when are you finally going to make me a Legend of Dragoon 2. Who cares what the haters say, it was a quality, and awesome RPG.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The thread title, it drew me in. Just last night I was trying to figure out how Angry Birds got to be so popular, I have it on my phone but I rarely play it. Maybe it just isn't for me but I just don't see how it is so popular. I can see that it is obviously very well down, the gameplay is ok and the sound and art direction is...well appealing I guess. Not sure for the word but it has charm. Gameplay wise though it is a pretty substandard puzzle game that relies a lot on luck for success.

Anyways I came to the conclusion that it must have been one of the first well made games for the iphone and word spread from there, it was a high quality game and one of the few. Is that correct?

There were good iOS games before Angry Birds, but if I remember right Angry Birds was the first real breakout hit, yeah. And the damn thing STILL refuses to drop out of the top five.
    I really just don't understand why.

Fizban140 on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

The casual market is a mysterious beast with a taste for simple things that you or I would scoff at.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited March 2011

You need to think more like a casual gamer. Casuals don't need complexity, they don't need wild innovation, they don't need something that's a big test of skill. They just want quick fun. And there's really nothing wrong with that, though Angry Birds seems to have replaced the Wii as the totem focusing the enthusiasts' hate toward those filthy casuals daring to try to enter their hobby.

cloudeagle on
    edited March 2011
    Besides, why play Angry Birds when I have Boom Blox, which is much more fun and less about luck.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011

You need to think more like a casual gamer. Casuals don't need complexity, they don't need wild innovation, they don't need something that's a big test of skill. They just want quick fun. And there's really nothing wrong with that, though Angry Birds seems to have replaced the Wii as the totem focusing the enthusiasts' hate toward those filthy casuals daring to try to enter their hobby.
    I definitely have nothing against that kind of market, but there are tons of free alternatives with similar gameplay and thousands of similar flash games on the internet. But then again I really don't understand why people do the majority of things they do so maybe this is too big of a question, it is what it is.

Fizban140 on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Or the same reason why I bought Angry Birds was because I wanted to know what the hub bub was about. So multiply that by a few and you have a gaggle of sexy men.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm not so hopeful. It sold well for it's first week and dropped like Icarus the week after. The sales weren't all that in Japan, so I'm not sure Nintendo will show us the love.

Maybe Atlus?

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like Angry Birds, but would like a game where you just shoot cannon balls at buildings and have to beat a score threshold to pass the level.

maybe various types of cannon balls, like a splitshot cannon ball, an exploding cannon ball, some other powerups for games of this type.

In other words, someone take the fun part of angry birds and make a game out of that.

SkutSkut on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I mostly just don't understand why a lot of gaming sites think it is innovative. I guess it is mostly because nobody bothers to look up the history of many of these games. For example, Minecraft is heavily based off of Infiniminer.
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Infiniminer

Couscous on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Besides, why play Angry Birds when I have Boom Blox, which is much more fun and less about luck.

Because you can take Angry Birds with you to wherever and use it to kill 5 minutes while you're waiting for whatever. Hard to do that with Boom Blox. Plus, Boom Blox is better with more people, but Angry Birds is designed for single player.

Darian on
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I saw Angry Birds for the first time recently and thought "THIS is what everyone has been talking about? I played this as a free flash game 5 years ago."

exmello on
    edited March 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I like Angry Birds, but would like a game where you just shoot cannon balls at buildings and have to beat a score threshold to pass the level.

maybe various types of cannon balls, like a splitshot cannon ball, an exploding cannon ball, some other powerups for games of this type.

In other words, someone take the fun part of angry birds and make a game out of that.

That's... pretty much Angry Birds?

I won't argue that the game has a luck element to it, but there's a fair amount of skill involved too... you have to examine the structures and try to figure out what points would be vulnerable given the types of birds you're given.

But yeah, part of the reason I keep playing the thing is that I can whip it out while waiting for an appointment or while pooping.

cloudeagle on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Or it's free on Android, which is a price you can't complain about. But yeah, it's quick, very easy to play for a few minutes on your commute to or from work, and does have a nice, satisfying tactile quality when you hit something right and it all comes down. Yes you can play Boom Blox on the Wii or other, maybe better free flash games on the PC, but Angry Birds is a well-designed, polished game that became synonymous with iPhone. That's why it continues to do so well.
    I can whip it out while waiting for an appointment or while pooping.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2011

I won't argue that the game has a luck element to it, but there's a fair amount of skill involved too... you have to examine the structures and try to figure out what points would be vulnerable given the types of birds you're given.

