As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

April Fools stuff

RentRent I'm always rightFuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
So it's April first again and that means more April Fools nonsensery on the interbutts

let's keep this thread as a marker to the all the good (whatever Google does), bad (whatever Kotaku does), and just plain awful (whatever GameFAQs does) april fools jokes there are

First off from Google is GMail Motion, a way to write emails using simply body motions over typing

youtube has Youtube 1911, with the top viral videos of 100 years ago

freddiew's youtube channel has 3D first person mario

LoL (League of Legends) has an April Fools patch, including fake "patch notes" (seen in the spoiler):
New skins in the store

* Urfgot
* Nunurf
* Urlaf
* Rammurf
* Urfdyr
* Seeing-Eye Kog
* 8-bit-tlesticks

Lee Sin, the Blink Monk

Sonic Wave / Resonating Strike:

* Sonic Wave: Lee Sin projects a discordant wave of sound to locate his enemies, dealing physical damage to the first enemy it encounters. If Sonic Wave hits, Lee Sin can cast Resonating Strike for the next 3 seconds.
* Resonating Strike: Lee Sin dashes to the enemy hit by Sonic Wave, dealing physical damage plus 10% of their missing health.

Safeguard / Iron Will

* Safeguard: Lee Sin rushes towards a target ally, shielding them both from damage. If a shield is broken, half the energy cost is returned. After using Safeguard, Lee Sin can cast Iron Will for the next 3 seconds.
* Iron Will: Lee Sin's intense training allows him to thrive in battle. For 5 seconds, Lee Sin gains lifesteal, spell vamp, and armor.

Tempest / Cripple

* Tempest: Lee Sin smashes the ground sending out a shockwave that deals magic damage and reveals enemy units hit. If Tempest hits an enemy, Lee Sin can cast cripple for the next 3 seconds.
* Cripple: Lee Sin cripples nearby enemies revealed by Tempest, reducing their Movement and Attack Speed for 4 seconds. Movement and Attack Speed recover gradually over the duration.

Dragon's Rage (Ultimate)

* Lee Sin performs a powerful roundhouse kick launching his target back, dealing physical damage to the target and any enemies they collide with. Enemies the target collides with are knocked into the air for a short duration.
* Flurry (Passive)
* After Lee Sin uses an ability, his next 2 basic attacks gain 50% Attack Speed and return 10 energy each.

Akali

* Akali is no longer a ninja

Alistar

* Pulverize now slams enemies into the ground instead of into the air
* Headbutt has been changed to Rocket Grab
* Alistar is now a ninja

Amumu

* Amumu is now happy
* Emumu skin has been replaced with Punkmumu

Annie

* Annie has grown up and is now a teenager
* Tibbers now wears armor

Blitzcrank

* Blitzcrank now giggles whenever he uses Power Fist

Cassiopeia

* Cassiopeia has been removed from the League following an incident involving a plane
* We’re tired of all the Miss Fortuning snakes, on that Miss Fortuning plane

Cho’Gath

* Cho’Gath now starts the game the same size as if he had 6 feasts
* Feast still increases Cho’Gath’s size
* Bushes can no longer stealth Cho’Gath

Corki

* Valkyrie is now global
* Gatling Gun now heals teammates as well as damaging enemies
* Corki can now fly over obstacles without using Valkyrie

Dr. Mundo

* Dr. Mundo decided that he enjoys the color blue
* Dr. Mundo now has mana
* None of his ability costs have changed

Fiddlesticks

* Crowstorm now triggers Terrify on all enemies caught in the area of effect
* Terrify’s Fear duration has been increased to 10 seconds at all ranks
* Fiddlesticks has been removed from the League

Galio

* Now shouts “DEMACIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!” while channeling Idol of Durand

Gangplank

* Gangplank’s model has been replaced with a targeting reticle
* Gangplank now fights from his boat
* Parrrley is now global
* His VO has been reworked to be shouted from a distance and includes far more laughter

Gragas

* Gragas is now sober

Garen

* Courage has been removed and replaced with a new ability

New Ability – Plant Grass

* Garen infects an area with grass seeds, causing additional brush to grow over the next 30 seconds. When brush is fully grown, it can be used by allies and enemies

Jax

* Jax can no longer dodge
* Jax’s lamppost has been deemed overpowered and replaced by a rocket launcher
* All of Jax’s abilities are now ranged and blow things up
* Jax can now dodge again

Nidalee

* Age reduced by 10 years
* Aspect of the Cougar has been renamed to Aspect of the Puma

Pantheon

* Grand Skyfall has been renamed to the more appropriate: “Man Drop”

Sion

* Sion has taken a sabbatical from the League to pursue a lifelong dream of teaching Kindergarten
* He’ll be back

Sivir

* Ricochet bounces now apply on-hit effects such as Tiamat and Madred’s Bloodrazor

Sona

* Now requires skill to play

Teemo

* Cuteness increased by 10%
* Teemo may no longer be the target of hostile attacks or abilities

Tryndamere

* Undying Rage has been renamed to Endless Rage
* Endless Rage now has infinite duration

Zilean

* Zilean can now travel back in time creating new realities and tangent universes in the process
* Something has gone terribly wrong

Items:

* New Item: Yordle Saddle. Any yordle champion can buy this new item to ride Cho'Gath.
* Wriggle's Lantern: new unique passive: taunts nearby Jaxes (both enemy and allied)
* Tiamat has been renamed to Tamat

and a huge, weeks-long joke about a fake, then real, then fake, then finally real again champ that is being released today called Lee Sin the Blind Monk

first April Fools vid here

real vid here
Dunxco wrote: »
This year Blizzard have gone with a Diablo April Fools, with a downloadable Horadric Cube app for the iPhone.

The page is here. I've never played Diablo so it doesn't mean anything to me.
Suriko wrote: »
[strike]Just animu shit.[/strike] More seriously, Minecraft's in on the action. TF2-esque item shop.
mattclem wrote: »
This year Blizzard have gone with a Diablo April Fools, with a downloadable Horadric Cube app for the iPhone.

Blizzard generally do a little something from each of their games (and indeed, often different jokes in EU and US as well). Not seen anything Starcrafty yet, but here's their WoW offerings.
The next content update for World of Warcraft introduces a brand-new feature designed to make your experience in Azeroth a whole lot user-friendlier. Meet Crabby: The Dungeon Helper! This adorable and knowledgeable crustacean companion will guide you through the game with useful hints, tips, and tricks for every situation. Read more about this upcoming feature on our new Crabby information page.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/dungeon-helper/
(Go on to browse the website a bit afterwards)
Deep below the damp graveyards of Duskwood, an ancient evil stirs in the darkness...

Featuring new gameplay mechanics, revolutionary Deep Dark® technology, three challenging bosses, and a host of incredible rewards, the Tomb of Immortal Darkness will be the third dungeon to see the light – well, maybe just a dim spark in an ocean of utter blackness – in the next World of Warcraft content update. Click here for a preview of the epic adventures that await!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/dungeon/tomb-of-immortal-darkness

Crabby is my new lord and master.
Rehab wrote: »
This one is pretty obvious:

1UP Checks Out Halo Dance Central

A couple of very mislead (for a number of reasons!) people are excited for the game.
JAEF wrote: »
Razer 1-upping themselves from last year with the Razer Talon
Turkey wrote: »
Karmond wrote: »
Starcraft's is up.

Starcraft Motion
Icemopper wrote: »
More technology related than gaming, but:

Advances in 3D technology leads to surgery that does away with the need for those clumsy glasses.

Unfortunately, those going through the surgery have reported blurry vision while not viewing a 3D screen, thus needing glasses for that. It is reportedly, "so worth it."
KalTorak wrote: »
Google takes it to the next level:

http://www.google.com/landing/csfe/
Big Isy wrote: »
HAHA I just noticed Suds is fucking with us steam users. Well played Man, well played.

edit: I kind of wish I had something as corny to play in my library just so I can 'beat the system' :P
RPS are tackling some of the important issues of the day.

That day being in 1873 of course.
MuddBudd wrote: »
Suds wrote: »
OptimusZed wrote: »
Cake Mania, Cricket Revolution

Where's Puppy Love: Hairdresser in all this?

