As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thoughts on the HTC HD7?

Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
Hey, I'm thinking of getting a new phone, and I'm likeing the HD7, and it's on Amazon for 30 bucks. Course, I've not heard much about it, and while sites are saying it's good, not sure. Anyone had any experience with it? And if it's bad, what's a better phone?

FTC: honk.
FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
Ghostly Clockwork on

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You should probably pose this question to the WP7 thread.

From what I've seen, it's a very nice phone, given the lack of a slide-out keyboard (not everyone needs such a thing, of course). The colors are not quite as vivid as on the Dell Venue Pro, but they're still quite good, and the screen is bigger.

Synthesis on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The biggest issue with the HD7 is the screen, while huge is only a basic LCD and thus the colours are really washed out. This though is only when you compare it to other working phones now have super LCD and AMOLED screens which blow it out of the water. There are also issues with battery life but thats a given with all smartphones, especially ones with as large screen size. However there is a new version of the phone coming very soon with a super LCD screen and updated firmware, if you can wait I would look out for that.

Ziggymon on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hm....Thought about that, but I'm willing to bet it's gonna be a bit more than 30 bucks :-D I'll have to see it in stores to get an idea of what the screen is like. I like the size, but may look for one with a good camera. All the ones I've seen so far are just 5 MP

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Hm....Thought about that, but I'm willing to bet it's gonna be a bit more than 30 bucks :-D I'll have to see it in stores to get an idea of what the screen is like. I like the size, but may look for one with a good camera. All the ones I've seen so far are just 5 MP

On WP7 there is only the HTC trophy 7 that has 8MP camera from what I remember, could be wrong though.

IF im honest 5MP on a phone is a good enough camera unless you are getting a serious sized sensor for phones like the Nokia N8 or Satio that can take advantage of a 12MP camera. Ive seen a few 8MP cameras on a phone that have been just plain bad because it was an afterthought rather than a feature.

On the subject of a good deal what about this
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/03/xperia-x10-goes-on-sale-for-just-a-dollar-on-contract-gingerbre/

With the recent promise of gingerbread actually makes it a phone worth looking at now.

Ziggymon on
    edited April 2011
    Hmm...Nice, but I'm looking for WP7, I'll have to mention that to my dad though, he's got a Droid 2, loves Android OS.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Camera wise, I'd be more concerned about making sure you don't get a WP7 with a shitty flash, rather than a 8MP camera.

My Venue Pro is really not idea for taking pictures anywhere dark. In good lighting? It's perfectly fine for a cell phone camera.

Synthesis on
    edited April 2011
    HD7 has a two-LED flash, so that's good, I suppose :)

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png