As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hooking an XBOX 360 up to a computer monitor

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I used to have an older 360 without an HDMI port, and I hooked it up to my computer with one of these that came with an adapter to plug the audio cables into the computer speakers, and it worked like a charm.

I'm going to be buying a new 360 soon, and I noticed that the HDMI ports are now standard. My monitor has an HDMI plug, but since the sound is apparently transmitted through the cable, and my monitor has no speakers (not that I'd want to use built in ones if it did), I don't see how I can use my computer's speakers with the xbox and the computer monitor.

is there some kind of setup that would facilitate this? I would just use the old cable I referred to, but I can't find the first-party cable I used, and all of the third party imitators have pretty bad reviews, with comments about ghosting problems. My TV is old as hell, and I can't even play some games on it (looking at you, dead rising) due to resolution issues. On the other hand, I have a very large 1080p monitor, so this is really the only acceptable way I can hook it up.

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042UQLM0/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title

The end.

Though depending on your speakers, you may need a RCA (red/white) converter. You can buy one at radioshack or any place that sells wires.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, that confuses me.

So, that plugs into the traditional AV port for the 360? So the HDMI gives you your video, but the older AV port (which I assume the new 360s still have) will give you your audio through that? And then I assume you'd need something like this to plug the speaker cable into.

Blurgh that's annoying having to buy two cables. Especially because the new systems don't come with the HDMI cable, and it's like $40.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    Wait, that confuses me.

So, that plugs into the traditional AV port for the 360? So the HDMI gives you your video, but the older AV port (which I assume the new 360s still have) will give you your audio through that? And then I assume you'd need something like this to plug the speaker cable into.

Blurgh that's annoying having to buy two cables. Especially because the new systems don't come with the HDMI cable, and it's like $40.

$40 HDMI cables? You need to learn to not buy cables at big box stores. You're getting ripped off.

monoprice.com is your friend for cables.

Esh on
  • ReverbReverb Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042UQLM0/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title

The end.

Though depending on your speakers, you may need a RCA (red/white) converter. You can buy one at radioshack or any place that sells wires.
    This is what I use along with a RCA converter for my 360 to Monitor hook up, works like a charm.

Reverb on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No cable costs more than $2-3. Like Esh said, monoprice.com. They sell HDMI cables from $2 to I've seen into the thousands. They're all the same. It's hilarious.

You HDMI to the monitor for the video. You use the adapter out of the component slot for optical or RCA (red/white) audio. This is the setup I use for my XBOX to TV and Astro A40s (or a receiver if I used one).

All told, the parts you need are $10-15 total.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited April 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Wait, that confuses me.

$40 HDMI cables? You need to learn to not buy cables at big box stores. You're getting ripped off.

$40 is on amazon, which usually has pretty good prices. And I'm not buying third party cables. I've been burned too many times on shitty third party HD cables to go that route.

okay, monoprice looks legit. I guess I'll just stop using amazon for that, then. There are a lot of resellers on there selling cables that are verifiably worse (take em apart and look at the shitty solder jobs/glue coming off etc). Monoprice is way more reasonable.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, that confuses me.

$40 is on amazon, which usually has pretty good prices. And I'm not buying third party cables. I've been burned too many times on shitty third party HD cables to go that route.

okay, monoprice looks legit. I guess I'll just stop using amazon for that, then. There are a lot of resellers on there selling cables that are verifiably worse (take em apart and look at the shitty solder jobs/glue coming off etc). Monoprice is way more reasonable.

An HMDI cable is an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. It's all digital. You'll see a difference in analog cables sometimes, but don't let companies like Monster or Microsoft fool you into thinking it's their way or you're going to get burned. You bought into the hype.

Monoprice is extremely legit. It's where everyone on these boards will tell you to go for cables.

Esh on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, that confuses me.

An HMDI cable is an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. It's all digital. You'll see a difference in analog cables sometimes, but don't let companies like Monster or Microsoft fool you into thinking it's their way or you're going to get burned. You bought into the hype.

