As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] Fake Democratic primary contenders ahoy!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, who would have guessed the one #wisconsin county that had "hidden" votes was run by GOP clerk w/ history of fraud: http://bit.ly/h1ulll
    http://twitter.com/#!/AugustJPollak

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ......and the court that would actually rule on the matter is a party to the matter.

Hilarious.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I called it as soon as I knew it was going to be close. :-/

Yay voter fraud.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Right now there are a dozen Illinois politicos in a dark, smoky room trying to figure out how they're going to take back the theatrical corruption trophy at next year's convention.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Right now there are a dozen Illinois politicos in a dark, smoky room trying to figure out how they're going to take back the theatrical corruption trophy at next year's convention.

Isn't Illinois slightly behind Florida in that department?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Isn't Illinois slightly behind Florida in that department?

Nuts to you guys.

We elect morons to the government so we can catch them if they get corrupt.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For some reason it makes me laugh that they found those 14,000 votes and the totals were

Prosser: 10,859

Kloppenburg: 3,456

3-4-5-6

I realize it's a coincidence, but it IS a funny one.

Also a coincidence that the 10,000 makes the margin of victory just enough that Kloppenburg has to pay for the entire recount.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A wild 7,500 VOTES appears!

>Item

>Pokeball

PROSSER uses POKEBALL!

It's super effective!

7,500 votes caught!

This is sketchy as fuck.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That clerk seems like a smarmy, incompetant bitch.
    Added Schneider: "Nickolaus cited security concerns for keeping the data herself -- yet when she reported the data, it did not include the City of Brookfield, whose residents cast nearly 14,000 votes."

The Waukesha County Board also heavily criticized the clerk after she brushed aside their recommendations for improving election security. At one point during a hearing in January, board chairman Jim Dwyer grew exasperated with Nickolaus and said, "There really is nothing funny about this, Kathy. Don't sit there and grin when I'm explaining what this is about."

"Wisconsin deserves elections that are fair, clean and transparent," said Scot Ross, the executive director of the progressive advocacy group One Wisconsin Now. "There is a history of secrecy and partisanship surrounding the Waukesha County Clerk and there remain unanswered questions."

Lady, you've had to dodge corruption charges before. It might behoove you to take your fucking job seriously.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    7500 probably pushes this out of auto-recount status.

That is super sketchy.

This whole thing is really starting to stink.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That clerk seems like a smarmy, incompetant bitch.
    Added Schneider: "Nickolaus cited security concerns for keeping the data herself -- yet when she reported the data, it did not include the City of Brookfield, whose residents cast nearly 14,000 votes."

The Waukesha County Board also heavily criticized the clerk after she brushed aside their recommendations for improving election security. At one point during a hearing in January, board chairman Jim Dwyer grew exasperated with Nickolaus and said, "There really is nothing funny about this, Kathy. Don't sit there and grin when I'm explaining what this is about."

"Wisconsin deserves elections that are fair, clean and transparent," said Scot Ross, the executive director of the progressive advocacy group One Wisconsin Now. "There is a history of secrecy and partisanship surrounding the Waukesha County Clerk and there remain unanswered questions."

Lady, you've had to dodge corruption charges before. It might behoove you to take your fucking job seriously.

She's got the Governor, the Legislature, and the Supreme Court of the State of Wisconsin on their knees thanking her right now.

She'll be fine.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm guessing there's probably nothing anyone can do about this? Just eat the corruption and move on?

Derrick on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    I'm guessing there's probably nothing anyone can do about this? Just eat the corruption and move on?

Barring vigilante justice, I say we cut Wisconsin loose and just move on. Maybe Guam can take over as our 50th state.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Extreme incompetence isn't the same as corruption.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

It's not that it's extreme, it's that it's so convenient.

I like to think I'd be equally suspicious if 10,000 votes suddenly appeared for Kloppenburg, but I can't promise that.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

No

But that doesn't preclude both

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Kloppenburg can still ask for a recall outside the .5% threshold, she just has to pay for it.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Barring vigilante justice, I say we cut Wisconsin loose and just move on. Maybe Guam can take over as our 50th state.

