As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Long standing issue with Best Buy, do I have any legal standing?

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Best Buy can't find its own ass to help a customer with both hands and a Best Buy branded GPS.

So here is my issue. A few months back this happened. Spent several months dealing with it, even bumped into an older guy that overheard me talking about my issue in a local electronics shop who claimed he was a BB exec and was appalled by my story. He asked for my contact info and swore that he would personally see to my being helped, then he asked my ethnicity after seeing my very long name, and conjectured that I must be a terrorist then when finding out where I'm from (you have no idea how it feels to my people to be called that, but I kept my composure and gritted plastic smile). I never heard back from him btw.

Flash forward a few months, I'm still a bit burnt on Best Buy, but It's December and I have a bunch of birthday and early Christmas gift cards for BB so I decide to make a purchase. I bought a 3D PC montor, mainly because it was on sale and I had a fist full of gift cards. The first one comes and has dead pixels on it. I call up BB and they send out a replacement. I take back the first one only to find out that the replacement also has dead pixels. I call them up and they send out a second replacement. The third monitor arrives and before I can take back the second one I hook up the third one and it too is defective. I call up BB and they say they are sending out a 4th one. I try to take back the second one, but since I called up about the third one before taking back the second one apparently their system won't let me take back one at a time, I have to return all the monitors in their system slated to be returned. That doesn't work for me because the way I had things set up was that I would basically use the defective but still working monitor until the next one arrived and then take back the defective one and swap them out, that way I wouldn't be left without a monitor. The people in the store just told me to hold onto the second and third one till the 4th came and then bring them back together. Ok then, so I start playing the waiting game. After a couple weeks the 4th had not come yet, which is weird because the couple arrived within a couple days of being sent out. I call up BB and they say that the monitor was sent out and I should have received it by then, they start and investigation with BB as well as UPS. Flash forward a few more weeks and a few more calls, I come to find out that BB just simply had its head up its ass and accidentally thought that the third monitor was the 4th and that they had never sent out a 4th monitor.

This is where things get interesting, it has been nearly 4 months now since this whole thing began and now we have figured out that BB never sent out that 4th monitor and I still don't have a non defective monitor. So I'm talking to a BB CSR and she tells me they can't send out another monitor. I ask why pray tell, and she explains that they can't just keep sending me monitors and monitors until I finally get one that isn't defective, cause they will lose money that way. Weird concept though, that a customer would want something to work completely as advertised and not be damaged in anyway before they pay for it. I ask what we could possibly do at this point, and this is when BB did the best thing I have ever heard them do for a customer that had been burned so hard. She said, "Listen we can't just keep sending you monitors until you get a working one, that is costing us too much. If you just drop this nearly 4 month issue and let us close out the case once in for all, we'll refund your money and let you keep the 2 defective but working monitors you have now." I was a bit shocked to hear it, so I spent the next few minutes making absolutely certain that what I heard was true and she verified several times that yes it was. I said absolutely, I can live with a few dead pixels and 4 months of hell if you let me keep the monitors. She told me that my money would be refunded and that my cards were being reissued and I could expect to get them in 1-2 weeks.

Just over 2 weeks later I call up BB and ask them about the status of the gift cards since I have not gotten them yet, and that is when a bombshell dropped. I explained the whole story to them and they began to explain to me that no the last CSR couldn't have possibly said what she did, there is no way they will allow that, they want their damn monitors back, and I won't be seeing a dime of my money back until I do. My heart sank, but I'm not one to give up easily. I spoke with the manager who basically said the same thing, but I told him to pull the call records if he had to and listen to them so he could hear his own service people tell me what they did. He said he would send it up the ladder and it will take them about a week or two to pull that information, which frankly I said was a drop in the bucket compared to the past 4 months.

Now I don't exactly have high hopes from what I'm going to hear back from them, but I'm going to fight for what's right and fair. If they get back to me and tell me to pound sand with zero compensation for the crap that I've been putting up with, is there anything I can legally do? I'm going to send my story to the Consumerist, and try an EECB if things go badly, but I'm wondering if there are any other steps I should look into. This is pretty much a last straw for me and about to kill any drive I could ever have to ever shop at BB again.

