As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Good Old Games thread. Fine the new Good Old Games thread. [GOG.com]

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
GO TO THE NEW GOG.COM THREAD PLZ

Good Old Games will now sell Good New Games, still no DRM
gogfallout.pnggogfreespace.png
gogaow.pnggogiwar.png

What is GOG?
GOG stood for Good Old Games. It is run by the guys who made The Witcher (CD Projekt) and basically it is every PC game that has ever been awesome, plus a few that weren't awesome, online. Digitally distributed. For cheap. With no DRM. Fixed to work in XP and Vista and Windows 7. And they come with extras, like manuals and forum avatars and soundtracks and booze.*
gogad4.jpg
Horrible JPEG Compression Care of my Copy of MSPaint

What?!
Remember Fallout and Fallout 2? What about MDK? Or Sacrifice? Giants: Citizen Kabuto? Hostile Waters? Soldiers: Heroes of World War II? Operation Flashpoint? Descent? If you haven't heard of some of these, then you're in luck, because now you have a chance to discover them for the low, low price of less than $10. There are so many gems on this site that you could buy one game a day for a year and you'd probably only start buying crap in June.

*No booze.
goglistey7.jpg

Check out GoG.com's booth babes at PAX!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcHyQNf8QBk

TychoCelchuuu on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People fucking love rednecks man.

Zxerol on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Still waiting with baited breath for an Interplay sale.

Redneck Rampage is wanted. I would squeal appropriately for that sale.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I bought XIII. With a little ini fiddling to get a decent FOV and widescreen resolution going and forcing some AA and Anisotropic Filtering in my nVidia control panel the game looks pretty damn spanky. Also, David Duchovny is hilariously flat in his delivery while Adam West is his usual glorious self. It's pretty fun going Jason Bourne on dudes with stuff like broken glass, chairs, ashtrays and all kinds of other stuff. And the comic book style, cel shaded presentation, complete with paneled views, word bubbles and visualized sound effects is pretty neat. I'm having fun and I think the uneven difficulty is much more manageable with M&KB than it was when I played it on my OXbox back in the day.

Drake on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I loved XIII on my oXbox. I may well have to pick it up on GoG since the disc went missing long, long ago.

Arrath on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to buy Painkiller Black on sale, but I know the chances of my actually playing it are low. Classic GoG dilemma.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    From previous thread:
    LockeCole wrote: »
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Anachronox is oh so awesome, and oh so broken, all at the same time.

It needs to be experienced.

I'm kind of sad that I wasn't able to actually finish that game before I lost the install discs.

I was actually going to do a LP of it one day, but I got to a point in the game in which a game breaking bug occurred and I was never able to figure out how to get around it. Not sure if it was an installation fault or a game fault.

Seriously though, if you liked Beyond Good & Evil, Anachronox is highly recommended. It's starting to show its age a bit now, but it's still a fun game. Just be prepared for the fact that there is no ending :cry:

WMain00 on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never actually played XIII back in the day, but it's one of those games I remember wishing I did (much like the very much maligned Advent Rising). Luckily GoG to the rescue. Drake, I took your advice and changed a few things around in the ini settings and forced a couple of graphics changes. It doesn't look too bad at all, if you like the cell shading look. Which I do.

One thing that is going to make me laugh during the entire game is that I just can't not hear Mayor West anytime Adam West speaks.

Edit: The only real problem I have with this game is it's making me really nostalgic to play Jet Set Radio.

Decoy on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I got XIII free with a video card many years ago. I believe it was on 4 cd's. Would be kinda nice to have a single installer.

I've also never played Painkiller. Hmmmm.

Sir Carcass on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CDProjekt will have another Spring conference, with GOG announcing a new publisher on board
    GOG has lined up new games, new publishers, new site updates, and other new things for you as we roll into Spring. But we're not going to talk about them here in this news. Instead, we're inviting you to attend CD Projekt's CDP Days conference—online!

