As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed III: THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
assassins-creed-logo.jpg

original.jpg

Assassin's Creed Series Discussion

Ubisoft just announced that Assassin's Creed III will take place during the Revolutionary War! Sweet!!

The Assassin's Creed series, developed by Ubisoft, debuted in 2007 with the original Assassin's Creed for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Players assumed the role of Desmond Miles, a modern day fellow who just happens to have a genetic assassin ancestor in his past. Using a machine called the Animus, Desmond is able to view and control his ancestor, an assassin by the name of Altair. Combining elements of stealth, action, science-fiction, and (partially) historical accurate references, AC was a commercial success for Ubisoft and work for a sequel was placed underway.

Assassin's Creed II launched in November of 2009, once again for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. The sequel had players still playing as Desmond, but controlling a different assassin ancestor by the name of Ezio. AC2 added new gameplay elements such as swimming, riding horses and boats, and the introduction of Leonardo da Vinci who invents a bunch of devices for Ezio to use.

Riding upon the success of ACII, Ubisoft released the newest game in the series, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood in 2010 for the Xbox 360 and Playstion 3. AC:B is a sequel in story to AC2 with players once again controlling the assassin Ezio. The difference this time around is that Ezio can recruit other assassins to work for him in his struggles against the Templars. Finally, AC:B is also the first game in the series to feature a multiplayer mode in which players are hunting targets while avoiding being targeted themselves.

You can learn more about the series by visiting the official webpage, joining the Facebook page, playing the interactive Facebook game Project Legacy, watching the animated movie Assassin's Creed Ascendance, or connecting to Uplay and earn points to unlock new multiplayer characters and gear in AC:B.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• TheDugglerTheDuggler Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Having never finished AC1, is playing AC2 a good idea or will I get a lot more out of it by playing the first one?

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TheDuggler wrote: »
    Having never finished AC1, is playing AC2 a good idea or will I get a lot more out of it by playing the first one?

The first one... I mean, sure, you get a little meta-plot/story, but it really isn't important.

AC2 is leaps and bounds better (see what I did there!) and overall a much better designed game.

I could sum up AC 1 for you in 3 sentences and you wouldn't miss out on any nuance or element of it.

streever on
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    streever wrote: »
    TheDuggler wrote: »

The first one... I mean, sure, you get a little meta-plot/story, but it really isn't important.

AC2 is leaps and bounds better (see what I did there!) and overall a much better designed game.

I could sum up AC 1 for you in 3 sentences and you wouldn't miss out on any nuance or element of it.

My feeling is that if you ever think you might play and finish AC1, do it before you start AC2. AC1 is still a very good game in my opinion, but AC2 truly is an improvement in every way (story, mechanics, etc.), so it would be difficult to go back and play the first after 2.

RandomHajile on
    edited April 2011
    Yea, that is true, RandomHajile. I personally found AC 1 to get incredibly redundant and repetitive and had serious control issues with it. If I was going to tell someone to play it now, I'd tell them to play through it quickly, skip the optional stuff, and use a 360 or similar controller.

I didn't particularly enjoy AC 1 and wasn't going to buy 2--I didn't buy it until it'd been out for quite some time and review after review said it was really interesting gameplay wise. I loved 2 but 1... well, the basic story was good, but it doesn't spoil anything if you play 2 first.

streever on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have a confession to make. I actually liked the random side quest to a big scripted assassination sequence in 1

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    I have a confession to make. I actually liked the random side quest to a big scripted assassination sequence in 1

I liked the concept, but the execution was lacking. My go-to activity by the end of a game should never be "sit on a bench and don't play for a minute."

A combination of 1 and 2 would be great I think. 2 or 3 mandatory ones that give you info on your mission and target and a 3 or 4 optional side missions that make your job easier (e.g., bribe a corrupt guard to make sure there are fewer guards patrolling than normal or pick up a map (similar to how you obtain codex pages in AC2) to know where a good path is to not be seen for part of your big mission).

Seriously though, no game should be so tedious at the end that I'm looking at missions and saying "I need eavesdrop and pickpocket so I can get through this because I'll be damned if I'm collecting flags for that douche again!"

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm gonna help a friend platinum AC2 tomorrow and rent AC1, then start a full play (now if not once summer starts and I have more time) and play through AC1, then AC2, then AC:Bro again, cause man I love these games.

Oghulk on
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    streever wrote: »
    Yea, that is true, RandomHajile. I personally found AC 1 to get incredibly redundant and repetitive and had serious control issues with it. If I was going to tell someone to play it now, I'd tell them to play through it quickly, skip the optional stuff, and use a 360 or similar controller.

I didn't particularly enjoy AC 1 and wasn't going to buy 2--I didn't buy it until it'd been out for quite some time and review after review said it was really interesting gameplay wise. I loved 2 but 1... well, the basic story was good, but it doesn't spoil anything if you play 2 first.

I loved 1, but I understand why some people didn't like it. The repetition didn't bother me at all, but 2 made all of the assassination preparation feel very organic and part of the story. Still, I think AC1 is a worthwhile experience, especially if you get the PC version with the more varied investigations. But if you start playing AC2, don't bother with 1.

RandomHajile on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It seems that, most times, trying to find a MP game on PC is an exercise in futility - at least for me.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cristina missions
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Hey she's pretty. I hope this goes somewhere...
    That sucks, Ezio has to leave...
    What the fuck? Engaged? To a gambling loser asshole?...
    She's mad at ME for not breaking up her engagement?...
    Oh great. Her gambling loser husband gets them attacked, she gets mortally wounded and dies in Ezio's arms...
    Exit game.

Again, like I said in the previous thread, they were flashbacks and I know they weren't going to end up together. But at least give Cristina a happy ending. Ezio shows up, she has kids and is happy because the husband lived up to his word of being a good husband. Then she shows him the pendant and reassures him that she'll always love him, they kiss and he leaves. Story over. It's not hard and it doesn't leave you feeling like you just got kicked in the fucking chest.

Honestly I was half expecting there to be a current day mission where you run into her in Rome, but nope. Instead I got chest kicked.

It's a powerful story for the short amount of time it was given.

Decoy on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Since you're talking about it, I've been replaying the first Assassin's Creed again lately. There's just so many little touches that AC2 and AC:B added that I miss in replaying AC1.

I really, really hate the annoying beggars and crazy/drunk people who are always getting in your way in AC1. At least with the bards in AC2 you just had to run into them to get them to drop their guitar and leave you alone.

One more assassination to go before I can move onto my replay of AC2 again. I never did play those two DLC chapters of AC2.

Zaylenz on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just stabbed any beggars or bards that got in my way, sometimes shouting "FUCK OFF!" at my television.

Moioink on
    edited April 2011
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    I really, really hate the annoying beggars and crazy/drunk people who are always getting in your way in AC1. At least with the bards in AC2 you just had to run into them to get them to drop their guitar and leave you alone.

Uh oh... That is something that really annoyed the fire out of me in AC2. But yeah, like you said, all you had to do was drop their guitar and they'd stop.

I was going to go back and actually play AC1 after beating 2 and AssBro. Now I'm a bit hesitant, though. I'll probably still do it though. Despite the beggars and, from what I've read, a very unlikeable and robotic Alt.

Decoy on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Moioink wrote: »
    I just stabbed any beggars or bards that got in my way, sometimes shouting "FUCK OFF!" at my television.

Hahahaha. I'll need to try that.

Xeddicus on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Since you're talking about it, I've been replaying the first Assassin's Creed again lately. There's just so many little touches that AC2 and AC:B added that I miss in replaying AC1.

One more assassination to go before I can move onto my replay of AC2 again. I never did play those two DLC chapters of AC2.

But you don't understand. They have nothing.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Aside from the ones you mentioned, they also made climbing a lot faster in AC2. Altair reaches for a hold with one hand, then grabs it with his other hand. Ezio grabs a hold, pulls himself up, and uses his other hand to reach an even higher hold, and he does this so quickly.

SteevL on
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    2 and Brotherhood pretty much do everything better but I still like AC1 for the story.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    I just beat Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.....

I'd love to tell ya'll my thoughts on the ending, but chances are someone would probably force me to write something I didn't want to and then all the sudden make me stop in the middle of a sentence.

:?

Decoy on
    edited April 2011
    Heh. I just started Brotherhood today, and somebody mentioned how Ezio climbs differently from Altair, and going through the intro I am pretty sure that Desmond climbs like Altair instead of like Ezio.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    Heh. I just started Brotherhood today, and somebody mentioned how Ezio climbs differently from Altair, and going through the intro I am pretty sure that Desmond climbs like Altair instead of like Ezio.

I also noticed this. He walks more like Ezio though.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does brotherhood advance the main story significantly?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does brotherhood advance the main story significantly?

Yes. It's as full of a game as the others.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    He's asking about story not gameplay.
    Assbro is chock full of Ezio's story and such.
    I wouldn't say that the Desmond story is really all that advancing. It has a few shocks and surprises.

It's worth picking up for the gameplay all by itself though.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm sounds like I have to pick this up or risk missing out on some stuff

oh well

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't say that the Desmond story is really all that advancing. It has a few shocks and surprises.

Seriously? I thought it advanced the grand story way more then any other games, really.

DarkCrawler on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    how many thread OPs do you manage Dover?

anyway i just got this on PC.

Any recommendations for things to note that are different to AC2? Every game has the little tricks you find out on second playthrus that you wish you knew for the first one.

Dhalphir on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just picked up Brotherhood, and am having trouble with this mission where I have to destroy one of Leonardo's machines, an early machine-gun-cannon-thing. I've tried firing at the barrels with the pistol, but nothing happens even if I sneak up very close to it. It's surrounded by guards, and you can't be detected. If the pistol won't get the barrels to explode, what will? What am I missing here?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rohan wrote: »
    I just picked up Brotherhood, and am having trouble with this mission where I have to destroy one of Leonardo's machines, an early machine-gun-cannon-thing. I've tried firing at the barrels with the pistol, but nothing happens even if I sneak up very close to it. It's surrounded by guards, and you can't be detected. If the pistol won't get the barrels to explode, what will? What am I missing here?

You destroyed the plans for the machine first yes? It has been awhile since I finished that mission.

TheColonel on
    edited April 2011
    TheColonel wrote: »

You destroyed the plans for the machine first yes? It has been awhile since I finished that mission.

Um... I can't remember. I've just been going around buying businesses and bringing down Borgias members in the meantime. The destroy the machine mission is the only one available on the map (disregarding things like, say, missions for the guilds).

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    how many thread OPs do you manage Dover?

anyway i just got this on PC.

Any recommendations for things to note that are different to AC2? Every game has the little tricks you find out on second playthrus that you wish you knew for the first one.

I have, or have had, this one, the SC2 thread, and the SF4 thread. Always a fallback thread when the others get snatched away from me. :)

This one I actually run because of my ties with Ubisoft. I can get messages, complaints, or praises directly to the people at Ubisoft that matter. Word.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You have to destroy the plans first without being seen. Then you can sneak behind the barrels behind the gun by going over the building that has the plans on them and drop down behind the barrels and then you get a button prompt to light them on fire when yon get nearer to them.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Um... I can't remember. I've just been going around buying businesses and bringing down Borgias members in the meantime. The destroy the machine mission is the only one available on the map (disregarding things like, say, missions for the guilds).

Once you enter the mission specific map you have a few mission objectives to follow. If your current objective is to destroy the weapon (after you found the architect and burned the plan), you have to walk up to the explosive barrels and interact with them. You can enter the small building next to the weapon to reach the barrels without being seen.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited April 2011
    Fireflash wrote: »

Once you enter the mission specific map you have a few mission objectives to follow. If your current objective is to destroy the weapon (after you found the architect and burned the plan), you have to walk up to the explosive barrels and interact with them. You can enter the small building next to the weapon to reach the barrels without being seen.

Ah damn it... on each playthrough I could have done that. Cheers man.

Rohan on

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Seriously? I thought it advanced the grand story way more then any other games, really.

Yeah, this is the first time Desmond is actually going out and doing stuff instead of sitting in a room.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • AmygdalaAmygdala Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone else hit a bug in the PS3 version of Brotherhood where you can't actually leave the animus? Basically, hitting x on the confirmation screen does absolutely nothing. Except the loading symbol appears and stays up indefinitely, with more and more bizarre results if I just keep playing :?

Amygdala on
    spec.png
    edited April 2011

Nothing significant happened in the majority of the game. In the other games usually there was some information gained halfway.

End Game Spoiler
    There was no big amazing reveal at the end of this one. Just a very big shock. It was a personal shock, but not much happened other than that. Once you strip away the false importance imported by that shock it's easy to see this.

AC1: Ancient Technologies 1!1! Maps!
    AC2: You Too Can Save Mankind Desmond
    ACB: GASP NOOOOO CHARACTER I LIKE/DISLIKE!

:whistle: One of these three is not like the others, one of these does not belong. :whistle:
    -Tal wrote: »
    Yeah, this is the first time Desmond is actually going out and doing stuff instead of sitting in a room.

You are confusing story/plot with action that is interesting to watch.

Morninglord on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do people still play the Brotherhood multiplayer? I should have it arriving in a few days. Not sure if it's worth renewing my Gold subscription for.

exis on
    edited April 2011
    Just finished the Da Vinci DLC (I liked it pretty well), but it didn't give me the appropriate trophy for finishing it. Oh well, at least that isn't needed for the platinum, but it does annoy me a bit.

RandomHajile on
    edited April 2011
    Hmm sounds like I have to pick this up or risk missing out on some stuff

oh well

Man, it isn't that you HAVE to pick it up--the stuff you'll miss out on you could just read behind a spoiler tag. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood really is the best game in the series so far in terms of game play elements. If you would play any of the future games, you might as well play this one, just to enjoy yourself :)

streever on
    edited April 2011
    Granted, I'm only through the first 2 sequences, but is Brotherhood known for being harder than AC2? Because I'm getting my ass kicked left, right, and center here where I was pretty good at AC2. Maybe it's just that I didn't really take a break between the two games and I'm missing all my sweet equipment from AC2.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png