As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wisconsin] Fake Democratic primary contenders ahoy!

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    Hopper and Kapanke are two of the three that have been getting the big targeting. Look for Alberta Darling's name to be next (and we can pretty safely assume there will be a 'next').

And that official filing means the workload for Kapanke's district can be moved into other districts where the extra bodies are needed, the fourth- or fifth-choice districts.

I can safely assume they've gone over the sig lists a couple times before filing to make sure they're not Mickey Mouse'd, right?
    If there is any national or state party involvement at all, this will be the case.

The pros know how to collect signatures.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I should hope, otherwise they're idiots. You've got over half the clock left over, you better be double-checking.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Today’s filing will trigger a 31-day review period during which the GAB determines that all signatures are sufficient. Kapanke can challenge signatures during the first 10 days.

Any insight on what is meant by "challenge" ?

As in: His people will have to review and challenge specific signatures, or can they just call a general 'bullshit' on the whole process to drag it out?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Today’s filing will trigger a 31-day review period during which the GAB determines that all signatures are sufficient. Kapanke can challenge signatures during the first 10 days.

Either party can petition a judge for an extension.

Spokesman Reid Magney said the GAB may ask for more time in order to minimize the number of special elections.

“We’re hoping for maybe a couple instead of 16,” he said.

Huh. I'm not sure what "ask for more time to minimize the number of special elections" means. "A couple" recall elections, as in two, has no chance of un-fucking the state. We need three, and not just three recall elections, three changes of power... so, depending on how nuts the various districts are, three to eight are needed.
    He means recalling four senators one week, and the other four the next week, instead of eight separate (and expensive) elections.

Captain Carrot on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Any insight on what is meant by "challenge" ?

As in: His people will have to review and challenge specific signatures, or can they just call a general 'bullshit' on the whole process to drag it out?

Individual sigs. Signature collection operations for initiatives and petitions usually plan on 10% of the signatures being invalid, whether from a right name with wrong address or a full-on Mickey Mouse, and account for that so they still hit the target. So it's probably no big deal, especially with so much time to get more if necessary.

big l on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know, I'm left wondering about the long term effects of what happens in wisconsin. If/when the democrats retake control of the senate and dismantle the governors initiative it's clear that walker's days are numbered but what I'm really curious about, is whether or not this could be a turning point for democrats on the national stage against Tax cuts, gutting the education budget and anti-union policies.

Gaddez on
    edited April 2011
    Gaddez wrote: »
    You know, I'm left wondering about the long term effects of what happens in wisconsin. If/when the democrats retake control of the senate and dismantle the governors initiative it's clear that walker's days are numbered but what I'm really curious about, is whether or not this could be a turning point for democrats on the national stage against Tax cuts, gutting the education budget and anti-union policies.

I just hope that it causes the legislators in other states to re-consider the sort of winner-take-all tactics that led Wisconsin to this point.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Either party can petition a judge for an extension.

Spokesman Reid Magney said the GAB may ask for more time in order to minimize the number of special elections.

“We’re hoping for maybe a couple instead of 16,” he said.

Huh. I'm not sure what "ask for more time to minimize the number of special elections" means. "A couple" recall elections, as in two, has no chance of un-fucking the state. We need three, and not just three recall elections, three changes of power... so, depending on how nuts the various districts are, three to eight are needed.
    He means recalling four senators one week, and the other four the next week, instead of eight separate (and expensive) elections.

This is going to be the right-wing's method of assault on this whole process, if they haven't started already. "The left is costing the state more money!" Which is true, but I mean... we wouldn't have to go through this if people had 1) a brain and 2) the ability to have some compassion. Even if it is true, though, it'll get exploded into sounding like way more than it actually will cost. Example: tape damage.

Henroid on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I just hope that it causes the legislators in other states to re-consider the sort of winner-take-all tactics that led Wisconsin to this point.

I fear that Democrats can be too timid to pounce on this with claws extended. They never want to go for the jugular with this sort of thing because they're afraid that they'll get smacked with it when the pendulum swings. What they don't seem to learn is that they'll get hit with it anyway, even if the Republicans have to make something up (which is basically what happened in 2010).

My true hope is that Obama's campaign team is taking comprehensive notes on just how fucking weird and wrong the current Republican state-side robber baron schemes are; some leadership will help throw a pounding on the Robbercans.

Dracomicron on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, I've already seen a couple articles to that effect. 'These recall elections are going to cost money! There's no money in the budget for that!'

The response, as you can plainly see, has been 'Well, you should have thought of that BEFORE you went crazy as a shithouse rat.'

By the way, who first went into a shithouse and determined that the rats within are a suitable benchmark to determine craziness? Was this part of a scientific study? 'A Report on the Comparative Mental Faculties of Rats in Shithouses to Rats in the General Population'.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    By the way, who first went into a shithouse and determined that the rats within are a suitable benchmark to determine craziness? Was this part of a scientific study? 'A Report on the Comparative Mental Faculties of Rats in Shithouses to Rats in the General Population'.

I'm betting it was federally funded. More government waste.

Tomanta on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, I've already seen a couple articles to that effect. 'These recall elections are going to cost money! There's no money in the budget for that!'

The response, as you can plainly see, has been 'Well, you should have thought of that BEFORE you went crazy as a shithouse rat.'

nuttier than a stucky's bar.

edit: ahahahhaahaha Cake Mania

Bravo Steam. Bravo

Xaquin on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I worked the election polls, voluntarily (and for school credit!) when Gray Davis was re-elected in California, which triggered the recall election that got Arnold in. When talk of the recall was coming up, my governement / econ teacher told us it was the perfect example of weighing out the cost of things (since we didn't think of the cost until she told us). On the one hand, it's money spent on something we should've done already. On the other, this guy isn't doing us any good. Funny how that turned out!

At any rate, trying to lump together the recall elections in as few instances as possible will help tremendously with the cost. So it definitely has been considered by those making it happen.

Edit - Oh yeah, unrelated, but that election I worked as also the first year electronic polling was being used, and all the people that came by our station loved it. That's what got me to start following politics really.

Henroid on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You mean, the sort of Republican tactics that have led Wisconsin to this point. You can accuse democrats of many things, but they are certainly not acting in a 'winner take all' manner.

I hope that the Democrats come back into power and say...

"OK, we'll be leaving the pay cuts in place as we do need to save money. We'll be restoring collective bargaining However we'll be raising taxes and closing corporate tax loopholes. In addition, we'll be hiring more teachers, and investing more money in the universities."

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    At which point Walker just vetos everything

We need a 2/3 majority to raise taxes now, btw

override367 on
    edited April 2011

I've said it before, un-fucking Wisconsin is going to take a very long time. Some of the fucking will be nigh permanent.

Dracomicron on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I've said it before, un-fucking Wisconsin is going to take a very long time. Some of the fucking will be nigh permanent.

Or a couple years. Recall Walker, and pass a bill making it 51% again.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited April 2011
    Derrick wrote: »

Or a couple years. Recall Walker, and pass a bill making it 51% again.

...because doing anything to make it easier to increase taxes is never extremely risky. That said, Wisconsin and Minnesota are places where we're willing to pay a little more if it's fair, so you may be right.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011
    I think dems are going to have a lot of clout in Wisconsin for a long while after this.

ESPECIALLY if it goes all the way to Walker being recalled.

Derrick on
    edited April 2011
    I think dems are going to have a lot of clout in Wisconsin for a long while after this.

There are basically two kinds of dominant Democrats in Wisconsin. The Herb Kohl/Jim Doyle amiable doofus and the Russ Feingold-style progressive badasses. Actually Bob LaFollette was from Wisconsin, too; he was labor/progressive but a Republican, before Republicans lost their souls.

Anyway, the problem is that folks like Kohl and Doyle frustrate Wisconsinites, because Packer jokes can only take you so far, and eventually you want someone competant.

I deeply hope that Feingold is able to run against Walker next year.

Dracomicron on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

There are basically two kinds of dominant Democrats in Wisconsin. The Herb Kohl/Jim Doyle amiable doofus and the Russ Feingold-style progressive badasses. Actually Bob LaFollette was from Wisconsin, too; he was labor/progressive but a Republican, before Republicans lost their souls.

Anyway, the problem is that folks like Kohl and Doyle frustrate Wisconsinites, because Packer jokes can only take you so far, and eventually you want someone competant.

I deeply hope that Feingold is able to run against Walker next year.

This kind of reminds me of Oregon politics as well. We had a strong tradition of progressive Republicans for a good long time (Packwood and Hatfield spring to mind). Then they went crazy, or became just plain rubber-stamping opportunistic dumbshits (Gordon Smith I am looking right at you, I was so glad when Merkely kicked your ass to the woodshed).

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, the election is on tuesday, yes?

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2011
    Yup. And apparently Prosser's getting out a lot of phone calls.

Captain Carrot on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    man I wish I wasn't at work and class from dawn to dusk on the fifth

override367 on
    edited April 2011
    And I wish I didn't live halfway across the country.

Captain Carrot on
    edited April 2011

Don't hand me that. Take an hour off of either and go vote. What's the matter with you? You really think one day of work/class is worth your state's future?

Derrick on
    edited April 2011

Okay, I'm just spitballing this, but... I'm pretty sure your work is legally obligated to let you go vote. That's how I understand it, and I don't think the Republicans have gotten around to eliminating that yet.

Ask your boss for an hour off to go take care of your civil obligations.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011
    Just because they're required to let him vote doesn't mean they'll actually do it.

Captain Carrot on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah, that kind of thing happens all the time

Nerdgasmic on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    My parents wouldn't let their warehouse staff leave work to vote because chances are they would vote Democrat.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My parents wouldn't let their warehouse staff leave work to vote because chances are they would vote Democrat.

Your parents are subverting democracy.

Couscous on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

If this is true, your parents are horrible fucking people.

Deebaser on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    They pretty much are, yes. On both counts.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Your parents should be in prison. I bet they do a lot of other fun law-breaking to fuck their workers.

Phillishere on
    edited April 2011

Okay, I'm just spitballing this, but... I'm pretty sure your work is legally obligated to let you go vote. That's how I understand it, and I don't think the Republicans have gotten around to eliminating that yet.

Ask your boss for an hour off to go take care of your civil obligations.

Alt method: Pick up an absentee ballot today?

[e] Nope, looked it up, looks like you needed to request one by last Thursday. Are there provisions for early voting? We can drop by the courthouse and vote early in the presidential elections, never investigated whether this was possible for smaller elections.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Early voting is the best voting.

Tomanta on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Your parents should be in prison. I bet they do a lot of other fun law-breaking to fuck their workers.

Yeah breaking the law is amazing. Hope someone turns them in and they get fined out the ass. As terrible as that is for Orochi, it's even worse for all those people being denied their civil liberties protected by fucking law.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Orochi should totally turn his parents in

nexuscrawler on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Orochi should totally turn his parents in

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.