As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    New release: Might and Magic 8 - $5.99

Catshade on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That one was terrible right? I never played it but for some reason I'm thinking 7 was the last "real" one.

Sir Carcass on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That one was terrible right? I never played it but for some reason I'm thinking 7 was the last "real" one.

Nine was the terrible one. Eight was okay, but acquiring a dragon made some bits of it too easy.

RMS Oceanic on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    8 is the game I bought after having played 6 and 7 and then went "I've... seen this before."

I never played a lot of it, but I'm sure it's fine. 9 was an abomination, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, yeah, I'm thinking of 9. I may have to pick this up then, since it's the only one (other than the ones after it) that I don't own.

Sir Carcass on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought Blood when it was on sale a little while ago. I just finished episode 2 (Albeit on one difficulty lower than normal), and I'm really loving it so far. It's a great game, though I'm not really used to the build engine when not using a source port.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought Blood when it was on sale too. Haven't played it yet, though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you enjoy stuff like H. P. Lovecraft and Evil Dead then Blood is like the best thing ever times a million.

Drake on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Serious Sam FE is on sale today for 2.39.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Enlight Software Games up to 60% Off

Loving and hating this at the same time.

Love because there's a couple of games that I want. (Seven Kingdoms 2, Capitalism 2, Warlords Battlecry 3)

Hate because it's another one of those 'up to' sales where you get less if you don't buy all of them. And added to that I feel 5.99 each (at 40% for Cap 2 and Battlecry) is still quite a bit to pay for games this old.

Definitely getting Seven Kingdoms 2 though, hmmm

Pheace on
    edited March 2011
    Today's new release is....WTF, Rayman?! Never heard of a PC release before...

Catshade on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really? I played the DOS version back in the day.

Glal on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now that is a random game, never knew it was on PC either. Hmm, undecided... I think I'm spoiled by modern platformers at the moment

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love a good hand-drawn game. Might be low-res, but it's got soul.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Today's new release is XIII, an obscure cel-shaded FPS.

Catshade on
    edited March 2011
    I got that with a video card way back. It's a pretty fun game, and has Adam West.

Sir Carcass on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I associate XIII with the first PC I ever built, because it was one of the first demos I downloaded on that thing. Seemed neat, but it got mediocre reviews and I stayed away.

SteevL on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't exactly call XIII obscure by any means, since I recall that it got a lot of coverage in gaming mags both before and at it's release.

Silpheed on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Didn't David Duchovny voice the main character? It wasn't exactly obscure. There was quite a bit of press surrounding it, and it came to multiple platforms.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I distinctly remember most reviews mentioning Duchovny's voice acting being unimpressive.

SteevL on
    edited March 2011
    I don't think that Duchovny is able to speak in any other way than a monotonous drone.

Silpheed on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    XIII has some fun stuff going on. I used to have it on the XBox. I'm getting this at some point, for sure.

It really does the comic book thing well, and has some neat mechanics.

Drake on
    edited March 2011
    For $5.99 I'll give it a go, for sure.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    XIII was alright, but it ended on the most ridiculous cliffhanger. Also, the gameplay was pretty refreshing at the time because it found ways to break up the run and gun. Now in days, I can't imagine it holds up anymore, and it probably feels pretty mediocre.

I'd probably still snag it on a sale.

HadjiQuest on
    edited March 2011
    Every now and again I have the urge to play older style FPS. The last one took me from Red Faction 1 to No One Lives Forever, with a few in between. Although I'm not in that mood now, I'm sure I'll be hankering for it soon enough if it works on my netbook.

For full disclosure I haven't played a modern FPS since Modern Warfare and even though I kinda enjoyed it, I'm more of 90's style run'n'gunner.

You know, thinking about that, I'm pretty sad that Criterion's Black never got a PC release. I'd like to play that sometime again in the future

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are either of the Icewind Dale games worth picking up?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited April 2011
    Ma, I really wish that GoG would snag the rights for Summoner. I recall having a lot of fun with that game before the discs were stolen along with my first PC when I was younger.

Silpheed on
    edited April 2011
    I just picked up Temple of Elemental Evil. Let's see how this is....

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Minor SecondMinor Second Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I got it a week ago and prefer Troikas engine against Biowares. The story isn't as good but it's not the games strength fortunately.

Just make sure you get the latest Circle of Eight bugfix and content mod (should be 6.0.0NC) before you start a campaign for reals.

Also learn to save

alot

Minor Second on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you play RPGs for the tactical combat and are familiar enough with D&D to powergame the numbers.

Glal on
    edited April 2011

I got it a week ago and prefer Troikas engine against Biowares. The story isn't as good but it's not the games strength fortunately.

Just make sure you get the latest Circle of Eight bugfix and content mod (should be 6.0.0NC) before you start a campaign for reals.

Also learn to save

alot

Does the GOG version include the bug fixes by default?

Uselesswarrior on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Ma, I really wish that GoG would snag the rights for Summoner. I recall having a lot of fun with that game before the discs were stolen along with my first PC when I was younger.
    I thought I was the only one that liked the Summoner games!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Also learn to save

alot

Does the GOG version include the bug fixes by default?

They only ever patch to the latest official patch; Circle of Eight is a fan patch, so you'll need to get it separately.

freakish light on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, not falling for this again.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1117/dotemu41111.png

But he is persistent, I'll give him that.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    If you play RPGs for the tactical combat and are familiar enough with D&D to powergame the numbers.

I don't powergame or minmax or any of that shit and I also enjoyed the Icewind Dale games.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, I think the point of the Icewind Dales games is that they have next to no story, but each battle is tough. If you're not a min maxer, then you must not be adverse to hitting the space bar every couple of seconds to micromanage your parties abilities.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the game is great, it's just mainly about using your abilities effectively.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The IWd games are fun if you don't min/max...

after a point. Getting through the first sections even with min/maxing is super hard. After that it gets just super fun.

Once you get to mages and priests casting every turn, you're hitting space a million times a second anyways so yeah... same thing.

Khavall on
  • NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one that liked the Summoner games!

Heh I have some fond memories of playing multiplayer and the music/atmosphere was pretty good. Went to go vote for it on Wanted list but I already had, yay!

Nathrak on
  • SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited April 2011
    Icewind Dale is just good RPGing at its most basic. Going into dungeons and killing mans and getting loots. The graphics, sound, and general presentation are fantastic and the battles are pretty much the best on the infinity engine if you're a fan of that. I would highly recommend them.

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Icewind Dale is just good RPGing at its most basic. Going into dungeons and killing mans and getting loots. The graphics, sound, and general presentation are fantastic and the battles are pretty much the best on the infinity engine if you're a fan of that. I would highly recommend them.

Sounds like the very opposite of Planescape: Torment, then.

Mortal Sky on