As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[4e DnD] (OOC) Temple of Elemental Evil

IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Critical Failures
The Temple of Elemental Evil: A DnD 4th Edition Campaign

A sinister force, long thought destroyed, stirs from the black hole that spawned it. Like an ebony darkness it prowls the land and safety is but an illusion, for it watches from every shadow and ponders possibilities.

What began years ago with the introduction of hte players to the quiet village of Hommlet and the amazing lands of Greyhawk, at last is complete. Here is the long awaited campaign adventure featuring the ruins of the Temple of Elenetal Evil! Evil broods and grows beneath those blasted stones. This is your change sto drive it back and scatter its forces again.
toee.png

Illianthar on

• delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Flaeness is how it's spelled. :P

Good luck with the game, though. :)

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    delroland wrote: »

Interesting. Every book and document that I have spells it Flanaess, as does Wizards of the Coast on their site.

Thank you for the clarification, though. :lol:

EDIT: Had a change of heart. Decided that if I was going to DM anything, it had to be ToEE. Hope everyone else is as excited as I am about that campaign!

Illianthar on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oooh.. I might be interested in this. But I haven't d&d'd in a year or two so I have to catch up on all the new supplements and rule changes.

TheBog on
    edited April 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    delroland wrote: »

Interesting. Every book and document that I have spells it Flanaess, as does Wizards of the Coast on their site.

Bah, seems like you were right. :(

Makes more sense anyways, having it be spelled the same way as the human subrace.

delroland on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Interested in this.

Haven't played in a Greyhawk setting before. Or in any of the old DnD modules pre-3rd Ed.

Just a few questions:

- Are Essential classes allowed?
    - Is backstory regarding the Greyhawk setting required when creating our characters, or can they hail from pretty much anywhere, like say the PoL setting? (An example: How are tieflings treated in Greyhawk? Do shardminds exist? What about Psionic classes? etc.)
    - Are we allowed to choose an additional Feat (like Weapon expertise) or something like that, or will we gain any bonuses from the DM-based backgrounds?

TiamatZ on
  • SpearchuckerJoeSpearchuckerJoe Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Posting interest. Will come up with character soon.

SpearchuckerJoe on
    edited April 2011
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Interested in this.

Haven't played in a Greyhawk setting before. Or in any of the old DnD modules pre-3rd Ed.

Just a few questions:

- Is backstory regarding the Greyhawk setting required when creating our characters, or can they hail from pretty much anywhere, like say the PoL setting? (An example: How are tieflings treated in Greyhawk? Do shardminds exist? What about Psionic classes? etc.)
    - Are we allowed to choose an additional Feat (like Weapon expertise) or something like that, or will we gain any bonuses from the DM-based backgrounds?

1) Essential Classes: I don't have any of the info on the Essential Classes. If you can point me to the source material, then I have no problems with them being included.

2) I would like if the backstories for characters used the geography of Greyhawk. That being said, a vast majority of the setting is only vaguely defined. I am more than open to you molding your backstory out of the setting itself, and defining things as you go. Then, if it conflicts with any established material, we can go through and adjust it as necessary.

In general, you can expect that higher density population areas (Verbobonc, the City of Greyhawk) have alot of racial diversity and understanding, while the further away from those areas you get, the more human-centric the population becomes.

I'll post some more specific racial information tonight, when I get some more time.

3) No extra feats. The pre-generated backgrounds have some of that stuff built in, to help the PCs on the power scale.

Illianthar on
  • 3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm also interested. I'd heard a lot about this module but never managed to play it when I was younger. This a great chance to rectify that.

3seed on
  • LockeJawLockeJaw Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm interested.

Introducing Relic: The Warforged RunePriest

I've never played ToEE and only been in one (non-D&D) game here, but played 4e a number of times.

Updated:

Background:
    Relic was created by the Svirfneblin to aid them in their struggles against the drow. His Deep Gnome creators designed him to be imposing - larger even than his Dark Elven opponents. Fighting was his existance for years and the warhammer his weapon of choice, until his tactical and leadership skills were recognized as something more than what his creators had intended. They told him he had become MORE than a simple created being, required to serve... he was "alive" and free.

Uncertain what to do with his freedom, he tried to understand what "life" was, why living things ARE. He
    was told that living things were created by the Gods and put on the world to aid in their designs. Wanting
    to expirence more living things appart from Svirfneblin and Drow, he made his way to the surface of Oerth.
    He traveled the land, always asking WHY life is and HOW it was made. He learned of various Gods and the
    tales of how the world came to be.

The stories told of ancient symbols of power that aided the gods in their efforts to fight and build and
    create living things. These Runes could be used by those trained in their handling to channel the powers
    of the Gods themselves.

Relic now travels to learn about new runes from wherever the information may be had. Certain that life is
    fleeting and valuable, he will strive to protect it. If asked about his religious beliefs, Relic is
    certain that Murlynd, not the Svirfneblin was ultimately responsible for his creation.

Portrait:
    Apperance:
    Relic stands at 6'4" and was designed to be intimidating. The metal of his skin has a blue sheen and is often jagged or spiked. His appearance is quite at odds with his sincere desire to protect those in need. There is a gold design - the Rune of Life - inscribed in his forehead.

LockeJaw on
    "Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein
    edited April 2011
    TiamatZ wrote: »

1) Essential Classes: I read up on the Essential classes, and I definitely don't have a problem with using them.

2) The established races of the Flanaess would be Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Halflings. Other races are far less common, and therefore might be looked at with some suspicion or fear in smaller communities. Let me know if there's a specific race that you're interested in, and I'll find the most appropriate places for that race to dwell. Speaking to the specific races that you mentioned:

Tieflings: Tieflings are a newer race to Oerth, having only been present for the last 20-30 years. The first connections to the Abyss from Oerth occurred in the kingdom of Iuz, in the capital city of Dorakaa (G14). Priests of the Demigod of the same name were trying to advance their Lord's dominion by opening portals to the Abyss. These portals allowed the first Tieflings to pass through. Since then they have expanded out of Iuz. Some gravitated towards the human centers of the world, such as the cities of Greyhawk, Verbobonc and Veluna. Others chose to throw in their lot more with the humanoid tribes of the Horned Lands (H15), moving east even as Bone March (I25).