Monoprice is extremely legit. It's where everyone on these boards will tell you to go for cables.

If you're paying $40 for an HDMI cable on Amazon.com, you're buying from the wrong people. I use Monoprice for LONG cables (like my 35 foot HDMI to DVI cable for my television), but if I want an HDMI cable quickly, I get free next day/free two day from Amazon.com.

$6.48. And it's not the cheapest either, and it comes with ethernet which you won't use.

Synthesis on
    edited April 2011
    Seriously. Listen to us. I'm pretty sure everyone posting in this thread is watching crystal clear HD or bluray stuff right now. I am.

Cables are where places like best buy make their money. Not in the TVs. The markup on cables is insane. They're not hard to make. And HDMI either works or it doesn't. There's no inbetween with digital unlike analog.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seriously. Listen to us. I'm pretty sure everyone posting in this thread is watching crystal clear HD or bluray stuff right now. I am.

Cables are where places like best buy make their money. Not in the TVs. The markup on cables is insane. They're not hard to make. And HDMI either works or it doesn't. There's no inbetween with digital unlike analog.

I think I've actually seen a little bit of "in-between" once before, where there was this weird little pattern of red dots that you could coerce to appear by bending the cable. Ironically, though, this WAS with a first-party cable, so again, it's really not related to brand.

Essee on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, that confuses me.

To answer the bolded question: The HDMI does do sound and video, but only if the receiving monitor had built in speakers. For example, I run the 360's HDMI hook up to my television and use the old a/v port sound adapter to connect my speakers. Sound comes from both.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I wasn't clear enough. The hackjob cables I was talking about were analog, and it was pretty obvious. I have 0 experience with HDMI, so I wasn't aware it was all the same. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to cables, I know enough to see through the claims about gold connectors, monster's shtick and how little they matter for audio in general. I just didn't know for HDMI.

At any rate, monoprice is a really good resource. There are a lot of little cables and converters I hate having to hunt down, so it's nice to have a place with them all organized neatly for reasonable prices.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's just as much (if not more) the cable manufacturers than it is places like Best Buy. A few years back I saw Costco selling an HDMI cable kit for $40 - my understanding of their pricing model is to take a uniform margin percentage on all products (i.e. everything they sell is priced at "what we pay for it, plus X%"), meaning they were overpaying for the cables to begin with.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    1) Buy an HDMI cable from your preferred retailer. All the cables are the same. Buy a cable for $2.00 from Amazon.com or monoprice or spend $40.00 at Best Buy or a big retailer. The results are the same. If you need to buy an expensive cable to satiate whatever desire you have for expensive gear, that's between you and your God.

2) You buy the adapter listed in the second post. It will convert your component port from the 360 into a Red and White option for separate speakers.

3) Plug the HDMI cable from your 360 into your monitor. You now will have video on your monitor.

4) Plug the Red and White ports into your speaker cables. You will now have sound coming out of your speakers.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One thing I'll warn about is that the HDMI and analog AV out ports are right next to each other. I had to physically crack off the plastic around the standard AV out plug to get it to fit next to my HDMI out.

Delzhand on
    edited April 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    One thing I'll warn about is that the HDMI and analog AV out ports are right next to each other. I had to physically crack off the plastic around the standard AV out plug to get it to fit next to my HDMI out.

I forget if it is the new or old XBOXes that had trouble with this, but yeah, you crack off the plastic outer casing on the component audio out if you need to. It'll still work.

I have a reg. XBOX and it and the HDMI fit fine so maybe it's a slim problem?

OnTheLastCastle on
  • RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just to be clear, if you have a normal (low definition/switch) Xbox 360 cable lying around from an old console or something you can break the plastic off that so it fits next to the HDMI port and use the audio out on that without having to buy anything else. The 360 will recognise the HDMI video output and still send the audio out on the other cable.

If you never intended to use that cable, then it's no loss to try. That's my current set up with a (non-slim) 360.

Details on breaking the AV cable are found under 3.3 in this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/236980-frequently-asked-questions-xbox-360-faq-v7-0-a.html

Raern on