As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game industry thread: no, Shiggy's still not dead. Damn April Fool's.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Randy Pitchford, president of Duke Nukem Forever developer Gearbox Software, says that publishers are forcing multiplayer modes onto games they do not suit because of an obsessive desire to keep pace with blockbusters like Call Of Duty.

Dude states obvious, news at 11.

Dragkonias on
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Counterpoint: Cars was John Lasseter's pet project and was absolutely the worst Pixar movie.

Plus, he had little to do with Tangled at all.

So really, it's a co-incidence. I'd put more of Pixar's recent success on other people too, like Brad Bird.

Yet little kids absolutely love Cars and it has made huge amounts of money thanks to those kids wanting the toys. There is a reason why they have Cars Duplos, soon to be Legos, and why they were able to create a bunch of shorts and then sell them on DVD/Blu Ray. Also, they have never stopped selling die-cast cars. And they have Carsland being build in the Disney California park.

Anyway, I just laugh any time I hear people talk about Cars being the worst Pixar movie when it seems to be the movie that has had the most success with kids.

AZChristopher on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Counterpoint: Borderlands - a game that is absolutely perfect for multiplayer - had such a hack job netcode on PC that I actually bought the console version just to be able to play with friends.

So maybe Gearbox are the last people who should be mouthing off about multiplayer.

The_Scarab on
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Randy Pitchford, president of Duke Nukem Forever developer Gearbox Software, says that publishers are forcing multiplayer modes onto games they do not suit because of an obsessive desire to keep pace with blockbusters like Call Of Duty.

Also, multiplayer is what helped Borderlands get so huge. Most people I know who purchased it did so because other people wanted to play Co-Op.

Does every game need it? No. But every company should spend some money researching the idea because it sure helps out in sales. Just look at AC Brotherhood. Did AC need to have a multiplayer aspect? No. But it sure seems to have worked.

Edit: And when was the last time Gearbox worked on a game that didn't have multiplayer?

AZChristopher on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Taking the argument for single player in the Diablo 3 thread, I think every single game should have multiplayer. The fact that more than 1 person played Fable 2 online reinforces that. No matter how bad the multiplayer people will play it.

Fizban140 on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honestly, it isn't like it's not a valid tactic.

I mean I know plenty of people, people from this forum even, who believe that a game isn't worth buying at full price unless it has some kind of multiplayer.

Dragkonias on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Counterpoint: Cars was John Lasseter's pet project and was absolutely the worst Pixar movie.

So really, it's a co-incidence. I'd put more of Pixar's recent success on other people too, like Brad Bird.

Yet little kids absolutely love Cars and it has made huge amounts of money thanks to those kids wanting the toys. There is a reason why they have Cars Duplos, soon to be Legos, and why they were able to create a bunch of shorts and then sell them on DVD/Blu Ray. Also, they have never stopped selling die-cast cars. And they have Carsland being build in the Disney California park.

Anyway, I just laugh any time I hear people talk about Cars being the worst Pixar movie when it seems to be the movie that has had the most success with kids.

Saying Cars is the worst Pixar film is like being disappointed because you missed a number on the lottery and "only" won a few hundred thousand dollars. It's the worst of a great bunch, but compared to every animated film released it's still well up there.

RMS Oceanic on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Counterpoint: Borderlands - a game that is absolutely perfect for multiplayer - had such a hack job netcode on PC that I actually bought the console version just to be able to play with friends.

So maybe Gearbox are the last people who should be mouthing off about multiplayer.

Pitchford does seem to be getting a bit vocal these last few years.

As for Dead Space 2, I thought the "hurf useless multiplayer tickbox" attitude was from before it released, because largely people seem to be liking it once they could actually, you know, play it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited April 2011
    Well...most of the complaints about Dead Space 2 were that the MP looked like a L4D clone(which it was more or less).

I think most people were just worried that it would detract from the main game, but the main game was still awesome so people didn't mind it as much.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2011
    Dead Space 2's multiplayer was also brilliant and totally worked in context. It's a terrible example to use of shoehorned multiplayer because it was totally bespoke and while a L4D clone it may be, it's a particularly good one.

