As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week 5/31/2007

13»

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    we are in agreement

the boys is terrible

Whippy on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait.
    How long do you expect me to give it?
    If it's going on for 5 years.

"Guys, it's only been going for three years. Give it time."
    Did I say that?

No, I said it's had one arc to establish itself.

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I just don't see why somebody who clearly hates superheroes keeps writing them.

It's not like his critiques are very insightful, or that his jokes are particularly funny.

He pulled out the tired Batman fucks Robin joke, for the love of God.

You know, I used to think Ennis was ok. I did not like a lot of his stuff, but really liked some of it. Now, I am starting to get really tired of "superheroes are so dumb" over and over and over. I mean I do not buy it, but it still gets on my nerves. The man has talent, I think. He has written some good stuff. I am not saying it is as bad as Mark Twain sitting around writing fart jokes all day, but it is a waste of talent.

Someone should write a letter to him.

"Dear Mr. Ennis.
    We get it.
    You hate Superheroes and enjoy gay jokes.
    Please move on."
    as long as it's good, who cares?

you're just being whiny

The Boys isn't very good. That's the point.

It's just Ennis's childish whining about how superheroes are dumb. That kind of stuff can give you good, fun stories, like how he handled it with the Kev stories with the Authority, but at least the Kev stories made everybody look like a bunch of jokers. It was just that the superheroes were jokers in fancy suits with fancy powers.

The Boys is just an excuse for Ennis to make a lot of gay jokes at the expense of superheroes because olol superheroes r gay & dum etcetera. The series lacks any kind of heart and subtlety.

I think the point is more that in the Boys' Universe most superheroes are power hungry dicks that need to be kept in check. Not, "olol superheroes r gay & dum etcetera".

Sars_Boy on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The superheroes in the Boys' universe are like that BECAUSE Garth Ennis is all olol superheroes r dumb n gay n stuff

GARTH ENNIS'S POINT is that superheroes are lame and dumb and gay, and he tries to illustrate his point with The Boys.

Spectre-x on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Instances of heroes being power-hungry dicks in the most recent issue: 0

Instances of superheroes being referred to as gay: They go into a comic shop and say which heroes are gay while pointing at their respective books. One of them choked to death on cum. Meanwhile, TekKnight fucks Mandroid in the ass and thinks about fucking his sidekick.

I honestly think Ennis is more concerned with showing the latter than the former. If he wasn't, he'd have bothered to create "heroes" who aren't analogues of existing heroes. Compelling characters with complex agendas and a great deal of story potential, not one note jokes who'll be remembered as the third or fifth Superman or Batman parody introduced in The Boys' 60 issue run.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    The superheroes in the Boys' universe are like that BECAUSE Garth Ennis is all olol superheroes r dumb n gay n stuff

GARTH ENNIS'S POINT is that superheroes are lame and dumb and gay, and he tries to illustrate his point with The Boys.
    And yet the Boys themselves can be seen as superheroes. They all wear some sort of uniform, they fight evil and corruption.

I'm just going to agree to disagree here. I enjoy the book, I think it's fun.

If I ever start hating it, I'll let you know so we can be belligerent assholes together.

Sars_Boy on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Instances of superheroes being referred to as gay: They go into a comic shop and say which heroes are gay while pointing at their respective books. One of them choked to death on cum. Meanwhile, TekKnight fucks Mandroid in the ass and thinks about fucking his sidekick.

I honestly think Ennis is more concerned with showing the latter than the former. If he wasn't, he'd have bothered to create "heroes" who aren't analogues of existing heroes. Compelling characters with complex agendas and a great deal of story potential, not one note jokes who'll be remembered as the third or fifth Superman or Batman parody introduced in The Boys' 60 issue run.

these are things that seriously happen in this book?!

Furu on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like the Boys.

I think this means I am "easy to please" and "happy go lucky".