But yeah, part of the reason I keep playing the thing is that I can whip it out while waiting for an appointment or while pooping.

That is what the DS and Professor Layton is for. Then my poop feels classy.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    I thought TS2 sold pretty well.

In my opinion it deserved Halo-esque sales. I mean, people looked at Halo 3s Forge mode and thought it was something incredibly new but Timesplitters 2 had something more robust and with fewer restrictions years before. A generation before.

And one of the multiplayer characters was a charred corpse that was on fire named Crispin. That's gold, Jerry!

The_Scarab on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    exmello wrote: »
    Yeah I saw Angry Birds for the first time recently and thought "THIS is what everyone has been talking about? I played this as a free flash game 5 years ago."
    Exactly. And this is fine, whatever. But when you start attacking some of the greatest games of all time for being "49 dollar pieces of plastic," then it might be time to stfu. It's kind of confusing too because I would have thought that a game developer has played a lot of games, including those pieces of plastic. And therefore fully realize why those games are 49 dollars as opposed to 1 dollar. Those games often take years to create, have huge development teams, and can take hours upon hours to complete. People play Angry Birds while they're taking a dump. He also has to know that his game is not innovative or original, and in fact a stolen idea. I don't know though, maybe this guy really is this dumb.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Exactly. And this is fine, whatever. But when you start attacking some of the greatest games of all time for being "49 dollar pieces of plastic," then it might be time to stfu. It's kind of confusing too because I would have thought that a game developer has played a lot of games, including those pieces of plastic. And therefore fully realize why those games are 49 dollars as opposed to 1 dollar. Those games often take years to create, have huge development teams, and can take hours upon hours to complete. People play Angry Birds while they're taking a dump. He also has to know that his game is not innovative or original, and in fact a stolen idea. I don't know though, maybe this guy really is this dumb.

I'm eagerly awaiting his next title. Which will probably be Angry Birds 2. Or Angry Birds Deluxe. Or Angry Birds: Enhanced Edition.

Cause that's how far his talent goes. Let's be honest here.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I actually really like Angry Birds. I know it makes me a lowly casual gamer, but it's really fun when you don't really want a quick escape. Angry Birds in many ways is like Tetris - it feels neverending, gets harder at a nice curve and gameplay can be summarized in less than a paragraph to new players.

I would totally buy Timesplitters 2 again. Is it backwards compatible with the 360?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It is a dollar and a good time waster. The reality is that there aren't many games on the iPhone that are even worth a dollar. Angry Birds is one of them.

Also, you all sound like old men. Get off my lawn with your Angry Birds! We've had that type of game for years! You stupid kids!

AZChristopher on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's angry birds without the stupid objective of killing gangrenous piggies with strep-throat. It would be called "Blow Stuff Up!" or "Cannon Capers"

SkutSkut on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would totally buy Timesplitters 2 again. Is it backwards compatible with the 360?

Nope.

Magic Pink on
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's angry birds without the stupid objective of killing gangrenous piggies with strep-throat. It would be called "Blow Stuff Up!" or "Cannon Capers"

In other words, you like everything about Angry Birds game play but you don't like the birds and pigs?

We could call it "Hard Core; Pew Pew Pew Game!"

AZChristopher on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I'm eagerly awaiting his next title. Which will probably be Angry Birds 2. Or Angry Birds Deluxe. Or Angry Birds: Enhanced Edition.

His next game is an Angry Birds game and it's a movie tie in.

Sheep on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Let's be honest here. If I had created Angry Birds, my next title would probably be Angry Birds 2. I mean, artistic integrity and trying out new game ideas is great and all, but free money is awfully nice too.

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2011

Let's be honest here. If I had created Angry Birds, my next title would probably be Angry Birds 2. I mean, artistic integrity and trying out new game ideas is great and all, but free money is awfully nice too.

