As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] With my [CHAT] and your Patch Notes, we are Captain Azeroth!

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would honestly prefer a system where a given class has exactly one role. I realize that people disagree, and that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, except me apparently. We seem to have this argument at least once a year, because my opinion is stupid.

I prefer specialization. Anything that diminishes the impact of focus and specialization is something I disagree with. I don't sit around and bitch about it though, because it's not my game and I still enjoy playing it.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edit: It's also (and I hate using this term) a slippery slope. Why should I be limited to my class? Why shouldn't I be able to just switch between classes at will? It doesn't hurt anyone. Let me collect multiple gear sets and just play what I want to play.

No. No it's not a slippery slope at all. And certainly not in that specific manner, wow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would honestly prefer a system where a given class has exactly one role. I realize that people disagree, and that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, except me apparently. We seem to have this argument at least once a year, because my opinion is stupid.

I prefer specialization. Anything that diminishes the impact of focus and specialization is something I disagree with. I don't sit around and bitch about it though, because it's not my game and I still enjoy playing it.

A class having one role is an idea I don't dislike at all. But the fact of the matter is, WoW wasn't designed like that from the ground up, so multiple roles per class are the way it is. Maybe in WoW 2 they'll reconsider. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Klatu wrote: »
    Opening up specs like that just leads to people having more roles they're undergeared for. Who's going to pay the insane prices for Maelstrom Crystals to maintain 3 or more sets of gear?
    A few things here.

1. Some people would pay for 3 (or more) specs worth of Crystal enchants. Why? Because some people do it now.
    2. Maelstrom Crystal prices will go down in time.
    3. It's a rather large exaggeration to claim that one is "undergeared" by using enchants below the Maelstrom Crystal level.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    And? It's still something a lot of players want, and the game isn't hurt by opening up options and giving people more to do.

Actually it is. Balance goes all to shit the more respeccing options you get and the easier you make it. The more specs you introduce, the more specialized for a very specific task each spec gets because you can pick and choose for each specific scenario without penalty. And that goes against the entire idea of specialization in the first place and makes choices and tradeoffs even more meaningless.
    Specifics? What balance goes all to shit with three specs? Or four specs? At which point does this nebulous scenario kick in? Has it already come into play with two specs? Shit, our OT can go DPS on Atramedes because we only need one tank!

forty on
  • Options
    IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Personally I never queue solo on my tank because my husband is a healer so I'd like to join the whinefest, where do I sit?

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm curious which version of WoW you're playing where individual players feel valuable or unique at this point.

Have you not sat in town lately and watched the people showing off their vanity mounts, titles, uber pvp gearz, and other items?

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's probably because that opinion fits better in games like EverQuest or other MMOs no one plays. It was vaguely applicable to WoW 6 years ago when most classes only had one or two viable talent trees and usually only one viable role at end game, but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    I'm curious which version of WoW you're playing where individual players feel valuable or unique at this point.

Have you not sat in town lately and watched the people showing off their vanity mounts, titles, uber pvp gearz, and other items?
    Heh, sure. But there's always someone else standing right next to them that can pop up the same title, materalize the same dragon or sparkle pony, etc. at any time.

Even if you did manage to snag something that is actually extremely rare like an AQ mount or Ashes of Al'ar, it's that which makes you feel distinguished, certainly not your talent spec. Maybe back in the days when you could pull off some variant spec like a shockadin you could feel some vague sense of uniqueness (even then, not really, since there were other people copying that same spec from the internet, but let's just say you did), but with the way talent specs work now, I don't know what you'd have to smoke to feel individualized by your talents now.

forty on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd love a 3rd-spec if it activated any time you entered into a PvP-specific zone (e.g., Battle of [X], BG, or Arena).

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh for sure talents don't lend themselves to any kind of uniqueness anymore. They pretty much killed all the hybrid specs.

But people still strive to be unique somehow. A guild on my realm hit rank 25 the other day. Not long after at least one of them was sitting by the bank on his new scorpion mount. There's one guy who has the Phoenix mount(Alar) who *loves* showing that off. He'll sit there for hours. Likewise there's a druid who loves to show off the rare mounts he's collected. If it's not mounts then it's appearance changing vanity items.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The funny thing about the scorpion mount thing, is that the first guilds to unlock it are all huge-to-zerg size guilds, so becoming one of the first kids on the block to get one means there are at least a hundred others who can do the same.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Poketpixie wrote: »

Heh, sure. But there's always someone else standing right next to them that can pop up the same title, materalize the same dragon or sparkle pony, etc. at any time.

Even if you did manage to snag something that is actually extremely rare like an AQ mount or Ashes of Al'ar, it's that which makes you feel distinguished, certainly not your talent spec. Maybe back in the days when you could pull off some variant spec like a shockadin you could feel some vague sense of uniqueness (even then, not really, since there were other people copying that same spec from the internet, but let's just say you did), but with the way talent specs work now, I don't know what you'd have to smoke to feel individualized by your talents now.

This kind of mindset applies to all video games. Oh look, this person can get this score in Tetris, but so can that guy. Oh, this dude has this kill:death ratio in FPS-game-#1981, but so does that other dude.

Henroid on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And? It's still something a lot of players want, and the game isn't hurt by opening up options and giving people more to do.

Actually it is. Balance goes all to shit the more respeccing options you get and the easier you make it. The more specs you introduce, the more specialized for a very specific task each spec gets because you can pick and choose for each specific scenario without penalty. And that goes against the entire idea of specialization in the first place and makes choices and tradeoffs even more meaningless.
    Specifics? What balance goes all to shit with three specs? Or four specs? At which point does this nebulous scenario kick in? Has it already come into play with two specs? Shit, our OT can go DPS on Atramedes because we only need one tank!

The more specs you have, the more specialized each one can be. That means taking the specific combination of talents that make me best at my roll in this encounter, and then switching to another for the next encounter. (Hey this boss has alot of adds, lemme switch to this spec that has all the AoE boosts. Oh, next boss has no adds, let me switch out of all my AoE talents and grab other ones instead) So if I have, say, infinite specs, I can do this in any combination I can imagine. And once you can reasonably do it, the game has to be balanced on the assumption that you WILL do it.

It also makes choices in spec even less meaningful. I'm only making a choice for a specific fight and not for how my character plays in general. The trade-off nature of talents becomes even more of a joke.

And it has, I'm sure with some hardcore types, already come into play with 2 specs. And with every spec you add, it comes more and more into play. Which is, you know, why they are so reluctant to add additional ones. Each additional spec is another step in that direction and they want to discourage that behavior as much as possible. There's a balance between offering versatility and giving too much versatility so that specialization becomes more meaningless and the game has to be balanced around assuming you have the exact perfect talent spec for every encounter. It's a sliding scale.

They seem to feel 2 is a good balance. I could see 3 personally (tank or heal/DPS/PVP) as a good place to be, but 2 works fine as well. This is compounded also by the fact that some specs only do 2 roles (PvE/PvP) and some can do like 8 (druids).

It's not a nebulous scenario just because you don't understand the idea.

shryke on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh hey, another Call to Arms.

I shall not return until Blizzard starts giving tanks tax breaks and free beer for every dungeon run they undergo.

Also, I demand wenches. Tanks get all the wenches, while the other roles have to sit and watch.

After all, why bother tanking if an inferior role can have a wench? It's just plain anarchy. People will be all like "geez, anyone can have a wench" and quit in droves.

If these changes are not made by midnight tonight, then the player base shall forever remain unbalanced and servers will empty within a week.

naengwen on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After some of the pugs I've carried through, a beer at the end would be awesome. I'm tepidly supporting this, but it doesn't address the underlying issue. Tanking and healing are far, far more difficult and stressful, disproportionately so in my opinion.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Turkson wrote: »
    After some of the pugs I've carried through, a beer at the end would be awesome. I'm tepidly supporting this, but it doesn't address the underlying issue. Tanking and healing are far, far more difficult and stressful, disproportionately so in my opinion.

Don't think that's the real problem, though it is a symptom, and it does lead into a much bigger problem.

I'd say root for the band-aids. Fat chance that any of the above will ever be addressed in WoW. GOOOO BEER!

naengwen on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As a tank, all I can muster up for this system is this: Meh.