Shardmind (and Psionics in General): The monks and sorcerers of the Scarlet Brotherhood have been dabbling in psionics for hundreds of years. Since the order is extremely secretive, the rest of the Flanaess has almost no exposure to the arts of the mind, except for those Suel (the subrace of humans that primarily make up the Brotherhood) and others that come out of Kro Kerlep (V22) and off the Tilvanot Peninsula.

Note: Coordinates refer to the map of Greyhawk here.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    LockeJaw wrote: »
    I'm interested.

Introducing Relic: The Warforged RunePriest

I'll fill in the background once I have done some reading on Greyhawk.

I've never played ToEE and only been in one (non-D&D) game here, but played 4e a number of times.

Here's an idea of where the warforged would have come from in the world of greyhawk.

Warforged: Much like in the world of Eberron, the first Warforged were created as servants. Deep in the bowels of Under-Oerth, the Svirfneblin engineered the Warforged to assist them in mining and other everyday chores. Over time they also became capable warriors that the Svirfneblin used to help them fend off the Drow, Duergar and Derro. Once the Svirfneblin realized that the Warforged had come to possess sentient qualities, they decided that they were no better than the evil races of Under-Oerth if they continued to keep the Warforged as servants. They released the Warforged from their servitutde, and allowed them to leave if they chose to. Some accepted their freedom, making their way to the surface through tunnels in the CrystalMist Mountains around the Province of Sterich (P6)

Note: The coordinates refer to the map of Greyhawk here.

Illianthar on
  • Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The party getting their own fortress as a base of operations? Conspiracies spanning the planes themselves? The fourth highest ranking D&D adventure of all time?!? Count me in!

I'll read up on the setting and get a character up by tomorrow. I've got a few ideas, but I have one very important question: which do you think would fit this setting best, a slightly tragic and reclusive character, or an upbeat and optimistic type? I like both ideas a lot, but I'd like my character to fit the setting and I thought I'd ask when I saw you'd been a DM for 10 years.

Bp1580 on
    edited April 2011
    Bp1580 wrote: »
    The party getting their own fortress as a base of operations? Conspiracies spanning the planes themselves? The fourth highest ranking D&D adventure of all time?!? Count me in!

I'll read up on the setting and get a character up by tomorrow. I've got a few ideas, but I have one very important question: which do you think would fit this setting best, a slightly tragic and reclusive character, or an upbeat and optimistic type? I like both ideas a lot, but I'd like my character to fit the setting and I thought I'd ask when I saw you'd been a DM for 10 years.

I think there's room for either concept in the setting. There's alot of evil in the world, and people's spirits are beaten down by it. A character that is tragic and reclusive could be one of these sorts, but is trying to take that tragic energy and channel it into making a change. On the flip side, the world always needs someone that's looking at the silver lining. They might be met with cynicism at first, but results have a way of changing peoples' moods.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Presenting: Admus Demonbane, Halfling Pursuing Avenger

"Judge me by my size do you? Do you think the enemy stands on their arms or something?"

Picture (Just the face, ignore the shield and lance):
    Halfling_Paladin_by_FStitz.jpg

Appearance:
    Admus is quite small, even by Halfling standards. Standing at a measly height of barely 4 feet, many would consider the obstinate Halfling to be way out of his league when dealing with monsters or brigands. On the contrary, Admus's favourite saying is: "You know you only have a problem if your opponent can still fight EVEN with their legs missing."

Admus has dark brown hair (usually well combed and cut), dark-green eyes, and quite lithe. Though his eyes tend to resemble those of any standard Halfling from far, when viewed closely, they seem to carry the somber tone that of a world weary and emotionally scarred veteran. Admus is quite gruff to others, and rarely suffers fools or instigators. Also, to others, he doesn't retain most of the characteristics of other Halflings. He's neither optimistic, warm nor the down-to-earth pluckiness like that shared amongst his kin. However, he believes that he makes up for it with his devoted bravery (or suicidal foolishness, depending on whom your asking), fearlessness and mobility in a fight.

Admus has an intense hatred and disgust towards demons and their demon-worshipers, believing them as nothing more than scum. Though he had worked with wizards and other arcane users before, he nonetheless remains distrustful to them, often keeping an eye on them before, during, and after battle.

Profile:
    Admus was born in the streets of Greyhawk. As the son of a prostitute, Admus was nonetheless quite religious, often believing the scriptures that the gods protect them from the harshness of the world. Unfortunately, his mother died ten years after his birth (by a drunkard of one of the city's many taverns), leaving Admus to fend for himself. Soon, he took the life of pickpocket to meet ends meet. Though physically hardened by the harsh realities of the world (and soon got quite skilled at the art of stealth), Admus's heart was his weakness, usually softened by helping out orphans and beggars that truly were down on their luck. It seemed to the bitter Halfling that this was to become his lot in life, a punishment he believed was deemed by the gods. Of course, whether one of the gods felt mercy, or because of Admus's uncanny luck, his fate soon changed.

One day he tried pickpocketing a wandering priest. The priest in question started to walk into an alley for no apparent reason. Admus, thinking this a stroke of good luck, followed the man inside, hoping to steal whatever was worth stealing off the old man. It all seemed to go as planned, when all of a sudden the priest spotted the young lad, dropped his robe (and revealed a man decked in chain mail armor) and unsheathed a three-headed flail (as well as wielding a holy symbol of Pelor). The man was soon about to punish the thief, when said holy symbol started to glow a bright light. Confused by these turn of events, the man stayed his hand, and viewed the Halfling with suspicion. Admus, on the other hand, stood still, quite paralyzed by this whole ordeal (though the man later admitted this was a spell he cast on him to paralyse any seeking to harm or steal from him).

The man (who was called Brother Merick) soon took the young Halfling under his wing, teaching him the ways of Pelor. Admus, believing this to be a second chance given to by the gods themselves, gladly accepted it, and became the man's follower. In time, as they traveled far and wide, Brother Merick taught Admus the ways of Pelor, and trained the lad. Soon, Admus became quite the fighter, and Brother Merick offered him to teach him the ways of the Avenger.

Of course, the gods have a strange sense of humor or irony. One day, Admus spots a war party of wizards invading a nearby town. Brother Merick noticed and, along with the rest of the town's guards, soon rushed into the fray, defending the town valiantly. Everything seemed to go in the defenders' favor... until the last standing wizard summoned a demon onto the field! The demon (a mighty and bloodthirsty Barlgura!) roared across the field, preparing itself to ravage anything even remotely mortal. But the wizard's spell backfired, and soon lost all control to handle the abyssal arrival.