Agreed. You can't blame the guy if he makes AB2, as it just seems the logical step if you want to make money. Angry Birds, whether you like it or not, has become huge. I'm sure he wants to capitalize on that before it fades away, as you would if you were in his shoes.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought we got sales info on TS2 at some point. I think it was just the first month's NPD numbers and around the time that they died. A Google search just brings up this from 2002:
    http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=158941

Also, this shit from 2005 if you want to know how much it sold in July 2005, years after release:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59291

Couscous on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Agreed. You can't blame the guy if he makes AB2, as it just seems the logical step if you want to make money. Angry Birds, whether you like it or not, has become huge. I'm sure he wants to capitalize on that before it fades away, as you would if you were in his shoes.

I wonder how much fun it will be to see the anti-AB crowd shit all over him/it because all he did was release a cash-in sequel to a massive sales success. It would all but legitimise the 'evil' plan the larger publishers have of exploiting the hell out of sales leaders.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    I thought we got sales info on TS2 at some point. I think it was just the first month's NPD numbers and around the time that they died. A Google search just brings up this from 2002:

Also, this shit from 2005 if you want to know how much it sold in July 2005, years after release:

TS1 and 2 are about 400k all platforms.

TS3 tanked hard iirc.

Either way, sales were well below what they should have been.

The creativity and imagination makes the modern trend of military themed shooters seem positively boring. I mean, TS2 had this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNXM2PGLQE&feature=related

The_Scarab on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Evil plan of exploiting sales leaders? How is it evil to make sequels to popular games? I mean, I'd like it if Nintendo made more games that I'd personally like to buy and play, but I can't really blame them for mostly sticking with sequels to sure-things like Mario, Zelda, Nintendogs, Pokemon, and the like.

Stuff like the huge mess with firing the Call of Duty leads could definitely fall under the evil category, but just releasing Call of Duty sequels isn't.

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2011
    Evil plan of exploiting sales leaders? How is it evil to make sequels to popular games? I mean, I'd like it if Nintendo made more games that I'd personally like to buy and play, but I can't really blame them for mostly sticking with sequels to sure-things like Mario, Zelda, Nintendogs, Pokemon, and the like.

Stuff like the huge mess with firing the Call of Duty leads could definitely fall under the evil category, but just releasing Call of Duty sequels isn't.

If a game can make money, the company will contiue to exploit it. That is like Activisions complete motto.

I mean to be fair, I may crap on companies that do nothing but churn out sequel after sequel, but then I'd be a big hypocrite since I'd be a sad panda if Nintendo stopped making Mario, Zelda, or Metroid games.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

TS1 and 2 are about 400k all platforms.

TS3 tanked hard iirc.

Either way, sales were well below what they should have been.

The creativity and imagination makes the modern trend of military themed shooters seem positively boring. I mean, TS2 had this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNXM2PGLQE&feature=related

Man, I am tempted to break out Gary's Mod and make that. If I wasn't already making an Android App and a GWT web page, and my Arduino wasn't collecting dust....too many hobbies, not enough time!!

DrunkMc on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

If a game can make money, the company will contiue to exploit it. That is like Activisions complete motto.

I mean to be fair, I may crap on companies that do nothing but churn out sequel after sequel, but then I'd be a big hypocrite since I'd be a sad panda if Nintendo stopped making Mario, Zelda, or Metroid games.

The difference is that at least Nintendo does not churn out their sequels semi-annually (or at times even *more* frequent than that). There is usually at least a good couple years of development time in there, which in turn leads to some quality games.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's 'evil' when a company is unpopular for doing it. Hence, the quotes. It's why we're supposed to hate certain devs and pubs.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    So, uh, where's the new in "news" from that? Because I may just be tired, but that all seems to be the same stuff they were saying back in 2007

The "We want Gears profits" is new I thought. Or at least I missed it last time.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited March 2011

It's 'evil' when a company is unpopular for doing it. Hence, the quotes. It's why we're supposed to hate certain devs and pubs.

We're gamers, hating is what we do. (of course after hating we go out and buy it anyways...but hey, it's our hobby, we'll do what we want with it.)

:P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    So, uh, where's the new in "news" from that? Because I may just be tired, but that all seems to be the same stuff they were saying back in 2007

The "We want Gears profits" is new I thought. Or at least I missed it last time.

I almost hope they succeed just because I dislike Epic. They've kind of let the popularity of that engine go to their heads. Not that Silicon Knights was behaving any better, but they already had Too Human flop miserably, they've taken their punishment :P

Also, I still call BS on the iPhone > 3DS thing.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282