As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fowl [CHAT]

• TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    also i don't get a chance to nerd out about many games these days but i got to play this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EfjJeRzQ5M&feature=watch_response_rev

at PAX

and it was soooooo fun. so jealous of people with xboxes and kinects

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    man I'm down a bookstore too

I need to move to a city where you can go to artsy hole in the wall bookshops and make eyes at cute hipster ladies

sometimes it turns out that they actually have shitty taste in literature and they might be making a show of poking around in the "literature and classics" section but will covertly leave with some awful chick-lit title.

also they might get snippy with you if you refer to a homeless dude as "a hobo"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I just saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee, lowered on 20's, blacked out windows, headlights and tail lights.

The license plate said "HIPSTER".

And my left eye is now twitching.

Sounds to me like I need to up my game. Ironically putting 15s in my trunk so everyone could hear me rattling by while I listen to Matt & Kim seems to be some entry level shit.

Shut up Matt & Kim is good.

I <3 Matt & Kim.

Also, although I'd someday like to have an older mx-5, I'd cry if it were any higher than "OHGODNOTSPEEDBUMPS".

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited April 2011
    block after block is really the only standout song on Sidewalks THERE I SAID IT

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »

I need to move to a city where you can go to artsy hole in the wall bookshops and make eyes at cute hipster ladies

sometimes it turns out that they actually have shitty taste in literature and they might be making a show of poking around in the "literature and classics" section but will covertly leave with some awful chick-lit title.

also they might get snippy with you if you refer to a homeless dude as "a hobo"

That's fine with me, the last two books I read are:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkPFzDS1yrF-qkpMvFayfsKQ3JoX1oQLmwMGZDpAMbcrsA_NNpimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2EojA_mvmRQg0v9a6TemL4rMCQuhVduS0n5l3rHBNaunHlAhSbw

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited April 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »
    block after block is really the only standout song on Sidewalks THERE I SAID IT

That's fair, but the rest of the album is still alright. Red Paint & Cameras are quite good.

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A couple of my hip female friends are inordinately excited about an adult-oriented sequel to the Sweet Valley High series of books. I assume that's not unusual, since Diablo Cody is also writing a script for an adaptation of the Sweet Valley High series.

But I'm like, whatever, because I'm Babysitters' Club 4 Lyfe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I just saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee, lowered on 20's, blacked out windows, headlights and tail lights.

The license plate said "HIPSTER".

And my left eye is now twitching.

Sounds to me like I need to up my game. Ironically putting 15s in my trunk so everyone could hear me rattling by while I listen to Matt & Kim seems to be some entry level shit.

You'd have to go the other way. Get a roadster and raise it up. Then take it to the track.
    For the love of god, don't do this. Lowering a Jeep Cherokee makes it moderately silly and defeats it's intended use. Raising up a roadster is potentially dangerous.

Can't be that much more dangerous than those guys who throw 6 inch lifts + huge tires on their jeep wranglers. Wranglers are already squirrelly enough on the highway as the stock model alone.

Dark_Side on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would think that Mirror's Edge would be a lot of fun in 3d

either that or squick-inducing

I still would get lost and trapped in a corner/against a wall/next to a crate

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011

philly has this

Organichu on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hey chu

why does the guns thread make me so mad sometimes

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    A couple of my hip female friends are inordinately excited about an adult-oriented sequel to the Sweet Valley High series of books. I assume that's not unusual, since Diablo Cody is also writing a script for an adaptation of the Sweet Valley High series.

But I'm like, whatever, because I'm Babysitters' Club 4 Lyfe.

i just don't think it's fair to expect them to have good taste in literature is all i am saying

their brains are smaller you know

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Organichu wrote: »

philly has this
    it's kind of a trip though

what if I go and find out there aren't any cute hipster ladies

Elendil on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

philly has this

what if there are

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    hey chu

Clearly because all gun enthusiasts are secretly filled with rage.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited April 2011
    hey chu

it's the worst

i tried telling that dude that if he's afraid of condition 1 he shouldn't carry so he ignored me and is now asking questions about acquiring a gun

hahaha

Organichu on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I read a Babysitter's Club book when I was a kid. It was about piercings. Afterwards I told my mom I wanted my ears pierced. I never had quite enough time to do much reading since then.

Silas Brown on
    edited April 2011

philly has this

the "hipster ladies" in question are 280 lb wiccans

philly has an inferior breed of hipster ladies

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gettin mah oil changed

Two guys and a girl in the waiting room. One guy has long unkempt hair and a nose ring and is wearing a hoodie made out of what appears to be car seat cover material, the girl has unkempt hair with a bright green streak in it and 10+ ear piercing, a nose and lip ring and is wearing pajamas pants and the last guy? Scrawny white dude with dreadlocks.

