As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 3-30-2011 - "Sometimes it means you go back to smashing a few robots."

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Graphic Violence
Captain America 616 - Holy shit. 104 Pages and not a single bad story. It is really saying something when Ed Brubaker's two stories are the weakest of the lot. The stand-out was by Cullen Bunn and Jason Latour, where Steve helps an Oklahoma town recover from a series of tornadoes only to discover a hidden AIM bunker. Bunn needs to have a Captain America book right now. Crossfire by Kyle Higgins, Alec Siegel and Pepe Larraz is just a fantastic old fashioned Captain America/Union Jack team-up in WWII. Hell, even Frank Tieri does a great job, bringing in a clone of a certain evil dicator.

I haven't read anything else yet but oh my god guys, buy this. Seriously. 104 pages of pure quality for 4.99

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll see those 104 pages and raise the roof with the 80 page Jimmy Olsen one-shot, which makes fun of Superman Grounded with a little bit of a dig at One More Day too:

jimmyolsenspecial1a.jpg

jimmyolsenspecial1b.jpg

jimmyolsenspecial1c.jpg

jimmyolsenspecial1d.jpg

There was also a fake reality made by Mxyzptlk's daughter that Jimmy snaps out of because of the power of love cue Huey Lewis.

*clap clap clap*

and Action Comics #899 does two things that have been sorely needed:
    supermanaction899a.jpg

it only makes Brainiac be in a coma

And those black spheres summon a demon type thing, but Luthor uses Lois to steal his energy and become a god like so:

supermanaction899b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I loved the Jimmy one shot but it was mostly reprinted material. The new ending was fantastic though. I don't think that was a dig on grounded. It seemed like it was making fun of the year without superman, when Mon-El took over.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I should rephrase that to be Spencer making fun of the past two years of Superman stories, since the whole joke was Superman not being in Superman books and everyone losing interest (and I still say that's a highly advanced Bizarro clone in Superman right now who will turn to dust in the last issue, or I pray it is)

Anyway, the Cyclops one-shot goes places, pretty much a retro feel throughout, it's fun and doesn't make a lick of sense continuity wise:

xmencyclops1a.jpg

nice use of Marvel Adventures Batroc effects

xmencyclops1b.jpg

xmencyclops1c.jpg

it all leads back to a house with a bomb shelter, where Cyclops beats up Heinrich Zemo. Yeah, it's totally retro, daddy-o

Forget Gillen's Batroc from last week, this is how he should always be.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think my MotW was spotting a pile of Butcher Baker the Righteous Maker comics behind the counter at my LCS, and being told they were back there due to their explicit content. Not behind the counter? Invincible, Identity Crisis, a giant table filled with half-off manga books Voyeurs INC, Lady Snowblood, Those Who Hunt Elves, etc.

I thought that was pretty funny/strange.

Also? Butcher Baker was quite good. Not especially complex, but Mike Huddleston's art sells the whole thing, and it looks like it's leading somewhere good. It's one of those comics that really seems like pure emotion and excitement, spilled out across twenty-two pages.

With dicks 'n titties.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I picked up Age of X Universe #1, on the recommendation of the LCS clerk who knows my comic habits. It's got two parts, the Avengers story, which is just mediocre and has some odd winners in a fight (Chamber beats Ghost Rider, really?), and it takes the mutie hate into a joke level.

The second story was a Spider-Man one by Jim McCann, and it was great:

xmenageofxu1a.jpg

xmenageofxu1b.jpg

xmenageofxu1c.jpg

the mutant hunters come for Peter, he tells MJ to run:

xmenageofxu1d.jpg

and the last page is Peter, captured, smiling because he knows she got out of the country with their kid.

Some day, that will be in the regular universe.....sniff......

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy shit, Walking Dead #83. Did not remotely see that coming.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My MOTW?
    Surprise Frank Quitely Batman in the back of all my DC comics

Tairu on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The explanation for the events in Thor didn't make any sense to me, but at least the art was incredible.

Very disappointed to find out that this month was Deadpool Team-Up's last issue. There were a few flops in there, but overall I enjoyed the series. On the bright side, this was probably the best issue of the series so far: Deadpool becomes a herald of Galactus. Plus, cover art by Skottie Young!

Delduwath on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy shit, Walking Dead #83. Did not remotely see that coming.

This.

Walking Dead is the only comic that ever genuinely surprises/shocks me with what happens since it's so NOT the norm for comics/movies/TV shows with what happens.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Deadpool Team-Up #883; Deadpool gets a new job, a surfboard, and then lays waste to Endor.
    2h5qtuf.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The explanation for the events in Thor didn't make any sense to me, but at least the art was incredible.

Very disappointed to find out that this month was Deadpool Team-Up's last issue. There were a few flops in there, but overall I enjoyed the series. On the bright side, this was probably the best issue of the series so far: Deadpool becomes a herald of Galactus. Plus, cover art by Skottie Young!
    Per Thor:
    The world tree had it's connections to 8 of the 9 realms severed by Thor. Without these connections, the dimensional marauders couldn't exist in our plane, as they were only able to come here in the first place due to Asgard being on Midgard which created a gap. Thor closed it, and they promptly disappeared.

As for where they went, they are now trapped inside the World Tree itself. Tyr and Balder are there because they were atomized by whatever funky energy source the marauders use.

I really, really loved this arc. It was a return to the Simonson/Kirby school of sci-fi fantasy stories.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker #1; turn Captain America into an amoral hedonist, give him license to break into Arkham Asylum and kill all his old supervillains, and you've got Butcher Baker. The first issue's mostly setup, but it does have a great car chase sequence, spread out over four pages, which is really hard to do well in comics. So, kudos to artist Mike Huddleston. There's also a nice essay in the back by Casey, about his thoughts on how modern superhero comics have stagnated, after being pillaged by Hollywood.

Butcher Baker isn't exactly some huge, creative opus that'll change how one looks at superhero comics, but it does have a very visceral energy to it, and I have to give Casey points for that.
    6ih0s8.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker #1; turn Captain America into an amoral hedonist, give him license to break into Arkham Asylum and kill all his old supervillains, and you've got Butcher Baker. The first issue's mostly setup, but it does have a great car chase sequence, spread out over four pages, which is really hard to do well in comics. So, kudos to artist Mike Huddleston. There's also a nice essay in the back by Casey, about his thoughts on how modern superhero comics have stagnated, after being pillaged by Hollywood.

Butcher Baker isn't exactly some huge, creative opus that'll change how one looks at superhero comics, but it does have a very visceral energy to it, and I have to give Casey points for that.
    6ih0s8.jpg

That art. Look at it. Just. LOOK. at it.

<3

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The art is amazing. I regret giving up monthly/single issue comics some times.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2011
    I enjoyed Butcher Baker but I could've done without the pervy stuff

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I picked up the latest trade of Hickman's Fantastic Four, and got a chuckle out of the fact that the toy store that Johnny, Franklin, and Leech go to is based on the Toys'R'Us in Times Square. The exterior is basically the same (only without the Toys'R'Us logos, of course), and the floor they're on looks just like the seconds floor of the TRU, with some minor changes. Namely, where TRU has a giant Superman-holding-back-a-truck hanging from the ceiling, the store in the comic has Iron Man in that position; and the giant, animatronic T-Rex in the TRU is replaced by a violet, stuffed T-Rex in the comic.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hardcover strange tales II, with the Kate Beaton drawing of Thor hitting the carnival hammer game on the cover, no less!

Fuck yeah Strange Tales!

I forgot to get Jimmy Olsen and Cap after seeing them mentioned here, but I did get Scarlet (:^:) and some other Marvel stuff. Shout out to Ken for linking the Cyclops one-off, which has that fun faux-indie marvel vibe like when you have someone like Mike Allred doing x-people. It's fun to watch Cyclops getting into lighthearted hijinx.

desc on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am anxiously awaiting Strange Tales II, in the mail for tomorrow :D

cardboard delusions on