As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fowl [CHAT]

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Gettin mah oil changed

Two guys and a girl in the waiting room. One guy has long unkempt hair and a nose ring and is wearing a hoodie made out of what appears to be car seat cover material, the girl has unkempt hair with a bright green streak in it and 10+ ear piercing, a nose and lip ring and is wearing pajamas pants and the last guy? Scrawny white dude with dreadlocks.

Hipsters abound.

man

i don't think i would count those as hipsters

as a rule, if they look like they belong at bonaroo or burning man, i don't think they count

oh, let me help!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crusty

basically the second definition

See also: Portland resident

Ludious on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    dreadlocks are so fucking nasty on people who do not have naturally very curly hair.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Will, what is a hipster?

in my experience, they are unusually earnest artsy bohemian kids who are on a constant quixotic crusade for personal authenticity.

if anything, they are the least sneeringly ironic clique out there. the extent of their irony is generally a kind of good-natured celebration of kitsch.

Totally does not mesh with my experience at all.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No. They're nasty, period.

By their VERY NATURE, they're disgusting.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Will, what is a hipster?

in my experience, they are unusually earnest artsy bohemian kids who are on a constant quixotic crusade for personal authenticity.

if anything, they are the least sneeringly ironic clique out there. the extent of their irony is generally a kind of good-natured celebration of kitsch.

Pretty much.

They're people trying to be artists with no real idea where to go with it from my experience. They seek uniqueness for the sake of it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, does hipster just mean 'grungy youth' now? I thought the necessary and sufficient condition was a style defined by irony.

nooo

i dispelled this irony-centered hipster myth yesterday.

i agree that trashy/ grungy hippie kids probably aren't hipsters tho.

They're not. They're this weird hybrid of the people who didn't grow up around large urban environments, who's style and mannerisms seem very late 90's with a grunge/hot topic/metal kids/traveling bums aesthetic.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hipsters are modern day beatniks or hippies or flappers. Pick a period and there are hipster by a different name. And yes, hippies were the hipsters of their era. Then they became yuppies.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Personal authenticity is something I never understood why people gave a shit about. It is like nonconformism.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    elendil, I bet you could meet all sorts of neat ladies if you tried

I don't think dragon age ladies count

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Personal authenticity is something I never understood why people gave a shit about.

It's a last line of defense for self worth. When you have no skills, knowledge, present or future prospects you can always cling to "authenticity".

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Personal authenticity is something I never understood why people gave a shit about.

It's a last line of defense for self worth. When you have no skills, knowledge, present or future prospects you can always cling to "authenticity".

Skills and knowledge are good things to have and be paid for, but I ain't gonna waste much time hanging out with a poser on the weekend.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Really? I've always thought you couldn't really know all that much in the world until you at least understood yourself. The romantic idea of hitting the road to find out your mettle, breaking off the chains responsibility and expectation to find out what exists in between, I can understand why people would search for that.

But the experiences are only valid if you actually learn from them. Just collecting exciting experiences as so many coins to amplify your self worth, then yeah, pretty much bullshit.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    or they wear terrible clothing and have terrible derivative opinions
    they want to get their MFA and study ecclesiology but they don't mention that their family pays for everything
    they believe themselves to be highly intelligent but propagate the same tired higher-tier meme thoughts to all their friends in a circle of vapid, unfounded idiocy

okay so I may have a bunch of hipster acquaintances who are terrible, and that may not be because they are hipster

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

don't be so down on yourself

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ludious wrote: »

What about their very nature makes them disgusting, Ludious?

I got some popcorn and a soda, this should make for a good show.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well if you're into art, as is common among hipsters, there's a pretty understandable, but misplaced, desire to create something unique.

Then again, most hipsters are full of shit.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Also, I hate written IQ tests because of bullshit like this:
    Which animal does not belong?

A. Deer
    B. Cow
    C. Giraffe
    D. Wolf
    E. Elk

Well, let's see here. C is the only one that doesn't naturally live in North America. D is the only carnivore. B is the only domesticated one.

So which property was more important to the test creator? I'm going to guess carnivore.

Oh no I guessed wrong! It was actually B, for domestication.

And how is this a test of IQ versus general knowledge? It's not. It's bullshit.

C for syllables

C because it ends with a vowel!

E because it begins with a vowel!

D because the test writer was wearing a howling wolf t-shirt that day!

Who the fuck knows!
    A because it's the only one that doesn't seem to have a unique distinctive property that sets it apart from the others.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Pretty sure he was talking about dredlocks.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I forgot to add that hipsters name drop only books they probably read in their high school AP canon.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

don't be so down on yourself

if I don't go down on myself, who will

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Pretty sure he was talking about dredlocks.

Yep!

/munch

Feral on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Really? I've always thought you couldn't really know all that much in the world until you at least understood yourself. The romantic idea of hitting the road to find out your mettle, breaking off the chains responsibility and expectation to find out what exists in between, I can understand why people would search for that.

But the experiences are only valid if you actually learn from them. Just collecting exciting experiences as so many coins to amplify your self worth, then yeah, pretty much bullshit.
    My responsibilities and expectations are just as much a part of who I am as my wants and desires are.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yay for American Dad! putting itself on this level that makes me wtf at least once an episode.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The romantic idea of hitting the road to find out your mettle, breaking off the chains responsibility and expectation to find out what exists in between, I can understand why people would search for that.

this is why most hipsters are rich white kids

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, would it be legal if there was a club, and they had, like, stages, and people were allowed to go up on the stages and have sex?

Winky on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    So, would it be legal if there was a club, and they had, like, stages, and people were allowed to go up on the stages and have sex?

um

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    my aunt asked me to call and order the chinese food she wants (which is torture to me since i'm dieting)

so i call,

"may i have a general tso's chicken combo, substituting mei fun (really thin rice noodle) for the fried rice"

and the lady's like "ok is extra three dollars"

so i clear that with my aunt

man

what happened to chines food being a quick, cheap meal

eight dollar platter plus three dollar addition plus four dollars for side of crab rangoon plus two dollars for drink plus one dollar for delivery... even if she decides not to tip above that, it's 19 bucks for chinese takeout

craziness

i am way too thrifty to ever order like her

Organichu on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    both cows and giraffes have 4 stomachs

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I have business cards now, neaaaaaaat.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    tee hee

edit: just in case - Spoiler alert in the link.

The new Zero Punctuation is about Dragon Age II.

While I haven't played the game yet, the review does seem to exactly confirm the impression I've received of the game from hearing chat talk about it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2011

um

This is a serious question.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

um

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The romantic idea of hitting the road to find out your mettle, breaking off the chains responsibility and expectation to find out what exists in between, I can understand why people would search for that.

this is why most hipsters are rich white kids

Well yeah, but you don't necessarily have to be rich to do it. Just makes it easier to call moms and dad when shit gets a little too real. But I met plenty of kids bumming around the US who were decidedly not rich kids.

All I ask if that if you're going to try and relive Kerouac's "On the Road", just happen to read "Big Sur" after for a little more context.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Will, what is a hipster?

A subsection may be earnestly searching for some unvarnished truth and authenticity, but a lot of them haven't grown past the ironic phase. Basically humanity in a nutshell, isn't it

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited April 2011

um

This is a serious question.

I'm guessing it depends on the state. There are live sex shows that go on in most places if you look hard enough though

Eddy on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had never heard of "On the Road" until I started using my debit card or signing things in Portland, OR. That was... really fucking weird.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Huh.

Well I'm going to keep the impetus for that question to myself so that you'll all be guessing forever.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We all know you're some kind of weird pervert man

not that it's okay but we understand.

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Why? Wanna go to one?

Feral on

• Options
    edited April 2011
    They should make a game where you're some sort of information trader and/or detective. The entire game would be played through dialogue choices and puzzle solving, there would be no combat.

Is there a game like that?

I think Bioware should make one.

Winky on
This discussion has been closed.