As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game industry thread: no, Shiggy's still not dead. Damn April Fool's.

• ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only time it is a good idea to trade in games at GS is when they have multiple deals going on at once and you can stack them for astronomical amounts of credit. I think I traded in like 15 games and got my 3DS for free.

More or less. I mean I work at one, and pretty much never trade anything in.

Zerokku on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    I went to sell some games to Gamestop once (and didn't go through with it) when I was in Portland. They were gonna give me a dollar for Mario 64 DS, and the guy explained that it depended on the game availability / rarity. I asked him for an example of a rare game, and he named Etrian Odyssey. "Oh, I have that! What would it be traded in for, same condition" (note: near perfect) "as these."

The answer? $5 or $6.

Worst. Pawn shop. Ever.

How do you not get this

They're not gonna give you some amazing price on games that sell for low amounts

I bought Etrian Odyssey used from GS for $15, of course $6 is a good price for it

UnbreakableVow on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can, just sell your games on Ebay.

CygnusZ on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    In a perfect world, the remnants of Free Radical would team up with the remnants of Bizarre Creations and form a super group and make Metropolis Time Racers where you play as a Monkey earning kudos on the streets of London or New York City by racing against the astonishing TimeSplitters menagerie of characters in a series of supercar challenges.

Remnants? Uh, Free Radical still exists. They're Crytek UK. And they didn't sell TimeSplitters. They're actually rumoured to be developing the sequel.
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I almost hope they succeed just because I dislike Epic. They've kind of let the popularity of that engine go to their heads. Not that Silicon Knights was behaving any better, but they already had Too Human flop miserably, they've taken their punishment :P

Also, I still call BS on the iPhone > 3DS thing.

I have mixed feelings over the entire thing. On the one hand, throughout this Silicon Knights have come across as incredibly whiney and self-centred.

On the other, the idea that no matter how much developers modify UE3, it's still going to be considered UE3 and they're still going to have to pay Epic licensing fees, is ridiculous to me. How many modern games still have bits and pieces of code that go back to some of id's earlier engines? Source Engine still has bits of id Tech 2 (Quake 2 engine) in it. The Call of Duty Engine (IW Engine) is basically id Tech 3 (Quake 3 engine). And I'm sure there are plenty of other similar examples we don't know of.

Plus, you know, Epic are kinda dickish and UE3 sucks.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Dragon Quest X at E3 most likely.

Really? You think they're going to unveil a Dragon Quest in the US of all places? Good luck with that. I'd say there's about a 5% chance of that happening and even then, that 5% relies entirely on them having a DQX press event in Japan at least a week before E3. Otherwise, that number drops down to 0%, cause it ain't gonna happen.
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1158571p1.html
    Sony Online Entertainment has gone through a company-wide reorganization today, and in the process cancelled the long-developed massively multiplayer online project The Agency and closed studios in Denver, Colo., Seattle, Wash., and Tucson, Ariz.

The reorganization, which will eliminate approximately 205 jobs, was done to "reduce costs and streamline its global workforce." The company also cancelled The Agency, first revealed in 2007, so it could "focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties." SOE claims this move will not affect its current portfolio of titles available now, such as DC Universe Online.
    That is a lot of people.

Can't say I'm remotely surprised. DCU Online was in development for what, 5 or 6 years? And The Agency was looking like it'd be similar? If anything, I've no clue why they've been laying off people from Sony Liverpool of all places, when SOE were there sucking up money.

I mean, I feel for the people losing their jobs but really, SOE has been a mess for the longest time and has desperately needed to be cleaned up. I've no idea why they haven't gone even further than this actually. As far as I'm aware, even though they answer to SCEA, SOE still basically exists as a seperate publisher, with their own management, marketing department, publishing arm (they've published a number of PSN titles) and what not. It's all very dumb and backwards, I don't know why they can't be completely integrated into SCEA.
    anoffday wrote: »
    No one is mad at the guy for making money and if I was in his shoes, then yeah, I'd be making Angry Birds 2 also because it will sell and make lots of money. But I sure as hell wouldn't open my mouth and openly criticize other games simply because they aren't 1 dollar. What am I suppose to do? Rather than buying a well made Nintendo game like New Super Mario Brothers for 50 dollars, buy 50 copies of Angry Birds? The success of Angry Birds has obviously gone straight to his head and has somehow made him forget that he doesn't actually create awesome games. I don't care if he makes Angry Birds 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 just don't trash games that people work their assess off to make just because they, rightfully so, charge more than a dollar for them.

I've read all your posts relating to this and honestly, you've managed to come across even worse than him. You continually say he's dumb for even daring to insult Nintendo games but then talk shit about him because his games are "just something you play when you're taking a dump" and not 'awesome games'. Guess what, everything's subjective, including acceptable prices. Just because you're happy to spend $40 on an 'awesome' DS game like Imagine Babyz doesn't mean everyone else is. opinions opinions olol
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Every April 1st someone posts a "Miyamoto dies" story. It's always stupid.

