As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New 4th Panel for April 1st, 2011 "How'd You Do That"

I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatnessstarlight at my feetRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
lfYVHTd.png
I Win Swordfights on

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't find any evidence of a comic called How'd You Do That, I am befuddled

edit: Oh it was the Marvel vs Capcom 3 one

It looks like it was taken down or something.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    1189455874_N7Mvi-L.jpg

Fyndir on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks!

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tycho: I am sure enjoying playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 with you.
    Gabe: I am too. It's a fun game.

SabreMau on
  • ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jerry! Your glasses are bent! Auuugh fixemfixemfixem

ThreadbareSock on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    man, I knew that they weren't comic dudes but I didn't know they were really not into comics that much.

Like, Taskmaster isn't the most recognizable Marvel character, but it's not like he and MODOK are characters you really have to dig deep for.

also x-23 isn't wolverine's daughter she's his clone duh

Langly on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    War Machine and Warmachine mentioned in the same episode.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Awesome as usual. I never seem to grow tired of their banter.

Though those camera men need to learn how to focus. It was almost always just out enough to notice. I know it's free content and all, but when they inevitably sell a DVD and I watch it on a big TV, it'll become all the more noticeable.

Still great content, but I think the production values have decreased this season. Though I do see less dangling boom mics than before.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Teehee, Mike still says "Rai-yoo"

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited April 2011
    Is that not how you say it? I say rai-yoo

Langly on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Isn't it just "Ryoo"?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Correct, Turambar. Just listen to how the game pronounces it.

It's like how you would pronounce the letter Q (kyoo) except with an R sound instead of a K sound (ryoo).

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yay 4th Panel!! Ok, now to watch it.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    2vwfiu9.jpg

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Correct, Turambar. Just listen to how the game pronounces it.

It's like how you would pronounce Robert Khoo (khoo) except with an R sound instead of a K sound (rhoo).

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    man, I knew that they weren't comic dudes but I didn't know they were really not into comics that much.

Like, Taskmaster isn't the most recognizable Marvel character, but it's not like he and MODOK are characters you really have to dig deep for.

this is why we're in their entourage, langly

to prevent these embarrassing mistakes

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2011
    An entourage so secret even they themselves don't know of its existence.

Langly on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2011
    the illuminati

Garlic Bread on
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Langly wrote: »

As someone who doesn't read comics: If they aren't households names, if they haven't starred in a movie, I probably don't know who they are.

Roger Wilco on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I prefer the Wolverine/Akuma combo, with Doom assist.

I wonder if Khoo could challenge Justin Wong, Combofiend, or Marn.

Xehalus on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    loving this comic conversation.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Actually the *most* correct way of say his name is really easy...

It's pronounced "dew"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHYhaa2w_C8

halkun on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also mentioned (the third panel):
    215535186_GL7UP-L-2.jpg

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    halkun wrote: »

It's pronounced "dew"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHYhaa2w_C8

This is the type of thing you imagine someone arguing about ("In fact it's much more Japanese this way you see!") while pushing their glasses up on the bridge of their nose and using an inhaler.

Opty on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish they made a 4th panel episode on every comic. It's usually much funnier than the comic itself.

tardcore on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's pronounced "dew"

<snip>

This is the type of thing you imagine someone arguing about ("In fact it's much more Japanese this way you see!") while pushing their glasses up on the bridge of their nose and using an inhaler.

I'm wasn't trying to be pedantic about it :) Trust me, I get more irritated than anyone when some weeaboo has the gall to correct a Japanese word on behalf of the country. You will not see me waggle my finger and demand you pronounce katana "ka-ta-na". I'm not going to sigh heavily when you say "to-ki-yo" or "carry-oki" because you are somehow damaging a sacred language.

That being said, growing up in Japan, names are kind of a pet peeve of mine. This probably stems from when I had a Japanese friend named "Hikaru" and it drove her up the wall when Americans called her "Hika-roo". Another friend, named "Ryo", took habit to writing down "Diyo" so that when Americans needed to find him, they could say something closer to his name so the poor Japanese secretary knew who they were talking about

When I told her to start writing her name "hikadew" to help, it was like I unlocked the gates of understanding.

The Japanese syllables of Rya Ryu and Ryo suffer from terrible romonanzation, and I don't blame anyone for messing it up. The lexicographer from long ago who decided to use the letter "R" for that particular sound is the one who needs to be shot, if it wasn't for the fact they are already dead.

So remember,

In English where it's "A-E-I-O-U and sometimes Y"

In Japanese It's "Dya - Dew - Diyo and sometimes 'Rai-yoo' when playing a video game character"

halkun on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xehalus on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Japanese syllables of Rya Ryu and Ryo suffer from terrible romonanzation, and I don't blame anyone for messing it up. The lexicographer from long ago who decided to use the letter "R" for that particular sound is the one who needs to be shot, if it wasn't for the fact they are already dead.

I don't know about that. The rhotic consonant varies pretty widely by language, but from what I've heard of at least one Japanese dialect, it's definitely in that range. It is pretty different from the American approximant r, but to my ear, it forms a lot like a trill or tap. It's definitely not the same as the dull plosive of the American d, which incidentally causes a lot of problems for Americans trying to pronounce Spanish.

So I'd guess that at least one of the guys who romanized Japanese was less an idiot and more European.

Aneurhythmia on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When you're speaking English it's pronounced "Reeyoo". If you called him "Dew" people would look at you like you're an idiot. Not that that would be right in Japanese either, see Honda's pronunciation at 0:31 in that video.

Zek on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's called padding, and it's illegal.

Peccavi on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "I'm actually NOT gonna' let you finish."

"I'm gonna' stop you."

I laughed.

BlackDove on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's pronounced "dew"

<snip>

I'm wasn't trying to be pedantic about it :) Trust me, I get more irritated than anyone when some weeaboo has the gall to correct a Japanese word on behalf of the country. You will not see me waggle my finger and demand you pronounce katana "ka-ta-na". I'm not going to sigh heavily when you say "to-ki-yo" or "carry-oki" because you are somehow damaging a sacred language.
    Wait, how else would you pronounce katana?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kat-anna

Opty on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or kuh-taw-nuh.

SabreMau on
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kay-tan-ay

natek on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's not "dew" any more than it's "ryu" in Japanese, and it's silly to try to pronounce it the "proper" Japanese way when you're not speaking Japanese anyway. Annie pretty much has the right of it. The Japanese "r" isn't an r, an l, or a d sound. And Japanese already has a d sound that is exactly like the one in English, so it would be silly to romanize the "r" sound as a d. It just happens that the Japanese "r" gets much closer to our d sound when it's at the beginning of a word, especially when it's followed by a -ya/yu/yo.

Besides, who pronounces "dew" with a y-sound anyway? That's how my grandma says it!!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know nothing about japanese

but a lot of the time when I hear a word with an R spoken by a japanese speaker it sounds sort of like they're rolling the R, but very quickly

Speed Racer on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know nothing about japanese

but a lot of the time when I hear a word with an R spoken by a japanese speaker it sounds sort of like they're rolling the R, but very quickly
    It's tapped, the same way you tap a t/d but in a different spot. That's why it's so hard for Japanese speakers to learn the English r sound - the tongue position is totally foreign to them, and it's pretty tough to explain/display what to do with your tongue to make it work.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited April 2011
    Of course, sometimes you will hear a Japanese person roll their r's, but that's usually associated with gangster/tough guy/lowbrow ways of talking so it's not too common.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What the fuck are you people talking about.

The Japanese treat the /r/ phoneme with the allophone sounds of [r] and [l]. Meaning they do not distinguish the difference between the allophones for the phoneme, because it doesn't matter in their alphabet.

Since you're trying to pronounce a Japanese word in a foreign language, you use the appropriate pronunciation.

You do not go full redneck and do whatever the fuck because you're not educated. That is not a good excuse.

I'm a teacher by the way. Now shut the fuck up and get out of my classroom.

BlackDove on