Edit: Forgot to add one important detail. Not only did they not refund my money when they said they were, but they ended up over charging me like 50 bucks for the monitor.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A lawyer is going to end up costing you more than what everything is worth. I'd just wait this one out and pick something different out when you get your cards refunded.

Did you send (return) those monitors back yet? And why weren't you just using your old monitor instead of sitting on one monitor until the other arrived from the very beginning? It seems that probably aggravated the problem in their system and you could've expedited things by a huge margin had you sent (returned) things back as soon as you discovered the dead pixels.

Esh on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    A lawyer is going to end up costing you more than what everything is worth. I'd just wait this one out and pick something different out when you get your cards refunded.

Did you send those monitors back yet? And why weren't you just using your old monitor instead of sitting on one monitor until the other arrived? It seems that probably aggravated the problem in their system and you could've expedited things by a huge margin had you sent things back as soon as you discovered the dead pixels.

No I'm holding onto them until things are settled. I actually ordered the first monitor and traded in my current monitor with BB trade in program (not their trade back program, that thing is criminally bad) and got 80 bucks for a really old 22" monitor. Not a bad deal really. I sent them back as quickly as I could do a swap. I called up about a defective monitor, the next one came within 2 days, and then I'd take back the one it replaced. Really not all that more complicated, it was their end that fucked it up.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You didn't get it in writing and that was really goosey of you. Unless you get it in writing it's your word against theirs and you're unlikely to get jack crap. Oh, and likely, even if she did tell you that and they have the tapes there's likely some policy in place that their reps can't authorize things beyond their authority. We had this policy at a couple stores I worked at, an employee could tell you that they'd give you the moon but if they didn't have the authority to then it wasn't a binding agreement of any sort.

VisionOfClarity on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You didn't get it in writing and that was really goosey of you. Unless you get it in writing it's your word against theirs and you're unlikely to get jack crap. Oh, and likely, even if she did tell you that and they have the tapes there's likely some policy in place that their reps can't authorize things beyond their authority. We had this policy at a couple stores I worked at, an employee could tell you that they'd give you the moon but if they didn't have the authority to then it wasn't a binding agreement of any sort.

How was I being goosey? And yeah I know it's my word against theirs, that's why I told them to pull the tapes, which I'm sure something will happen to if they see I'm right.

Oh shit I forgot to add some details to the OP, editing now.

The_Spaniard on
    edited March 2011

How was I being goosey? And yeah I know it's my word against theirs, that's why I told them to pull the tapes, which I'm sure something will happen to if they see I'm right.

Because it's very easy for them to go 'Oops, looks like we don't have a tape of that call!' You ALWAYS get this kind of thing in writing so that you have written proof of the agreement. Especially for an unusual agreement with a big company. Instead, you're relying on them to find your evidence. That's why most consumer advocates recommend doing this kind of thing via email because then you have a paper trail. Instead, you have nothing unless BB helps you out.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited March 2011

Because it's very easy for them to go 'Oops, looks like we don't have a tape of that call!' You ALWAYS get this kind of thing in writing so that you have written proof of the agreement. Especially for an unusual agreement with a big company. Instead, you're relying on them to find your evidence. That's why most consumer advocates recommend doing this kind of thing via email because then you have a paper trail. Instead, you have nothing unless BB helps you out.
    Yeah I learned my lesson about trusting a company to its word. But the word goosey can mean any number of things so I didn't know if you were calling me stupid or a dick or what.

The_Spaniard on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So are you still going to go to Best Buy for major purchases? I think this and your iPod problem is enough to turn you away for good.

tardcore on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How exactly would you get an offer made over the phone in writing? It seems like it's just as easy to say "yes, sure, I promise we'll honor this deal, and I'll send you a written copy" and then not do anything. Then you're in the same boat - you have to tell them to look up the tapes.