CDP Days Online Conference - 11:00 am - 12:30 am E.D.T.* *14 April 2011

Watch the conference starting on the 14th of April at noon EST (14:00 Greenwich Mean Time) while CD Projekt RED talks about The Witcher 2 and showcases exclusive gameplay, and then at 1:00 p.m. EST (15:00 GMT) GOG takes the stage for a half hour to wow you with all the fantastic news that we have coming soon to an awesome downloadable games distributor near you.

You'll be able to watch the CDP Days conference LIVE on GOG.com, so be sure to check in with us next Thursday and find out which publisher will be responsible for the next wave of GOG titles!

If they need to announce this one publisher on its own, it must be BIG. I wonder if at last we'll get EA...?

Catshade on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Catshade wrote: »
    If they need to announce this one publisher on its own, it must be BIG. I wonder if at last we'll get EA...?

GOG: Now $20 and with DRM!

Sir Carcass on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope to God it's EA. They're sitting on the biggest treasure trove in PC gaming history, and are doing absolutely fuckall with it.

But given their recent strategies I sincerely doubt it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited April 2011
    GOG: Now $20 and with DRM!

Naaah. That won't happen unless a company like Gamestop somehow bought GOG. And that's just unlikely.

Catshade on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Right now, Space Rangers is my go to game on my laptop. I've stopped thinking about the Klissians as robots and started thinking about them as spaceship zombies, spreading and feasting on our galaxy.

Had a holy shit moment, I keep hearing about the mother zombie, and I expect her to be at some remote corner of our part of the galaxy, behind her massive army, hiding.

No, turns out she's a massive spinning onion bulb with green highlights, and she zips around from system to system. BEST! GAME! EVER!

RoyceSraphim on
    edited April 2011
    Space Rangers 2 bought'd.

Looks like GoG is getting back into my area of gaming preference again. I was starting to feel a tad jilted during all of the Infinity Engine madness. I know most of you guys love em, but I can't stand D&D on the computer. It just doesn't work for me.

And anyone played Star Wolves? Is it full of annoying junk or is it a fun time? I really like the idea behind those games, but I can never get a feel for if I'd like them or not from reading about them.

edit: Ah screw it, Star Wolves bought'd too. I'll let you guys know what I think after I get some time with it.

Drake on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I hope to God it's EA. They're sitting on the biggest treasure trove in PC gaming history, and are doing absolutely fuckall with it.

But given their recent strategies I sincerely doubt it.

Oh god if I could get my mitts on a Windows 7 copy of Dune II I would do terrible, unspeakable things to it.

Kelor on
  • PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Right now, Space Rangers is my go to game on my laptop. I've stopped thinking about the Klissians as robots and started thinking about them as spaceship zombies, spreading and feasting on our galaxy.

Had a holy shit moment, I keep hearing about the mother zombie, and I expect her to be at some remote corner of our part of the galaxy, behind her massive army, hiding.

No, turns out she's a massive spinning onion bulb with green highlights, and she zips around from system to system. BEST! GAME! EVER!

Bought Space Rangers 2 Reboot during the Xmas sale. Best purchase I made back then. Love that game.

Pheace on
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My need for Dungeon Keeper goes unsated. Help me GOG - you're my only hope.

hamdingers on
    edited April 2011
    First clue for Thursday's announcement:
    6ec6e5f08d57474c7a342399fa692e103b15906e.jpg

Catshade on
    edited April 2011
    Wing Commander

Or Elite, I guess.

Sir Carcass on
  • PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please let it be Master of Orion :(

Ow, new release. Curses!

Please let it be Alpha Centauri :(

Pheace on
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's a sequence in Ultima Underworld 2 where you enter the Ethereal Void (a very starry place) in your dreams.

All that said, I'm sure I should recognise that font. Dunno if it's relevant, but if it is, I really ought to be able to place it.

mattclem on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope it's Wing Commander, because not only would that mean EA is on board, but it's one of the few major PC gaming series that I've never, ever played.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OP fails for not mentioning GOG's disastrous marketing fail last fall. :P

That said, new GOG-thread smell.

And to contribute to speculation, if it was EA, that would be absolutely fantastic. But here is another thought: what if it is Lucasarts?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TIE Fighter! The original version, with iMuse system intact!

(never gonna happen, but I can dream, right? Actually, it would be disastrous, as then I'd have to go drop $100+ on a new flight stick...)

AnakinOU on
    edited April 2011
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    TIE Fighter! The original version, with iMuse system intact!

(never gonna happen, but I can dream, right? Actually, it would be disastrous, as then I'd have to go drop $100+ on a new flight stick...)

Hmm, I should see how my X-52 Pro works with it.

What's the current status of running the game under Windows 7? I think I have both the DOS and Win95 versions around somewhere.

Sir Carcass on
    edited April 2011
    yes moar space gaem GOG

I needs my sci fi after the massive deluge of fantasy Infinity Engine games.

Star Wolves is decent good times btw. Glad I got it in the 1C sale along with Space Rangers 2.

Drake on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    they should pick up old games that no longer have publishers. Re-volt, I want me some mall racing.

Big Classy on
    edited April 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    yes moar space gaem GOG

Star Wolves is decent good times btw. Glad I got it in the 1C sale along with Space Rangers 2.

I was looking at Star Wolves, but the seers on Metacritic were not too kind....

DoctorArch on
    edited April 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    yes moar space gaem GOG

I was looking at Star Wolves, but the seers on Metacritic were not too kind....

If you care about stuff like writing and voice acting then stay away. I derive much pleasure from hilariously bad writing/translations and voice acting. Star Wolves really delivers that for me.

Plus the pausable real time space battles, ship customization, pilots with RPG skill trees, tons of loot that is automatically picked up by your carrier as soon as it pulls into range is fun stuff.

It has warts, and I don't know if I'd pay full price for it, but the sale price was totally worth it.

Also, Metacritic is the devil. That place has done so much damage to gaming.

Drake on
    edited April 2011
    Second clue is up!
    f5f6508623eef9185cf6e54a8964954ec4a18b09.jpg

Catshade on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

If this is the fucking Lucasarts back catalog...

TIE Fighter and Outlaws and so on...

Holy shiiiiit.

Otherwise I'm sure it'll be neat either way. But still. LUCAS FUCKING ARTS. Back when it was Lucasfilm Games, even!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Lucasarts" is too obvious, now. Right?

AnakinOU on
  • Chuck GoodrichChuck Goodrich Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If this is the old LucasArts offerings they're hinting at...then I will become a religious man.

For my prayers will have been answered.

ohpleasegodohpleaseletitbeTieFighter
    ANNOUNCING THE DIG NOW ON GOG!!!!1

Chuck Goodrich on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That was what first jumped out at me.

The only thing that doesn't fit is the font in the first clue, but if they did that in Star Wars font it would have been screamingly obvious.

Outlaws though? I will buy that in a heartbeat.

Most of the back catalog is on Steam already, but there are some gaps missing that I'd love to see filled. EA's back catalog fit but I can't think of any truly iconic western property they have.

Kelor on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I'm thinking Lucasarts, too, but just how deep will it go? There's a ton of LA games I'd love GoG versions of.

Sir Carcass on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If this really is an LA promotion and they release Full Throttle...

Well, I'll be a happy man.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would give GoG all my money if they got Grim Fandango. Oh, how I hope.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AfterLife, son!

Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Rebel Assault, FUCK, I mean TIE Fighter, please.

And as much as I WANT to say Curse and Grim, I still own those and have no problem running them and would rather see HD uprezing (not remakes. The graphics and voice and music are PERFECT on those games. They just need to be embiggened) for those beautiful bastards.

Medium Dave on
    edited April 2011
    Also, Metacritic is the devil. That place has done so much damage to gaming.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on Star Wolves 3, I might just get it next time a sale comes around. To be honest, I'm not a fan of metacritic in general, but they just took everyone's scores and made an average of them, which is what we all did on our own anyway. Probably the worst part is that people are more likely to look at the aggregate score instead of read the review as to why it got the score.

Oh, and who called Lucasarts first? :lol:

DoctorArch on
    edited April 2011
    Third clue...
    1af264092e76f1558965a134759e4e7a73dde429.jpg

Catshade on