As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

get a job filling daric's holes (DOUBLE ENTENDRE) [JOB THREAD] {BRACKETS}

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No it is not, thankyou very much.

Oh wait! Now we have another!

Blake T on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nobody is more polite than us northerners. When you apologize for someone stepping on your foot, than you will know our plight.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am involved in what is going to be a new world record.

Can't say what it is though.

Other than we are going to take that record back off the Canadians

fuuuuuck
    yoouuu

Well maybe you shouldn't have sat on your mystery laurels.

The numbers we are dealing with are crazy big though. Significantly more than the previous record.

Blake T on
    edited April 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Nobody is more polite than us northerners. When you apologize for someone stepping on your foot, than you will know our plight.

How I Met Your Mother has also taught me that you are supposed to offer them a doughnut also.

Also you have the record of most number of homes invaded by micheal moore in a single day.

Blake T on
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    today I had to check my bank account to see if I could afford a $4 sandwich

not like, to see if it would be in my budget

I honestly was not sure if I had greater than four dollars to my name

(I did, I had seven)

Scudo on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dunno how the US IRA system works, but in Australia 9% of your wage is automatically deducted and paid into your superannuation fund. I pay an extra 11% on that so I can build my little nest egg quicker. You also get taxed at a lower rate if the money's in a a superfund which is nice.

It doesn't apply for me, but we also have a system in which the Government will pay $1.00 for each $1.00 contributed up to a maximum of $1,000 and is reduced by 5 cents for each dollar of your income above $31,920cutting out at $61,920. While it's not super-huge, it's still not bad if you're a low to middle income earner.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    finally managed to bang out and send off my writeup for the volunteer event i covered

bluhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

good to have it done, though.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ITT: People making very defamatory typos. :(

Darric on
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, my new job is awesome.

Darric on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    Dunno how the US IRA system works, but in Australia 9% of your wage is automatically deducted and paid into your superannuation fund. I pay an extra 11% on that so I can build my little nest egg quicker. You also get taxed at a lower rate if the money's in a a superfund which is nice.

The "Social Security tax" (FICA) is usually about 6% (it's adjusted for consumer prices on a year-to-year basis) of the first $106,000 or so you earn, though this year there is a tax holiday and the rate is only 4.2%. Upon retirement after the age of 65 or permanent disability, the government sends you a check every month.

Outside of that, there's a complicated series investments you can choose from. Usually what you pick depends on what tax benefits you want to take advantage of. Many full-time jobs offer "401(k) matching", where the company will match an employee's contribution to the fund (which is in the stock market) up to a certain amount per year. 401(k) refers to the section of the tax code the fund is in - most people have their 401(k) funds contributed pre-tax, which means that disbursements are taxed when you withdraw the funds (because you will presumably be earning less when you retire), however, the interest earned by the funds is never taxed. Since the company matches some portion of your contributions, people generally use these even if they still end up paying taxes on them after retirement.

Past that, you can then make contributions to other types of IRAs, depending on how you want to deal with the tax consequences. The two most common are traditional and Roth IRAs. The former uses pretax funds like a 401(k), and so withdrawals are subject to taxation. The latter uses after-tax dollars, so disbursements are not taxable, however, there is a limit to how much you can contribute per year.

Anyway, that's the very basic version of the US retirement funds. It's pretty complicated and is not without its controversies.

That last sentence may be the understatement of the year.

ASimPerson on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    Koshian wrote: »
    oh boy, is it time for the oppression olympics again
    I'm just trying to give you an example of how you could be worse off to maybe make you feel a little better!!?

Subtle. Kudos.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    not looking forward to paying $2.5k in taxes next week.

Oh well, this should hopefully be the last year for a long time I'll have to pay in at the end of the year.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm glad I came in an hour early to set up for a meeting that was supposed to start 15 minutes ago but no one is here.

VisionOfClarity on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm glad I came in an hour early to set up for a meeting that was supposed to start 15 minutes ago but no one is here.

Just stare at the motivational poster of the kitty hangin' in there for a moment, and then get back to work

Hunter on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy shit, first day in 6 months I got to work early.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2011
    Way to be an inspiration to us all Bowen.

Now show the man by surfing the internet until work starts then go take a shit on the companies dime.

Blake T on
    edited April 2011
    Hunter wrote: »

Just stare at the motivational poster of the kitty hangin' in there for a moment, and then get back to work

At the moment I have no work to do and no one else is in. I think I'll take this time to let my recruiter know she needs to find me a replacement because I'm leaving for Habitat, my dream job of bringing down property values around the country.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited April 2011
    Hunter wrote: »

At the moment I have no work to do and no one else is in. I think I'll take this time to let my recruiter know she needs to find me a replacement because I'm leaving for Habitat, my dream job of bringing down property values around the country.

KellyHabitat_jpg_630x1200_upscale_q85.jpg

Hunter on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What in the sweet fuck are you people doing to the job thread?!

Enough already, jesus christ.

DrZiplock on
    edited April 2011
    There is a lot going on in that picture.

Blake T on
    edited April 2011
    Kelly comics on The Onion are the best. The crying Statue of Liberty always seals the deal.

Hunter on
    edited April 2011
    I thought for a second the key was actually a gun.

You know, pointing out that poor people are criminals.

Blake T on
    edited April 2011

Now show the man by surfing the internet until work starts then go take a shit on the companies dime.

I did just this!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2011
    People either complain because they think it's free homes for the "lazy" or because they're not free homes & you have to prove you can afford the home to get one.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited April 2011
    Just told my boss here I'm leaving and she was really bummed but understood completely.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited April 2011
    Well there is a minimum and maximum limit. For instance, a family making more than $60,000 probably wouldn't qualify, and neither will someone on disability ( I don't think ). You also have to be willing to volunteer your time to help build your house and other people's houses in the future.

People on welfare get section 8 housing, which is pretty fucking destitute, let me tell you. Having witnessed it first hand.

bowen on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    People on welfare get section 8 housing, which is pretty fucking destitute, let me tell you. Having witnessed it first hand.

How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 100% white?

Aneurhythmia on
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »

How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 100% white?

Like % of non-white people living there? My area is predominantly white to begin with so I'm not sure how much that would help you?

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    In Boston we had really bad section 8 and really nice section 8. I lived a block away from one of the nice ones for 2 years without realizing it wasn't just a regular complex. I imagine the families there were very relieved to be there and not in one of the ones in Dorchester or Mattapan.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited April 2011
    It's pretty terrible how people on disability and welfare live. Then they try and take away their welfare if someone from the family gives them a ride to a doctor's office, or gives them money to buy some milk and fucking cereal.

bowen on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    the best thing about me moving out of the Production dept is how silently and impotently mad my boss is about it, and there's no one he can really yell at about it.

"Dan you were an hour late from lunch"

"Oh, yeah, I was the The CEO, CFO, and the VPs of Sales and Marketing at lunch at the nearby country club, lost track of time, sorry

8-)"

SH did you see my post last thread re:not having retarded Excel catalogs?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When the housing market here in town died they opened up a number of complexes/housing communities to Section 8. So many of them were so poorly maintained :(

edit: I did! I took a look at that add-on, and if/when I can ever dedicate the time to it, the Pro version sounds perfect since Dynamics GP runs on a SQL database anyway so I could plug it directly in to pull out pricing and part names.

It would, however, require I work with our 'art department' (the CEO's daughter who 'does the photoshop good' but has absolutely no goddamn ability to organize any of the stuff she edits/creates. Basically she just cleans up the images and we've been sending our stuff to an outside design shop who does all the layout and formatting. I would have love to have seen their faces the first time someone here emailed them our excel file catalog and said 'print this')

Abracadaniel on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    When the housing market here in town died they opened up a number of complexes/housing communities to Section 8. So many of them were so poorly maintained :(

edit: I did! I took a look at that add-on, and if/when I can ever dedicate the time to it, the Pro version sounds perfect since Dynamics GP runs on a SQL database anyway so I could plug it directly in to pull out pricing and part names.

It would, however, require I work with our 'art department' (the CEO's daughter who 'does the photoshop good' but has absolutely no goddamn ability to organize any of the stuff she edits/creates. Basically she just cleans up the images and we've been sending our stuff to an outside design shop who does all the layout and formatting. I would have love to have seen their faces the first time someone here emailed them our excel file catalog and said 'print this')

Yessss, I managed to turn my research on that into something useful for someone at least.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

this is every day of my week.

Depressperado on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Swill wrote: »
    yeah

which was exactly what i did

except i couldn't get a job

You mean in the UK? Because we are used to people sneaking in here, especially in London, and trying to get a secret job without having the correct visa. It is why we have checks. And your lack of European accent would have been a warning light. In fact, if you were Polish you might have got away with it easier because of members of the EU jumping about all over the place to work is pretty normal. But you are not European.

Liiya on
    edited April 2011

this is every day of my week.

It's really great because it saves a ton on toilet paper. Toilet paper expense was my nondisclosed compensation during my interview. And if I can deal with the pain of holding it all weekend, as a guy, I can drop my toilet paper usage down to near 0.

bowen on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I got a job interview later today at this neat little upscale kitchen restaurant/wine cellar place. It's not exactly what I wanted, but I won't have to do server duty and at least i'll get paid a steady hour rate. If I can get at least $9/hr out of it i'll take it for now. As long as I have something to help pay the bills, I can be a little patient while I look for something else.

I met with Cogliostro and he gave me a really good lead on what I should be looking for. He works at a hospital around the area and told me about the Dispatch Center work. All you do is take emergency phone calls and read from a computer monitor on what to do depending on the call nature.

The hours can be long (6 AM to 6 PM, or if you're unlucky, 6 PM to 6 AM), but the pay is around $14-$15/hr, and there's a fair amount of overtime rates so i'd be more than willing to do that. This is the kind of thing i'd need in order to save enough cash for school this January, so this is something i'd see more as a long-term prospect to shoot for.

I also applied to a few hospitals for their more general work jobs offered.

Godfather on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grats on HfH, VoC!! :D

At work we're trying to get people to use our new ticketing system. (previously it was just a google form, before that.. nothing).
    It's proving to be a little tricky, which was expected.

I got called rude!
    Rejected a ticket cause the subject was just one word. Told him as much in the response and over IM (he was wondering why it was rejected). He made a new ticket and cc'ed my boss and his boss on it.
    I responded by merging the new ticket with the old one. 8-)

skettios on
    edited April 2011
    Ugh I hate people that are not willing to learn a new system. Even when that new system is to their benefit.

Like we have lab people here complaining about having to double check information, so they wanted a way to give them a reminder that something special needed to be done for certain lab/insurance combinations. The catch? They had to go in and set it up the first time through for each lab/insurance combination.

They'd rather get fined and chewed out than take 40 minutes out of their day (PAID) to do this.

bowen on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got recruited for a gig in SF.

Not sure how I'd fare in the bay area.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.