As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to say that the Minnie changes are really good, even for a mid level Minnie. I logged on to mine the other day just to see if much had changed and he was a blast to play.

Between the new interrupt on Piercing Cry and the new effects on the Ballads it just all clicked.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Entaru wrote: »
    I have to say that the Minnie changes are really good, even for a mid level Minnie. I logged on to mine the other day just to see if much had changed and he was a blast to play.

Between the new interrupt on Piercing Cry and the new effects on the Ballads it just all clicked.
    That's good to know; I think my mini is up next for levelling/page gathering/finishing bk5.

Also, I want to second (third?) Htown's and Aldo's recommendation against power-levelling... there's just so much to miss. In my view, this game is at least as much about getting to 65 as being 65, although there does seem to be enough to keep our 65s interested, fortunately.

Edit: You forgot to mention the most bestest change of all -- GLOWY HANDS IN WARSPEECH MODE! I haven't really noticed much difference otherwise, although with casters I'm now taking more care to save my Piercing Cries to get interrupts rather than popping it as soon as the cd is up.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn it, I tried LT with a PuG and failed on that boss. We got to 13k once, but then we had so many adds around that we couldn't succeed at all. How did you deal with the maggots?

Aldo on
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    Damn it, I tried LT with a PuG and failed on that boss. We got to 13k once, but then we had so many adds around that we couldn't succeed at all. How did you deal with the maggots?

Sangred pretty kited the boss and everything else he could grab around the room.

Hjaraadtasdfasdfsdfdasadad, Domrond, and Flabbo murdered everything (with larva first). Then picked off the mobs one by one. And the 2 RKs healed the whole fight.

Cobell on
    edited March 2011
    Cobell wrote: »
    Sangred pretty kited the boss and everything else he could grab around the room.

Hjaraadtasdfasdfsdfdasadad, Domrond, and Flabbo murdered everything (with larva first). Then picked off the mobs one by one. And the 2 RKs healed the whole fight.
    2 healers D:and kiting the boss... OK yeah there ought to be a steadier tactic there, but I'll keep it in mind if I try it again.

Where did you drop your poisons? We started in the back of the room and tried to avoid the trolls.

Aldo on
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cobell wrote: »

2 healers D:and kiting the boss... OK yeah there ought to be a steadier tactic there, but I'll keep it in mind if I try it again.

Where did you drop your poisons? We started in the back of the room and tried to avoid the trolls.

Well we had never been there before, so we had both RKs on healing just in case. One of us died mid fight and the other was able to keep everyone else up; we were using BBBGG. So probably only needed that one healer, but we had plenty of dps with hunters and a burg.

Dropped poisons away from Trolls (though there's a deed to clear the whole room of bodies). When we got multiple poisons, we'd try to drop it in the same spot (or just next to an existing cloud). Just need to be careful as if you enter another cloud with that poison you KO yourself.

Cobell on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It really was not a tough fight once we settled on a tactic.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited March 2011
    I love in the pose shot how flabbs is just standing there.

"Yeah, I don't pose."

Seidkona on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's all tiny people...and Dom.

IvanIssacs on
    edited March 2011
    IvanIssacs wrote: »

Maybe Dom. . . has a secret?

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011

Maybe Dom. . . has a secret?

Oh come on, you've all talked to Dom before. Dude's a hobbit on the inside.

Triple B on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am really really liking these new instances.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

On the other hand, I was taking a look at the Burg forum on the official community site and holy crap they aren't too happy.

I was thinking of starting one and now having seen all that negativity in the Burg community was a big killjoy :x

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Rule #1: Stay the feck away from any video game forums that are even remotely considered "official".

Don't let those dipshits ruin the class for you before you even try it, man. You'll probably end up having a lot of fun with it. Even if you don't, at least you found out for yourself and didn't make your decision based on the ignorance of others.

Triple B on
    edited March 2011
    Well I already had one up to 32 then lost interest with it. I was thinking of giving it another try. Although I'm starting a Mini now and enjoying it a lot. It's a nice break from the pew pew 41 Hunter I'm leveling for laugh and giggles while I'm not gear grinding my 65 Cap and Guard. :x

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    my 65 Cap

Full Hele. I'm Jealous.

Not that I couldn't have it with just a little bit of sup third mark grinding. But still. . .

Also in other news my wife and I found a house so now the moving starts. I hope to have more time to play soon.

Seidkona on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    not gonna be able to bring Domrond instancing tonight, have work till like 11:30

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Captain tanked skumfil and GS HM
    ScreenShot00016.jpg

Most fun I've had in awhile.

Look at that champ offtanking like a....champ!

Taterskin on
    edited March 2011
    I switched to spear on my Warden last night and did not notice that big of a DPS jump vs the survival drop from switching out of shield. It may matter later when I have more traits I suppose. . .

I'm not saying he became squishy just that surviving larger pulls became harder.

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011
    I switched to spear on my Warden last night and did not notice that big of a DPS jump vs the survival drop from switching out of shield. It may matter later when I have more traits I suppose. . .

I'm not saying he became squishy just that surviving larger pulls became harder.
    The main use of going Spear is more power to blow on DPS, more damage to mobs before they get in melee and a minor flat increase in DPS. I leveled with mostly spear traits equiped, because it's not like you're fighting difficult mobs much.

Aldo on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so how's this new update?

Alegis on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    so how's this new update?

For me, so far the most noticeable changes are:

1. GLOWY HANDS for Minstrels in Warspeech mode!

2. Big change in Character screen (although I wish they'd extend that enlarged format to the dressing room interface as well).

3. Map home changes from an inventory item to a skill (as an alt-o-maniac, this actually frees up a total of NINE bag slots for me).

And on the down side...

4. Still no wombats as far as I can tell... :cry:

The three classes to get revamped in this update were Mini, Burg, and Huntard; apart from the above-mentioned HUGE item, haven't noticed a big difference on my Mini yet, and haven't gotten on with my pickpocket or pew-pew guy yet, so I don't know how those changes feel yet.

Apparently, they've added more content in the Evendim region, although I haven't seen it yet, as I'm working on getting my last three -- edit: make that two -- guys to the end of v1b5.

PS: I now have a bunny mask to go with the GLOWY HANDS -- talk about one scary looking little screaming hobbit drummer.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    edited March 2011
    The new instances are amazing, as is the new book in the epic line. I almost sympathize with people who start playing/return to LOTRO at this point in time, because there's just such a massive amount of shit to do.

Triple B on
  • greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Evendim has been broken up into more hubs which I like. A small chunk of quests around each hub and a stable point so you can ride as needed. I'm still partway through the 3rd hub (bridge on the way to Tinnudir from Oatbarton) and am enjoying it with Minstrel so far. There is also a new token for the area which is rewarded with some of the quests which you can use to buy sets of gear. I haven't gotten to that point yet to purchase gear, but the purples around 35 or 36 seem pretty good (similar to crafted). You supposedly don't have to grind to get enough tokens (I already have enough for the 32 yellow set just by questing) so we shall see how that goes.

greebzilla on
    edited March 2011
    Glornt wrote: »

For the sake of hilarity go read: Official forum whining and Rage Quit!

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011

Wow. That second guy definitely sounds like he would not have liked our OWL discussion last night... on second though, it sounds like maybe he is someone who actually has (or needs to) "shit an owl" -- there's definitely something stuck up in there, and it's bigger than a hummingbird...

Glornt on
    Glorntisms
    edited March 2011

Wow. That second guy definitely sounds like he would not have liked our OWL discussion last night... on second though, it sounds like maybe he is someone who actually has (or needs to) "shit an owl" -- there's definitely something stuck up in there, and it's bigger than a hummingbird...

Some people take themselves way too seriously.

Seidkona on
  • ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    On the other hand, I was taking a look at the Burg forum on the official community site and holy crap they aren't too happy.

I was thinking of starting one and now having seen all that negativity in the Burg community was a big killjoy :x

Don't listen to them. I don't know what they are complaining about, but it probably has something to do with min/maxing issues that many people don't care about.

