As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SC2: Dreamhack and NASL tomorrow! You will never get any work done!

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Robman wrote: »
    Euphemon wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Evangir wrote: »
    Damn, I thought after beating Huk that IdrA would get his shit together and play a good tournament. Instead, he does that. Worst attitude in gaming. Just shameful.
    Pretty much.

This is straight up wrong. TLO proxied 2 rax and Idra didn't have enough to hold it when the game lagged. Idra forfeiting instead of forcing the refs to regame shows class, and a better attitude than he's probably ever shown before.

That is professional as hell, and I give him credit for that.

That notwithstanding, I think eSports in general needs to stop emulating wrestling. There's no reason for the players to be such violent thunderqueefs to each other - if the game itself doesn't provide the drama then you're doing it wrong.

The correct GM response to losing in quake or CoD or any game other than SC2 is to walk over to your opponent and say "Nice work, faggot"

Seriously, there's a Live on Three where a past Quake pro uses those words exactly.

SC2 BM is "Those were Halluc" followed by leaving. Or leaving early. Or leaving without a "gg"

SC2 is still the gentleman's game.

Khavall on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As much as everyone does complain about BM, it is fairly telling that a LACK of manners is considered bad manners in SC2. A lack of manners would be good manners in any other game.

Dhalphir on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fellahs, saying that it's nice to be farted at instead of being punched in the balls is being damned by faint praise.

Robman on
    edited April 2011
    If the standard greeting was to be punched in the balls then sure being farted at would be awesome.

Man, look at touchdown celebration, and that's not even winning the whole game.

Khavall on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh I forgot about all the bitching about MLG. Man I am glad I missed all that.

Anzekay on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In FPS games, you can at least walk over and teabag the lifeless body of your vanquished foe. In SC2, we are afforded no such luxuries. We have to use words, dancing, and summoning mining robots from the heavens.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    5 ZvZs (games) in the entire replay pack, rarer than baby eagles caught on camera

redraptor on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The best bm was

:)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    while i agree that thunderqueefs is a pretty great word

i'm kind of mixed on bm being a thing with starcraft

while sure, as a professional sport, it should definitely find a way that this stuff comes out in games naturally, and not through words and actions by the players outside of the game (and in game chat obscenities don't count)

but in terms of how starcraft has grown, with bnet and with how the communities have formed

its kind of like a roots of it type of thing?

i don't know

when i think about it honestly, i'm quite split on the issue. however, if organizations care about it, they should implement enforced rules about in game chat and such (like in korea, where you can only type in like glhf, gg, ww, and ppp or else you get disqualified)

not enforcing rules really isnt the route to professionalism if that is your end goal

Have you watched professional sports ever? Shit talking happens in literally every league for every sport; it is part of competition.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited April 2011
    hellions have less dps against non-light than an scv?

peacekeeper on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm so BM and I can't help it. Mostly because I lost the placement match and it put me a higher platinum than I was, and I've lost every subsequent game and my rank hasn't moved at all, perpetually forcing me to face better players

/bitter

override367 on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Trus wrote: »

while sure, as a professional sport, it should definitely find a way that this stuff comes out in games naturally, and not through words and actions by the players outside of the game (and in game chat obscenities don't count)

but in terms of how starcraft has grown, with bnet and with how the communities have formed

i don't know

when i think about it honestly, i'm quite split on the issue. however, if organizations care about it, they should implement enforced rules about in game chat and such (like in korea, where you can only type in like glhf, gg, ww, and ppp or else you get disqualified)

not enforcing rules really isnt the route to professionalism if that is your end goal

Have you watched professional sports ever? Shit talking happens in literally every league for every sport; it is part of competition.

And in quite a few of them, there is sometimes penalties for players who step over the line and shit talk too much.

Anzekay on
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Guys...I'm seriously considering playing at MLG Columbus. I can give about 1 billion reasons why it is a bad idea, can anyone come up with any good ones?

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i guess... the small chance of glory?

and rubbing elbows with the pros?

PoolCue on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Saaruto wrote: »
    Guys...I'm seriously considering playing at MLG Columbus. I can give about 1 billion reasons why it is a bad idea, can anyone come up with any good ones?

Watching Idra rage when you proxy him?

Mvrck on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited April 2011
    Saaruto wrote: »
    In FPS games, you can at least walk over and teabag the lifeless body of your vanquished foe. In SC2, we are afforded no such luxuries. We have to use words, dancing, and summoning mining robots from the heavens.

mvp has really ruined this because he does it every game once it's over, win or lose

Variable on
    edited April 2011
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Trus wrote: »

i don't know

And in quite a few of them, there is sometimes penalties for players who step over the line and shit talk too much.

But still... in NASCAR The victory lap/donut/backflip is normal. In football excessive celebration on one score alone is penalty. In communist football everyone pretends to be a fairy to make the rules work in their favor. In curling....... if you don't say "I'm sorry" you get penalized or something.

SC2 is the most gentlemanly of sports.... any celebration of winning is considered awful, and any anger at losing is considered awful.

People watch NASCAR for explosions, some people watch baseball or fights. People watch football for people running into each other, and people watch hockey for checking.

IdrA may be sometimes a bitch, but he also gets people excited.

Khavall on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy shit Dover! Congratulations man!

Sceptre on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I asked this earlier, but I don't think I ever got an answer... Does anyone know who started that trend of naming the Zealot who guards a protoss wall-in "Bob"? I hear lots of casters calling him that.