No no no, don't you get it? If he did actually die it'd be so funny.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think Angry Birds is fine, but I think it's one of those "holy shit did I get lucky this caught on" things rather than a "I am such a genius" thing.

I think someone used a "one hit wonder" analogy awhile back? You can make millions upon millions with that kind of stuff, but generally the press hates you after your 15 minutes is up unless you make it very obvious that you are aware you got lucky. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but there are plenty of one-off musicians that took the money and had great lives with it. Then there are people like MC Hammer who just don't know what to do with it. I think he's being painted as the latter right now by some people.

Of course, if he comes out with another "smash hit" nobody can call him a one-off anymore and the whole argument becomes moot, since then he can at least claim he knows what he's doing rather than getting super lucky.

Astale on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Goddamn April Fools Day! Goddamn it to fucking hell.

Christopher Walken Takes Lead Role in GTA V
    Over the past couple of weeks there's been a ton of talk about a new Grand Theft Auto and its cast of characters. A casting call revealed a number of supporting characters, and Gilbert Gottfried claimed to have nabbed the lead role for the game. That's not at all the case.

Rockstar, apparently, had a fever and the only prescription was more cowbell! We've learned that Christopher Walken will be taking the role of Bruce Dickenson, the "psychologically unstable" antagonist in Grand Theft Auto V.

Thats obviously bullshit, but now whenever we find out who actually that takes the lead role there will only be disappointment that it wasn't really Christopher Walken.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Christopher Walken takes the lead role... as ANtagonist? That's just lazy.

AnteCantelope on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    If SK's claims that Epic withheld UE3 updates and documentation to benefit themselves and hurt their competition then they have a legit complaint.

EDIT

What a bunch of whiners.

http://kotaku.com/#!5788207/super-meat-boy-creators-went-through-hell-to-get-their-game-done-felt-taken-advantage-of-by-microsoft

Sheep on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I believe the Imagine line was always budget priced, Unco.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I went to sell some games to Gamestop once (and didn't go through with it) when I was in Portland. They were gonna give me a dollar for Mario 64 DS, and the guy explained that it depended on the game availability / rarity. I asked him for an example of a rare game, and he named Etrian Odyssey. "Oh, I have that! What would it be traded in for, same condition" (note: near perfect) "as these."

The answer? $5 or $6.

Worst. Pawn shop. Ever.

How do you not get this

They're not gonna give you some amazing price on games that sell for low amounts

I bought Etrian Odyssey used from GS for $15, of course $6 is a good price for it

Or I can eBay is and probably get $30 (not that I'd sell Etrian Odyssey).

Henroid on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My favorite thing working at GS was when someone walked up with a good game or whatever for trade in, they got the "we'll give you five bucks" response, and then someone else shopping in the store goes "shit, I'll give you double that right now, ten bucks" then look at the cashier to see if they wanted to start a bidding war. If it was me, I'd advise them to take the ten bucks, got me horrible looks from the manager. Other cashiers just got this deer in the headlights look, like "what the hell am I supposed to do now?".

I mean, that's getting caught being shitty, and not being able to do a damn thing about it, right there. One guy did it more than a few times (he also bought used games, so he wasn't just some weirdo, regular customer) and the manager just told him he was banned from the premesis on suspicion of shoplifting. Which, since we hadn't had any shoplifting incidents in like months, everyone knew to be total bullshit.

Astale on
    edited April 2011
    I have gotten some extremely good deals on stuff because gamestop offered too little.

Even better is when someone brings in something they don't carry. I got a pristine SNES and about fifteen games (mainly RPGs and sports titles) for FIVE DOLLARS.

All you need to do is quickly whisper to the guy that you'll meet him outside in a few minutes.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    If SK's claims that Epic withheld UE3 updates and documentation to benefit themselves and hurt their competition then they have a legit complaint.

EDIT

What a bunch of whiners.

http://kotaku.com/#!5788207/super-meat-boy-creators-went-through-hell-to-get-their-game-done-felt-taken-advantage-of-by-microsoft
    We were told our price was too high, our visuals too rough and simply not as eye catching and flashy as the other Game Feast games Comic Jumper and Hydrophobia
    I find the bolded hilarious because that's exactly what happened in the XBLA thread. About half the people in that thread ripped on SMB, saying how it looked terrible, while simultaneously talking about how awesome Comic Jumper was going to be.

Needless to say, reading that thread with the benefit of hindsight was good for a laugh.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This just in: People initially respond to superficial qualities!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blue map wrote: »

EDIT

What a bunch of whiners.

