As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Listening to Music and Such

ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I need a simple, free program for organizing and listening to my music library

I've only ever used iTunes in the past, and that's more or less butt, so what's the best thing for this?

Projeck on

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.foobar2000.org/ is pretty good.

Julius on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Foobar2000 is definitely your best bet.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    What they said.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can someone explain what the advantage of something like Foobar is over iTunes? Keep in mind I'm using a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 4.

Esh on
  • Options
    GabeGabe Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    I think you're kinda stuck with itunes with the macbook. I heard media monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/) my personal favourite was going cross-platform, but so far it hasn't happened...

Gabe on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like using Zune's software because the presentation factor is off the fucking wall. It does a good job of recommending new music to you as well as it's connected me with 2 of my 5 1,000 listens artists. No small feat.

Playlists and stuff like that are really easy to work with as well.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Can someone explain what the advantage of something like Foobar is over iTunes? Keep in mind I'm using a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 4.

Personally, I find Foobar is faster and better at tagging.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Esh wrote: »

I've used both heavily, and I found the real advantages Foobar2k has are the huge amount of formats supported since they encourage their community to write plugins. Also, you'll notice it's small cpu footprint compared to iTunes. It is better for tagging, too, though you should be using a different program all together for something like that.

The mac version of iTunes is certainly better than the PC one, though. IIRC, it's impossible to get .flac support in the PC version of iTunes, which is pretty annoying.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!