As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

League of Legends!

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arcus wrote: »
    Priest wrote: »
    I usually go the following:

Junglewick:
    Beeline to Madred's Razor, then Speed Boots, Philo Stone, Sorc Boots, Guardian Angel, then, depending on Comp, I go Wit's End, Sunfire Cape, or a big MR item if I need.

Midwick:
    Can't decide on a good early item. Madred's Bloodrazor is too big to build early, and I need both boots and AS for me to feel in a good place with WW.

I'm also fairly n00b at this game but I do remember reading that you don't get the bonuses from more than one boots. I'm not sure which would take precedence but just 1 boots actually gives you a benefit at a time.

I've heard of people just forgoing boots on ww all together, blood scent erry day.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not buying boots because of Blood Scent is silly

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Silly like Corp's posting

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drool wrote: »
    You forgot Galio on your awesome farmers list Bethyrn. It's nice have a tank who can just hold a lane for ages or bounce between bottom/mid and get every creep kill.

Also a Philo Stone is not what you want on Warwick, the health regen is just a waste of gold, and rushing Bloodrazor is almost always a bad idea as he needs to be tanky to do anything.

warwick without the bloodrazor isn't a threat(really just the recurve bow is what he needs), and he's plenty tanky in the early game with no/little tank gear. that's what makes him great, you don't need any tank gear to be tanky early on. I feel much more comfortable taking hits with warwick than say rammus if both of them only have maybe 1 half finished item and boots.

Jars on
  • Options
    ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    speed boots = boots 1

I always get mercs on ww. for me it's mini madred+boots, then mercs+recurve, then finish madred. then SV, GA, whatever tank items. or a BV if I really need it. mercs and madreds gives me 100 armor/mr at about 10 minutes which is really nice.

Oh duh. That makes perfect sense. That reminds me, I remember someone asking about WW ult not suppressing the target and they just walk away. I know cleanse or a QSS can get you out of it, but I'm unsure whether a BV would stop it. If it did, that would explain why they can just walk away, since the BV would just absorb the suppress.

Arcus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    BV will stop a WW ult, and cleanse no longer works on WW ult since it doesn't affect suppression

Can't call this post silly

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You forgot Galio on your awesome farmers list Bethyrn. It's nice have a tank who can just hold a lane for ages or bounce between bottom/mid and get every creep kill.
    Galio is just a well-kept secret.

Along with Caitlyn.

Also, Garen's Judgment is the dumbest thing at the moment. Like, the tooltip is almost as bad as the tooltip for Nasus' ult.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Perfectly safe, tested and confirmed by Riot.

Yes. Riot. Most reliable software engineers ever. I'm totally reassured now.
    Never mind that (unless I've misunderstood how empirical replays work) the program itself is literally a key catcher. :lol:

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Talith wrote: »
    So it just has the chance to crit? No special scaling?

I'm not sure if the chance is parsed per second or per tick, but yes. But bonus damage only.

If we are talking about Garen's judgement here then it rolls for crits each tick, only the bonus ad's worth of damage can crit, it's not a full damage crit, and it does not benefit from +crit damage bonuses.

It should also be noted that his decisive strike cannot crit either. It makes building inifinty edge on him less than desireable. :(

Wait, are you sure? I was just reading that bonus crit dmg IS applied. Did they change this at some point?

Link

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    116 crit ticks with non put together infinity edge

130 crit ticks with infinity edge

tested just now in a custom

BOOMROASTED

Get with the program talith lrn2infinityedge

you dudes have obviously never carried games as infinity edge rush garen

It's like you dudes have never played the game yo

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Interesting. Too many posts to reply to.

Regarding the boots, I believe you're correct, you can't have 2 boots at once and get the speed boost, I'm talking about building speed boots into Merc/Berserk/Sorc Treads.

Madred's being requisite. I see the uses of getting things like GA/SV/BV among others, however, it would seem to me that building WW too tanky would defy his role late game. He's a terrible initiator without his Ult, and as long as you pick your Q targets well, he can sap life every 5 seconds like a champ. "I'd like 20% of your health Cho'Gath. Nao Plz."

Perhaps it's because I misunderstand what certain stats cap at.

I'm under the current understanding that AS is multiplicative, not additive, so 40% AS boost is a multiplier. Correct me if I'm wrong. because of this, I like stacking AS items, as it's harder to reach that 2.5 Attack-Per-Second cap being multiplicative rather than additive.