Delzhand on
    edited March 2011
    You don't go to the phone in the first place if you're smart. You handle it via email and ask for a letter. And if you do call then you have it emailed to you while you're on the phone. To just call them up and take random BB CSR's word for it is not the right way to handle it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have you tried walking into a Bestbuy and talking to someone face to face?

MushroomStick on
    edited March 2011

That is as useless as peering into a toilet and talking to a turd face to face. I tried it with the ipod issue and got nowhere fast and a half.

The_Spaniard on
    edited March 2011

That is as useless as peering into a toilet and talking to a turd face to face. I tried it with the ipod issue and got nowhere fast and a half.

You could've watched them give you your refund on the spot instead of take their word for it, at least. I doubt you're going to get any extra compensation out of this, Bestbuy didn't make the monitors defective like they did your ipods.

MushroomStick on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

did you at least get the names of the Best Buy CSRs with whom you spoke over the phone?

this is an issue you can go to your state's attorney general or to the BBB with. if those don't work, you CAN try small claims court on your own without a lawyer.

thing is, you're gonna have to have pretty decently documented evidence...what exactly do you have proving this all went down?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    emailing best buy is pretty useless, as often they will "misread" your email and keep going back and forth, or they will simply not respond to your email beyond a form response. I think i'm going to buy one of those voice recorders that you can hook to your phone for when i have to call places in the future. Orbitz got me, Verizon got me, and Best Buy has gotten me when an associate tells me one thing, doesn't follow through and the next person i had to talk to was dumbfounded when they heard what a previous person had said. i wish i still had the number, but i had to go through the executive customer service( or something) line, when i went through my nightmare with them over my Washer and Drier. It took almost 6 months to get my items, and enough of a refund where i was not in a murderous rage

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Out of curiosity why didn't you ask for your money back after the second defective monitor and shop elsewhere?

Kyougu on
    edited March 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Out of curiosity why didn't you ask for your money back after the second defective monitor and shop elsewhere?

I'm wondering why he kept getting the same model of monitor.

MushroomStick on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I doubt anything comes of the tapes, if they do find the conversation they will claim she didn't have the authority. I would shoot for getting a cash refund (they of course demand store credit, but what good does that do you when all their products are defective and it has wasted over 4 months of your life) and returning all the monitors and walking away with the cash and the ability to go buy a decent monitor from someplace else.

On a side note: Can you not get a replacement for a defective product in store? I think for future instances with any physical electronics store I would take the defective product back to the brick and mortar store you bought it from and get a replacement from their inventory on the spot and for something like dead pixels, have them open the item up and try it out before you leave with it again.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited March 2011
    emailing best buy is pretty useless, as often they will "misread" your email and keep going back and forth, or they will simply not respond to your email beyond a form response. I think i'm going to buy one of those voice recorders that you can hook to your phone for when i have to call places in the future. Orbitz got me, Verizon got me, and Best Buy has gotten me when an associate tells me one thing, doesn't follow through and the next person i had to talk to was dumbfounded when they heard what a previous person had said. i wish i still had the number, but i had to go through the executive customer service( or something) line, when i went through my nightmare with them over my Washer and Drier. It took almost 6 months to get my items, and enough of a refund where i was not in a murderous rage

Check your state laws before doing this. In a lot of states you can't record the call without the other party's knowledge and they have the right to refuse to talk to you on a recorded line.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited March 2011

Check your state laws before doing this. In a lot of states you can't record the call without the other party's knowledge and they have the right to refuse to talk to you on a recorded line.

Are you sure its not just that one person in the conversation has to give permission (as in you can give the permission if you're in the conversation)? Otherwise, wouldn't any such evidence ever be void?

