As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 4-6-11: Nicotine at this time?

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Graphic Violence
Lots of books this week, but Secret Six #32 gets points for having some truly messed up visuals, Calafiore has this cool new technique with action scenes where he inks thick, almost like cell shading, and a nice story that plays on existing continuity. We also get hints of where DC is pushing Bane now in order to connect with the third Batman film:

secretsix32a.jpg

Bane sort of freaks out a bit that even though he considers himself an honorable decent man, he's still going to wind up in hell. A nice touch to push him back to a more overt villain role.

secretsix32b.jpg

secretsix32c.jpg

and Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #2, the parts are better than the whole, specifically these parts:

axecopbge2a.jpg

axecopbge2b.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fear Itself was a great first issue. It set up everything and moved much faster than Fraction's usual pace. Highlights include:
    Steve being anti-riot as well as surprised that there were no supervillains involved in the riot. All of Odin and Thor's interactions were amazing as was Odins rant at Uatu.

Herc was also a fantastic first issue, setting up the new supporting cast while showing that this is still the Hercules we all know and love.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Herc #1; Hercules beats up some thugs, gets laid, fights a supervillain, finds a place to live, and collects tribute.

6xyzxg.jpg

I want a can of Lionskin Lager.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I find it kind of funny that he has been wearing his superhero suit in every promo piece while he rocks the manskirt in issue 1 and in the preview for 2.

I really love the Greek Diner cast. Herc as a bartender is going to be fun.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    motw: lending my mom Absolute All Star Superman and her reading this past weekend.

desc on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Annihilators #2, Ronan makes up for getting beat up by USAgent years ago:

annihilators2a.jpg

annihilators2b.jpg

annihilators2c.jpg

And Uncanny X-Men 534.1, where the PR lady tries to deal with what happened in Morrison's run:

xmenuncanny534-1a.jpg

xmenuncanny534-1b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My MOTW, getting Strange Tales II in the mail and then my comics being free today at midtown comics. Absolutely the best thing after such a shitty day at work - grabbed Nonplayer and Uncanny .1 on top of ASM Annual, FI, and Children's Crusade, time to get to readin.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck yeah Cardboard. Strange Tales II is the bidness.

How are nonplayer and the uncanny .1? I put in a grab request for those and some others to my store; won't get the comics till this weekend though.

desc on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nonplayer made me miss MMOs, but only the good things I remember about exploring and finding new things and being completely immersed in something - like FFXI. Beautiful falls short, the art is amazing!

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have to follow Tex's lead on the Annihilators #2 front, Ronan the Accuser was pretty cool in that particular scene (even though he's a measly Alpha-class, pssh).

I also picked up Fear Itself #1, I really have to say they're taking the book in an intruiging direction.
    Odin finds out the god of Fear has arisen and promptly abandons the Earth, leaving it to the mercy of this risen god and its daughter, which is using Sin as its avatar. Seven evil hammers fall to Earth and Odin takes Mjolnir away from Thor for choosing humanity over the gods.

Pretty epic stuff is gonna go down people!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Chew #18 was the big winner of the week, featuring FDA agents Tony Chu and John Colby teaming up with a squad of USDA agents and their cybernetically-enhanced animal companions, to lead an assault on an unstable dictator. The whole issue is fantastic, and culminates in one of the best action scenes I've read in a while, while also working in one of those hilarious one-page character bios that Chew does so well.

Unfortunately, I always toss this comic in a friend's mailbox on the way home from the store, and get it back a few weeks later, so I can't share any of the awesome stuff in it. But really, you should be buying the book anyways.

Firebreather: Holmgang #2; Duncan fights a monster, and goes to prom, though not necessarily in that order.
    34q4jtw.jpg
    To explain this page, Duncan's father Belloc, a giant dragon, was killed in the last mini-series, but he hasn't told anyone, as doing so would make him fair game for everyone from rival monsters, to the U.S. military.

Besides the poignant moment at the end there, I just really like the idea that a giant dragon has a landline phone, and answering machine.

Irredeemable #24; the Plutonian plots his escape from an insane asylum buried in the heart of a sun, and Qubit, the Irredeemable universe's Reed Richards, shows he may have a little Dr. Doom in him.
    2d0fngn.jpg

Doom Patrol #21; Robotman spends an issue looking back at his life, and the various incarnations of the Doom Patrol. We also see what he first saw, upon waking up from the accident that destroyed his body.
    i2sfv7.jpg

Thunderbolts: The Marvel Vault Special, features Nomad traveling across the country, investigating the personal lives of the Thunderbolts, trying to figure out what shaped them into villains, and later heroes, and finding a heroic purpose for himself in the process.
    6ymc5h.jpg

The next page goes on to explain that, had Nomad not been killed off, he'd have spent the foreseeable future traveling the country, and trying to beat some sense into supervillains, to keep them on the straight and narrow.

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #38; Peter exclaims, "This is not my beautiful house! This is not my beautiful wife! How did I get here?!"
    4rp26t.jpg

The issue wasn't really all that great, certainly not what I was expecting from the writer of Chew and Marvel Zombies v.s. Army of Darkness, both great comics. But, it had a few interesting ideas, and we learned that Deadpool's alternate universe doppleganger is named Deathwish.

Still, it's a story I feel we've seen before; a hero goes to an alternate universe, everything seems awesome, but surprise, everything really kind of sucks, the hero's doppleganger is evil, and he has a Spider-Cave filled with the corpses of multiversal versions of himself, whom he's drained of power and murdered.

Unfortunately, Green Wake, Nonplayer, Who Is Jake Ellis?, and The Intrepids were all sold out, so I suppose I'll just trade-wait those.

However, I did win a short-box filled with swag from my local shop. Most of it looks like junk they just wanted to clear off the shelves, but there were some good TPBs in there (Waid/'Ringo FF, Waid's Captain America, Priest's Black Panther, Kirby's Hulk), a full run of Wednesday Comics (which I'll probably give away, or use to decoupage my kitchen table), a full run of some comics I already have, a bunch of variant covers I don't care about, and some horror-themed Marvel book that came packaged with a Halloween mask, which I find hilarious.

Munch on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spidey usually has cool alternate costumes but that costume is horrendous.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dig it

I like that there's more emphasis on the blue

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The costume was terrible.

The issue was alright. I am more excited for the Deadpool annual since Layman writes a pretty funny Deadpool.

I hated how they couldn't decide if the Amazing Spider was meant to be Superman or Batman.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh nooooooo my world view

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Spidey usually has cool alternate costumes but that costume is horrendous.

At certain angles, it looks like he's wearing the Wonder Woman emblem.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm so bummed Nomad had to die in Captain America, I like the idea of him being a wandering Gordon Ramsay of the superhero world.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    a wandering Gordon Ramsay of the superhero world.

If that was the case, someone would've killed him sooner or later.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    From what I understand, the original version of Kitchen Nightmares put a lot more onus on the restauranteurs to get their asses in gear without the benefit of Fox paying for million-dollar renovations. Of course, I could be wrong, but there is an apt comparison in there somewhere. I think that scan speaks for itself at his motivational technique.

I'd actually love to see an ongoing of something like that.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The original original UK version was very much telling restaurateurs how to sort their business out, no makeovers involved AFAIK.

Wildcat on