The demon proved too powerful to the mage's control, and slayed him on the spot. It then focused it's rage towards the townsfolk. The guards prove useless in the fight, leaving Brother Merick to fight against the beast. Both cleric and Barlgura fought relentlessly... until Brother Merick finally landed the deathblow, finally slaying the beast, and sending it back to the wretched Abyss from whence it came. With the battle over, Admus ran towards the man, hoping to congratulate him and, like the other townsfolk, celebrate his battle. Unfortunately, he saw the man struggling to move, nearly falling onto the ground. It was then Admus realized the horrendous and grievous scars and wounds that covered the man's body. Admus tried consoling the old man, with words like :"Don't worry Brother Merick, you've been in tougher spots." or "Don't you dare go dying on me!", but even he knew what was to come: Brother Merick would die, and there was nothing anyone could do.

The old man smiled, giving the Halfling his triple-headed flail. He whispered: "You earned it! Now...Go... *Cough* spread the... the word of Pelor, and... and *Cough* slay the unjust and those who would harm others in the... in their... ignorance." The man then closed his eyes, his breathing soon coming to a stop entirely.

Admus, in a crying and raging fit, took the flail, and started hammering the dead wizards' corpses. By the time he realized what he had done, the villagers watched him frightfully, as though watching a dangerous beast. Emotionally wounded by this event, Admus took the old man's holy symbol, flail, and bible, before giving him a proper burial.

He then left the town the next day, not saying a word.

Since then, he has taken the title of Demonbane, and swore he would slay the unjust, and every demon in Greyhawk if he has to...

TiamatZ on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was thinking of submitting a wild magic halfling sorceress.
    Experiments rather too deeply into magic, sometimes gets incredible results, sometimes blows herself up and/or unleashes strange things into the town (Since when do flying squirrels have feathers, or 2 heads for that matter :o?).. Probably when adventure rears its ugly head the townsfolk (though grateful for her help when her magic comes through) are more than happy to have her leave and help someone else :P

Though incredibly curious about the nature and fundamental laws of magic, her heart is in the right place- she wants to do good through her magic... even if she has been slightly warped by it. Other people view her as an eccentric (if slightly scary) individual- appearance wise she is a rather pretty little halfling with eyes that don't quite both focus on the same thing, giving her an eerie, even off-putting sort of gaze.

Party wise, she'd fit into the striker/controller sort of role- lots of consistent AoE damage as only a wild magic sorcerer can do.

Will confirm in a bit, with a character sheet as applicable. Let me know if you want to see something more/different in a submission, Illianthar. Oh, and I'm currently playing in a 4e A Point of Light campaign on these boards, so you know I'll post consistently, and can see for yourself what kind of contribution I can make.

El Skid on
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, first time making a Character for a campaign that doesn't play the rules fast and loose.

But, here I gooooooooo

Kigil Ortooz: Kenku Artificer

Portrait (Just without the face and quarterstaff):
    KenkuRanger-BenHodson-150dpi.jpg

Appearance:
    Average is the name of the game, when it comes to Kigil, he's got dark brown plumage, stands about 5' 4" and he's none too fond of the fact his talons aren't very long, compared to some of his friends.

But the couple things that do stand out for him, stand out, his eyes are deep set, and hazel colored, and his beak is almost a perfect replica of a Raven's, while most of his friends resemble eagles or hawks.

Background:
    Born to a community that lives in the sewers under the city of Greyhawk, and contains every manor of race, from Changeling to Wererat to Hafling to Dwarf, his only real relationship to the area outside his beloved tunnels was the stories he had been told, and theft, lots of it. He had to steal from various merchant stores, noble's houses, and occasionally a criminal organization's stores of supplies, to keep the family fed and clothed.

But not everything stolen was for the 'good of the group', for one of the nobles he regularly stole from was a man who made his fortune as an Artificer, making Warforged specially for those who required a servant who never complained, and doubled as a bodyguard. He stole every manner of tome and tool from this man, and always returning them when done studying them and practicing what he read, lest he raise suspicions.

That changed the day he was caught by the Noble, and he was none too fond to learn a young Kenku was the source of his recent wave of lost or misplaced items, but what he was fond of, was his studiousness, as he had essentially memorized all the tome had taught him. Grateful that the urchin child had at least the courtesy to return the books and tools when done, he let the borrowing continue. When the man died and Kigil could not return to claim any more books, he decided to leave his family, and the pursue the arcane sciences, and teach what he knew to those who he believed would benefit from his knowledge.

I'm going to be out of town for a few days, so I won't be able to reply to anything, probably, but I lurk around SE++ and here. Posting usually from 3:00 to 10:00 EST

Huntera on
  • SpearchuckerJoeSpearchuckerJoe Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Saraph Amarantos: Tiefling Warlock

"You don’t gamble to win. You gamble so you can gamble the next day."

Portrait
    dr-flamulus.jpg

Appearance:
    Seraph is a wanderer, and looks like it. He is shifty, always scanning for possible escape routes, or possible rubes to swindle.

When traveling he will hide his tiefling features in robes and a turban.

Background:
    Saraph Amarantos is a tiefling scoundrel. But he's also a man of his word. He's not sure of his early life, suffice to say that if he did remember, he might be called the most interesting tiefling in the world. But however long he dwelled in the Abyss, rising and falling in power, is not much relevant to him. He is not a man who dwells on the past, except to try to escape it.

To him, anything worth doing must involve risk. Otherwise, there is nothing to gain from it.

Most of his life's journey is directed by the winnings and losings of his gambits. He won his freedom into Oerth on the roll of a die, but also lost memory of most of his powers with an unlucky spin of the wheel.

In order to regain his powers, he was cursed to assist someone with a lost spirit reclaim his soul, and so he has become more interested in finding someone who might meet such a requirement. He thus found himself in Verbobonc where he felt his selection would be better. He had traveled with a group of Tieflings from Dorakaa, but split up from them upon entering the city.

SpearchuckerJoe on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've always been intimidated by D&D so I've only been playing since halfway through last season's Encounters game, and I haven't done a PBP game before, so I might not be the best choice.

However, I'll offer up Dermond Fleischild Human Fighter to the grinder.

I, too, need to read up on Greyhawk to get familiar with the atmosphere.