-Don't give a shit about non-combat pets. Never used them, never will.
    -Don't give a shit about mounts. They're nice and all, but all I use now is my helicopter. Besides, knowing Blizzard, the chance will probably be something like 0.1%, meaning statistically I'll likely never get one to drop for me, therefore it's a non-factor. Not to mention the public reaction to rare mounts. More often than not, the default reaction to seeing somebody on a super rare mount is "Fucker must have ninjaed it", so why bother subjecting myself to that avenue of abuse?

So really, this does absolutely nothing for me. I don't queue solo because I don't want to deal with the headache of tanking. More and more the player base is distilling into two groups. On the left, your drooling idiots who can't play and will wipe the group on every pull. On the right, your hyper elite who will shit all over you because you're doing 1 dps less than you should be. And I don't want to deal with either group.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, are people right in saying that this Call to Arms bonus junk only works if the tank is queueing solo? If so, that's spectacularly lame.

Javen on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    So, are people right in saying that this Call to Arms bonus junk only works if the tank is queueing solo? If so, that's spectacularly lame.

The latest patch notes say yes.

Whatever class comes up for the CtA must queue alone and complete the dungeon in order to get the bag.

EDIT:
    Players must queue solo with the currently indicated least represented class (by the system) and complete the dungeon up to and including the final boss in order to be eligible for the bonus reward.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Solo queuing probably specifically to prevent tanks from double dipping and getting a pet, and the 100g fee they seem to currently charge.

I'm waiting for Mages: Call To Arms: Portal to Dalaran

Jasconius on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seeing how the whole intended point of the system is to deal with queue times, absolutely nothing would be accomplished if they let tanks go in with 3 friends and 1 random.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What I am thinking is, who are the people that are not convinced to tank when offered 40 minutes of their life back, but are convinced if you add in a 1% chance at a pet? I don't know if I see this really convincing anyone to switch specs that wasn't already doing it just to get their damn heroic done...
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Mages: Call To Arms: Portal to Dalaran

This is a splendid idea.

Or Call To Arms: Shadowspirit Diamond Transmute

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Call to Arms: Enchant Weapon: 30 Spellpower

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    naengwen wrote: »

I shall not return until Blizzard starts giving tanks tax breaks and free beer for every dungeon run they undergo.

Here

Aeyther on
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The more specs you have, the more specialized each one can be. That means taking the specific combination of talents that make me best at my roll in this encounter, and then switching to another for the next encounter. (Hey this boss has alot of adds, lemme switch to this spec that has all the AoE boosts. Oh, next boss has no adds, let me switch out of all my AoE talents and grab other ones instead) So if I have, say, infinite specs, I can do this in any combination I can imagine. And once you can reasonably do it, the game has to be balanced on the assumption that you WILL do it.

It also makes choices in spec even less meaningful. I'm only making a choice for a specific fight and not for how my character plays in general. The trade-off nature of talents becomes even more of a joke.

And it has, I'm sure with some hardcore types, already come into play with 2 specs. And with every spec you add, it comes more and more into play. Which is, you know, why they are so reluctant to add additional ones. Each additional spec is another step in that direction and they want to discourage that behavior as much as possible. There's a balance between offering versatility and giving too much versatility so that specialization becomes more meaningless and the game has to be balanced around assuming you have the exact perfect talent spec for every encounter. It's a sliding scale.

They seem to feel 2 is a good balance. I could see 3 personally (tank or heal/DPS/PVP) as a good place to be, but 2 works fine as well. This is compounded also by the fact that some specs only do 2 roles (PvE/PvP) and some can do like 8 (druids).

Well...

There is no limit on the number of respecs you can do at a trainer. I mean, what's the argument here, you have never and no one you know has ever respecced for that one specific fight? It's already - and has been for years - a convenience tax, not the pillars keeping the balance-sky in place. The "hardcore" has been able to adapt to specific encounters since vanilla, and we havn't fallen down the slippery slope of changing classes yet.

Secondly, we're already pretty specialized. It's not about being "dedicated" to PvE and PvP at the same time, it's about being able to meaningfully contribute to one without excluding oneself from participation in the other. I think we're already at the point were you can either show up in a PvE spec or you can GTFO the raid, because the encounters aren't - have they ever been since maybe parts of vanilla? - balanced around the idea that you're in your PvP spec. Or some JOAT spec. Is there actually room to make the game more spec tuned than it already is?