I should probably put that on my resumé

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited June 2007

I just read the story from your sig

Fantastic stuff, I fucking need to get Madman Gargantua.

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2007
    edit- D'oh

Sars_Boy on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like The Boys.

It's not exactly my favourite book or anything, but I think it's a good read.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Boys might be fun reading 5 years at once, but when you're reading an entire issue based on the combination of "Batman fucks Robin" and "Iron Man fucks everything" jokes, it doesn't really impress.

Scooter on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Oh there's far worse than that.

Did anyone catch the Monty Python joke on the cover?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Hint:
    It's a Superman parody making out with a Batman parody while complaining that his parrot is, in fat, dead.

The Muffin Man on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

i actually disagree. i think the homelander will be around for a long time in the run, for instance. i really don't think he introduced the seven just for them to play as jokes that will never be heard from again. at least, not all of them.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    I like the Boys.

I think this means I am "easy to please" and "happy go lucky".

I should probably put that on my resumé

QFT. etc.

devoir on
    edited June 2007

Hint:
    It's a Superman parody making out with a Batman parody while complaining that his parrot is, in fat, dead.

I didn't spot that on the cover to #7... I think you are taking me for a fool!

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Hint:

My good sir, I would never do such a thing!

The Muffin Man on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Teen Titans all the way...
    Robin kicking Jason Todd in the balls? Priceless.

Please. there has to be a scan of this around somewhere.

http://pics.livejournal.com/espanolbot/pic/000esatk/

Ugh.

Damnit. After work, I'm going directly to the store to buy this one. Awesome.

EDIT:
    For the record, I'm not quite sure why I like The Boys. I recognize that Ennis's criticism of super-heroes basically comes down to "they are oversexed and possibly all homosexual," but there's something appealing about the book. I simultaneously love and hate the Butcher and his team. I simultaneously think that the story is completely ridiculous and over-the-top, but awesome and compelling.

However, I am convinced that Ennis struggles with his own homosexuality. Someone that into deriding others because they "are probably fags" has some issues with his own sexual preferences.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Teen Titans all the way...
    Robin kicking Jason Todd in the balls? Priceless.

Please. there has to be a scan of this around somewhere.

http://pics.livejournal.com/espanolbot/pic/000esatk/

Ugh.

Damnit. After work, I'm going directly to the store to buy this one. Awesome.

EDIT:
    For the record, I'm not quite sure why I like The Boys. I recognize that Ennis's criticism of super-heroes basically comes down to "they are oversexed and possibly all homosexual," but there's something appealing about the book. I simultaneously love and hate the Butcher and his team. I simultaneously think that the story is completely ridiculous and over-the-top, but awesome and compelling.

However, I am convinced that Ennis struggles with his own homosexuality. Someone that into deriding others because they "are probably fags" has some issues with his own sexual preferences.

While I'm not saying Ennis couldn't be gay, I think making such a guess misses a simpler explanation: maybe superheroes are intrinsically (as presented in Western culture) somewhat homoerotic.

Think about it: superhero stories are basically wish-fulfillment (e.g. "I wish I had the power to make a difference"). Now, however altruistic you are, part of your wishes are also going to be sexual (e.g. "I wish I could sleep with that person") because however gorgeous, etc. you are, there will be someone out there you can't sleep with. Add in the fact that many (if not most) people have at least a little latent bisexuality (or at least sexual curiosity), and then the related fact that some (if not many) people have at least a little 'disturbing' sexual curiosity (e.g. S&M, bondage, etc.) that they're either embarrassed or disturbed by, and you start to see a trend.

In other words, PART of why superhero stories connect to all of us is our general urge towards wishfulfillment (which EVERYONE has), and for a lot of people it's going to connect also to sexuality. This is true of all fiction, not just comics, but it's exemplified in comics (where wish fulfillment is so extreme).