I love my burglar, even though it's not exactly the typical rogue-like class that I enjoy playing in other games. It's more about debuffing and control than stealth and damage. Sure, a hunter has more DPS and is relatively safer being at range, and a loremaster is better at controlling mobs, but the burglar is a nice hybrid style class. When soloing you've got enough tools to survive tough fights against both tough single mobs and a small group of easier mobs. Touch and go giving you a 50% increase to evade attacks for 30 seconds is amazing for soloing, and with your other stuns, dazes, and a light heal you are fully capable of fighting elite mobs at or slightly below you level if you're smart about it.

The thing that really sets the burglar apart from other games' rogueish classes is that they are actually useful in groups. Reveal Weakness should be on everything you are fighting at all times; an 8% increase in damage for everyone in your group is too good to pass up. Then supplement that with a trick: either disable to reduce melee damage by 15% for heavy hitters or counter defense to reduce block/parry/evade chances and increase your critical hit changes for heavy dps fights. And don't forget that eventually you can have up to 4 ways to trigger a conjunction at any given time.

If you're at all interested in burglar, don't listen to other people whining about high-end issues. Take some time and give one a try. Take him to level 15 or so and see if you like the mechanics. If you do but don't like how well you're doing, keep going until 25 and you'll see significant increases in ability with reveal weakness, startling twist, and double-edged strike. For a hybrid style class like this, the more tools you have at your disposal the better you'll be able to be.

ShadowofVT on
    edited March 2011
    *rogue.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011
    He could be talking about the Makeup Master trait line.

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011
    I hate LOTRO sometimes. Today I log in to GLFF only looking for healers and kin had 4 tanks online and nothing going on. I think there were some guys who didn't talk who were in a group together, couldn't tell from Social Panel.

Aldo on
  • ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    *rogue.

Rogue! Rogue rogue rogue. Arg that's annoying, considering how annoying I think it is when other people make that mistake. That's what I get for trying to post quickly at work. Thank you for calling me out on it.

(All of the evidence of my transgressions have been washed away)

ShadowofVT on
    edited April 2011
    So. Are we all okay after that bum-raping we took in Forges tonight? Man, it's gonna take some time to recover from that one. I'd like to try a GS run tomorrow or sometime soon. Need 3 more medallions of Moria before I can get my lvl 60 robe. :D

Also, everyone good to try for another Sari-surma run this weekend? I'm looking forward to putting that bitch behind me, personally. :P

Triple B on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I still need to do the first 6man.

are all of you guys, like, west-coast or something

Scooter on
    edited April 2011
    Scooter wrote: »
    I still need to do the first 6man.

are all of you guys, like, west-coast or something

They usually just get going as I am winding down for the night.

Most of the time I get the first run in and have to call it a night, sadly.

edit: In other news I spent a good deal of time on my Minnie last night getting all the dust off him and his equipment upgraded. Any and all problems I had soloing in WS went away. I can't wait till I get Li's and I can kill 5 seconds off the WS tail.

Seidkona on
    edited April 2011
    I'm east coast, but timezones aside...it's Friday motherfucks. No excuses to puss out early tonight. :P

Addendum: Unless of course you happen to be unfortunate enough to work a job that demands you work on weekends. In which case, you have my utmost sympathies.

Triple B on
    edited April 2011
    Patch notes for Monday's patch: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Update_2,_Echoes_of_The_Dead,_Patch_1,_Official Nothing special, but nice bug fixes anyway.

Aldo on
    edited April 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    I'm east coast, but timezones aside...it's Friday motherfucks. No excuses to puss out early tonight. :P

Addendum: Unless of course you happen to be unfortunate enough to work a job that demands you work on weekends. In which case, you have my utmost sympathies.

I have to do some moving boxes to the storage bay with the wife and get some moving supplies and such early evening. But after that I'll be on for whatever we end up doing.

Seidkona on
    edited April 2011
    I HATE YOU TURBINE!

Making me waste 50 Storage slots for fortunes. :P

I think I'll just go make a beast of burden character F2P account just to carry these.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Triple B wrote: »

QUESTION! ...are we allowed to have social lives and hang out with friends in the... you know... real world? (Just a general question. I'm not in the kin so doesn't matter who the fuck I am) Social lives ftl? (saying ftl, ftl?)

blindside044 on