Portrait:

Background:
    Name a famous battle, and you'll be naming the burial place of a Fleischild. Until Dermond's Grandfather broke with family tradition, the Fleischilds were a family that prided itself on being in the front lines. His Grandfather decided that being spitted by an enemy pike wasn't for him and turned to trade instead.
    Dermond was priviliged to be tutored from a young age, and immediately took to stories of knights facing down enemies despite overwhelming odds. Fearing that his son was displaying the same suicidal tendencies that his forefathers possessed, Dermond's Father sent him to a Knightly Order that had also mellowed with age. To Dermond's dismay he spent more time learning secret handshakes and ridiculous ceremonies than learning the martial arts. It was no Fraternity for Men at Arms, it was a social club for the sons of the well-to-do to put on armor and put more notches on their bedposts than their swords.
    Dermond sneaked into the library at night, reading the manuscripts of knights past and learning the forms of combat. When he felt confident in his abilities, he had a suit of armor comissioned and took off on his own, looking for the adventure he grew up reading about.

Description
    He's 6'1", and built like a brick wall. He has dark blue eyes, close cropped blonde hair, and a fair complexion. He has yet to see real combat and is itching to prove his mettle. He worships Pelor and tries to show compassion for all creatures. Dermond's not well-traveled and can be a bit too trusting of others.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2011
    Havrakhad the Mad, Kalashtar Cleric

I posted this in the other ToEE campaign as a possible character; let me dig around for his description.

Edit: here we go:
    Background:
    No one is really sure what happened to Havrakhad. Born a human, he was always a troubled child. Claiming to hear voices whispering in his dreams, his parents at first sought help from the local temple, but the priests could do nothing to cure him of his supposed madness. Eventually, his parents could no longer stand his incoherent screams of gibberish every night, and so they gave him to the care of a local monastery dedicated to Pelor.

The next few years were hard on Havrakhad, as his new masters sought to "cleanse" the boy of his malady through any means. Years of self-inflicted penance and tireless labor created in the boy a hatred of Pelor, and eventually of all beings divine.

One night, as Havrakhad lay on his bed weeping, the wounds of his self-flagellation still burning, the voice called out to him again, though this time he was not asleep. Whispering of freedom from his servitude, the voice bade him to flee the monastery into the nearby wilderness. There, said the voice, could salvation be found.

The monks performed a token search for the missing child, though they could not help but feel relieved at their burden having been lifted from them. Soon, they declared Havrakhad gone forever, devoured by some foul beast of the woods. His parents came to the funeral, but even they could not find it in themselves to grieve for the loss of their troubled son.

Imagine the surprise of the village when years later Havrakhad would return. Time had changed the youth, as he had grown into a man, toughened from his ordeals of both body and mind. But that was not the only change, for he strode with almost divine grace, as though the mundane troubles of the world no longer concerned him. Wearing an ancient and battered symbol on a cord around his neck, one which no one recognized, he began speaking of an ancient Chained God, one who would free the world from its chains of slavery and pain, if only they would lay down the shackles of servitude preached by the servants of Pelor. Many of the villagers dismissed his message as insane ramblings, and the monks chased Havrakhad from the village for blaspheming against their god, but some in the crowd felt his message call to them.

Thus would Havrakhad journey, traveling from town to town, preaching his message at each location before being chased away, planting the seeds of inspiration in the hearts and minds of any who would listen.
    Description:
    Havrakhad is a crippled man, his body wracked by the years of hardship he has endured, and yet his suffering has forged in him a great fortitude of mind and body. His strangely white eyes seem to pierce to your very soul. Even though his slightly hunched frame leans on a crude staff for support, you sense in him an otherworldly serenity. Under his well-worn clothing you catch the glint of mail as well as a strange symbol hanging from his neck.

delroland on
    edited April 2011
    Going to try and throw some information up each day to give people some background and flavor on the setting, the temple, and some of the interesting characters.

For today, some background on the temple itself, and the events leading up to the module.

History of the Temple
    Referenced from the ToEE Wikipedia page

The temple referenced in the module's title is an unholy structure located in the central Flanaess not far from the city-state of Verbobonc. In 566 CY, forces of evil from Dyvers or the Wild Coast constructed a small chapel outside the nearby village of Nulb. The chapel was quickly built into a stone temple from which bandits and evil humanoids began to operate with increasing frequency.

In 569 CY, a combined force was sent to destroy the Temple and put an end to the marauding. The army included regular forces from the human kingdoms of Furyondy and Veluna, dwarves from the Lortmil Mountains, gnomes from the Kron Hills, and elven archers and spearmen.

This allied army clashed with a horde of evil men and humanoids, including orcs, ogres and gnolls, at the Battle of Emridy Meadows. The forces of good were victorious and the Horde of Elemental Evil was scattered. The Temple was then besieged and fell within two weeks, although a few of its leaders managed to escape.

The site itself remained, however, and over the following decade rumors of evil presence there persisted. The Viscount of Verbobonc and the Archcleric of Veluna became increasingly concerned, and cooperated to build a small castle outside the Village of Hommlet to guard against the possibility of the Temple rising again.

For the next five years, Hommlet gained in wealth thanks to adventurers who came to the area seeking out remnants of evil to slay. Things quieted down for another four years as the area returned to peace and normalcy, but in 578 CY evil began to stir again, with groups of bandits riding the roads. The events of the module take place starting in 579 CY

The Ballad of Emridy Meadows

Harken now to my words of sadness
    learn about the downfall of madness
    How the sacrifice of one was a boon
    for the land of the crowns and the crescent moon
    In the days of Emridy meadows

An evil and fearsome power arose
    In a house of worship, now avoided by most
    It corrupted poor souls, deceiving them all
    Intending to bring Furyondy to fall
    In the days of Emridy Meadows

Furyondy, pearl of the heartland realms
    shining jewel of the north
    changed your face forevermore
    when your prince was to sally forth

Lured to the new god by promise and lies
    Many sold their faith, never knowing the price
    Held fast in the grasp of insanity
    they started a war that should not be
    On the fields of Emridy Meadows

While battle raged the darkness grew
    Like a chill of winter the northern winds blew,
    And the souls of the brave and the hearts of the fair
    Soon were filled with doom and despair
    On the fields of Emridy Meadows

Down came the prince with the valiant heart
    His sword split the night cutting deep through the dark
    He fought like a titan, an angel of light
    And single-handedly turned the tide
    That night at Emridy Meadows

Then the morning mists faded and the light of the sun
    heralded a peaceful time to come
    Still the victory was bitter-sweet
    Cause the prince disappeared soon after his deed
    That night at Emridy Meadows

Oh, Thrommel my lord, what happened that day
    Did you abandon us or drown in the fray
    Now the nights are long and the days are cold
    And people still missing their prince of old

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Character is almost done, but I wanted to ask something first. Are Eladrin common in the world of Greyhawk, or are they as mysterious and strange as the PHB suggests?