MushroomStick on
    edited March 2011

did you at least get the names of the Best Buy CSRs with whom you spoke over the phone?

this is an issue you can go to your state's attorney general or to the BBB with. if those don't work, you CAN try small claims court on your own without a lawyer.

thing is, you're gonna have to have pretty decently documented evidence...what exactly do you have proving this all went down?
    Well This is all hindsight stuff, I thought I was good, I thought I was taken care of and the issue was done, so I didn't bother to get names and all that other stuff I should have. But since BB documents every call, I told them to look at the records from the previous call for the name of the person that I talked to. CSR's are tied to the documentation of the calls they answer.

Yeah the only proof I have about the resolution is the tape, which BB has, but it's not hard to prove the rest, and that this issue has been going on for 4 months. I just need to show invoices and credit card statements.
    Yes, that's exactly why I always call. Calling will get you talking to somebody RIGHT NOW, as opposed to waiting a week or two for a copy paste reply that had nothing to do with your issue, if any reply at all, followed by another week or two wait while you tell them they didn't even read your email.
    Kyougu wrote: »

I'm wondering why he kept getting the same model of monitor.
    Several reasons. I would have gotten damn gift cards back for more than half the price of the order, so now I would have had to figure out what else I might have wanted from Best Buy. I really wanted that monitor, and it wasn't available in the physical store, as long as they kept giving me replacements till I got the right one I could live with it. I was kinda stuck because of the whole gift card thing. The reason I didn't get another model was because it was pretty much the only 3D monitor available at BB and it is well reviewed.
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    I doubt anything comes of the tapes, if they do find the conversation they will claim she didn't have the authority. I would shoot for getting a cash refund (they of course demand store credit, but what good does that do you when all their products are defective and it has wasted over 4 months of your life) and returning all the monitors and walking away with the cash and the ability to go buy a decent monitor from someplace else.

On a side note: Can you not get a replacement for a defective product in store? I think for future instances with any physical electronics store I would take the defective product back to the brick and mortar store you bought it from and get a replacement from their inventory on the spot and for something like dead pixels, have them open the item up and try it out before you leave with it again.
    I'm in California, very phone call recording unfriendly state. Though now I wonder, since they were recording me, is California a state that I could record back without telling them?

I couldn't ask for a store replacement because SoCal does not sell them in BB stores, only online.

The_Spaniard on
    edited March 2011
    I'm in California, very phone call recording unfriendly state. Though now I wonder, since they were recording me, is California a state that I could record back without telling them?
    You said you didn't write down names of the CSRs because they were recording so they must have told you they were recording the call. Also, no, if they didn't tell you they were taping and broke the law you don't get to break it too and not tell them you're taping. And if you gave them permission to record the call that is not at all the same as them giving you permission to tape the call.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited March 2011
    You said you didn't write down names of the CSRs because they were recording so they must have told you they were recording the call. Also, no, if they didn't tell you they were taping and broke the law you don't get to break it too and not tell them you're taping. And if you gave them permission to record the call that is not at all the same as them giving you permission to tape the call.

I think you misunderstood me. Any time you call a major company here they say, "Your call might/will be recorded for bla bla bla purposes, this is to ensure better customer service." So my question was here in CA if they say that then do I get to record too?

The_Spaniard on
    edited March 2011

I think you misunderstood me. Any time you call a major company here they say, "Your call might/will be recorded for bla bla bla purposes, this is to ensure better customer service." So my question was here in CA if they say that then do I get to record too?

No, because as I said you giving them permission to record your call is not the same thing as them giving you permission to record them. They have to know that you are recording the call and give permission. When the CSR gets on tell them you are recording the call and if they don't object you're fine.

Oh and IANAL, I just like covering my own ass so I don't try to argue on technicalities if I can do something and be firmly in the right.

VisionOfClarity on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, a company isn't going to keep sending you their products and it's ridiculous to assume that they will. After the second defective product, I would have asked for a refund and exercised other options. Requesting four individual monitors borders on the absurd.

The only thing you can do here is to keep playing their game, keep insisting that you should be entitled to a refund or a satisfactory product, and be sure to continue proclaiming that you are dissatisfied with their service.