We were told our price was too high, our visuals too rough and simply not as eye catching and flashy as the other Game Feast games Comic Jumper and Hydrophobia
    I find the bolded hilarious because that's exactly what happened in the XBLA thread. About half the people in that thread ripped on SMB, saying how it looked terrible, while simultaneously talking about how awesome Comic Jumper was going to be.

Needless to say, reading that thread with the benefit of hindsight was good for a laugh.

Wow, just wow. I liked Comic Jumper too, but this is people blatantly shitting on something for being 2-d. Call of Duty generation hard at work.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know a lot of people expected more out of the Splosion Man guys

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The answer? $5 or $6.

Worst. Pawn shop. Ever.

How do you not get this

Well he asked for an example of a rare game that would be worth more.

I can't blame Gamestop for the whole supply/demand thing. If you want to blame anyone, blame the people who trade in their games at Gamestop instead of getting more money for them elsewhere. If less people traded in games then they would have to up the price they pay.

AZChristopher on
    edited April 2011

It is really dumb of them to be complaining about Microsoft and Nintendo. Unless they don't want to make games anymore. It is one thing do to do that when you are a large developer but at their size you don't set bridges on fire.

I was going to talk about the medical thing but everything I can think to say is way too political.

AZChristopher on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »

EDIT

What a bunch of whiners.

Wow, just wow. I liked Comic Jumper too, but this is people blatantly shitting on something for being 2-d. Call of Duty generation hard at work.

Call of Duty generation?

That 2D vs 3D shit has been going on since PS1...

Dragkonias on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Resident Evil movies get a new beginning.....with more or less the same team.
    By Andrew Weymes on April 02, 2011

'Resident Evil' Starting Over With 'Begins' Screen Gems has revealed their decided direction for the 'Resident Evil' film series. Rather than begin production on a sequel to 2010's 'Resident Evil: Afterlife,' they've decided to go backwards -- way backwards.

Taking a cue from 'Batman,' the new film will be called 'Resident Evil: Begins.' As the title suggests, it will be a prequel to 2002's 'Resident Evil,' the film that started it all. Milla Jovovich will once again reprise her role as Alice, but she won't be the superpowered heroine that audiences have become accustomed to since she will have yet to be infected with the source of her power, the T-virus.

Though Jovovich will return for the film, she won't be in the lead this time around. That honor goes to Sienna Guillory, who is reprising her role as Jill Valentine, an original character from the video game series. 'Begins' follows Valentine as she deals with the initial viral outbreak in Raccoon City caused by the Umbrella Corporation.

Director Paul W.S. Anderson directed both the first film, 'Resident Evil' and the most recent, 'Resident Evil: Afterlife,' but there's no word on whether or not he will helm 'Begins.' More precise details are likely to come out shortly as the prequel film is already scheduled for theatrical release on September 14, 2012. Following in the footsteps of its predecessor, 'Begins' will be in 3D.

Afterlife made over 300 million worldwide don't forget.

Cade on
    edited April 2011

It is really dumb of them to be complaining about Microsoft and Nintendo. Unless they don't want to make games anymore. It is one thing do to do that when you are a large developer but at their size you don't set bridges on fire.

I was going to talk about the medical thing but everything I can think to say is way too political.

Part of the visual charm of the game was that it was initially a Wiiware product before they took the devil's deal.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What a load of crap.

If they hated all this shit so much, why not just release on the PC? All they did was put up with it for the money, and honestly if they did, you don't really deserve to complain about it.

Sigtyr on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    My favorite thing working at GS was when someone walked up with a good game or whatever for trade in, they got the "we'll give you five bucks" response, and then someone else shopping in the store goes "shit, I'll give you double that right now, ten bucks" then look at the cashier to see if they wanted to start a bidding war. If it was me, I'd advise them to take the ten bucks, got me horrible looks from the manager. Other cashiers just got this deer in the headlights look, like "what the hell am I supposed to do now?".

I mean, that's getting caught being shitty, and not being able to do a damn thing about it, right there. One guy did it more than a few times (he also bought used games, so he wasn't just some weirdo, regular customer) and the manager just told him he was banned from the premesis on suspicion of shoplifting. Which, since we hadn't had any shoplifting incidents in like months, everyone knew to be total bullshit.

The guy offering to buy it for ten bucks is presumingly not trying to then turn around and sell it for profit, though.

EB is not going to pay you a lot of money for a used game when the entire reason they buy them is to resell them. Of course you're going to get more if you cut out the middleman.

LockedOnTarget on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

The guy offering to buy it for ten bucks is presumingly not trying to then turn around and sell it for profit, though.

EB is not going to pay you a lot of money for a used game when the entire reason they buy them is to resell them. Of course you're going to get more if you cut out the middleman.