Bp1580 on
    edited April 2011
    Character is almost done, but I wanted to ask something first. Are Eladrin common in the world of Greyhawk, or are they as mysterious and strange as the PHB suggests?

Eladrin: The Eladrin are not that common on the Flanaess. Unlilke other settings, they are treated with suspicion by the elves for reasons that are not quite known to humans. Most other races look at them with the same combination of awe and uncertainty that the PHB references. The main area where Eladrin are found is the Valley of the Mage (M5), where the connection with the Feywild is strongest, and prying eyes are few.

Note: The coordinates above reference the map of Greyhawk found here.

Illianthar on
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Never played in a PbP before, so forgive me if I do something wrong.
    That said...

Tavaros Kahlir, Tiefling Psion

Portrait:
    (Ignoring the ghost in the back)
    4564060357_1338e284db.jpg

Appearance:
    Tavaros is tall for a Tiefling, standing at around 6 feet. His black hair is arranged in such a way as to emphasize what he believes to be his most prominent quality, his horns. He makes a point to be seen in the finest clothing he can obtain. If one did not know any better, they might describe Tavaros as ever so slightly vain.

Background:
    The Abyss. Home of Tieflings, land of Demons, and a generally unpleasant place. Before the portals were first opened, most mortals believed it to be a land of eternal punishment.
    This is where Tavaros grew up.
    Of course, if you were to ask him about what life was like in Hell, he'd laugh. To a Tiefling, the Abyss was home; no more cruel than the rough mountains that shaped the Dwarves. Granted, there were demons, but you got over that. Unless you were Tavaros Kahlir, Tiefling psion and patron of a demon whose name would be interpreted by any mortal as a cross between a sneeze and a choke, backwards.
    Fzz'shwar was a peculiarity among Demons, favoring psionic over physical strength, believing that it would be much easier to fight against a foes' untrained mental defenses than his corporeal ones. He had limited success in this regard; though he held small portions of land and power, his group of psions simply could not hold up against the brute force of other demons. When the portals opened, he took the chance to expand into new territory, sending Tavaros out into the world with very specific orders.
    Once he arrived, Tavaros noticed two things. First, the realm he now found himself in was considerably more temperate than the Abyss. Second, there was absolutely no reason to continue under Fzz'shwar's service. So, he left Dorakaa, determined to explore the lands he would now call his home.
    Some time after that, Tavaros made his appearance in Verbobonc, clad in ragged leather armor and armed with a sickle, a common weapon among his Demonkin. Discarding these signs of a rough past, he infiltrated the social circles of Verbobonc as the friend of a friend. While he made overt efforts to differentiate himself from the stereotypical Tiefling, a bloodthirsty demon-faced warrior, everyone who met him left with the distinct impression that something manipulative was dancing behind his warm smile. Those few he met that possessed a knowledge of psionics were able to define these feelings as a sense of psionic activity, though they were unable to firmly define its purpose.
    With time, he climbed his way up the social ladder, and a shrewd observer would have noticed his particular concern with the legends and rumors surrounding the Demon Queen. These inquiries were strictly a one-way affair, however; whenever questioned about his own past, Tavaros would sidestep the question, or if he was in a more melancholy mood, finger the amulet around his neck and fall silent.
    However, it eventually became clear to him that somehow, a powerful demon had risen to power here as well. Determined not to allow the world to become another Abyss, Tavaros resolved to try his hand at serious adventuring. He purchased the requisite supplies, dusted off his sickle, went through his mental checklist and found one thing missing.

A group.

DrDinosaur on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Valesti Hurlsbaatt, Dwarven Ranger

Portrait:
    Val.jpg

Appearance:
    Extremely tall for a Dwarf, especially a female, Valesti is consequently rather skinny, especially compared to her other siblings. She's still noticeably stockier than a female human of her height, and one good look at her would dispel any confusion. Gray-eyed, Valesti has her dark, auburn hair properly braided, with two smaller braids in front of either shoulder, and one long braid running down her back to nearly her waist. She would be happy to explain the intricate braiding that signifies her connection to the Kingdom of Glorvardum, but has learned most non-Dwarves aren't that interested.

She wears hide armor that is obviously well made, but has seen a number of other owners, and suffers from poor upkeep before it was passed down to her. Valesti's many axes are similarly battle-worn, hafts missing chunks and blades notched, but have all been lovingly restored to a perfectly serviceable condition. They are strapped across her belt, kilt and bandolier, and make quite an intimidating first impression.

Background:
    Valesti's grandfather was possessed by wanderlust, a horrible curse for a Dwarf. After serving his time in the Barakadar, the local army of the Kingdom of Glorvardum, he found himself unable to settle down. Scrounging for the last fruits of mines that were played out in this father's time bored him, and exploring the Gloriole Mountains for new deposits only held his attention for a few years. Leaving his home behind for the life of a traveling mercenary, he was caught up for some time in the strife of the nearby Great Kingdom, before heading west as part of a caravan destined for the far-off Lortmil Mountains. He met his wife on his journey west, and finally settled with her when they reached the mountains.

Thankfully her father did not wander nearly as far, content to take the martial teachings of his father to the nearby Principality of Ulek. Fervent worship of Clangeddin Silverbeard, Father of Battle, served him well when protecting the land from orcs and goblins. Neither Valesti nor her father ever served in the old Barakadar, but they were raised to make her grandfather and his ancestors proud. She was prepared for a life of battle, both from tradition and necessity, as the threat of the nearby Pomarj ever loomed over their lives. Never the strongest or brightest of seven siblings, Valesti grew up being picked on for her small size and cautious outlook. She was content to follow her father through the fortifications of their home town, keeping him company on short trips, classified by her older brothers as nearly useless. Things changed when she returned from a summer away with her father, assisting him in surveying and repairing an eastern fortification while he concentrated on training the local forces on the proper way to throw an axe. Valesti now towered over the rest of her family, even if she wasn't nearly as broad as her brothers or sisters. After she demonstrated how she could lodge two of her father's axes into a target the size of a Dwarf's skull, the bullying stopped for good.

