As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

get a job filling daric's holes (DOUBLE ENTENDRE) [JOB THREAD] {BRACKETS}

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ya, we're hoping that people get used to seeing it.

Our boss already warned everyone to be prepared to hear 'Have you made a ticket yet?'
    Not sure if everyone took him seriously though. They'll learn eventually though!
    ...I hope

skettios on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    skettios wrote: »

Our boss already warned everyone to be prepared to hear 'Have you made a ticket yet?'
    Not sure if everyone took him seriously though. They'll learn eventually though!
    ...I hope

Yeah they won't.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

...I hope

working in software dev has trained me that if it's not in QC/JIRA/Rally/SF/TTP it does not exist and I am not accountable for it.

The downside is that works both ways.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    Got recruited for a gig in SF.

Not sure how I'd fare in the bay area.

Do you like it in the butt?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SF is kinda hilly, not good for a cripple like you Dan.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »

Do you like it in the butt?

DO I

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Going to board my flight back to NY shortly. My UK trip was awesome and completely exhausting. Doing NY-London then London-Edinburgh then a day of meetings in Edinburgh before flying back to London before a huge meeting the next day right before flying back to NY is really tiring. Who knew?

On the plus side, work-wise it was amazing, and my suitcase is filled to the brim with Scotch and cashmere.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Only take it if it's Jay's old job.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    johnny_rockerjohnny_rocker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Only take it if it's Jay's old job.

ouch

johnny_rocker on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    instantrimshot.com

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We're going to be looking for a Junior Graphic Designer for our Atlanta office pretty soon. The job isn't posted yet, but I can send along any portfolios or resumes if anyone is interested. I can't pull any strings though, so you're all at the mercy of my boss, and better have some skill.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh right.
    I guess my company is looking for:
    Editorial Intern (Part-time)
    Director of Project Management
    Marketing Director (Part-time)

pm me for details

skettios on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Way to be an inspiration to us all Bowen.

Now show the man by surfing the internet until work starts then go take a shit on the companies dime.

this is every day of my week.

It's really great because it saves a ton on toilet paper. Toilet paper expense was my nondisclosed compensation during my interview. And if I can deal with the pain of holding it all weekend, as a guy, I can drop my toilet paper usage down to near 0.

Pooping on-the-clock is my favorite thing about being a grown-up

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    One day I'll be a manager of software devs and no longer have to program. That'll be a good day.

Plus I like designing software way more than coding it.

bowen on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know of any part-time computering (repair, tech support, administration) jobs in the Hampton Roads, VA area? I'm looking for supplemental income, and something that won't conflict with my full-time job. I would also be open to barista-ing, bartending, or possibly donating plasma.

godmode on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    We're going to be looking for a Junior Graphic Designer for our Atlanta office pretty soon. The job isn't posted yet, but I can send along any portfolios or resumes if anyone is interested. I can't pull any strings though, so you're all at the mercy of my boss, and better have some skill.

Has Tank sent you his portfolio?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i get up in the morning and i think 'oh boy, after work i can go home and read a lot of gamers expound upon privilege to each other without taking a larger view'

and then i jump off the roof

every day

shattered tibia

Orik I would like your writing ability.

also your mutant healing factor.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am involved in what is going to be a new world record.

Can't say what it is though.

Other than we are going to take that record back off the Canadians

largest pub crawl?

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

He has not yet. I sent him a message to send those along on Facebook but haven't heard back. I figured he was busy at the time, or getting his portfolio/resume updated or something.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited April 2011

He has not yet. I sent him a message to send those along on Facebook but haven't heard back. I figured he was busy at the time, or getting his portfolio/resume updated or something.

He did mention that you messaged him. He just got his portfolio hosted online so I know he is tinkering with it a bit.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Was almost finished on my current project and the power went out. Crossing fingers for autosave.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Seeing the below on reddit made me realize, we haven't heard a mully coworker story in a little while! I miss those :(
    cVbU9.jpg

skettios on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mully doesn't come here much anymore :(

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do I help my brother get a job in my company? Do I even tell him about the job listing that is exactly what he wants/needs/is his dream job? I don't really want to work with my brother and I don't want to put myself on the line referring someone who I know isn't that great as far as work goes, especially when I just started working here yesterday. But it's my brother and he is mostly unemployed, but he has also never gotten a job by himself. And he is only mostly unemployed because he quit his last job so he could party.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Do I help my brother get a job in my company? Do I even tell him about the job listing that is exactly what he wants/needs/is his dream job? I don't really want to work with my brother and I don't want to put myself on the line referring someone who I know isn't that great as far as work goes, especially when I just started working here yesterday. But it's my brother and he is mostly unemployed, but he has also never gotten a job by himself. And he is only mostly unemployed because he quit his last job so he could party.

I would say no. It's great to want to help your brother but not if it could jeopardize your standing in your job.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maybe inform him about the position but recuse yourself from giving any inside advantage, reference or recommendation to the company, claiming conflict-of-interest?

That way if he does get the position, he's done so on his own merit and been able to win -or lose- the position without any input from you. In theory he's then gained (/lost) the position only through his own ability, not any attachment to you. And, if done in the right circumstances, it will allow you to maintain an independent profile within the organisation.

In my family, that's what would pass for scrupulous behaviour. But then, I'm not your family so I don't know if this would lead to screaming hysterics and being not invited to afters because of what-her-Nancy-said-about-our-Charlene.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Graves needs job.

Graves on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    Maybe inform him about the position but recuse yourself from giving any inside advantage, reference or recommendation to the company, claiming conflict-of-interest?

I have a very unique last name which means if his name shows up in the applications someone would go, hey, look at that, must be Kochi's relative? Then probably ask me about him which would put me in the same awkward position.

bluhbluh
    maybe I'm just being a dick and thinking poorly of my sibling

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

That way if he does get the position, he's done so on his own merit and been able to win -or lose- the position without any input from you. In theory he's then gained (/lost) the position only through his own ability, not any attachment to you. And, if done in the right circumstances, it will allow you to maintain an independent profile within the organisation.

In my family, that's what would pass for scrupulous behaviour. But then, I'm not your family so I don't know if this would lead to screaming hysterics and being not invited to afters because of what-her-Nancy-said-about-our-Charlene.

But they might want to know how he came across the position.. in which case he could lie, or he'll just say Kochi, which puts her into the picture.

Is he currently looking for a job seriously? Or just doing the unemployed thing.

skettios on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Getting a sibling/close friend a job at your workplace is almost never a good idea, you're right to be wary.

If he is hired make it very clear that you are separate entities as Fishman said, even if you sound kind of jerkish.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

But they might want to know how he came across the position.. in which case he could lie, or he'll just say Kochi, which puts her into the picture.

Is he currently looking for a job seriously? Or just doing the unemployed thing.

He is working part time at a videogame store and they aren't giving him enough hours to even pay his rent with. So he's looking for a job, I don't know how seriously but he's had an interview or two and not gotten it.

However it could be his fault they're not giving him enough hours so I don't feel bad for him at all, not when he has been fired from one job in his field for playing pokemon all day and quit one so he could dick around. But again, that could just be me being a dick because I don't want him to be as successful as I am or work at the same place and have to see him.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, can you culturally not just say "I'm sorry, I don't think it's appropriate for me to say anything because he's family" over there?

Sure as shit could do it here.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't think you're being a dick, Kochi.
    Just don't tell him about it.
    Not your job to be finding him work.

skettios on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    i get up in the morning and i think 'oh boy, after work i can go home and read a lot of gamers expound upon privilege to each other without taking a larger view'

and then i jump off the roof

every day

shattered tibia

Orik I would like your writing ability.

also your mutant healing factor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d5_GK7IQ3U

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    At my job, we work in the buddy system. You're supposed to help the server next to you basically. I noticed one of my buddy's tables had a lady with an empty glass of water so I came by and refilled it for her.

Later on, she stopped me while I was walking and grabbed both my hands and slipped some money into one of them.

Then she told me "You are so nice you have such a servant's heart."

On the one hand, I was kind of offended cus bitch, I ain't no servant, but on the other hand I just got tipped by a table that wasn't even mine.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man, can you culturally not just say "I'm sorry, I don't think it's appropriate for me to say anything because he's family" over there?

Sure as shit could do it here.

I'd think that would just be super suspicious and put a bad light on it

also
    I get a bonus for referring people who get hired, so I mean, if he is going to get hired anyways

LIFE IS COMPLEX BEING AN ADULT UGGGHH

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't think you're being a dick, Kochi.
    Just don't tell him about it.
    Not your job to be finding him work.

plus if he quit his last job because it was cutting into his dicking around time, it's a trap of his own devising

daric: the servant's heart is a concept from Christianity in which you do exactly what you did

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Love the way that guy just starts dancing at the end.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, that explains it then. Whatever, money I don't have to pay tip pool on is money I'll take.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    the fifth element is one of my favourite things

Orikaeshigitae on
This discussion has been closed.