Calixtus on
    -This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Aeyther wrote: »
    naengwen wrote: »

Here

Was thinking more like:

grimbergen.jpg

naengwen on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cncaudata wrote: »
    What I am thinking is, who are the people that are not convinced to tank when offered 40 minutes of their life back, but are convinced if you add in a 1% chance at a pet? I don't know if I see this really convincing anyone to switch specs that wasn't already doing it just to get their damn heroic done...

That is the basic misconception that's also keeping up Muffin Man and lot's of others. I already said this 10ish pages before, but what can you do: The targets of the CtA system aren't people playing as DPS. People playing as DPS already have an incentive to tank heroics: They get shorter queue times.

The target is tanks that don't need loot from heroics. There's lots of raid tanks (or even just heroic geared tanks) that never queue for heroics, because they have literally no incentive. None. They don't care about Valor points and there's faster ways to make gold. If they queue, they queue with their guild to to gear out some alt or generate guild XP or whatever.

The goodie bag adds an incentive to queue solo for these tanks. That's why it's restricted to heroics and that's why it's restricted to solo queuing. CtA is supposed to re-enter tanks into the system that can carry a group by themselves.

And I don't know if anyone noticed, but 4.1 also severely nerfs several heroics so both tanking and healing will get easier. Maybe not WotLK-level easy, but definitely easier than now. It's not like CtA is the only step Blizz' is taking to fix the queues.

Grobian on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As someone who only (currently! i'm slowly leveling a priest i intend to heal with) dps, i am tentatively happy with this change if it actually reduces queue times for dps by a good amount (my average right now is 20-25mins with spikes of upto 30-35mins).

If it can get queue times down to like, 10-15 that'd be awesome, sure i'd like a shot at easier to gain cross-faction pets and dungeon mounts (no matter how low the drops, it'd be nice).

Also the people complaining about dps complaining ('dps are getting shorter queues! what more do you want!') tanks and healers already get shorter queues and are generally able to 'control' the group as in kick dps (even if they are pulling good dps numbers/cc'ing properly and not pulling aggro) so try and understand it from our point of view aswell...

But like i said, even though i'm a semi pet/mount collector and would like a shot at bonus 'chances' to get the dungeon mounts, its not a big enough deal to me to complain about it aslong as it actually lowers the dungeon wait-times and isn't just a 'bonus' for tanks/less extent healers for doing what they are already doing with no queue time change.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grobian wrote: »
    The goodie bag adds an incentive to queue solo for these tanks. That's why it's restricted to heroics and that's why it's restricted to solo queuing. CtA is supposed to re-enter tanks into the system that can carry a group by themselves.

I'm not buying it, raid geared tanks could easily just solo the dungeons that contain the mounts (there has been no indication that the drop rate will be higher) and I doubt the money/items will be sufficient to change their minds. Now if there were unique items that might change but then they would be going back on their own policy of now punishing people over what class they play.

In my opinion what this will do is lead to people that currently dps either respeccing or rerolling. This will lead to undergeared/inexperienced tanks and healers joining the queue. There is nothing wrong with that but it won't solve the frustration, just move it from the queue times to running the instances.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Uuuuugggghhhh fucking Nef is stumbling my guild. We have the strat down but our execution is poor. Missed kicks on phase 2 fuck us a lot. It sucks because we worked out phase 3 kiting just fine but what's that? Fire on both his sides? Well fuck. I'm not even sure what we can do at this point to make it better. We just need to be better players and that a lot less tangible.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Calixtus wrote: »

Well...

There is no limit on the number of respecs you can do at a trainer. I mean, what's the argument here, you have never and no one you know has ever respecced for that one specific fight? It's already - and has been for years - a convenience tax, not the pillars keeping the balance-sky in place. The "hardcore" has been able to adapt to specific encounters since vanilla, and we havn't fallen down the slippery slope of changing classes yet.

Secondly, we're already pretty specialized. It's not about being "dedicated" to PvE and PvP at the same time, it's about being able to meaningfully contribute to one without excluding oneself from participation in the other. I think we're already at the point were you can either show up in a PvE spec or you can GTFO the raid, because the encounters aren't - have they ever been since maybe parts of vanilla? - balanced around the idea that you're in your PvP spec. Or some JOAT spec. Is there actually room to make the game more spec tuned than it already is?

It really isn't that difficult to do raids in a pvp spec unless you are a tank. I heal raids in a pvp heal spec on my pally because his offspec is ret.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heroth wrote: »
    As someone who only (currently! i'm slowly leveling a priest i intend to heal with) dps, i am tentatively happy with this change if it actually reduces queue times for dps by a good amount (my average right now is 20-25mins with spikes of upto 30-35mins).

If it can get queue times down to like, 10-15 that'd be awesome, sure i'd like a shot at easier to gain cross-faction pets and dungeon mounts (no matter how low the drops, it'd be nice).

Also the people complaining about dps complaining ('dps are getting shorter queues! what more do you want!') tanks and healers already get shorter queues and are generally able to 'control' the group as in kick dps (even if they are pulling good dps numbers/cc'ing properly and not pulling aggro) so try and understand it from our point of view aswell...

But like i said, even though i'm a semi pet/mount collector and would like a shot at bonus 'chances' to get the dungeon mounts, its not a big enough deal to me to complain about it aslong as it actually lowers the dungeon wait-times and isn't just a 'bonus' for tanks/less extent healers for doing what they are already doing with no queue time change.

Isn't a dungeon kick a majority vote? That means that at least one of the other DPS (maybe both) votes to kick the person. A tank and a healer cannot kick whoever they want without at least one other person (DPS) agreeing with them. Sorry, I can't really understand your point of view.

Zomro on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zomro wrote: »
    Heroth wrote: »

Isn't a dungeon kick a majority vote? That means that at least one of the other DPS (maybe both) votes to kick the person. A tank and a healer cannot kick whoever they want without at least one other person (DPS) agreeing with them. Sorry, I can't really understand your point of view.

his point is that if a vote kick is started people almost always just click yes especially if the tank demands that person to be kicked

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    RobojoeRobojoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey all, just coming back and am rerolling a Rogue
    Never played one, I'm just wondering if you guys had a good baseline levelling spec
    as most of the one's I've found are from forever ago or want me to spend 50 dollars for a levelling guide....

Robojoe on
    Xbox: Mr J0se/LoL: Robojoe
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When you say things like "our" perspective you forget that a lot of us do have pure DPS characters. My main is a pure DPS, my alt is a Tank / DPS. My hunter doesn't need anything ever, but my DK sure does.

Also, level as whatever you want :P

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    RobojoeRobojoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I figured i'd go combat as it is the easiest to get weapons for and seems geared towards levelling, and as far as speccing goes, with dual spec at 30 for like 10gold and respeccing being cheap as hell i guess it doesnt matter.

Robojoe on
    Xbox: Mr J0se/LoL: Robojoe
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hear good things about whatever rogue spec has shadowstep, as in "i twoshot everything" with that spec

belligerent on
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Further developments:
    We’ve been following discussions and reading feedback on the Dungeon Finder Call to Arms feature, and appreciate everyone’s opinions on the topic. We wanted to share a few items though that supplement the recent announcement:

The additional reward for completing the Dungeon Finder Call to Arms (called the Satchel of Exotic Mysteries) will be Bind on Account; able to be freely sent to other characters on your account once you receive it.

An error existed in the announcement regarding flasks and potions being picked based on your spec. This is not the case. If someone earns a Satchel of Exotic Mysteries, and if it rolls the random chance to provide a potion or flask, it will be a randomly selected. This helps ensure a broad array of available flasks and potions for all characters.

We also wanted to clarify, mounts that have a possibility to be found in a Satchel of Exotic Mysteries are found with the same rarity as if you had slain the dungeon boss that normally drops them.

BoA should make people who have mount farms on non-tank characters happier, at least.

mattclem on
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh joy, last night marked the 3rd night in a row that my DPS queue took 45 minutes and still counting. Ended up having to log out prior to even getting into a group as I ran out of time to play. I would have gladly given my own damn mount to a tank.

mturalon on
This discussion has been closed.