Slider on
    edited March 2011
    So my mom says, they already over charged my credit card, why don't I tell them to eff off and just keep both monitors. If they try to charge me again I can just contest it with my credit card. I don't know about that course of action, exactly how well would that work out?

The_Spaniard on
    edited April 2011
    So my mom says, they already over charged my credit card, why don't I tell them to eff off and just keep both monitors. If they try to charge me again I can just contest it with my credit card. I don't know about that course of action, exactly how well would that work out?

You'd be stealing, how well do you think that would work? If you keep both monitors they would have ever right to charge you for two monitors. The simple thing to do would be to send them both back and get your money refunded and be done with it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Realistically a lawyer in this case is not an option at all.

I recently had an issue with a real estate transaction (not major but would equate to a few thousand dollars on a house purchase so worth pursuing). My lawyer basically just wrote 2 or 3 letters back and forth to the other guy's lawyer, no court, arbitration, anything, and the other party settled for what we asked for. Simple, right? That was 500 dollars.

If the value of your dispute isn't at least $1000, you have pretty much nothing at all to gain from legal action unless there's enough of a problem that you can get other people in on a class action.

Jealous Deva on
  • Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cancelling the credit charge is only going to prevent Best Buy from being paid for the 2 monitors that you continue to have. If you do that they likely will send it to collections and that's going to fuck up your credit.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What was defective about the monitors? Was it a few dead pixels? Most companies have a policy that any number of dead pixels less than a certain point, say 12, does not count as defective and they will not replace.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited April 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    What was defective about the monitors? Was it a few dead pixels? Most companies have a policy that any number of dead pixels less than a certain point, say 12, does not count as defective and they will not replace.

Each one had a small number of dead pixels, when I called up about it BB didn't ask details, the fact that there were dead pixels was enough for them. Even if it wasn't, I could still return the monitor anyway and get my money back within the 30 days. Frankly I'm not going to spend over 450 dollars on a monitor and have dead pixels on it.

The_Spaniard on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You should return the monitors to a store, take credit if need be you can always buy games and movies there

This is a manufacturer's defect you probably would have gotten a better result after the first return with the maker.

Also: the guy you were talking to in the other electronics store was probably not a real bb exec and I would not even think about that guy any more.

Sucks that he gave you the business about being a terrorist tho (I assume you're Catalan? You should have told him since he was white he must be a serial killer. . . )

as for what's right and fair ... dude, you're not entitled to something just because some tired and/or dumb headset biscuit in a call center offers it too you. It sucks, but that's definitely not any kind of agreement or contract. woulda been sweet, though.

JohnnyCache on
    edited April 2011
    You should return the monitors to a store, take credit if need be you can always buy games and movies there

This is a manufacturer's defect you probably would have gotten a better result after the first return with the maker.

Also: the guy you were talking to in the other electronics store was probably not a real bb exec and I would not even think about that guy any more.

Sucks that he gave you the business about being a terrorist tho (I assume you're Catalan? You should have told him since he was white he must be a serial killer. . . )

as for what's right and fair ... dude, you're not entitled to something just because some tired and/or dumb headset biscuit in a call center offers it too you. It sucks, but that's definitely not any kind of agreement or contract. woulda been sweet, though.
    To answer your question Basque.

Anyway I had a few friends over last night and dubious legal advice was given by them. They all seem to be in agreement that, they sent me the product and charged me for it. Now I can legally keep it even if they undercharged me, and they have no grounds to demand the product back. If they send me to collections I can contest with my credit card and sue them. Doesn't sound right to me, but they all said the same thing. Mind you they said it would be a huge pain in the ass, but legally I'm in the clear to keep them.

The_Spaniard on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Anyway I had a few friends over last night and dubious legal advice was given by them. They all seem to be in agreement that, they sent me the product and charged me for it. Now I can legally keep it even if they undercharged me, and they have no grounds to demand the product back. If they send me to collections I can contest with my credit card and sue them. Doesn't sound right to me, but they all said the same thing. Mind you they said it would be a huge pain in the ass, but legally I'm in the clear to keep them.