Hipsters abound.

HappylilElf on
    edited April 2011

philly has this

what if you never try

and a cute hipster just appears in your room

(it's not too bad a trip right, it's like less than $10 roundtrip on r seven)

Organichu on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    also i don't get a chance to nerd out about many games these days but i got to play this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EfjJeRzQ5M&feature=watch_response_rev

at PAX

and it was soooooo fun. so jealous of people with xboxes and kinects

I want that game so bad you have no idea. I'm glad to hear you had fun with it.

I kinda want to get Mirror's Edge just for the DLC. I liked the look of the abstract time trial levels. Like parkour through the Tron universe.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited April 2011

watching someone who doesn't usually play games fool around with mirror's edge...or really any first person game is kind of amazing. it really hammers home how much we take being able to use controllers and whatnot for granted.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited April 2011

philly has this

the "hipster ladies" in question are 280 lb wiccans

philly has an inferior breed of hipster ladies

when i check the fridge and all we have is off-brand ketchup, i don't go to bed hungry

one makes do, william

Organichu on
    edited April 2011

philly has this

then you can practice your game on the soccer moms browsing the dawson's creek boxed sets in the other side of the bookstore

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, does hipster just mean 'grungy youth' now? I thought the necessary and sufficient condition was a style defined by irony.

TL DR on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    you should put a moratorium on hipster discussion will

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited April 2011
    I don't think anyone really knows what a hipster is anymore.

Silas Brown on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Variable wrote: »

philly has this

what if there are
    then I will make eyes and they will find me creepy and go away elsewhere

and then I will return home in despair

Elendil on
    edited April 2011
    Gettin mah oil changed

Two guys and a girl in the waiting room. One guy has long unkempt hair and a nose ring and is wearing a hoodie made out of what appears to be car seat cover material, the girl has unkempt hair with a bright green streak in it and 10+ ear piercing, a nose and lip ring and is wearing pajamas pants and the last guy? Scrawny white dude with dreadlocks.

Hipsters abound.

man

i don't think i would count those as hipsters

as a rule, if they look like they belong at bonaroo or burning man, i don't think they count

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, I hate written IQ tests because of bullshit like this:
    Which animal does not belong?

A. Deer
    B. Cow
    C. Giraffe
    D. Wolf
    E. Elk

Well, let's see here. C is the only one that doesn't naturally live in North America. D is the only carnivore. B is the only domesticated one.

So which property was more important to the test creator? I'm going to guess carnivore.

Oh no I guessed wrong! It was actually B, for domestication.

And how is this a test of IQ versus general knowledge? It's not. It's bullshit.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, does hipster just mean 'grungy youth' now? I thought the necessary and sufficient condition was a style defined by irony.

Tim, I'd explain it to you but you probably wouldn't get it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited April 2011

nooo

i dispelled this irony-centered hipster myth yesterday.

i agree that trashy/ grungy hippie kids probably aren't hipsters tho.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2011
    Feral wrote: »

A. Deer
    B. Cow
    C. Giraffe
    D. Wolf
    E. Elk

Well, let's see here. C is the only one that doesn't naturally live in North America. D is the only carnivore. B is the only domesticated one.

So which property was more important to the test creator? I'm going to guess carnivore.

C for syllables

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2011
    Will, what is a hipster?

Silas Brown on
    edited April 2011
    Gettin mah oil changed

Hipsters abound.

man

i don't think i would count those as hipsters

as a rule, if they look like they belong at bonaroo or burning man, i don't think they count

oh, let me help!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crusty

basically the second definition

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited April 2011

watching someone who doesn't usually play games fool around with mirror's edge...or really any first person game is kind of amazing. it really hammers home how much we take being able to use controllers and whatnot for granted.

Yeah, video games definitely have their own artistic language. I think that's primarily what separates the 'core' from the 'casual' market - not amount of time playing, or amount of money spent, but how steeped you (and the game) are in video game tropes.

Feral on

edited April 2011
    Feral wrote: »

A. Deer
    B. Cow
    C. Giraffe
    D. Wolf
    E. Elk

C for syllables

C because it ends with a vowel!

E because it begins with a vowel!

D because the test writer was wearing a howling wolf t-shirt that day!

Who the fuck knows!

Feral on

edited April 2011
    Will, what is a hipster?

in my experience, they are unusually earnest artsy bohemian kids who are on a constant quixotic crusade for personal authenticity.

if anything, they are the least sneeringly ironic clique out there. the extent of their irony is generally a kind of good-natured celebration of kitsch.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    elendil, I bet you could meet all sorts of neat ladies if you tried

Nerdgasmic on
    edited April 2011
    Cool. Thank you.

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.