The delta between buy and sell prices is pretty huge at Gamestop but that has a lot to do with what they are actually selling--convenience and immediate gratification. People who can defer gratification will always be able to make a better deal.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Way back when I worked at Gamestop, I did that to a customer for Fable for Xbox.

"Look, you'll only get $10 from us. I'll give you $15 for it." Knowing that we sold it for $20. Win-win for both of us.

The trick is to do it when manager's aren't around. Got a number of games at decent prices that way.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    What a load of crap.

If they hated all this shit so much, why not just release on the PC? All they did was put up with it for the money, and honestly if they did, you don't really deserve to complain about it.

Basically this. They willingly made concessions and sacrifices in an attempt to appeal to a larger market and to satisfy a publisher. It's not Twisted Pixel's fault, MS' fault, or any other companies fault that people compared to two games and they should have anticipated some of these issues before hand.

With that said, despite their experience, they had a wonderful reception, have a good following, and good sales.

So... what are they complaining about? That they weren't served from a silver platter?

Sheep on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What a load of crap.

Basically this. They willingly made concessions and sacrifices in an attempt to appeal to a larger market and to satisfy a publisher. It's not Twisted Pixel's fault, MS' fault, or any other companies fault that people compared to two games and they should have anticipated some of these issues before hand.

With that said, despite their experience, they had a wonderful reception, have a good following, and good sales.

So... what are they complaining about? That they weren't served from a silver platter?

That didn't seem like complaining so much as just explaining how development has some hard times.

Edit- Also I doubt they could release the game on PC only after signing a contract with MS.

Turkey on
    edited April 2011

Part of the visual charm of the game was that it was initially a Wiiware product before they took the devil's deal.

I don't think the visuals would have been any different without the WiiWare part. The visuals are basically the same as the flash version that originated the concept.

AZChristopher on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What a load of crap.

Because they were going to get a great deal on XBLA, until Microsoft decided they wouldn't.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33866/Square_Enix_Resumption_Of_Final_Fantasy_XIV_Subscription_Fees_Still_Out_In_The_Open.php
    Square Enix launched Final Fantasy XIV, the second major MMO title in the long-running RPG series, on PC last September. Like most subscription-based games, it offered a 30 day free trial period at the outset.

That free period has not ended.

The launch was tumultuous; fans complained about the state of the game. Early this year, original producer Hiromichi Tanaka was ousted from the project and replaced with Naoki Yoshida.

Yoshida spoke extensively to Gamasutra about his plans to rescue FFXIV, including delving into the sticky issue of why the company as yet has decided not to accept subscription fees for the game.

"It was pretty much personally because I've been a player for so long. I wanted to make sure that I would only ask the player to pay for something" once the team had established a firm plan for improvements, Yoshida tells Gamasutra.

"The reason we're doing this is we're showing the players, yes, it's still costing us a lot of money, and we're not getting that money back yet, but we're serious about making these changes. This is one of the ways that we can show players that we are serious and we are taking it seriously."

The date for resumption of charges is "still out in the open," he says.

This is something Yoshida believes Square Enix is uniquely positioned to do, as it bankrolls the project from its own funds. "It's because Square Enix is funding this project 100 percent. That's why we can do this. Only Square Enix can do something like this," Yoshida says.

You can read the full interview with Yoshida, live now on Gamasutra.
    FFXIV is such a goddamn failure.

Couscous on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Friends don't let friends make MMO sequels.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of that, didn't I read a while back that SoE semi-announced that they're going to be working on another Everquest sequel?

jothki on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I want to know how that customer responded to that BS accusation.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

To be fair you should be able to kick people using your infrastructure to make their own deals. It's like card counting in Vegas. It ain't illegal but they can give you the boot. That doesn't excuse the bogus allegation of shoplifting which to me sounds like slander.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    To be fair you should be able to kick people using your infrastructure to make their own deals. It's like card counting in Vegas. It ain't illegal but they can give you the boot. That doesn't excuse the bogus allegation of shoplifting which to me sounds like slander.

I agree with this. It's their store, and if a person is there costing them business, they can definitely kick that person out. They definitely shouldn't do so with false allegations though.

TubularLuggage on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I hear knocking over video game racks is suppose to be the standard approach to all EB shenanigans.

Cade on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Psh, who cares if you knock over the racks

There's never anything good on the racks

UnbreakableVow on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I agree with this. It's their store, and if a person is there costing them business, they can definitely kick that person out. They definitely shouldn't do so with false allegations though.

Except a rational human being would say to a regular customer that does also bring money into the store (as the poster said), hey, please don't do that or we'll have to ask you to leave. Not immediately ban the customer and make up lies about them.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It was probably a command from on high to get rid of him that was nervously and/or clumsily handled.

Opty on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Opty wrote: »
    It was probably a command from on high to get rid of him that was nervously and/or clumsily handled.

Like the Crusades.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png