Are they lawyers? No? Then don't listen to them.

Esh on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that's not a battle you're going to win with your credit card company, and believe me you do not want to piss those people off - it can fuck up your life for decades

Don't be a silly goose, return them and use the credit for something else

Usagi on
    edited April 2011

Dubious: du·bi·ous/ˈd(y)o͞obēəs/Adjective
    1. Hesitating or doubting.
    2. Not to be relied upon; suspect

Why would you ever want to act upon legal advice that is dubious?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Being an employee of Best Buy, and in fact, still wearing my blue-shirt from my shift earlier today, I can say that some people at BB can and are embarrassing and unprofessional. Sorry to see you've had a consistent run in with the type.

Legal stuff will just complicate things even more and end up costing you more to 'fix' the issue than to try and level with BB and find some sort of solution.

First off, why this particular monitor? And did you try any methods to try and fix the dead pixels? I know I had a few stuck and unresponsive pixels when I first got my monitor. I called up HP and they told me that the actual liquid crystal compound can take time to actually settle. They said to warm up the monitor and give it something to display for a bit. If it still was stuck, give them a ring back.

I just put on Gone in 60 Seconds and by the end of the movie, most of the pixels were fine. A few more essentially fixed themselves after more run time.

Lucky Cynic on
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You don't want this to go to collections. You're essentially gambling your credit score away on the fact that you can win in a lawsuit against a huge corporation. That's of course, not even considering the fact that you really shouldn't be eager to get yourself in a situation where you have to sue someone. It's not exactly entertaining or relaxing.

You really need to work this out with Best Buy. Keeping the monitors will just result in a heap of trouble for you or a ruined credit rating (or both, if you lose the lawsuit).

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
    edited April 2011

Dubious: du·bi·ous/ˈd(y)o͞obēəs/Adjective
    1. Hesitating or doubting.
    2. Not to be relied upon; suspect

Why would you ever want to act upon legal advice that is dubious?
    Where did I say I was going to act upon it? I called it dubious because I flat out didn't trust it.
    Being an employee of Best Buy, and in fact, still wearing my blue-shirt from my shift earlier today, I can say that some people at BB can and are embarrassing and unprofessional. Sorry to see you've had a consistent run in with the type.

Legal stuff will just complicate things even more and end up costing you more to 'fix' the issue than to try and level with BB and find some sort of solution.

First off, why this particular monitor? And did you try any methods to try and fix the dead pixels? I know I had a few stuck and unresponsive pixels when I first got my monitor. I called up HP and they told me that the actual liquid crystal compound can take time to actually settle. They said to warm up the monitor and give it something to display for a bit. If it still was stuck, give them a ring back.

I just put on Gone in 60 Seconds and by the end of the movie, most of the pixels were fine. A few more essentially fixed themselves after more run time.
    I tried all the fixes. The rub method, the website with the seizure causing test pattern, extended use, etc. This particular monitor because it was the only 3D bundle that BB offered.

The_Spaniard on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why not use a 120hz refresh rate monitor and then use nVidia's 3D thing instead? Essentially that would make any high refresh rate monitor 2 displays at 60hz which the glasses then form into 1 3D image.

I guess the question now is what is your goal? It seems its out of reach to get a working monitor at the advertised price, so why not try and tug the string at the seams and undo everything back to square one, as it were?

Lucky Cynic on
    edited June 2011
    I won I won I won, I didn't lose I won.. oh hell...
    Birdman-reducto.gif

I am necroing this thread to let you guys know, that after 7 months I considered this a bitter dead issue. They never got back to me like they said they would and I had just given up. But then recently The Consumerist put up some contact info for Best Buy's executive customer service. So as a final what the hell attempt I sent them an email. The very next day I got a phone call with no arguing no drawn out conversation just a simple, "You'll be getting a full refund in the next couple of days." They are even refunding me cash for all the giftcards I used. So yay, issue resolved, I won, it's all over, I get my money back and the monitors. :D

The_Spaniard on