Also, grats Dover!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2011
    I don't know who started it but you'll hear them say 'steve the scv' and 'peppy the probe' and stuff. don't know if it's something that really belongs to one person

but maybe I'm wrong

Variable on
    edited April 2011
    I would point the finger at husky

he seems like the kind of guy who would do that.

PoolCue on
    edited April 2011
    damn it peacekeeper

trolling me with this good female player

Variable on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The amount of times I have had lings rush past Bob and into my base because he was one mili-meter away from dead center of my choke has led me to serious doubts concerning Bob's job efficiency.

Edit: Great, now whenever something stupid happens with my Choke zealot, I'm ALWAYS going to be like "God DAMN it Bob..."

Sceptre on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hm.

I'm still in low silver, will probably be demoted to bronze when I play my first season 2 placement match.

I wonder... If I used the mineral-trick to send a drone through Bob, I'm curious how many protoss players at my level would fall for it and send Bob after it, opening the hole for my zerglings.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SorCSorC Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Hm.

I'm still in low silver, will probably be demoted to bronze when I play my first season 2 placement match.

I wonder... If I used the mineral-trick to send a drone through Bob, I'm curious how many protoss players at my level would fall for it and send Bob after it, opening the hole for my zerglings.

The mineral trick doesn't work on enemies anymore ... :P

SorC on
    11776-1.png
    edited April 2011
    do iiiiiiiiiit

PoolCue on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SorC wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Hm.

The mineral trick doesn't work on enemies anymore ... :P

It does.

They talked about patching it out but left it in for some reason.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couple of builds I've been trying to punish Terran bioballs without Colossi before they get up and going

repimg-33-200818.jpg

repimg-33-200819.jpg

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2011
    dhal if you've ever lost with the two builds you used against me tonight please show me

I'm at a loss. I could say I'm tired or that I never saw them but there's no way I know of to have more units than I did and I didn't come close.

bunkers become useless against force fields let alone the game where you had the void rays.

I tried to attack before there was a "critical mass" of sentries in game 2 but I couldn't break you, I felt like it was at least close to an even trade

not sure where I could fit in tech or how much it would have helped really. game 1 was over before I got payoff for it. game 2 might have been as well, or I'd have had even far less units, both of which = loss.

edit - ignoring that if I knew it was coming I could -maybe- do enough damage with something like a 3 rax open. but I'd never do that blind in a game and in fact invite the FE because it means I can take one as well.

eh I guess you got your expo down enough before me in game 2 that I can say it was that? I don't know. they didn't feel remotely close and it has me uncomfortable now.

tell me how to beat you. please. :D

Variable on
    edited April 2011
    just so it's known I normally get 3 rax and then fac/port and then add on rax

I got 5 rax in the first game first because I knew I was dealing with gateway heavy so I needed a lot of units

game 2 I got 7 rax because I saw the stargate and figured it was something similar or stronger so I just needed units. never done that before actually.

Variable on
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll watch the reps and give some pointers in a minute.

mEEksa on
    edited April 2011
    thanks meeks

maybe I just played really badly but it didn't feel like it. dhal has some great builds there though either way. quite nice.

I may go to bed, if so I'll read em in the morning

Variable on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just watched the first game. I think you do need Bunkers. Force Field reduces their effectiveness, yeah, but they're still extra HP for your units. It might be possible to scout that he is going Gateway-heavy, then cut the Missile Turrets out of your build, delay your Factory/Starport and put down more Bunkers + pull SCVs. You were even in supply but his army was worth 500 minerals and 1425 gas more than yours.

I don't think you played badly. I just think such an aggressive build is probably going to beat that kind of build (where you tech to Starport, get double Engineering Bays + Armory) if you don't scout it and cut back on stuff in order to defend.

His Corkiness on
    edited April 2011
    man i just watched the liquid interviews from dallas, they are a bunch of wierdos

peacekeeper on
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just some stuff I noticed after watching the first game:

-Your build was a bit spotty. 1rax expand into 3rax was fine, but you don't need those fourth and fifth barracks if you are macroing properly. The medivacs should have been out sooner, which are a great help to ferry units out of forcefields.
    -The second engi bay was too early. I know you like an upgrade heavy style of play but you can't afford it against strong timing attacks like that.
    -The biggest thing was engaging at the top of your ramp. You need to spread out along the open area at the bottom and minimize the effect of the forcefields.

mEEksa on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    man i just watched the liquid interviews from dallas, they are a bunch of wierdos
    The TLO interview is super funny.

815165 on
    edited April 2011
    I got the rax because I knew he was going heavy gateway, explained in the post above.

the first engi bay is because I needed detection. if a toss steals your gas it can quite often mean DTs. the second and the armory were because I thought he was double forging and if you don't keep up you lose. I didn't realize it was gonna be a timing at that point, specifically because I thought it was double forge (a complete mistake by me)

I'm not sure what spreading out does against FF? I know bunkers are some extra hp but stalkers+force fields destroy them so fast. I won't say they wouldn't have helped but I still don't think it's enough.

I am thinking ghosts would help but I have to work that in.

edit - do appreciate everything. maybe I overreacted and should have just tried a more standard getting my tech and throwing down some bunkers. I'm sure I'll have opportunity to practice against these so I'll try everything out. in the game though, not knowing what I was facing, it felt like the right response.

Variable on
    edited April 2011
    repimg-33-200831.jpg

replay of meeks crushing a 6gate blink attack.

Dhalphir on