As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm new and this forum intimidates me aaaaaaaa

tjspeirstjspeirs Registered User new member
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm new to the forums and I'm not sure where to look so I figured I'd just ask! Where can I find the forum rules? Thanks for the help.

tjspeirs on

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All of our sub forums have a slightly different set of rules to allow for different things as needed by the sub forum.

For example SE++:http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=114367

Just choose a sub forum and click the thread labeled "rules"

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • tjspeirstjspeirs Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Ooooh, okay, cool. Thanks man. :D

tjspeirs on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't let it intimidate you. I would recommend lurking the sub boards that intrest you and observe how things work in there. What flys as normal in SE++ wont earn you any friends in Debate and Discourse.

There are rule threads stickied at the top of each board and will give you the general guidelines. Keep an eye on them because the mods in their infinite wisdom and urge to make us better minions like to change the rules to keep us on our toes. Like when the only insult allowed on the board was to call someone a silly goose.

If you don't derail threads, pick fights with forumers, and discuss techno-pirate activities you'll be in the clear for the most part. Be excellent to people and just have fun. You'll find your place on the forum and your level of comfort will grow.

Psychotic One on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Indeed, lurk a bit, but if you want to post, just post like you've always been there.

ASimPerson on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Indeed, lurk a bit, but if you want to post, just post like you've always been there.

I've seen this backfire with hilarious results. Many, many times. Some people have some weird ideas of what that means.

I'd really recommend lurking at least a week before posting and especially before creating threads.

EDIT: Also, thread titles like this one (no punctuation, aaaaaaaaaa) will likely get you yelled at by the mods.

Esh on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's rare for someone self-aware enough to worry about rules to actually break them. Rule threads/announcements are largely ornamental.

and welcome to the forums

MKR on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stick with what you know, first of all.

Post in threads that are about games you play, films and TV you've watched, and situations you've experienced. All of the politics and philosophy threads can be a bit daunting if you haven't got grounding it that area, but they can be good threads to read to see where the line is drawn regarding civility and debating.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Its unusual for someone who can set an avatar and punctuate to be unable to find a sticky, but welcome!

Watch out for the grue.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The big one is "don't create new threads on already existing topics". That's frowned upon around here and peculiar to the Penny Arcade forums, although typically the mods will just lock up your topic and redirect you to the existing thread. It's not a big deal, though. Welcome to the forums. Lurk around for a while and get a feel for the place.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thank goodness, I'm not the newbie anymore. You can stop putting worms in my shorts!

spool32 on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't make "Hi I'm new" threads in most of the subforums unless you want to be eaten alive until a mod gets there. Lurk, but for real. Read threads and get a feel for the forum before you post, and don't start a new thread until you really have a feel for being in the forum. There have been some delightfully disastrous threads in SE that dome created as their first post and while it's fun to watch a train wreck I wouldn't wish the Hot or Not blowup on anyone.

If you have to make a "Hi I'm new" thread in H&A you probably need to lurk a lit more.

VisionOfClarity on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Like when the only insult allowed on the board was to call someone a silly goose.

You say that as if the Glorious Edict wasn't still in effect.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    See, this gets me. Everyone's all like 'it's ok we'll help you' and 'welcome' and 'you're so cool' to new people who are afraid, but if you're not new and afraid of new people who are afraid, i.e. being afraid of their fear, you get nothing, no sympathy.

It's hard, man. Real hard.

Straygatsby on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Obey the general rule of the internet, don't be a dick. Other than that don't do or advise on anything illegal, as in don't talk about piracy and torrents or how to commit crimes in genral.

Also one thing that will trip up some newbies is the racisim policy. "N" words and the like are banned under any circumstances, in jest or even as a topic for debate. Don't think that rule doesn't apply to you if you're black because it does. It's one of the few circumstances where if you break this rule the mods will really throw the book at you.

Most internet insults won't be looked on favourably in general here, so no 4chan talk.

Casual on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Also, seriously, the Glorious Edict IS still in effect.

Just to let you know, if you decide you want to start out in H/A, this part of the forum is very, very strictly moderated, as I'm sure many here will attest. It's best to have a really good handle on the rules here, just in case. Sometimes I think people come in here just to have their accounts temp-banned.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    It's rare for someone self-aware enough to worry about rules to actually break them. Rule threads/announcements are largely ornamental.

Eh I'm pretty sure I've seen The Cat jailed.

Anyway, OP, I don't think you'll do terribly well here if finding the rules was that hard.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MKR wrote: »

This is one of the more not true things I've ever seen someone post. I speak from experience.

Esh on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Its great here, people are on the whole, very lovely. The only draw back is that you may well get sucked into it all, and end up going to PAX, making shed-loads of friends, and expanding the horizons of your life. Then your IRL friends may think you're a bit weird. well, mine do, anyway.

Welcome.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Its great here, people are on the whole, very lovely. The only draw back is that you may well get sucked into it all, and end up going to PAX, making shed-loads of friends, and expanding the horizons of your life. Then your IRL friends may think you're a bit weird. well, mine do, anyway.

Welcome

Oh LP'sMummy... you're just... so... damn sweet!

Listen to this!

Also: welcome!

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FYI be mindful of the rules in general as well.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128774

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/faq.php?faq=forum_rules#faq_global_rules

especially the very unpopular Glorious Edict, down with the silly goosey!

A certain society is also unmentionable here, risking the ire of the mods. (and quickly do they rise, and only rest when they tasted flesh... or your sweet bitter tears)

Finally remember the board is run as a police state, insert your witty comments here at your own risk.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh yes, the glorious edict is still in effect, much to my chagrin.

being jailed sucks, so don't cuss!

seriously kid, don't do it.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well to be clear, you can cuss all you like, just don't direct it at other posters, and preferably not even at outside entities.

Example:

Sucker Punch was a fucking awesome/horrible movie: Good.

vs

Forar you're a dumb piece of shit you fuckwit: Bad.

or

Sarah Palin is a _____'ing ____ who wouldn't know her ___ from a ____ in the _____: Probably bad too, even if it's true.

Edit: as noted, lurking/reading through threads will likely give you a general sense of what flies in that subforum. Not to say that there's any inconsistancy, just that the regulars will likely be so set in their patterns that any outliers too far are usually infracted and balance is returned the the force/edict.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can tell someone they're fucking awesome. Edict isn't no swearing, it's no calling other forumers insulting names unless it's silly goose.

VisionOfClarity on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Actually in H/A you will be tagged with an edict violation for anyone you're insulting, forumer or not.

For example, "your girlfriend is a bitch" and "your teacher is a douche" are infractable here. I don't think the other parts of the forum enforce it that strictly, necessarily.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah also theres some more obscure things that won't be written down anywhere. Like saying positive things about Morresy or Hitman 2 can earn you tubes wrath. He is the admin now known as Lewie P's Stepdad. Don't question his honesty when it comes to coin flips. Or try to hug him. In fact if you don't want an infraction leave tube well alone.

Christmas forums can have seasonal rules, I remember one year you could be infracted for not being jewish (enough).

Casual on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Casual wrote: »
    Don't question his honesty when it comes to coin flips. Or try to hug him. In fact if you don't want an infraction leave tube well alone.

I dunno. Tube's a wonderful ball of sunshine who loves hugs and puppies. YMMV.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Esh once tried to hug him. Best to not speak of it.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Casual wrote: »
    Ah also theres some more obscure things that won't be written down anywhere. Like saying positive things about Morresy or Hitman 2 can earn you tubes wrath. He is the admin now known as Lewie P's Stepdad. Don't question his honesty when it comes to coin flips. Or try to hug him. In fact if you don't want an infraction leave tube well alone.

Christmas forums can have seasonal rules, I remember one year you could be infracted for not being jewish (enough).

That was actually the Hanukkah forum that year. Being insufficiently full of holiday spirit is infractable, though I think we managed to have like, 0 - 2 of those this year. It was pretty impressive.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png