This means that comics are at least somewhat market-selected for stories that people see their own wishes in (e.g. their own sexual feelings, not just their desire for strength, etc.). So, it's not unreasonable that a large percentage of comic stories would involve sexually ambiguous (or at least sexually cathartic) stories and characters. I think we see signs of this both implicitly (e.g. the homo-eroticism, intentional or otherwise in Batman & Robin, or the outright bondage/feminism themes in Wonder Woman) basically as far back as comics go.

I think "The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" quite realistically explored how comics (and fiction in general) function as wish-fulfillment, albeit not in a sexual context.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2007
    Spandex can be hot.

But it can also go SOOOOOOOOOO wrong.

MuddBudd on
    edited June 2007

Hint:

Look at him use a spanner!

MuddBudd on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, apart from demonstrating how hopelessly far behind I am when compared to the rest of you (I'm catching up via Marvel TPBs, buying single issues just isn't for me), I'm stoked to actually have a Comics Moment of the Week for once!

I got back into Marvel via the Ultimate trades (which like all good gateway drugs immediately hooked me back into main Marvel continuity). I've picked up all the hardcovers which have been released, and I've been desperately waiting for one which has been delayed over and over again. So imagine my surprise and delight to walk into my local shop yesterday and see a shiny new copy of the Ultimate Galactus trilogy sitting on a shelf, crooning my name lovingly and ordering me to buy it now despite knowing I could no doubt get it cheaper online.

So sure, i'm years late to the party, but I got there in the end! And despite knowing exactly what was coming (been spoiled for me various times since I started getting back into comics) I enjoyed it immensely. I demand more Ultimate Captain Marvel!

"Someone help me... I'm really spider-man... thwipp..." Classic :)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I freaking LOVE Ultimate Captain Marvel. I just like every single thing about the character.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2007

Hint:

Look at him use a spanner!

Ahahahahahah
    Bicycle Repair-man!

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's the kind of reckless behavior that got Jason killed in the first place, devoir.

wait what?

I'm out of the loop .... why the hell is he alive?

his was the only good death in comics because he STAYED DEAD.

Xaquin on
    edited June 2007
    Part of the whole Infinite Crisis thing. He got resurrected in his casket because of the reality ripples caused by Superboy punching on the crystal thingie that the Earth 2 folks were trapped in.

devoir on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Part of the whole Infinite Crisis thing. He got resurrected in his casket because of the reality ripples caused by Superboy punching on the crystal thingie that the Earth 2 folks were trapped in.

oh

=/

good job DC

Xaquin on
    edited June 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »

oh

=/

good job DC
    Oh, and he was basically a zombie for a while, and then Talia found him and put him in a lazarus pit. He actually was involved in the whole Hush thing, but was swapped out at the last minute for Clayface. At least, that's how I remember it.

devoir on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »

oh

=/

good job DC
    Oh, and he was basically a zombie for a while, and then Talia found him and put him in a lazarus pit. He actually was involved in the whole Hush thing, but was swapped out at the last minute for Clayface. At least, that's how I remember it.

God, I hate that retcon of Hush. There's a reason Jeph Loeb made it a fake out instead of the real deal.

Lux on
    edited June 2007
    I have to say, I much preferred the Clayface Jason's look to the one he has now.

And I want to see a proper beatdown between Jason and Dick. I really didn't feel satisfied by what was conveyed by the art in Nightwing OYL.

devoir on
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not as eventful as other moments.
    Read the final panel and try NOT to do it to the tune of Black Sabbath while saying 'I am Iron Man doo doo doo doo do doooo doooooooo!'

Click for the page:
    http://pics.livejournal.com/redorion/pic/0009htzz/

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dunno what it is, but everytime I see a close-up of Tony's eyes when he is in the Iron Man suit, he always looks like he is about to cry.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    I dunno what it is, but everytime I see a close-up of Tony's eyes when he is in the Iron Man suit, he always looks like he is about to cry.

Tears are natures free lubricant, and when your in a chafing armor like his all day you'd be crying to ease the pain too.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg