As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You are about to enter another dimension. Not only of sight and sound, but of mind.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh fuck I love this show

Oh fuck it's on Netflix Instant?
    Fuck, I'm never doing anything productive with my life ever again

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Witness Mr. Henry Bemis a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page, but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of the clock. But in just a moment Mr. Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He’ll have a world to himself without anyone."

YESSSSS.
    Scary_Door_Time_Enough.jpg

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I take unreasonable pleasure in doing a Rod Serling voice and reading those little bookends

I'm probably the only one who's entertained when I do it but he has such a fun demeanor to mimic

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Turns out it's man.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Turns out it's man.

You just ruined multiple episodes for the uninitiated sir!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    now that i made that post i can start freaking out about how much i love this kind of show

i'm pretty sure watching the outer limits as a kid made me love short horror fiction and SF - a lot of the stuff I was writing a few years ago mimicked Twilight Zone structures fairly well

another thing that is similar to twilight zone's turnabout structure is the scp foundation (i had to link to the stuff i wrote, because i'm an attention whore.)

also many of stephen king's best short fiction pieces are similar to TZ. i'm thinking particularly of the finger and 1408.

horror is amazing

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Turns out it's man.

Why would you say that!?!?!?!

Edit: Disregard that, I would've said that too.

Oh yeah, this show was one the best written TV shows of all time and it was wayyy ahead of its time.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Another Serling show that isn't as well known but started out strong was Night Gallery. Unfortunately Serling chose to turn down control of the show and later found many of his script submissions butchered or outright ignored so it understandably lost viewers.

For all the episodes I've seen of Twilight Zone, I've never seen a single episode of Night Gallery

I guess people don't remember it as fondly

I am pretty sure that Hulu has most if not all of Night Gallery's episodes.

They seem to have The Outer Limits as well.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone seen the episode with Buster Keaton?

I don't think I've ever seen that one.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jimothy wrote: »
    "To Serve Man" freaked me out so much. Didn't help that I was watching it alone in a darkened room at 1:30 AM.

I remember having seen that episode before it was spoiled for me. The reveal is so well done.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The movie was some scary stuff.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    Little Girl Lost is one of my favs for obvious reasons

well, obvious if you know both me and the episode so not really obvious

I really like the one about the neighborhood whose power goes out, except for one house

And then everyone thinks that one dude is a commie spy when he doesn't know why his power stayed on

And then the power goes out again, but another dude's lights stay on and everyone flips out

That's one of the most perfect encapsulations of cold war paranoia I've ever seen!

There was another one that was very similar
    Two neighbors are having a party when the radio says that the USSR have launched missiles
    One neighbor has a bomb shelter and he hustles his family in there but the other family is left outside
    And the two husbands who start as best friends arguing more and more heatedly
    One trying to get in and the other trying to keep him out

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.twilightzoneradio.com/

Two words: Luke. Perry.

You are welcome.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I enjoyed A Game of Pool.

Also, did anyone else listen to The Shadow?

I suppose only the shadow knows.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It's a lot of fun!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

It's a lot of fun!

It's silly

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Olivaw you are my favorite did you know that now you know that!

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just watched an episode about a lieutenant in world war two who could tell by looking at his platoon's faces who was going to die in action that day

Holy god what a good episode

As a concept it's extremely compelling and presents a bunch of really interesting questions, a lot of which are addressed within the episode itself!

It is still so hard for me to believe that a show this smart existed back in the day
    Olivaw you are my favorite did you know that now you know that!

<3
    I enjoyed A Game of Pool.

Also, did anyone else listen to The Shadow?

I suppose only the shadow knows.

I fucking love The Shadow but it is difficult to find the original radio broadcasts these days

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I take unreasonable pleasure in doing a Rod Serling voice and reading those little bookends

I'm probably the only one who's entertained when I do it but he has such a fun demeanor to mimic

God I am so glad I am not the only one who does this
    now that i made that post i can start freaking out about how much i love this kind of show

i'm pretty sure watching the outer limits as a kid made me love short horror fiction and SF - a lot of the stuff I was writing a few years ago mimicked Twilight Zone structures fairly well

another thing that is similar to twilight zone's turnabout structure is the scp foundation (i had to link to the stuff i wrote, because i'm an attention whore.)

also many of stephen king's best short fiction pieces are similar to TZ. i'm thinking particularly of the finger and 1408.

horror is amazing

I was hoping you would enjoy this thread Orik! Please feel free to recommend more good horror stuff because I can never find any of the good stuff ever (outside of King's short stories)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh shit

The one with Dennis Hopper as a wannabe neo-Nazi who starts getting advice from a shadowy figure on how to rally the people, and after everything goes wrong you find out it was the ghost of Adolf Hitler

Fuck, I love that one

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so i told my mom this was on instant play and she was like "i also heard the wonder years is on instant play" but then i checked and it's not

???

going to watch some twilight zone later

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know To Serve Man?

Read it as a short story first. Scared the tar out of me.

Then I saw the actual episode, and so help me, the one thing I could think was "These people are CHUMPS who deserve everything they have coming"

I mean, it's the cold war. You're supposed to be paranoid. Ever heard "Beware of Greeks baring gifts"?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    beware of geeks gifting bears

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Beware of The Geek posting Gifs

BusterK on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Never bare a gift bear in the mouth?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

horror is amazing

I was hoping you would enjoy this thread Orik! Please feel free to recommend more good horror stuff because I can never find any of the good stuff ever (outside of King's short stories)

well, i like house of leaves and the sandman - "24 hours" in particular gives me chills every time. swamp thing is excellent. read lovecraft if you haven't.

other than that.. hm. good horror is hard to find. read the Foundation.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Witness Mr. Henry Bemis a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page, but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of the clock. But in just a moment Mr. Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He’ll have a world to himself without anyone."

YESSSSS.
    Scary_Door_Time_Enough.jpg

now i just miss Bemis. :cry:

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Clicking on the this thread name to go to the first page and getting "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." was mildly amusing to me.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    [strike]There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear.

You are entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location. The kind of place where there might be a monster, or some kind of weird mirror. These are just examples; it could also be something much better. Prepare to enter: The Scary Door.[/strike]

Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But... there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a DARKSIDE.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love The Twilight Zone so, so much.

A long time ago I was reading a Twilight Zone book on a long road trip

After finishing one of the longer stories (Something about a ghost train maybe?) I was jostled awake, only to discover that I had imagined the entire last half of the story in my dream, and the real thing read completely differently.

That is some meta Twilight Zone business right there

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i have like fifty fucking episodes of the twilight zone on my dvr.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

horror is amazing

well, i like house of leaves and the sandman - "24 hours" in particular gives me chills every time. swamp thing is excellent. read lovecraft if you haven't.

Agreed on 24 hours. Brutal stuff.

It's a cruel god with all the caprice and nastiness that implies. Also right on the hard to find.

Chesterton sometimes starts a horror mood, and the man is good at it. Then, all of the sudden?

BAM. Punchline. Whole thing defused.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Crashmo wrote: »
    I love The Twilight Zone so, so much.

A long time ago I was reading a Twilight Zone book on a long road trip

After finishing one of the longer stories (Something about a ghost train maybe?) I was jostled awake, only to discover that I had imagined the entire last half of the story in my dream, and the real thing read completely differently.

That is some meta Twilight Zone business right there

But how do you know that you dreamed it?

DOO DEE DOO DOO DOO DEE DOO DOO

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh noooooooooooooo

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oh, i've been reading Clive Barker when I get a chance and it's pretty good, though not as creepy as I'd hoped.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oh, i've been reading Clive Barker when I get a chance and it's pretty good, though not as creepy as I'd hoped.

I rather liked Mr. B. Gone for it's conceit that the book is possessed and talking at you, but he could have gone a lot more interesting with fonts and formatting and such and it really doesn't end so much as it screeches to a halt

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

horror is amazing

I saw this as "read The Fountainhead" and thought "heh good one"

L|ama on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    For the record, prejudices can kill.

Suspicion can destroy.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Watching Night Gallery on Hulu and its actually pretty good! Almost every half-decent looking woman shown is creepy as hell though, even when they're nice there's this Weird Barbie look they've got going

Favorite so far is A Room With A View (predictable but fun) least favorite is Clean Kills and Other Trophies (predictable and dumb and stop being such a pussy, kid, jeez)

mensch-o-matic on