I like that idea. :P

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Kloppenburg can still ask for a recall outside the .5% threshold, she just has to pay for it.

Would a recount out the fact that 7000 votes just appeared in your opponent's favor were fraudulent? Otherwise, what's the point?

They put the results and voting integrity off the grid, in a closed system, who's only user/administrator is a Republican that is none-too-bright. /sigh. It's time to put individual state voting systems to bed and start having stringent national standards. Cheating the people out of their voice, or even making it stupidly easy to do, undermines the entire democracy.

Derrick on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skulkraken wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

I like that idea. :P

That is suspiciously good timing

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Would a recount out the fact that 7000 votes just appeared in your opponent's favor were fraudulent? Otherwise, what's the point?

They put the results and voting integrity off the grid, in a closed system, who's only user/administrator is a Republican that is none-too-bright. /sigh. It's time to put individual state voting systems to bed and start having stringent national standards. Cheating the people out of their voice, or even making it stupidly easy to do, undermines the entire democracy.
    It depends on whether they added them to the system, or are just reporting them.

I'm not sure how the systems work, but I'd guess there's some sort of timestamping at play that could see that 14k votes were cast the day after the election.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2011

Yes. If a recall is done properly, every vote legally cast is counted, and only those votes are recorded.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Remember when a bunch of Waukesha precincts reported in and the vote didn't lurch in Prosser's favor like we all feared it would? In fact, it scarcely changed at all?
    According to AP, 1/3 of unreported precincts are in Waukesha :/
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Waukeshee jumped to full reporting with no change, empty precincts all up ins. 1.6k on 1.4M, 0.13% difference.

I do.

And now they're saying they found missing votes from that county. I haven't really dug into the details here, but at first glance it seems possible, more possible than a big chunk of precincts in a county that conservative not turning out a single vote on this issue.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

At the press conference, the error was confirmed by the Democrat as well... Democratic canvass watcher Ramona Kitzinger was also at the press conference.

“We went over everything & made sure the numbers jibed up and they did,” Kitzinger said. “We’re satisfied that it’s correct.”

Looks like stupidity, not corruption.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Let's not jump ahead and say this was corruption.

The recount is going to happen either way, even if this pushes it out of state-funded territory, because there are enough Democratic interests at stake to pay for it.

I wonder, if the recount determines that the margin is smaller than reported and within the fraction that the state pays for, if they'd pay for it retroactively.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    spool32 wrote: »

At the press conference, the error was confirmed by the Democrat as well... Democratic canvass watcher Ramona Kitzinger was also at the press conference.

“We went over everything & made sure the numbers jibed up and they did,” Kitzinger said. “We’re satisfied that it’s correct.”

So someone already suspected of corruption once, now just happens to be stupid in favor of her party. Man thats a hell of a coincidence.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

So someone already suspected of corruption once, now just happens to be stupid in favor of her party. Man thats a hell of a coincidence.

I'm only saying the Democratic pollwatcher confirms her story. If it's corruption, from this quote it appears to be bipartisan corruption. Also, this is a persuasive argument.

Edit: Sentiment echoed from election night, at the 11:43 update.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Remember when a bunch of Waukesha precincts reported in and the vote didn't lurch in Prosser's favor like we all feared it would? In fact, it scarcely changed at all?
    According to AP, 1/3 of unreported precincts are in Waukesha :/
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Waukeshee jumped to full reporting with no change, empty precincts all up ins. 1.6k on 1.4M, 0.13% difference.

I do.

And now they're saying they found missing votes from that county. I haven't really dug into the details here, but at first glance it seems possible, more possible than a big chunk of precincts in a county that conservative not turning out a single vote on this issue.
    As I recall, the original numbers, pre-jump, required precincts distinctly larger than those in the other counties, and the jump was the correction of a clerical error. But I could be wrong.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It depends on whether they added them to the system, or are just reporting them.

I'm not sure how the systems work, but I'd guess there's some sort of timestamping at play that could see that 14k votes were cast the day after the election.