People keep talking about 100Armor / 100 MR: Is that a hard or soft cap?

Also, if people are going to chat up the virtues of Tanky WW, do you mastery into Defense as well? So far I've been planning a 20/0/10 build. (Though still only lvl 9)

Priest on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That leaguecraft post is from before 1.0.0.107 where they changed the bonus damage of Judgment to only scale from bonus Attack Damge, by the way.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/V1.0.0.107

Bethryn on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    That leaguecraft post is from before 1.0.0.107 where they changed the bonus damage of Judgment to only scale from bonus Attack Damge, by the way.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/V1.0.0.107

Yea I knew it was old, that's why I asked if they made a change to the way crit worked on it... BUT this is all moot because the GREATEST OF ALL TIME just proved that it does work.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stacking AS is not usually worth it if you don't have a lot of AD behind it or if you don't have something like Wit's End, Bloodrazor, or an ability like Vorpal Spikes

Also many champs have an AS buff ability which is usually enough to cover AS needs, though getting a recurve bow isn't the worst idea

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Regarding the boots, I believe you're correct, you can't have 2 boots at once and get the speed boost, I'm talking about building speed boots into Merc/Berserk/Sorc Treads.

Madred's being requisite. I see the uses of getting things like GA/SV/BV among others, however, it would seem to me that building WW too tanky would defy his role late game. He's a terrible initiator without his Ult, and as long as you pick your Q targets well, he can sap life every 5 seconds like a champ. "I'd like 20% of your health Cho'Gath. Nao Plz."

I'm under the current understanding that AS is multiplicative, not additive, so 40% AS boost is a multiplier. Correct me if I'm wrong. because of this, I like stacking AS items, as it's harder to reach that 2.5 Attack-Per-Second cap being multiplicative rather than additive.

Also, if people are going to chat up the virtues of Tanky WW, do you mastery into Defense as well? So far I've been planning a 20/0/10 build. (Though still only lvl 9)

If you do not have all that stuff and you can't get a Q off because they horribly fucking stun you to death you're gonna wish you had all that armor and life

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

If you do not have all that stuff and you can't get a Q off because they horribly fucking stun you to death you're gonna wish you had all that armor and life

You could equally say that about a Carry, couldn't you?

I agree that getting SV OR GA OR BV is a great idea, but not all of them. Right now I'm thinking about running Bloodrazor, Sorc or Merc, GA, Wit's End, Bloodthirster, Something Tanky.

Also, what does "I rush a DFG" mean?

Priest on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

You could equally say that about a Carry.

Carries don't initiate fights the majority of the time and come in when stuns are blown

WW's ult virtually demands you to initiate

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There is no such thing as building Warwick "too tanky". He will still put out good deeps, even if almost all his items are defensive.

x6qEV.jpg
    Also, what does "I rush a DFG" mean?
    It means the first (second maybe after boots) item you get is a Deathfire Grasp.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Warmog's seems to be such a waste on WW though. Wouldn't he only see practical use out of the +Health?

Priest on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Who said anything about Warmog's?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    EDIT: FML. that's SV, not warmogs.

Brown armor on Green backgrounds. Nothing to see here.

Priest on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've had plenty of people walk away from warwick ults. "lol stunned!" no, I wasn't. I usually end my games with him with around 250 armor/200 mr. it's pretty great.

Jars on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah Bloodrazor is a late game item, it doesn't add tons of damage because you really don't get that many auto attacks in most fights thanks to all the CC and you being prime target when you ult. And your ult isn't going to take anyone from full to dead or anything even with Bloodrazor.

I have had way more success building tanky and being a pain in the ass, locking down a carry and making sure no one can run from a fight than trying to be a dumb melee auto attacker like so many Warwicks love to do.

Drool on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i played revive/teleport jarvan with merc treads and five hearts of glory and spent the entire game trolling my own team with my ult

my favorite was helping out at blue with a random cataclysm and having the enemy olaf suddenly whiff an axe throw in the middle of us

he couldn't move in to pick up his axes so he got hammered in the back door by a wandering teammate

it was like his ass was a castle wall and xin zhao's foot was a babylonian siege engine

i want to play brand even though he's wearing slacks or some shit

he looks like a homeless guy living in silent hill

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah Bloodrazor is a late game item, it doesn't add tons of damage because you really don't get that many auto attacks in most fights thanks to all the CC and you being prime target when you ult. And your ult isn't going to take anyone from full to dead or anything even with Bloodrazor.

I have had way more success building tanky and being a pain in the ass, locking down a carry and making sure no one can run from a fight than trying to be a dumb melee auto attacker like so many Warwicks love to do.

Interesting take. It's not that I disagree, I don't have enough experience to do so. These opinions are greatly appreciated. I've just previous heard so many people laud the bread and butter nature of Bloodrazor's damage.

Earlier people mentioned dropping the Philo stone, but in my personal experience, if I don't have the blue buff, until about level 12 I'm mana starved.

Priest on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    warwick is pretty boring

play a manly character

SPELL PEN MUNDO

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Warwick is a test.

You only pass the test if you can get focused by a tower for 20 seconds.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    warwick is pretty boring

play a manly character

SPELL PEN MUNDO

For the record, I greatly enjoy those little blue bolts Ryze shoots at me in Mid. They're cute. Until I hit 6 and click R Skillup so fast that I'm on his ass giving him the furry what-for.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Warwick is a test.

You only pass the test if you can get focused by a tower for 20 seconds.

I do rather enjoy having high health on WW and completely tailing somebody past 2 towers to kill them and then run off.

Priest on
  • Options
    BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The key to ww is not to initiate with his ult. Save it to reposition and prevent people from escaping a fight.

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • Options
    DeadPixelSocietyDeadPixelSociety Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Played a weird game yesterday with a Shaco tanking and an AD Zilean.

We won.

DeadPixelSociety on
    XNA Game In Progress: You Are The Castle
    Twitter: @deadpxlsociety
    SC2: DeadPixel.211 (1v1 gold, 2v2 + Draykaz gold)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Batmantis wrote: »
    The key to ww is not to initiate with his ult. Save it to reposition and prevent people from escaping a fight.
    This isn't really true.

There are loads of possible uses for Warwick's ult, ranging from initiation to burst/CC prevention to saving your own life. The point is just to make sure that for whatever purpose you're using it, you're judicious in when you choose to use it.

A Warwick initiation when they have all their CC up and your team is slightly out of reach, and you're initiating on a bruiser or tank is likely to end badly. On the other hand, initiate on their main carry, with someone behind you ready to chain CC onto them, and the enemy team slightly out of position is probably going to win you a teamfight.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Interesting take. It's not that I disagree, I don't have enough experience to do so. These opinions are greatly appreciated. I've just previous heard so many people laud the bread and butter nature of Bloodrazor's damage.

Earlier people mentioned dropping the Philo stone, but in my personal experience, if I don't have the blue buff, until about level 12 I'm mana starved.

You should never be without blue buff. If you're jungling you should learn when your blue is coming up and go get it, you should also ward theirs and steal it for yucks. And if you don't have it just don't spam your skills, and pick your battles.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Batmantis wrote: »

flash ult ashe from the bushes is the best initate

in my last game we had a dc, so janna did solo bottom. she double killed ashe and caitlyn and they did not even tower dive her, just straight up killed them.

Jars on
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You should never be without blue buff. If you're jungling you should learn when your blue is coming up and go get it, you should also ward theirs and steal it for yucks. And if you don't have it just don't spam your skills, and pick your battles.

you should probably give up blue buff to people who need it more

like your AP carries

if not second time it comes up, definitely third

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only way to use Ashe's ult is to stand in your own base, shoot an arrow into the far corner of the map (with fog of war of course) and a few seconds later hear "An enemy has been slain!".

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

like your AP carries

When I'm a mana using jungle I usually give up the buff on the second or third spawn. For me it's necessary to continous jungle, keep up in levels without going b too often, and have mana to try to gank.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I only give it up if it's a really mana intensive AP carry. Anivia or Kassadin for instance and then only if they have done good things and aren't feeding. You have to earn your buffs if I'm in the jungle by not sucking ass while laning.

Drool on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

like your AP carries

this.

if your guy is a jungler with mana and you can't sustain usage around 3rd blue buff, you are doing it wrong.

Only person bitching should be like WW. even then it's meh

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mercury treads are the worst for laning Warwick (the one true Warwick) it is all about the Ionian boots. I also get a philosopher stone because I need the Shurelia's in order to be super fast and have awesomer cooldowns.

Get defense depending on how the enemy damage is shaping up and then stack magic penetration to steal all of the kills.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I hog blue buffs on warwick. he burns mana like crazy, and W has an 11.6 second cooldown with it. that means 10 out of every 11.6 seconds your team has 40% AS. that's huge

Jars on