As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

1575859606163»

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Infinity engine games look really fucking great with high res mods that let us see the gorgeous hand made maps in their full glory, and make the kinda ugly interface smaller.

It's the opposite of early 3D games.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Infinity engine games look really fucking great with high res mods that let us see the gorgeous hand made maps in their full glory, and make the kinda ugly interface smaller.

It's the opposite of early 3D games.

Yeah, that's pretty much one of the greatest thing about the engine. I mean it's pretty backwards by today's standards, but because each level is essentially an art piece it still holds up. In some ways it looks a hell of a lot better than say, DAO's tile based level design.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Each level is basically a huge ass bitmap, and that's why the game took so much disk space back then. No tiling whatsoever, like, say, Diablo.

Hum. Is there a way to extract the maps and look at them?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Icewind Dale is just good RPGing at its most basic. Going into dungeons and killing mans and getting loots. The graphics, sound, and general presentation are fantastic and the battles are pretty much the best on the infinity engine if you're a fan of that. I would highly recommend them.

Sounds like the very opposite of Planescape: Torment, then.

Pretty much, yeah.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GSM wrote: »
    Yeah, not falling for this again.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1117/dotemu41111.png

But he is persistent, I'll give him that.

The hell?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anachronox is oh so awesome, and oh so broken, all at the same time.

It needs to be experienced.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Catshade on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What.

Well #reload is outdated as fuck as far as guilty gear revisions go but hey, it's GOG.

People should check out guilty gear. Best fighting series ever created.

Also there's a mod/patch for online but it's a bit obtuse to get working, and I'm not sure if you can do it for the GOG version, but there that.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Catshade wrote: »
    Fantastic.

Glal on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    Catshade wrote: »
    Fantastic.

Man, this is so weird.

Lately I've been on a retro kick, pulling out old games and running them through DOSBox. Like 2 days ago I was thinking, "I should pull out Realms of the Haunting". About 12 years ago I found it at a Goodwill for something like $2, but I only played it briefly back then. Always meant to go back and play through it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What's it like?

The screens look intriguing.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Each level is basically a huge ass bitmap, and that's why the game took so much disk space back then. No tiling whatsoever, like, say, Diablo.

Hum. Is there a way to extract the maps and look at them?
    Infinity Explorer can do this, I think.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    From what I remember, it's a kind of FPS/adventure/survival horror game.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it's a first person shooter/horror/survival game with a puzzle element. I enjoyed the story too, even though I imagine the writing and voice acting are beyond hokey by modern standards (but that's a given for most old games).
    Very good atmosphere.

[edit] I take it back. Bought the game, played the intro, voice acting perfectly serviceable, at least for the main character. Surprisingly so.

Glal on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nathrak wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Ma, I really wish that GoG would snag the rights for Summoner. I recall having a lot of fun with that game before the discs were stolen along with my first PC when I was younger.
    I thought I was the only one that liked the Summoner games!

Heh I have some fond memories of playing multiplayer and the music/atmosphere was pretty good. Went to go vote for it on Wanted list but I already had, yay!
    I didn't even know the first one was on PC. I've only ever played it on PS2. Is the sequel on PC, too?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Icewind Dale is just good RPGing at its most basic. Going into dungeons and killing mans and getting loots. The graphics, sound, and general presentation are fantastic and the battles are pretty much the best on the infinity engine if you're a fan of that. I would highly recommend them.

Sounds like the very opposite of Planescape: Torment, then.

It... kind of is? I mean, it has a story, but nowhere near as deep and involving as PS: Torment. I mean, you create your own party of characters in Icewind Dale. That alone should tell you the story is kinda weak.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow. Realms of the Haunting looks fucking awesome.

Wishlisted. Wish my wallet could take it right now. And hell, I just bought XIII the other day, which as been good fun to get back into. I love Adam West so much.

Drake on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    From an LP I've seen of it, Realms of the haunting is rather good.

Of course, I'm just waiting for Guilty Gear to start being sold. Anyone have any idea how good a port it is?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck yeah. That's a game I always thought looked great back in the day, but I never actually got around to playing it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    heenato wrote: »

Of course, I'm just waiting for Guilty Gear to start being sold. Anyone have any idea how good a port it is?

Wait, they've actually said they're going to be getting Guilty Gear? If so, awesome.

Also, looks like time for a new thread.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    subedii wrote: »

Wait, they've actually said they're going to be getting Guilty Gear? If so, awesome.

Yeah. Guilty Gear X2 #Reload. They've got a page up for it, saying it's "coming soon"

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/guilty_gear_x2_reload

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yeah, watching LPs kinda worked against me here. I've already seen the whole game, and playing it would be weird, because I'd keep hearing that cheery voice in my head, saying "Welcome back, folks, to REALMS OF THE HAUNTING!"

Raycaster FPS with FMV cutscenes and inventory-based adventure game puzzles. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    subedii wrote: »

Yeah. Guilty Gear X2 #Reload. They've got a page up for it, saying it's "coming soon"

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/guilty_gear_x2_reload

IIRC, the port is pretty much perfect. Better than the console versions since you can actually view it in higher resolutions (I think that's where most of the sprite rips come from). No online play though, of course.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shame it's only the second version of that game out of six.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Really curious how Funbox Media got the rights to Realms and a Guilty Gear port. Their website makes them look like some shovelware clearinghouse, one step above Phoenix Games. Looks like they have the rights to some Metal Slug port as well?

My guess is that GOG contacted them about licensing Realms, and somehow Guilty Gear got thrown somewhere in the discussions. I bet you could make a pretty interesting documentary about software rights switching hands and ending up in strange places.

GSM on
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wonder if this might mean Normality's on the way; I believe it used an earlier version of RotH, and maybe had much of the same team?

mattclem on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    GSM wrote: »
    Really curious how Funbox Media got the rights to Realms and a Guilty Gear port. Their website makes them look like some shovelware clearinghouse, one step above Phoenix Games. Looks like they have the rights to some Metal Slug port as well?

My guess is that GOG contacted them about licensing Realms, and somehow Guilty Gear got thrown somewhere in the discussions. I bet you could make a pretty interesting documentary about software rights switching hands and ending up in strange places.
    It's aparently made of former employees of a company called Zushi games, which DID the guilty gear port, so they must've retained the rights.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If anyone can figure out how to use healing potions in RotH, I'm all ears. Tried every sensible combination of rubbing things on things I could think of.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I recall from the lets play it involved equipping the object in one of your hands, and then activating it?

GSM on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hmm...

Glal on
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    24-hour promo (they're going to do this every first and third Wednesday in a month): Painkiller Black Edition 60% off ($3.99)

Catshade on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If you don't already have painkiller: Black edition, you no longer have any excuse. BUY IT.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Only because you said it heenato <3

(and about a million others)

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I remember enjoying painkiller on the OXbox.

At that price might give it a whirl.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if I have it
    It happens a lot
    buying games i have.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Anachronox is oh so awesome, and oh so broken, all at the same time.

It needs to be experienced.

I'm kind of sad that I wasn't able to actually finish that game before I lost the install discs.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Painkiller weapon in the eponymous game is one of civilizations crowning achievements.

Is it a melee weapon? Is it a projectile weapon? Is it a lazar beem? Is it a food processor?

Yes!

One of the most creative and fun weapon designs I've seen in any game ever. The fact that the game then throws billions of whacky enemies at you to mow down with the thing is proof of some kind of intelligent, organizing principle behind the universe.

Drake on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Ma, I really wish that GoG would snag the rights for Summoner. I recall having a lot of fun with that game before the discs were stolen along with my first PC when I was younger.
    I thought I was the only one that liked the Summoner games!
    I love the first one! Never did try the 2nd one though.

Arrath on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TychoCelchuuu on