It's probably not corruption, but if you control a closed system with no other administrators, faking timestamps becomes trivial. You don't even go in an edit anything, you just set the damned clock back and turn off ntp for an hour. Look, my ctimes are solid!

And a recount wouldn't go into system audits to catch it.

What shocks me is that this person told IT "yeah, no, I'll just run this production system under my fucking desk" and nobody had her forcibly removed from the building. This is after, according to the prior story, they switched off of a prior platform and all her code stopped working, so they gave her a standalone old system DB. What the hell half assed shop is that. Seriously, just yank her admin privs everywhere, and get building security to let you in to repossess her servers every time she stands one up. Nobody should be allowing that kind of absolute batshit crazy.

Developer for 15 years. Yeah, I know exactly the kind of developer, too. The one that runs production code secretly under their desk by misusing a vpn client and some clever ssh tunneling and innocent firewall rule requests to bypass the firewalls that would prevent that bullshit from happening.

</vent>

kildy on
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As a Minnesotan, I gotta say WTF on so many votes being 'found'. Since we have had two major recounts here just recently, and the totals of votes that were discovered during that process were typically in the low hundreds at the most... Either this person is corrupt or they need to get their ass fired for being so incredibly incompetent.

Phant on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Would a recount out the fact that 7000 votes just appeared in your opponent's favor were fraudulent?

WHAT THE HELL. Did that happen?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm not going to lie.

If I was a Wisconsin Democrat, I'd be eying my pitchfork right about now.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Phant wrote: »
    As a Minnesotan, I gotta say WTF on so many votes being 'found'. Since we have had two major recounts here just recently, and the totals of votes that were discovered during that process were typically in the low hundreds at the most... Either this person is corrupt or they need to get their ass fired for being so incredibly incompetent.

Signs are pointing towards "incompetant" with a side helping of "arrogant fuckwit."

And yeah, if Wisconsin is anything like Minnesota (and it is, for all values that don't involve green, gold, or purple), that shit won't go unanswered.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lol wut?

Must be nice to "find" just enough votes to cancel the automatic recount.

Nickolaus needs to be fired for extreme incompetence, given that this is the second major incident on her watch. Can you imagine the outrage if the situation was reversed?

Assuran on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    kildy wrote: »

It's probably not corruption, but if you control a closed system with no other administrators, faking timestamps becomes trivial. You don't even go in an edit anything, you just set the damned clock back and turn off ntp for an hour. Look, my ctimes are solid!

And a recount wouldn't go into system audits to catch it.

What shocks me is that this person told IT "yeah, no, I'll just run this production system under my fucking desk" and nobody had her forcibly removed from the building. This is after, according to the prior story, they switched off of a prior platform and all her code stopped working, so they gave her a standalone old system DB. What the hell half assed shop is that. Seriously, just yank her admin privs everywhere, and get building security to let you in to repossess her servers every time she stands one up. Nobody should be allowing that kind of absolute batshit crazy.

Developer for 15 years. Yeah, I know exactly the kind of developer, too. The one that runs production code secretly under their desk by misusing a vpn client and some clever ssh tunneling and innocent firewall rule requests to bypass the firewalls that would prevent that bullshit from happening.

</vent>

The fellow talks sense. Whoever is running their IT shop should probably also be fired.

spool32 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This seems incredibly apt:
    FoxTalal-analysts.jpg

I suppose it is theoreticly possible that this is a legitimate error but the sheer volume of factors in this are all but screaming corruption.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not going to lie.

If I was a Wisconsin Democrat, I'd be eying my pitchfork right about now.

As a Wisconsin Democrat, I'm just putting my face in both palms and trying to think of a way out of this mess.

"30 square miles surrounded by reality" indeed

Veevee on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    as a wi democrat i'm currently debating the benefits of moving to zaire.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    as a wi democrat i'm currently debating the benefits of moving to zaire.

I'm headed to Florida in May so I'm ahead of you there!

Veevee on
This discussion has been closed.