The_Scarab on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Metroid Prime 2 is a perfect example of a game that had shoehorned multiplayer that was only half thought out.

I like having single player only experiences, and hate when they shoehorn that silly stuff in.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited April 2011
    Honestly, it isn't like it's not a valid tactic.

I mean I know plenty of people, people from this forum even, who believe that a game isn't worth buying at full price unless it has some kind of multiplayer.

Not to mention that it helps keep copies in the home longer instead of having it taken back to Gamestop and traded in.

I think Bulletstorm is a great example. Short game with no competitive multiplayer and it sold less than many of us would have expected. I had no idea that it didn't have competitive multiplayer until I heard about the lack of it on a podcast.

AZChristopher on
    edited April 2011
    In fact both Dead Space 2 and AC: Brotherhood's multiplayer were treated with heavy handfulls of salty skepticism on announcement, only for both games and their respective multiplayer efforts to be praised by critics.

So, swing and a miss.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Because of Borderlands (and the absolute wonder and majesty thereof) I'll let Randy say whatever the hell he wants.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Also, multiplayer is what helped Borderlands get so huge. Most people I know who purchased it did so because other people wanted to play Co-Op.

Does every game need it? No. But every company should spend some money researching the idea because it sure helps out in sales. Just look at AC Brotherhood. Did AC need to have a multiplayer aspect? No. But it sure seems to have worked.

Edit: And when was the last time Gearbox worked on a game that didn't have multiplayer?

I merely scanned what he said, but I was getting the impression he was talking about games that didn't inherently need MP. Borderlands, as an FPS, is not one of those games.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

But this is a symptom of the problem, not an exception to the rule.

Of course, it could all be explained with the notion that not every Pixar film needs to cater to both children and adults.

Sheep on
    edited April 2011

I merely scanned what he said, but I was getting the impression he was talking about games that didn't inherently need MP. Borderlands, as an FPS, is not one of those games.

Which is great and all but Gearbox makes FPS games. So the only type of games he actively has knowledge on developing for are FPS games.

AZChristopher on
    edited April 2011
    Sheep wrote: »

But this is a symptom of the problem, not an exception to the rule.

Of course, it could all be explained with the notion that not every Pixar film needs to cater to both children and adults.

Exactly, Cars is a perfect franchise that mainly is aimed at the younger crowd, although the homage to the classic years gone by would fly right over most kids heads.

That is what I loved about the movie. Plus on a basic level, Mater makes me laugh. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ubisoft producing 15 plus titles for 3DS, each more compelling then the last, oh look ponies!
    Ubisoft brand development director Damien Moret thinks the 3DS will be more successful than the DS, adding that the publisher has "more than 15 3DS games in development"

Ubisoft positioned itself as the biggest third-party supporter of the 3DS at launch, with Asphalt 3D, Combat of Giants Dinosaurs 3D, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, and Rayman 3D available when the console was released.

"Ubisoft has a strong partnership with Nintendo, and we’ve invested in creating compelling games for the 3DS – we currently have more than 15 3DS games in development," Moret said in an interview with NowGamer.

“xxx”

"Nintendo does a great job of creating markets around their new ideas. With Street Pass, the 3D camera and rendering and other innovations, they’re in a great position to do it again with the 3DS."

Moret added that Ubisoft expects 3DS to trump its predecessor.
    "Put those things together with Nintendo’s existing handheld install base, and our expectations are that the 3DS will be an even bigger success than the original DS."

Ubisoft has Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D and a Driver spin-off among its upcoming 3DS titles. Have you traded in your old DS for a 3DS yeat? Let us know.

Cade on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Goddamn it Ubisoft.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stranglehold is an excellent example of shoehorned multiplayer. I remember hearing about it being added in because higher ups wanted multiplayer as a feature.

Couscous on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't seen Cars

But there's no way in hell it's worse than Wall-E

UnbreakableVow on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    Goddamn it Ubisoft.

It's Ubisoft. That's what it does.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited April 2011
    I haven't seen Cars

Meh. I don't know...as least Wall-E was an adorable Johnny-5 wannabe...

Cars was kind of boring I felt.

Dragkonias on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nothing adorable about robots

Fucking Pixar softening our kids up to robots with their bullshit hippie environmentalist film, we'll be helpless when the revolution comes

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2011
    I haven't seen Cars

C'mon now Unbreakable, I like you....don't ruin it. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited April 2011
    Hop is the number one movie in America and they are doing another Fast and Furious movie.

The onslaught of comic book movies can't come soon enough!

Rehab on
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I haven't seen Cars

C'mon now Unbreakable, I like you....don't ruin it. :(

Dude is wrong about everything. Got to keep up that streak!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited April 2011
    Not true, I recall that he also appreciated Donkey Kong Country Returns for its greatness.

The whole Lady Gaga thing is probably an inside joke of some sort.

Rehab on
    edited April 2011
    Meh...I'm not all that hyped for summer myself.

I mean...looking at list of the "blockbusters"

Thor - I'll go see but meh.
    Pirates of the Carribean - meh
    Kung Fu Panda 2 - maybe
    Cars 2 - Meh
    X-Men: First Class - After Origins and 3...I don't know
    Transformers 3 - Transformers 2 pissed me off
    Green Latern - Maybe
    Super 8 - Still don't know what it's about
    Captain America - Meh...maybe

So...who knows.

Dragkonias on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/05/popcap-launches-edgy-4th-and-battery-label/
    Say "hello" to PopCap Games' little friend: 4th & Battery. The "experimental" label was created to give PopCap's designers and developers a sandbox to create the games that don't fit into the casual game studio's image. Essentially, 4th & Battery is the Touchstone Pictures to PopCap's Disney-esque public persona.

The new label is expected to produce several games per year, with Unpleasant Horse being the first out of the stable. The game will have players taking on the role of a winged horse who destroys small birds and knocks more pleasant horses out of the sky -- into a meat grinder. The game will be available for free on iOS devices later this month.

So, yeah, 4th & Battery is totally what a mid-life crisis manifests as when you've made a fortune off games like Bejeweled and Peggle.
    Finally, casual games for immature teenagers.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/05/sony-uk-boss-ray-maguire-departs/
    Ray Maguire, Sony Computer Entertainment's UK managing director, has decided to leave the company. Maguire helped establish the PlayStation brand in Europe, with a career in the division that spans 17 years. He made the choice to leave after "a lot of soul searching" and described his future personal growth as "essential."

Sony Europe president Andrew House wished Maguire luck on his future endeavors. No word yet on where Maguire is going next or where Sony will look for a replacement.

Couscous on
    edited April 2011
    Angry Birds
    Unpleasant Horse

How about Peeved Ursine next?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited April 2011
    Well that puts a new twist on Peggle: Nights.

The_Scarab on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Summer blockbusters almost always disappoint. That is the nature of wild, ridiculous, hype.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    edited April 2011
    Unpleasant Horse

Brilliant and awesomely funny. I cheer you sir.

I cheer you.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    edited April 2011
    Summer blockbusters almost always disappoint. That is the nature of wild, ridiculous, hype.

Meh...I never have unrealistic expectations about anything.

I know what I'm getting from popcorn flicks. Some explosions, witty one-liners, DRAMA!!! and such.

Just that I don't think any of the movies listed will have hefty doses of those things.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2011
    Angry Birds
    Unpleasant Horse

Irate Cocks, Mischievous Beavers.

Rehab on
    edited April 2011
    Meh...I'm not all that hyped for summer myself.

I mean...looking at list of the "blockbusters"

Thor - Looks awesome
    Pirates of the Carribean - I don't really like the franchise
    Kung Fu Panda 2 - Blech, the first was ok, but dreamworks
    Cars 2 - This looks meh to me too, but then again, I was surprised by how much I liked the first
    X-Men: First Class - After Origins and 3...I don't know (agreed)
    Transformers 3 - Transformers 2 pissed me off (super agreed)
    Green Latern - I love the Lantern story, and Ryan, so I'm optimistic
    Super 8 - Still don't know what it's about (ditto)
    Captain America - I'm really looking forward to this one too.

So...who knows.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited April 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    Angry Birds
    Unpleasant Horse

Irate Cocks, Mischievous Beavers.

Tweaked Ass

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited April 2011
    Unpleasant Horse is still the winner.

themightypuck on