As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NATURAL SELECTION 2 beta

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2011 in Social Entropy++
Natural Selection 2 is an immersive, multiplayer shooter that pits aliens against humans in a strategic and action-packed struggle for survival. The footage below was filmed entirely in-game and should give you an idea how the game plays! The game is under very active development - we're releasing updates nearly every week with new units, abilities, maps, improvements, etc. We have only 10,000 closed beta slots available. So if you want to play the game early and perhaps influence its growth, come on in!

Here's the beta trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UHXOoUWu5s

And here's how it actually plays: (with commentary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UTzuYLaBAc

You get into the beta for buying the game. I bought it a while ago, and while it's a little frustrating to learn since it's a beta, once you get the hang of things it's fucking fun to play.

As marines, my advice (i don't know anything about this)

*build unbuilt structures by pressing 'e'.

*hatchets do double damage on structures

*flame throwers are the only way to kill 'infestation', which is the slimy mass that encroaches across the level and can destroy doors and such.

As commander:

*build a MAC, build an armory, then send marines to guard and build an extractor. resources are incredibly important. ensure it remains safe - aliens can attack the structure itself and the power node that powers it.

*research shotguns immediately, since skulk leap means that rifles are basically useless at tier 1

*ensure you research plasma production etc on your ancilliary buildings - climbing the tech tree is important to not dying horribly

As Aliens:

I have no fucking clue.

I don't know that much about the game! The forums are here: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/ and they're quite helpful in some ways.

With voice and people you even sort of know, it's a fantastic game, even in beta. But then I liked Dragon Age 2, so, you know. Whatever.

Let's play.

Orikaeshigitae on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    my computer probably will not run this well. sounds interesting though.

computer gaming is gay

Clint Eastwood on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    (the answer's waffles)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I done changed the OP.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Natural Selection was such a rad game, played the shit out of it

I hope NA2 ends up working out. Hell of an ambitious project

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited March 2011
    Since 170 hit I've been playing it every day. It's pretty damn fun right now.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    is the NS2 beta open or closed?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    closed. preorder game -> get beta

Orikaeshigitae on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    this thread is confusing.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This looks a lot like that Alien vs. Predator game that came out recently (within the last year?)

I am interested in this

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited March 2011
    OK. Thread should make more sense now.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this game has been in game dev hell for like 3 years

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2011
    things have been picking up lately

i'm going to play this

if anyone else has it hit me up on steam

Orikaeshigitae on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck I've been looking forward to this

VALVEjunkie on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Played some Natural Selection, back in the day. Thought it was absolutely fascinating, but holy SHIT was I bad at it. Like, laughably bad.

Poorochondriac on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, what? This is still around? And they're clearly not on Source any more. I wonder what the min specs are.

Aneurhythmia on
  • SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh hey, I haven't thought about this game in years. I spent a lot of time building offensive chamber pyramids in the original NS.

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man I loved the shit out of the original. Lerks controlled really well.

I remember in the old days there was a hilarious glitch where if you were on the marines, and you turned your flashlight on and off really fast while building something, it would build faster. So you'd have 3 marines with flashlight bound to their mousewheel start building something and it'd look like a rave was going on.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, what? This is still around? And they're clearly not on Source any more. I wonder what the min specs are.

They built their own engine - part of the reason it's taking so long, I suspect.

I did, however, have a sweet dance party.
    2011-03-30_00002-1.jpg

I only wish I got better screens. The skulk was just jumping up and down spinning in circles.

e: wow, photobucket's resize tool is shitty.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Orik how playable is this now?

I haven't loaded it up in quite a while.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited March 2011
    Quite playable. Sometimes it gets laggy, but if you're into the gameplay it works. The game's not feature-complete yet, so it doesn't have everything the final will, but communication is generally the deciding factor in matches.

I'm not gonna lie, it's frustrating a good chunk of the time. Skulks just got a tier 1 long-range leap which makes them nearly impossible to hit with the assault rifle. The solution to that is shotguns.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Goddamn I played the HELL out of NS back in the day. Bloody computers and their being a thing I don't have

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have been waiting for this game for years and years. I had pretty much given up hope. I played the heck out of the first game.

Also the advice for aliens is (if it's anything like the first game):

evolve to a fade
    reap to the pleasure of the hive mind

Langly on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved being a Lerk and just hiding in a vent and spraying my alien bros with supergas

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unnngh I loved NS. Ungh.

Beta is a tad laggy, you say? Just like old times, then!

God I have such vivid memories of finally getting all my teammates to chase down Fades with their LMGs instead of running away like little babies. If everyone aggressively attacked targeted the Fade, back when it still had Bile Bomb, more than half the time the enemy player would be baffled by your suicidal tactic and end up eating fatal levels of damage from your itty bitty vanilla bullets

Of course, my preference was stalking people as the invisible sycthe-armed beasty myself.

...maybe I ought to pre-order this

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Orik did you play that AvP game? How much better or worse was it than this because they look pretty similar.

Also does anyone have videos to show the different kinds of gameplay? That video in the OP is like 4 minutes of patch notes 2 minutes of a dude biting a turret.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, is it actually playable now? I tried playing it back in build 156 or something and it really really was not playable at all.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It is more playable for sure, but still sort of rough depending on the server. Definitely don't expect retail-quality framerates yet. The main problem is server performance, which can cause stuttering/choppiness issues on the client. It's their top priority right now - their technical guy has been working on a big overhaul for a while that should improve performance a fair amount for the next patch.

Zek on
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, NS1 was so much fun. I was excited when NS2 was announced years ago, but after so long without hearing anything about it I figured it was dead. What a pleasant surprise to find out that it's not!

I don't think I want to put up with the performance issues and general beta wonkiness so I'll pass on the pre-order, but I'm glad to hear that progress is being made. Definitely gonna keep an eye on it.

Supraluminal on