Unfortunately, her father was slain during an attack soon after their return, and her eldest brother's promotion to head of the household drove her off. With no other close ties, she found herself traveling, much like her grandfather. Taking only the battered supplies her older siblings refused, she left home, crossing the Lortmil Mountains. Still thinking long and hard about her prospects, she let chance pull her towards Verbobonc. With only a few gold left, dwindling supplies, and no easily exploitable skills beyond training that would make the Rock of Battle smile, Valesti finds herself again following in her grandfather's footsteps. Adventurer, however, sounded much more profound than mercenary...

I apologize for the crappy shopping on that picture. It's very, very hard to find good pictures of female Dwarves. I know it said you were sticking to the Pantheon in the main book, but I stumbled across another really amusing Dwarven god. He's in the background info, but I just listed Moradin on her sheet. I figure she can just mention him as a supporter of Moradin. If you don't mind using him officially, though, he sounds pretty awesome. Not a Cleric, so no need to work up anything for it.

Edit : Fixed a few mistakes. This also took forever to post and edit because of the busy server. Please let me know if I made any mistakes, only my second 4e character and first Greyhawk character since middle school.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2011
    Let me introduce...

Faergus Winterkin, Dragonborn Paladin

Portrait:
    M_Dragonborn9.png

Appearance:
    Steady, gold eyes and red tipped ridges dominate a calm face. This dragonborn is still young, but there's maturity in his eyes; enough to know that life has suffering and joy both and that he has much to learn yet.

Personality Traits:
    Faergus Winterkin is a being of contradictions. He is a paladin--a Dragonborn paladin no less--with a sly sense of humor and a fondness for small children. At the same time, he is a commanding presence on the battlefield; sword and shield at the ready, quick to act. A devout follower of Pelor, Faergus is drawn to the life and hope the god represents, even though his own inner energies align with winter. Maybe that's what draws him to Pelor. One must understand winter in order to know spring and summer.

Background:
    (I'm going to need your help here, Illianthar. Where do the Dragonborn come from in Greyhawk's world? I don't know enough to guess at how they're tied into Oerth's history.)

Faergus grew up adopted into a mixed clan of humans, dwarves, and gnomes; a family of sorts, where none were related by blood, except for the children that grew up around them. All were refugees who gathered and pooled their resources, eventually forming a vibrant steading and building a lively inn.

Perhaps unusual for an adventurer, especially considering the terrible traumas of war that led him there, Faergus grew up happy. The sun dappled fields were only seldom marred by the dark memories of blood and orcs. He'd hear the wheat whispering in the wind, feel the bright sun above, and know that his place--when he was old enough--was to protect those dear things.

The path of paladin was much more difficult than he anticipated of course. It always is. But the challenges suited him, and the rewards of the spirit were plentiful.

Now he is in Verbobenc--at the command of the Knight-Abbot of his Order--to investigate the rise of banditry in the area. It is a grim duty, but better he than the farmers untrained to sword and shield; the children too young for blood.

3seed on
    edited April 2011
    Joke in poor taste behind spoiler:
    Am I the only one worried about a holy man with an affinity for small children?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Joke in poor taste behind spoiler:
    Am I the only one worried about a holy man with an affinity for small children?

Genuine fear behind spoiler:
    Not as much as I am over the possibly crazy halfing with a penchant for kneecapping with a morningstar.

On topic, I've almost finished my character. Backstory took ages to write, and I was gone most of today so blah blah blah excuses. I have the sheet finished on the character builder, but I have to go type it all in to Mythweavers before I can post it and it's 2:04 AM here :d

Bp1580 on
    edited April 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I apologize for the crappy shopping on that picture. It's very, very hard to find good pictures of female Dwarves. I know it said you were sticking to the Pantheon in the main book, but I stumbled across another really amusing Dwarven god. He's in the background info, but I just listed Moradin on her sheet. I figure she can just mention him as a supporter of Moradin. If you don't mind using him officially, though, he sounds pretty awesome. Not a Cleric, so no need to work up anything for it.
    school.

Clangeddin Silverbeard is one of my favorite old-school dwarven gods :). There's definitely room in the cosmology for some of the lesser gods to be worshipped, although those coming from a divine power source would probably want to stick to the major dieties, since those are the ones detailed in the various source books.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    3seed wrote: »
    (I'm going to need your help here, Illianthar. Where do the Dragonborn come from in Greyhawk's world? I don't know enough to guess at how they're tied into Oerth's history.)

Dragonborn: There have always been rumors surrounding the great dragons on Oerth. That they swoop in and devour small children in the night, or that they were reclusive, living on islands far to the north of the Icy Sea. Some of those rumors even supposed that the dragons could take human form, and were living amongst the "lesser" races, right under our very noses. The last of these rumors was always viewed as the most far-fetched, until the first of the Dragonborn appeared.

The story goes that many years ago a merchant was walking through the streets of the City of Greyhawk when he found a small bundle in an alleyway. He opened the bundle and found what looked to be a human child, except that the child's skin seemed to be rough, with a golden hue. As the child grew, his draconian features became more prominent, and the first of the Dragonborn grew into adulthood. Over time, more and more "orphans" were discovered, both in the City and across the Flanaess. The populace started to believe that the children were a boon from Bahamut, and finding a Dragonborn became a blessing from the gods. However, there are those that remembered the old fairy tales from long ago, and wondered if perhaps there were dragons living amongst us that were mating with humans, and then giving up their offspring to avoid being discovered.

As the years went by, the Dragonborn population increased, and soon they became as numerous as the other demihuman races. To this day there are still those that look on Dragonborn with awe, though the number of these people has diminished as time has gone on.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Genuine fear behind spoiler:
    Not as much as I am over the possibly crazy halfing with a penchant for kneecapping with a morningstar.
    Admus will have you know he's quite... enthusiastic about his line of work, capping [strike]foo's[/strike] villains in the name of great [strike]vengeance[/strike] justice. Also, it's a flail (and triple-headed to boot), not a morning star [morning stars are now two handed weapons in 4th Ed., which means halflings can't wield them. >:C grumblegrumble]

Case in point:

Morning Star:
    morningstar%255B1%255D.jpg

Triple Headed flail:
    PAX-3M.jpg

TiamatZ on
    edited April 2011
    Character background and such added. Trying to keep it non-specific since I'm not sure of all the details of the world.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm such a sucker for old school modules. Placeholder for my interest. I'll build a character when I get access to my builder tonight...

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited April 2011
    Some background information on a few figures important to the current state of the Flanaess:

Prince Thrommel - Grand Marshall of Furyondy and Provost of Veluna
    Grand Marshall of Furyondy, Provost of Veluna, and Betrothed of Jolene of Veluna, Thrommel is an imposing man. Standing well over six feet tall with golden hair, he is strikingly handsome and was beloved by all. In times of need he led Furyondy's armies, and in times of peace he moved about the land, lending aid where needed and exploring. It was also Thrommel who led the combined forces of Furyondy and Veluna against the Horde of Elemental Evil at the Battle of Emridy Meadows.

A few years after the climactic battle and the sacking of the Temple of Elemental Evil, Thrommel was abducted. He had been sailing down the Wild Coast when his ship was attacked by pirates. They took the Prince and destroyed the ship, with the only survivor being a crewman who made his way back to Furyondy to inform King Belvor of his son's abduction.

In the years that have passed since the abduction, no attempt at ransom has been made, and Thrommel's whereabouts are completely unknown.

Jolene – Daughter of Archcleric Hazen of Veluna
    Jolene was once a bright, shining star in the country of Veluna. She was a beautiful, charismatic woman who, though she was born a noble, took as much time as she could to be with the people of her country. The abduction of Prince Thrommel came just a few months before they were to be wed, and the news crushed Jolene's spirits. She's now a shadow of her former self, and has become quite reclusive. She still holds out hope that Thrommel will be released and returned to her, but with each passing day the weight of her station, and the advancements of other suitors, take their toll.

Countess Tillahi – Ambassador from Celene
    The Countess is tall for an elf, with a serious demeanor and lacking any sense of humor at all. She is the definition of "all business". She also carries herself with an air of superiority, especially towards races other than elves and eladrin. Tillahi resides in the Court of Celene, but routinely travels to Furyondy and Veluna as an ambassador and diplomat. Despite her obvious disdain for other races, her skills as a shrewd conversationalist make her a perfect negotiator when handling the affairs of elves among the realm of man.

Several weeks ago, the Countess left with her bodyguard and a pair of servants from Verbobonc to head back to Enstad, the capital city of Celene. Somewhere along the way the entire party disappeared. There have been no clues as to what happened, but the royal court of Celene has become concerned to the point that there have been veiled accusations implicating the Viscount of Verbobonc in the disappearance.

Bannor Verith – Viscount of Verbobonc
    The Viscount is an engaging and compelling figure who is supported by the full will of the people. Throughout his tenure as Viscount, which has lasted now for close to 30 years, Verbobonc has grown significantly in both population and influence. The Viscount is tasked with not only caring for Verbobonc itself, but being a mediator between the surrounding nations of Furyondy, Veluna, Ulek and Celene. For the most part, the current viscount is able to not only balance the wants and needs of these countries (He was, in fact, the one who introduced Prince Thrommel of Furyondy to Jolene of Veluna), but also ensure that the people of Verbobonc itself are always accounted for. He also was the leading voice urging all of the good nations to come together to defeat the forces of the Temple of Elemental Evil before they grew to enough of a force to threaten the stability of the Flanaess.

News of the abduction of Thrommel came as a severeblow to the Viscount's credibility, since it happened in lands that were supposed to be secured by his armies. He was quick to address rising concerns over the safety of the lands and seas, increasing the presence of military forces on the Wild Coast and launching a full-scale search for the Prince, lifting the spirits of the populace. After a few years without any further attacks, and no results on their search, the Viscount called the troops back to the city. Despite the absence of the Prince, things returned to normalcy.

Now, with the disappearance of the Countess, the Viscount faces another wave of criticism and unrest. This time, however, there are questions not only from within the human nations, but also from their elven allies to the south, and all fingers are pointing in his direction.

Zuggtmoy - Demon Queen of Fungus
    Zuggtmoy was the mastermind behind the building of the Temple of Elemental Evil, and its use as a base of operations for her attempted conquest of the Flanaess. She commanded her troops from deep within the Temple, relying on her generals to handle battle situations while she remained inside. When the Temple forces were defeated and scattered at the Battle of Emridy Meadows, the forces of Good sealed her deep inside the Temple, where she hasn't been heard from again.

Rumors abound as to her actual physical appearance, since she was never one to show herself. Some say she resembles an amalgamation of every kind of fungus and ooze. Others say that she is a gigantic, blue-skinned demonic female with long sharp claws and a lower body made up of tendrils of fungoid matter. Regardless of her appearance, she has started to fade from memory in the years since the Temple was overthrown.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    I just wanted to say thank you for the background information posts. They're a great help and are seriously whetting my appetite.
    Not for small children, thank you very much. ;-)

3seed on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How would you feel about a kobold character, by the way? I was thinking of writing up/drawing (love designing characters) a nifty kobold druid. Perhaps in towns where cutlery would be thrown at him on sight, he could go in beast form as the party's pet/companion. Assuming kobolds are even seen in the area.

TheBog on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    school.

Clangeddin Silverbeard is one of my favorite old-school dwarven gods :). There's definitely room in the cosmology for some of the lesser gods to be worshipped, although those coming from a divine power source would probably want to stick to the major dieties, since those are the ones detailed in the various source books.

Thanks, it's good to know I didn't go too far. It just seemed like a nice find while I was doing research. I wouldn't have brought it up for a cleric or anything. Although, if you'd allow that, I still have this Priest of Knu'kle-ra, Gawd of the Wall-Climbers all rolled up...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2011
    After much debate over which character to go with, I went with the "tragic" one (although he ended up as something much more complex). I've never played a Greyhawk module, and I'm one other PbP Adventure (where I play a cowardly leader with a court jester's hat). Without further adieu, I give you;

Otinan Arborshade, Eladrin Wizard

Background:
    "Fate. Such a vile word."
    Otinan first heard of fate in a legend, as many children did. It was an old tale, illustrated on a great and old tapestry hanging from the wall outside the warrior's academy, just above an old book that told the sacred tale. It spoke of a great warrior who would slay an impostor, a demon in disguise bringing misfortune to their home, on the night of a full moon. Most thought it was little more than a way to get boys to pick up the sword (and the end bits were hidden from view anyway), but Otinan loved it regardless. In fact, he had a great love for adventure stories in general, and the endings were his favorite parts. Whenever the chips were down and the group of adventurers looked doomed, fate (or destiny, as it was sometimes called) would swoop in and save the day. Although Otinan eventually tired of adventure stories (perhaps because he read them all?), he never quite lost his love of the greatest hero of any story; fate.

As Otinan grew up in the Valley of the Mage, it was clear that he was a little strange...even by Eladrin standards. Although a few things contributed to this (such as his cantrips appearing strange and otherworldly), this effect was mostly due to his luck...or rather everyone else's lack of it. It seemed as though someone would always trip during a race or screw up their incantation in a practice duel, allowing Otinan to win by default. Perhaps fate was looking out for him? People would accuse him of cheating, but he was quick to point out that the same misfortune struck him as well, just not nearly as often.

As he matured though, Otinan's "luck" became less of a convenience and more of a danger. His friends' spells would misfire while he was around, injuring innocent people. Vital supplies would take days longer to gather due to mishaps...but only if he was searching too. The worst was reserved for Otinan's enemies, however, as it seemed that anyone who even mildly annoyed him was subject to some kind of retribution. After a while Otinan started to see it too, wondering what horrible force was causing all of this. For a moment it crossed his mind that destiny itself was behind his aura of misfortune, but such thoughts were silly. "Fate" didn't exist outside of dusty old tomes and the songs of bards! Otinan probably would've gone on believing that for the rest of his days, had the Elders of the Valley not reached a decision on what to do with him.

It was Otinan's 110th birthday, and the moon was full in the sky as he walked to the entrance of the Valley. He had planned to leave early that morning, but his friends had distracted him with requests (from a distance, of course) all day. He was finally about to leave when his mother called out to him, asking to wish him goodbye. As he turned around to see her, he felt a strong blow to the back of his head and fell unconscious, the ground rushing up to meet him as he drifted away...

He awoke near the Valley's closest connection to the Feywild, the the energies of the realm floating like green mist in the air. He was in a large ornate room, the ceiling made of glass to let in the moonlight. It was a dueling platform, and his friends and family looked on at him with bated breath. It was only after he realized his hands were bound behind him that he saw the warrior. He wore a full suit of magic resistant armor and pointed his sword at Otinan like someone in a badly written adventure story. "I will slay you, vile demon, and bring peace to our people! Yaaaaah!" As he begin his charge, all the color drained out of Otinan's face as he remembered his favorite story from all those years ago. The very same tapestry now hung on the wall behind the charging warrior... with a decapitated Otinan at the very end.

Otinan's fear seemed to slow down time, allowing him to notice all the horrible details of the situation. His death being predicted before he was born, his is friends and family watching him die... It was at that moment that he realized the horrifying truth; fate wasn't a kind force or a helpful ideal, fate was a monster! A terrible beast that brainwashed his family and planned his doom years or possibly even centuries before his birth! Otinan had enough. He refused to play the demon to fate's crusade any longer! If he survived this attack he would twist, rend, rip, and tear, fate apart until the evils it had wrought were avenged! It was at that moment, with rage in his heart and fear in his eyes, that he saw his salvation hiding behind one of the pillars.

Just before the warrior ran Otinan through, a shimmer of light could be seen in the air. Mere moments before sword was put to flesh, a massive dirlagraun jumped the attacker from behind, raking open his neck and spraying Otinan with blood. The warrior's sword flew through the sky, cracking open the stake he was bound to and missing his neck by inches. The onlookers had just enough time to gasp in horror before eleven other black shapes materialized in the crowd and the slaughter began. Free of the stake and with his hands still bound, Otinan fled the ornate dome, trying to outrun the betrayal brought on by his family and friends.

Horrified, covered in blood, and still very much alive, Otinan ran faster than he ever had before. He plugged his ears as he ran though the sleeping town, trying in vain to block out the screams. He left the Valley that night, following the Davish River all the way to the town of Hochoch. He used what little money he had to purchase some new robes and supplies, camping outside of the town to avoid harming the townsfolk. He then traveled through the Dim Forest, briefly stopping in Thornward and Mitrik for food and water before vanishing as quickly as possible. His travels eastward eventually led him through Veluma City and down the river to Verbobonc, where he planned to once again restock and continue his journey eastward, traveling more for traveling's sake than to actually get somewhere.

Although years had gone by since he left the Valley, Otinan still felt his fiery hatred for fate itself deep within his soul. This fire burned even more intensely than usual as he neared Verbobonc, almost pulling him towards the city far off in the distance...

Character Portrait:
    4508134696_3e3f212a8a.jpg
    Character Appearance:
    Otinan is of average height and weight for an Eladrin, and still has the curious look of a wizard about him. Although he looks fairly normal under his robes, he dresses like a cultist to dissuade people from talking to him. His robes also hide the fact the he's an Eladrin from all but the most attentive people watchers, saving him from becoming a traveling circus act. He bears the standard green eyes and slender face of an Eladrin, and looks somewhat more athletic that you'd expect a wizard to be. This is probably because of his time spent traveling, as it's not cushy work wandering the realm.

Bp1580 on
    edited April 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    How would you feel about a kobold character, by the way? I was thinking of writing up/drawing (love designing characters) a nifty kobold druid. Perhaps in towns where cutlery would be thrown at him on sight, he could go in beast form as the party's pet/companion. Assuming kobolds are even seen in the area.

Unfortunately I don't think a kobold PC would work. I like the idea, and it presents a bunch of interesting opportunities, especially within the context of this adventure. However, you'd be automatically kill on sight (or at least capture on sight and imprison without listening to your pleas of being a good guy) in Verbobonc, where the adventure is going to start. Being able to change into a beast works to some degree, but pretty much puts you out of commission for all interactions in towns. In a play-by-post setting, that might mean that you're not able to really contribute for days. Sorry for the buzzkill :(

Illianthar on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As somone running Tomb of Horrors on the boards, getting into a game of ToEE (which I have never played or read before) seems too perfect to pass up.

Submission will be forthcoming.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif