As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Moioink wrote: »
    Some sort of tribute to Sonic CD.

What if you have to time travel between past/future versions of a level, and it switches between Old Achool Sonic and Adventure Sonic

Dartboy on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Old-style Sonic looks 100% more awesome than new Sonic.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    @TSR - Have they confirmed that this is made by the Colors team?

This is NOT made by the Colors team. The colors team is Sega's B-team. They're the group that made the story book series.

This is made by the group who made Sonic Unleashed, aka the REAL sonic team. To clarify, this is the group who came up with the gameplay style that colors is modeled after. Iizuka explained during the creation of colors that the daytime stages in Sonic Unleashed are what 3D sonic will be like from now on, and thats why Colors was so similar to Unleashed. They were basically instructed to follow the gameplay model that these guys created.

When Sonic Unleashed wrapped up, they began work on this game, and the colors team began work on colors. This game has an extra year of development.

Truth be told, the day stages in Unleashed were, IMO, at their peak, greater than the best stages in colors. It's just that colors had ONLY those levels, and damn near 30 times more acts.

Which has me super excited for this. These are the people who pioneered these levels. Sonic Generations, if the rumors are true, is going to be only those kinds of stages. Let's see what the people who invented that model can come up with when they have 2 years to work on it.

This game is gonna kick fucking ass. Here's to hoping we see some Sonic CD zones. Collision Chaos Zone or Stardust Speedway in 3D would be insane.

Also, here's a thought - Since Sonic Heroes, Sega switched the character model for Sonic over for all merchendizing. Big characters like Sonic or Mario have a corporate model which dictates that all media must adhere to certain standards. Thats exactly why we haven't seen classic sonic in so long. If this game has him back, that means they're clearly relaxed, for this game at least, with their standards regarding character. Which means, brace for it, there's a strong possibility that Dr Robotnik is back. Not Dr. Eggman.

TheSonicRetard on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Crush 40 performing Sonic Boom

Edit - @TSR - Well, I'm a bit wary of the real sonic team if only because the levels in Unleashed become pit-fests as they went on. That said, I'll keep an open mind and hope that they've gotten better at level design.

Turkey on
    edited April 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    Crush 40 performing Sonic Boom

Edit - @TSR - Well, I'm a bit wary of the real sonic team if only because the levels in Unleashed become pit-fests as they went on. That said, I'll keep an open mind and hope that they've gotten better at level design.

You should play the DLC. After Unleashed was released, the DLC acts which followed were very, very experimental. Sonic Colors' level design seemed to be more like the DLC acts than the main acts.

All in all, I'm of the opinion that, since the day Unleashed was released, Sega and Sonic Team have been constantly experimenting with what works and what doesn't work, specifically in preparation for this game. From everything I know about how this game is being handled, Sega is taking this game more seriously than just about any other game they've released in decades. They are DETERMINED to nail this one. If they take everything they've learned from the level design from Unleashed, the DLC, and Colors and use only what works, we're gonna be in for a high quality game.

On the subject of music, THIS is how Crush 40 will likely do the soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTKwDQREhAM

And for that, I am fucking stoked.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Will wait for the superior Wii version announcement ala Unleashed.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited April 2011

The wii version of Unleashed was inferior in every possible way.

And likely, Colors IS the wii version of this game. Sega has had its b-team doing wii versions of all the Sonic games this gen. Secret Rings was originally a wii port of Sonic 2006, the story book team just used their extra development time to radically alter the game design, and removed the parts that sucked.

The gameplay of Secret Rings is actually all that's left over from the wii port of Sonic 2006. They're basically the high speed sections from that game, except they work.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited April 2011
    I prefer the shorter levels of the Wii version, but its also the superior version saleswise.

S2k6 was also the last Sonic game to not appear on the Wii.

I have no doubt that it might be another semi lazy dimps port, but not even Sega is stupid enough to leave that money on the table.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2011
    I prefer the shorter levels of the Wii version, but its also the superior version saleswise.

S2k6 was also the last Sonic game to not appear on the Wii.

I have no doubt that it might be another semi lazy dimps port, but not even Sega is stupid enough to leave that money on the table.

Its like you didn't read anything I wrote.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited April 2011
    No, I did.

Do you really think they won't release this game on Wii? Do you?

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2011
    No, I did.

Uh, yeah. I've been saying that for a solid year since before this game was announced. Or do you think they just forgot to include the wii logo in the trailer for shits and giggles?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't care about if this makes it to the Wii or not. Some time later this year, I'll get a hankerin for Sonic gameplay and I'll grab Unleashed, Colors, and this and play through them all real quicklike.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited April 2011
    lmao, someone at work told me I've been smiling all morning long.