There are a number of possibilities.
$gname = array('Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?','Blade Kitten','Cabelas Trophy Bucks','Cake Mania Main Street','Cricket Revolution','CSI: NY - The Game','Dive to the Titanic','Dr. Daisy: Pet Vet','Farming Simulator 2011','Grey’s Anatomy: The Video Game','Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull','Paws & Claws: Pampered Pets','Petz Catz 2','Secret of the Magic Crystal','Shrek Forever After','The Office','Wedding Dash 2: Rings Around the World');
Popcap playwave will let you play while you eat.

Like people eat when they play bejeweled.
Klash wrote: »
The guys at CD Projekt Red have decided to create their own rival project against The Witcher II.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/cd_projekt_red_new_project_announced
HenryVape wrote: »
citizen059 wrote: »
RaceDepartment has "leaked" a "developer version" of rFactor 2, which is due out this year from ISI.

http://www.racedepartment.com/content/1156-developers-version-0-1141-factor-2-released.html

Taken from a dev presentation PC this software will give all our registered members the chance to taste what Factor 2 has to offer first hand. It's brings two layouts and three fast machines in one simple download manager. So technically we don't host the files ourselves just the download manager with installation key.

We realize that with our actions we might cross any legal boundaries that jeopardize the release of the full version later this year, though the opportunity that was given to us was just too good to be ignored and we are just going to share it anyway.

I haven't downloaded it myself, but one of the comments in the forum thread was something along the lines of "using animal sounds as tire squeal - brilliant!"
Why just block the ads in your browser when you can block ads everywhere?!

http://chromeadblock.com/freedom/

I would buy this. I would buy it nine times.

post the other jokes on this day of tomfoolery from various game devs/websites and I'll edit the op to change

Rent on

• DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Dunxco on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what is that

that seems like some nsfw anime stuff

Rent on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    edited April 2011
    oh sweet that Aurors vid was awesome as fuck

also youtube has a "1911" button on their videos, which makes all vids awesome as hell

Rent on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damnit Dunxco you've beaten me!

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rent wrote: »

also youtube has a "1911" button on their videos, which makes all vids awesome as hell

Yeah, the downside to this day is that there is plenty of amazing stuff we will never actually get.

I can't see the 1911 button, though.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This one is pretty obvious:

1UP Checks Out Halo Dance Central

A couple of very mislead (for a number of reasons!) people are excited for the game.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

JAEF on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    edited April 2011
    I shouldn't have gone to the youtube page, the description ruins the joke (it is hilarious though).

As someone who always snarked at Razer packaging this is wonderful.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited April 2011

Yeah, the downside to this day is that there is plenty of amazing stuff we will never actually get.

I can't see the 1911 button, though.

here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTjY-Qy5pYc&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Rent on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Embedded videos don't show the option. If you can't see the 1911 option, try clearing your browser cache?

Zandracon on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you watch that SR3 trailer with the 1911 button it's like you're stepping into a time machine and watching a nickelodeon in its heyday.

Edit: Oh and for what it's worth gamefaqs's joke is indeed awful. It's just pretending the site is 40 years old and the poll is a bunch of games people want to see this April. Like Psychonauts 2 and Mother 4.

Gilder on
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Blizzard generally do a little something from each of their games (and indeed, often different jokes in EU and US as well). Not seen anything Starcrafty yet, but here's their WoW offerings.
    The next content update for World of Warcraft introduces a brand-new feature designed to make your experience in Azeroth a whole lot user-friendlier. Meet Crabby: The Dungeon Helper! This adorable and knowledgeable crustacean companion will guide you through the game with useful hints, tips, and tricks for every situation. Read more about this upcoming feature on our new Crabby information page.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/dungeon-helper/
    (Go on to browse the website a bit afterwards)
    Deep below the damp graveyards of Duskwood, an ancient evil stirs in the darkness...

Featuring new gameplay mechanics, revolutionary Deep Dark® technology, three challenging bosses, and a host of incredible rewards, the Tomb of Immortal Darkness will be the third dungeon to see the light – well, maybe just a dim spark in an ocean of utter blackness – in the next World of Warcraft content update. Click here for a preview of the epic adventures that await!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/dungeon/tomb-of-immortal-darkness

Crabby is my new lord and master.

mattclem on
  • KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Starcraft's is up.

Starcraft Motion

Karmond on
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vgcats put the the whole site in 3D so fuck him.

Am I crazy or does that new dungeon helper crab have the same eyes as the paper clip from Microsoft Office.

RoyceSraphim on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Am I crazy or does that new dungeon helper crab have the same eyes as the paper clip from Microsoft Office.
    That's what they're mocking. It's intentional.

JAEF on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm kind of sad for multiple reasons, including disappointment in myself, but I'd totally watch that show.

Xaviar on
    edited April 2011
    That's what they're mocking. It's intentional.

I actually had a better written post pointing it out but then the internet crapped out on me.

I remember gamepro having some damn good ones back in the day, a golden eye cheat I can't remember.

edit: The entire Auror video hasn't loaded but I already know I would give it a good watch.

edit2: WTF? I've played Cake Mania main street for 101 hours over the past two weeks? WTF IS CAKE MANi......oh, nice one guys, nice one.

So yeah, all the ddgamer.com sigs are showing steam accounts as something different.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HAHA I just noticed Suds is fucking with us steam users. Well played Man, well played.

edit: I kind of wish I had something as corny to play in my library just so I can 'beat the system' :P

Big Classy on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RPS are tackling some of the important issues of the day.

That day being in 1873 of course.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Turkey wrote: »

That is glorious.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    More technology related than gaming, but:

Advances in 3D technology leads to surgery that does away with the need for those clumsy glasses.

Unfortunately, those going through the surgery have reported blurry vision while not viewing a 3D screen, thus needing glasses for that. It is reportedly, "so worth it."

Icemopper on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Actually....

I think this one wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsQxpQyoZrY

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

KalTorak on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    EA announce a new mature Harry Potter game. Nice.

Big Classy on
    edited April 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »

Oh wow. That is priceless.

EDIT: I installed it....

Now it is priceless.

Icemopper on
    edited April 2011
    Popcap playwave will let you play while you eat.

Like people eat when they play bejeweled.

RoyceSraphim on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

There are a number of possibilities.
    $gname = array('Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?','Blade Kitten','Cabelas Trophy Bucks','Cake Mania Main Street','Cricket Revolution','CSI: NY - The Game','Dive to the Titanic','Dr. Daisy: Pet Vet','Farming Simulator 2011','Grey’s Anatomy: The Video Game','Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull','Paws & Claws: Pampered Pets','Petz Catz 2','Secret of the Magic Crystal','Shrek Forever After','The Office','Wedding Dash 2: Rings Around the World');

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The guys at CD Projekt Red have decided to create their own rival project against The Witcher II.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/cd_projekt_red_new_project_announced

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just noticed that you guys' steam game cards have TV show games in them.

RoyceSraphim, for example, is currently playing Gray's Anatomy: the game

Hah, Suds has played "The Office" 101 hours in the past week.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited April 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I just noticed that you guys' steam game cards have TV show games in them.

RoyceSraphim, for example, is currently playing Gray's Anatomy: the game

Hah, Suds has played "The Office" 101 hours in the past week.

Suds is the one that did that (the prank). He made the sigs too. He is the mastermind!

EDIT: Hulu is pretty awesome right now. Try loading a video.

Icemopper on
  • ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Horadrim Cube page has some nice ambient music going on. I'm leaving the tab open. Something about it compels me to stay awhile, and listen.

Zerocz on
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RaceDepartment has "leaked" a "developer version" of rFactor 2, which is due out this year from ISI.

http://www.racedepartment.com/content/1156-developers-version-0-1141-factor-2-released.html

Taken from a dev presentation PC this software will give all our registered members the chance to taste what Factor 2 has to offer first hand. It's brings two layouts and three fast machines in one simple download manager. So technically we don't host the files ourselves just the download manager with installation key.

We realize that with our actions we might cross any legal boundaries that jeopardize the release of the full version later this year, though the opportunity that was given to us was just too good to be ignored and we are just going to share it anyway.

I haven't downloaded it myself, but one of the comments in the forum thread was something along the lines of "using animal sounds as tire squeal - brilliant!"

citizen059 on