Gosh this has me so happy.

TheSonicRetard on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That video was so awesome it crashed my computer.

Sonic Generations not for PC confirmed!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Come to think of it I've been seeing quite a bit of the classic Sonic artwork in merchandising these days.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope they bring back Jaleel White

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    agoaj wrote: »
    I hope they bring back Jaleel White

"You're too slow!"

erkel.gif

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't get it, what's this game supposed to be? Levels inspired by classic Sonic zones, or the actual old zones themselves? I already have enough versions of the Genesis games as it is. The game sounds like it's going to rely a lot on nostalgia.

Arteen on
    edited April 2011
    Arteen wrote: »
    I don't get it, what's this game supposed to be? Levels inspired by classic Sonic zones, or the actual old zones themselves? I already have enough versions of the Genesis games as it is. The game sounds like it's going to rely a lot on nostalgia.

It's the 20th anniversary game. Of course it's gonna have old levels.

We don't know how much new content it's going to have, but it will at the least have levels inspired by levels all the mainline Sonic games. Considering how different the Unleashed/Colors gameplay system is, I doubt they'll just slap the levels in.

Turkey on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This looks so awesome. Really great feelings from that trailer.

One of the comments referenced Spider-Man : Shattered Dimensions. That's what I'd like to see. Retro Sonic with Dr. Robotnik and side-scrolling levels, and Sonic Adventure Sonic with Dr. Eggman and 3D levels. Maybe some minigames with Archie/Cartoon Sonic, maybe some online component (racing? Level time trials or versus like Sonic 2?) where you can play as all the different versions of Sonic, Tails, Big, etc. and unlock tons of crap, bonus artwork and trivia, etc.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No, I did.

Uh, yeah. I've been saying that for a solid year since before this game was announced. Or do you think they just forgot to include the wii logo in the trailer for shits and giggles?

I would be surprised if there isn't something on the Wii though, be it a quick sequel for colours or whatever is being done with the mario/sonic crossover stuff this year. Plus there is a sonic game coming for 3DS as well.

Maybe not this exact game, but I can't see Sega not putting out a 20th anniversary game of some sort on Nintendo consoles as well.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Three requests:

No level hub.

I thought that the Adventure Fields from Sonic Adventure were awesome, and was saddened that they were removed in SA2. I'm an exploratory guy when it comes to videogames though, I like being able to dick around and find stuff in between bouts of action.

I thought that the Sonic World portion of Sonic Jam was pretty great as well. It's a shame it was so small though.
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Some sort of tribute to Sonic CD.

What if you have to time travel between past/future versions of a level, and it switches between Old Achool Sonic and Adventure Sonic

This is the best thing I have read all day.
    ... Which means, brace for it, there's a strong possibility that Dr Robotnik is back. Not Dr. Eggman.

Thank God.

SmokeStacks on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    On the subject of music, THIS is how Crush 40 will likely do the soundtrack:
    And for that, I am fucking stoked.

That, along with these two remixes are along the lines of what I'd expect SEGA to do, at minimum.

Walk on water

Dead batteries

Frem on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought that the Adventure Fields from Sonic Adventure were awesome, and was saddened that they were removed in SA2.

IMO the adventure fields we tedious "find the spot to progress the game - filler. (I remember the security card for one building just popping up without reason). They were just there to extent playtime. They had nothing to do with the characters gameplay and there wasn't really anything to explore / secrets to discover. Another reason might be that I hated the "Sonic on Earth" background (yes, I am aware thats basically the japanese "backstory" for all Sonic games).

Sonic in 3D :
    I am glad that Sega found its core mechanic / model for the sonic games. Hopefully the next game will be at least the same in quality / or even surpass Colors.

IMO a "real 3D" Sonic would still work. When I played Mario Sunshine and used the speed head for the F.L.U.D.D. - I thought this mechanic would work pretty well for Sonic too. Analog Stick for methodic platforming, trigger for a long boost / speed up. Throw in some game physics and the often quoted momentum to overcome obstacles - but who I am kidding, Sega can't make / utilize game physics in a Sonic game to save their lives. Better stick to something which workes.

Music:
    While I like some Crush 40 tracks from the Adventure series, I would vastly prefer the composition / style of the original Genesis titles. Heck even the music in Sonic 3D blast was awesome (PC and Saturn version). Sonic Colors has shown, that Sega can still make an awesome soundtrack without switching to "need more vocals + e-guitar".

Dratatoo on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Now this sounds like my kind of game!

Here's hoping to see Starlight Zone or Mystic Cave with their soundtracks as intact as possible!

(Please no Marble Zone D:)

Dunxco on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Come to think of it I've been seeing quite a bit of the classic Sonic artwork in merchandising these days.

Jazwares is releasing classic Sonic figures, too.

I wonder if Knuckles or Tails will be playable... you know, in classic "Sonic, but not" style, rather than "something else entirely."

Incidentally, I want to see Shadow as a playable character, but mainly so that they might do a "Retro" Shadow as well.

Oh, and my favorite comments on this so far are from people whose knee-jerk reactions to Retro Sonic is "Sonic has a son now?"

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited April 2011

I know I'm late on this, but...what?

Have you even played the 360/PS3 build?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

One version did not have the goddamn daytime overworld that you had to run through.

Couscous on
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

One version did not have the goddamn daytime overworld that you had to run through.

The overworld in the 360/PS3 version had optional NPCs which offered you bonus missions, and nothing else. It's essentially a 3D map.

The Wii version featured static 2D overworlds which required you to solve pointless mini-puzzles and talk to 10 NPCs just to access the next stage.

You're complaining about the wrong HUB.

TheSonicRetard on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Now this sounds like my kind of game!

Here's hoping to see Starlight Zone or Mystic Cave with their soundtracks as intact as possible!

(Please no Marble Zone D:)

As intact as possible wouldn't produce this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLG2kCPjtgw

Which is officially the Best Thing On The Internet.

And if we're talking about Sonic music greatest hits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7ywWsAWyg&feature=related

My favourite zone from S3.

The_Scarab on
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

And the other version has virtually barren stages.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just want zones with 2-3 acts, no stupid cut-scenes with cartoon dogs eating ice cream and no crappy overworld. When I finish one zone I want the next one to start. Sonic CD and Sonic 3 managed to tell a perfectly okay story with this structure, it didn't need some redundant dialogue for Amy's kidnap or Robotnik stealing the master emerald, it just showed it happening and was as long as it needed to be.

Moioink on
    edited April 2011
    I just want zones with 2-3 acts, no stupid cut-scenes with cartoon dogs eating ice cream and no crappy overworld. When I finish one zone I want the next one to start. Sonic CD and Sonic 3 managed to tell a perfectly okay story with this structure, it didn't need some redundant dialogue for Amy's kidnap or Robotnik stealing the master emerald, it just showed it happening and was as long as it needed to be.

Problem is that when you make a game like that is that it ends up being like 3 hours long and that doesn't fly in this day and age.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited April 2011
    NSMB Wii is a good 10-20 hours long.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2011

Problem is that when you make a game like that is that it ends up being like 3 hours long and that doesn't fly in this day and age.

"This day and age" can shove its cartoon dog cut-scenes and overworlds. I would love a quality 3 hour long 3D Sonic game that I can replay over and over like the old games.

Moioink on
    edited April 2011
    It would make a great XBLA game

Turkey on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm hoping to see Chemical Plant Zone in this, personally

I think it's probably my favorite level in the whole series

Definitely my favorite song

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited April 2011

"This day and age" can shove its cartoon dog cut-scenes and overworlds. I would love a quality 3 hour long 3D Sonic game that I can replay over and over like the old games.

You realize you've described Sonic Colors, right? Hell, when you begin the game, straight from the title screen, for the first time, when you press start, it immediately throws you into Tropical Resort Zone Act 1. No cut scene, hell, not even a screen to let you select a save file. Just start them boom - act 1. And when that finishes, act 2 starts. It's not until you get to act 3 that you finally save and get the first (entirely skippable) cutscene.

Only difference between what you described and colors, is that colors doesn't have 2-3 acts per zone. It has 7 acts per zone.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited April 2011

You realize you've described Sonic Colors, right? Hell, when you begin the game, straight from the title screen, for the first time, when you press start, it immediately throws you into Tropical Resort Zone Act 1. No cut scene, hell, not even a screen to let you select a save file. Just start them boom - act 1. And when that finishes, act 2 starts. It's not until you get to act 3 that you finally save and get the first (entirely skippable) cutscene.

Only difference between what you described and colors, is that colors doesn't have 2-3 acts per zone. It has 7 acts per zone.

That sounds perfect, I really need to buy this game (I'm just waiting on an ebay auction of mine to sell first). I really disliked Heroes (bland), 2006 (lol) and Unleashed (I didn't even mind the werehog stuff, I just hated all the fluff and the framerate was pretty bad on PS3) so I kind of gave up on 3D Sonic. Hopefully Generations will follow in Color's footsteps.

Moioink on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just ordered Colours off Amazon, due totally to this thread. Congrats. :3

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant